Depressing realisation

Stop Mocking Me0

WARNING SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING CUTSCENE OF GOROD KROVI!  Also don't read if you don't want to be super sad whilst playing BO1 or WAW zombies... 

I just realized what nikolai and Nikolai were talking about. 

His wife.  

She died.  In the bombings...  The rest was a delusional fantasy.  

He...  Is talking about wives 2-10.... They weren't real.  NONE of them were real.  He just made them up in drunken stupor...  That's why we never hear about Nikolai's first wife in the first games. That's why Origins Nikolai never talks about any of his wives. I always thought it was because he hadn't met them yet.... But 9 wives in 20ish years...  I think...  Well...  That's my theory anyways... 

Dear God...  Poor Nikolai...  That's the pain he's felt for so long...  

:(

Update: WAW bios kinda debunk this theory somewhat that Nikolai didn't have 9 other wives.  Still.  It would have been all the more torturous to see that...  

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if that is true for certain. I mean, we have intel and biographies, not just Nikolai's word, about his wives. Are we just to assume that it was all wrong? All lies? I trust the intel and biographies far more than the drunkard's word.

Personally I interpreted it to simply mean that the reason he had so many wives was to make up for the loss of his first one, the only one he really cared about.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, ZombieOfTheDead said:

This was discussed on reddit a bit. Considering the bios and such, there's a possibility that that stuff is faked, ideas implanted in their heads by Richtofen after the experiments on them. Makes sense since some things don't really line up with what we know of the characters as they currently are.

Like what? I wasn't aware there weren't things that lined up.

Just now, Tac said:

Like what? I wasn't aware there weren't things that lined up.

Their current personalities for one. Takeo is supposedly a very honorable samurai, going so far even as to draw the ire of the emperor himself, and is presented as a very decent human being both in origins form and his 1.0 form from ZnS that has all his memories. The bio says he cut off the tails of kittens when he was young, and one quote says that he slaughtered his own family for their insolence. Now, what honorable warrior does that?

Richtofen-- all that stuff about him being a back alley doctor, and the "Beware the Doc" messages. With all he had on his plate regarding his experiments, it seems a bit much. The same goes with Nikolai, he's had like 50 different jobs and married like 10 women. It's just a little far fetched is all. It would make sense that it was either all in his head, or he had memory implants. Dempsey really doesn't have much to go off of to be perfectly honest.

It might be a bit reaching, but it is just a theory after all.

Well, yes, according to the bios, cutting the tails off of kittens with your sword is considered honorable. All the stuff with Takeo added to his personality, but it didn't necessarily contradict the bio. Same with Richtofen. The bios gave us more info about their backstory than 10 levels of quotes.

Also, the bios were written with the intention that they were intel gathered by Marines. That's how the bios were presented on Treyarch's website back in the day.

14 minutes ago, MysteryMachineX said:

Well, yes, according to the bios, cutting the tails off of kittens with your sword is considered honorable. All the stuff with Takeo added to his personality, but it didn't necessarily contradict the bio. Same with Richtofen. The bios gave us more info about their backstory than 10 levels of quotes.

Also, the bios were written with the intention that they were intel gathered by Marines. That's how the bios were presented on Treyarch's website back in the day.

Back in the day, yes. If I remember correctly, the description for SNN back in the day mentioned combat happening during the course of the map or something of the like, so how can we really call reports by marines relevant? It's there as sort of a third party thing, not really relevant to what is at hand. The bios themselves, baring the marine thing, were later put in game and are very relevant because of that. However, that doesn't mean that it has to be the whole truth.

It's just this conjecture since we don't have anything truly concrete, but I would like to think our characters weren't always horrible people at heart, since the Origins characters aren't presented as being all that bad. Nikolai likely would have begun his political shtick right after the WWI, I don't think I'd believe he would fall so hard so fast.

I hadn't really considered it until you mentioned it, but I never really saw it that way with the characters. That way being, WWII versions of them were much like the WWI versions of them except that they lived on into WWII. So, WWI = the four Heroes. WWI + WWII = the four test Subjects.

But that's not really how I see it. The WWII versions of them, the test subjects, from the original timeline and this one, have never, not even once, mentioned anything to do with World War I. Nikolai couldn't stoop so low since World War I, because he was never part of World War I, not significantly anyway. I get the WWII versions look older, but that'd make them 50 years old each. I just think that Origins was an alternate timeline or universe or whatnot, where they were in World War I instead of II. Therefore, the bios are some of the only history we really have for the Subjects. The honorable Takeo and drunken Nikolai and subject experiments only occurred later.

I do have a question though. If Tank, Nikolai, Takeo, and Richtofen were supposed to be test subjects, why don't we see them as such? Tank? He was in a test pod. So good. Takeo? Well he was imprisoned by D9, so close enough. Richtofen? He showed no signs of testing, but Richtofen always has exceptions, so I'll let that slide. Nikolai? He's out fighting in the war. So I suppose the solution is that this time around Group 935 may have better technology but were just absolutely horrible when it comes to keeping track of their POWs!

• Administrators
6 hours ago, ZombieOfTheDead said:

It's just this conjecture since we don't have anything truly concrete, but I would like to think our characters weren't always horrible people at heart, since the Origins characters aren't presented as being all that bad. Nikolai likely would have begun his political shtick right after the WWI, I don't think I'd believe he would fall so hard so fast.

PTSD can hit hard and fast over 20 years.

14 minutes ago, MysteryMachineX said:

But that's not really how I see it. The WWII versions of them, the test subjects, from the original timeline and this one, have never, not even once, mentioned anything to do with World War I. Nikolai couldn't stoop so low since World War I, because he was never part of World War I, not significantly anyway. I get the WWII versions look older, but that'd make them 50 years old each. I just think that Origins was an alternate timeline or universe or whatnot, where they were in World War I instead of II. Therefore, the bios are some of the only history we really have for the Subjects. The honorable Takeo and drunken Nikolai and subject experiments only occurred later.

All these universes are simultaneous, mate. Dr. Monty has confirmed it. There is no "alternate," as they are all alternates of one another; however, without a doubt, the test subjects were also involved in WWI, as their ages do leave room for that. None of them should have been at war, being 45+ years old, but it makes sense considering their background. Nikolai was sent to the front lines for political reasons, Tank was a gung-ho marine whose life was about nothing more, and Takeo was a Samurai. He would never have hesitated to fight in WWII regardless of age.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, NaBrZHunter said:

All these universes are simultaneous, mate. Dr. Monty has confirmed it. There is no "alternate," as they are all alternates of one another; however, without a doubt, the test subjects were also involved in WWI, as their ages do leave room for that. None of them should have been at war, being 45+ years old, but it makes sense considering their background. Nikolai was sent to the front lines for political reasons, Tank was a gung-ho marine whose life was about nothing more, and Takeo was a Samurai. He would never have hesitated to fight in WWII regardless of age.

The Monty quote to support all universe happening at the same time is as follows (emphasis mine):

Alright, so you’ve got this universe. This big, change-y, already-volatile universe, and then you shatter it with a hammer, a metaphorical hammer, and it cracks and splinters into a million other universes, all coexisting at exactly the same time. Do you have any idea how difficult that is to keep track of? I may be omnipotent, but I can’t be everywhere.

1 hour ago, Tac said:

The Monty quote to support all universe happening at the same time is as follows (emphasis mine):

Hm... So that seems to support a sort of hybrid divergent timeline / parallel multiverse idea. It also explains how the million universes are referred as a single universe sometimes, because they used to be singular. Now personally, I'd argue that

2 divergent timelines, where n is the point of divergence, and n is an indefinite time in the past, is equal to 2 parallel universes as n approaches negative infinity.

But since it is not 100% one or the other. I guess the only real way you can summarize, fully, what theory of a multiverse this story entails would be the Fracturing Universe Hypothesis by Dr. Edward Richtofen. Or Dr. Monty. Whichever came first.

Archived