So overall, did you like Zetsubou No Shima?

Rissole25

With the announcement of DLC 3 close by, I'd like to check what everyone else thinks of ZNS?

I enjoy this map, to an extent. I think the worse thing is just the setup and tedious task of going back and forth between plants and water. Now granted, you don't have to do that. You can play it like a normal map. But in this map, those things help you a lot, compared to Der Eisendrache were the Bow and Ragnarok help you not as much.

But I do enjoy the layout of this map. I like training on this map. The quotes are great. The Easter Egg is one of the more simple ones. The Spider Boss was a great surprise. There are tons of miniature easter eggs (Distant Monster, Doppelganger Jumpscare).

So overall, I would put this map in about the middle of all the maps, maybe just below the middle. It's just the setup can just be annoying.

What do you all think of the map.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy it. I went dark on the map, other than the reveal trailer, and the experience was awesome. Learning to do everything, like the plants was really challenging and it made the map much more exciting.

The layout was great and very reminiscent of Shi No Numa, which I liked. It felt like an older map so that was a plus for me. The Skull was overpowered, but the charge rate nerfed that. Also I like that the map wasn't overly "magical" like we've seen in every map since Origins. Also, it was difficult. The KT-4 wasn't overpowered and it didn't save you from literally everything like the bows and the DG-4 did. Also, the Thrashers were a manageable opponent but they still were challenging to deal with. I like them more than the Panzersoldat. 

There are, of course, grey areas. Where I didn't enjoy the map. The plants take much too long to set up and it in incredibly tedious when a zombie dies out before you can water a certain plant, not to mention remembering the orders and where the plant you were growing was. Also, I feel like the KT-4 was a little useless and it felt too much like the Sliquifier (I enjoyed that weapon, but the originality was lost) and it acted weirdly. I never managed to upgrade it, I know how to but I haven't played the map since I discovered the hidden plant spot.

Of course, since I haven't finished the Easter Egg, I can't comment on that. What I've completer thus far was enjoyable (the plane step was crazy). As I continue playing it during the wait for DLC 3 I'm sure I'll find more stuff and build a stronger opinion on the map.

I'd give it about an 8.5/10. There's room for improvement, but I find it to be a great map.

I really enjoy playing this map, This is my second favorite map, The Giant is first of course.

I like the layout, the creepy atmosphere of it, haven't managed to do the EE yet as I'm not fussed about them tbh plus I like playing Solo rather than with Randoms but this map is 9/10 for me and I don't get bored of playing it like I do with Shadows of Evil and Der Eisendrache.

Well... in my opinion this is the weakest zombie map of BO3 so far...

The set-up is too tedious for such a hard map in general. I find myself failing on round 15... And really not interested to try again right away since I already spent about an hour to get to that point.

Also I don't like the spores and Trashers... Sure it's what makes the map harder and there's the gas mask to protect you from the spores but still...

The underwater segments were interesting and worked suprisingly well, but I don't want it to come back in DLC3 and DLC4... Same for the plants, don't re-use it.

Skull Of Nan-Sapwe is awesome and pretty much a back-up plan on this map if you're about to get stuck... it was a bit overpowered at first (idk how it is atm, there's been at least 2 patches since I last played ZNS)

I also like the challenge the map offers since all other BO3 maps are pretty easy in my opinion. There are just few things that makes the map feel a bit unfair at some points.

So as a conclusion... the map is quite good after you have done everything and completely set-up for the high rounds, but it's just too tedious to even start a game on it... :P If I had to play zombies now... I'd probably play some of the other 3 maps although ZNS is my least played map in BO3... 

I stick with my score of 7/10.

The problem with this map is the running around. Turning on the power with buckets of water is pretty annoying. 

I hope things like this will be optional in future maps. I like the idea, but making it mandatory for noobs like me is just a bad idea.

I don't mind developer trying out new things and some maps will always be more appreciated than others. 

But I hope they keep an eye on the people who just want to play a little game of zombies. 

This map is a bit .... too much on the serious zombie tactics.  

I don't know how I really felt about this map. It didn't feel particularly good or bad or special to me in general.

I recognize all the effort and thought that went into it, I just wasn't its biggest fan. I didn't really like the ww, and I'm not a fan of the thrasher either, but it was still a decent map over all.

My third favorite on BO3 so far, better than SoE, but not as good as the giant or Der Eisendrache. I think with them packing SO MUCH into it, it made it hard to really get into a game, with so much set up, similarly to SoE.

6-7/10, decent. Looking forward to DLC 3.

Zetsubou is a good map but like most of the BO3 maps it's convoluted and tiresome after a few play through. Treyarch have become obsessed with the YouTube community and have now took zombies in a side quest laden direction that has lowered the tone completely and is now aimed at a much younger audience that originally intended. No wonder Jimmy decided to up sticks and move on.

The map itself, like all BO3 maps looks beautiful and is laid out nicely but the need to setup early becomes repetitive rather quickly. People can argue that early setup is not necessary but really it is if you want to have a good run. There is so much to do it become monotonous having to spend over an hour every time you want to play. Casual games seem to be a thing of the past. Also, like all maps so far it's too easy.

Treyarch have failed to balance the game-mode in BO3, so now all players are armed to the teeth with wonder weapons, special weapons, double PaP, shields and Widows Wine. Every map feels like you're playing Buried due to the overwhelming amount of crutches on offer. High rounds are no longer a serious challenge which in turn makes the mode boring for me.

If you're into BO3 zombies and the direction it has moved in then this map is great. If you're into killing zombies and having casual fun this map can be a turn off. 

8 hours ago, ZombieOfTheDead said:

Well... in my opinion this is the weakest zombie map of BO3 so far...

The set-up is too tedious for such a hard map in general. I find myself failing on round 15... And really not interested to try again right away since I already spent about an hour to get to that point.

Also I don't like the spores and Trashers... Sure it's what makes the map harder and there's the gas mask to protect you from the spores but still...

The underwater segments were interesting and worked suprisingly well, but I don't want it to come back in DLC3 and DLC4... Same for the plants, don't re-use it.

Skull Of Nan-Sapwe is awesome and pretty much a back-up plan on this map if you're about to get stuck... it was a bit overpowered at first (idk how it is atm, there's been at least 2 patches since I last played ZNS)

I also like the challenge the map offers since all other BO3 maps are pretty easy in my opinion. There are just few things that makes the map feel a bit unfair at some points.

So as a conclusion... the map is quite good after you have done everything and completely set-up for the high rounds, but it's just too tedious to even start a game on it... :P If I had to play zombies now... I'd probably play some of the other 3 maps although ZNS is my least played map in BO3... 

Ok my bad I was somehow logged on in @ZombieOfTheDead account without even realizing and posted this here... So it's my opinion not his and I'm sorry ZombieOfTheDead that I posted on your account because of a bug or something :(

11 hours ago, jiipee95 said:

Ok my bad I was somehow logged on in @ZombieOfTheDead account without even realizing and posted this here... So it's my opinion not his and I'm sorry ZombieOfTheDead that I posted on your account because of a bug or something :(

I was logged in as several other users lately. 

This website is broken and might need a patch.

There is a lot I dislike about ZNS, but I prefer the map itself to DE, I don't like knowing it'll be an hour set up when ever i play and i miss the casual games of zombies and fun games - grief should never have been removed. I also don't get why the KT-4 is garbage and theres a long process to upgrade it, i miss just getting the WW from the box and PaPing it. These maps aren't as easy as Buried though imo.

• Administrators

I thought that they were very ambitious with the extra game mechanics added into this DLC. I believe aside from glitches, the primary issues with map are that many of the extra features are more difficult than the Easter egg itself or simply being overwhelming to newer players. This resulted in quite a bit of the community moving on without exploring all of the "extras". Really it's ridiculous to compare these to some of older maps as though they still hold up. I think we have set trey arch to an impossible standard.

13 hours ago, Boom said:

Really it's ridiculous to compare these to some of older maps as though they still hold up. I think we have set trey arch to an impossible standard.

How can we, or Trearch for that matter, find out what the standard is then?

Everyone seems to like different maps, games, guns and whatnot. 

What is the zombie standard actually? 

Do you guys think they were there was too much experimentation in this map? Like I can expect gimmicks in maps and certain things, but it felt like there was so much new stuff going on here. The spores, the plants, the water, the power, as well as other gimmicks like a buildable Wonder Weapon (TranZit, Die Rise, Origins, Shadows of Evil). 3 things to open Pack-a-Punch isn't new, however the method is. It's not a big, grand, obvious method to do it, it's literally just hidden buildable items, which I think it shouldn't be. At least TranZit's were all located in the one room and were fairly obvious (literally the Pack-a-Punch itself).

The power is a bit annoying. Seemed like a good idea, but playing the map twice on one day diminished that thought. 

The Shangri-La power was fine. I'm ok with the Pack a Punch, it's just three doors and three parts pretty much. 

The Tranzit one was confusing at first and the fact that it closed after some time was pretty bogus, at least this one is activated for the rest of the game. 

Building a Wonder Weapon is fine by me. I'm not too fond of this one due to the watering a plant underwater part. 

Now to the experimenting part of the map, I welcome it. It's how the game mode elvoved from a bonus game to a real thing in the first place. 

As Shadows of Evil and Der Eisendrache re-used a lot of old mechanics, this has a nice twist to it.
Not that I actually want any of the new stuff to make it's return, but it brings a welcome change to things at the moment. 

Don't forget we fed the beast by being fond of all the fake Easter Eggs and all the stuff a player had to do to max out a game.

People still play Mob of the Dead and Origins every day. No wonder that Shadows and DE have become what they are. 

(And we had Shi no Numa and Shangri-La, so a map like this was to be expected.)

I suggest that the developers try to play their own work for a few weeks instead of inviting a whole bunch of Youtubers. 

Then they would know when things get tedious and what the average player could potentially want. 

Go water both labs 30 times a day because you suck at zombies and your all-time record on a map of choice is round 11, see how that turn out for you. 

Spoiler

I'm not salty, just trying to make a point. XD

Sure, we love and expect a story driven Easter Egg with an ending cutscene and all that, but in reality it's just 10-20% of the players that play like that. 

I liked the map, but didn't love it.

Good:

Spoiler

*Power- I personally loved the idea of fighting underwater to turn it on. It was innovative and a bit challenging at times.

*PaP- I thought it was cool because it wasn't that hard, but it prevents using the PaP too early. It was a tad long, but wasn't tedious.

*Trials of the Ancients- A great addition. It gave more to do and the rewards were good, and typically equal to the amount of effort needed for them.

*Atmosphere- Truly a masterpiece. Jason Blundell never ceases to amaze me with his ability to create a truly immersive atmosphere in his maps. Like SoE, ZnS's atmosphere is strange at first, but it starts to grow on you. It typically isn't until you put some time and research into the influences and background behind the map (i.e. Unit 731) that people really have an appreciation for the depth to the maps.

*Skull of Nan Sapwe- The skull is an incredible ww. It is extremely powerful, but balanced because of the limited use. Also, the story behind it and revealing things around the map was a really cool idea.

*Kusanagi no Tsurugi/ Masamune- I love this ww. It wasn't overpowered, but (especially post-patch) it is a viable weapon. It was innovative, unique, and entertaining to kill zombies with.

*Cyphers & Radios- Just like all the other maps so far in BO3, these are just as interesting.

*Character Quotes- Hilarious. Just hilarious. They get better every map.

*Thrashers- I love the fact that they are unpredictable. It is like Shangri-La where you don't know when to expect a boss. Adds a lot more tension to the map.

Moderate:

Spoiler

*Main EE- The ending was quite well-done, however the process was quite a letdown in my opinion (especially coming right after the DE EE, my personal favorite). The boss fight was brutal on your first attempt, however after you learn the layout it is extremely easy. The fact that you are only fixing an elevator was quite disappointing in my opinion.

*Plants- The plants themselves are well done and fitting with the theme of the map, however are in the moderate category because of the bugs with them

*Spiders- Really cool, but the unpredictable movement can be annoying. I like the challenge, but being surrounded out of nowhere and completely unable to move is a bit too far.

Bad:

Spoiler

*3 Zombie Kills As They Are Mutating- At first, this challenge wasn't too bad because you could easily force thrasher spawns. In a patch at some point they nerfed their spawns a bit, and now it is beyond difficult to get this challenge done before round 13.

*Upgrading to the Masamune- It's too long in my opinion. I really dislike being forced to do all trials to be able to get just one part of the upgrade. It is also annoying to water the plant underwater.

*The Bugs and Glitches- I do not believe elaboration is needed on this one.

Overall, I think it is a good map that I will continue to come back to over time.

I forgot about the character quotes. They're super! 

And yeah the atmosphere is amazing and the ambient sounds are even better. 

They did some great work on zombies in general and I'm looking forward to the coming maps. 

Or even Black Ops 4 for that matter, hahahah. 

Loved this map!  After playing and beating Easter Egg multiple time, some update or another has made it more difficult somehow.  Went on a month long drought till last night.  Some bugs but overall a decent map.  Last night, after dying shortly before the completion of the EE, I returned with a vengence only to go down in a horrible way 2 rounds later.  My friend hit me with the Phoenix and I came back from the dead WITH ALL PERKS!!!  Not all bugs can be bad, right?  absolutely a grand surprise that rejuvenated my hopes and dreams.  Died on Round 30, like 2 O'Clock in the morning, barely keeping my eyes awake.  By far, to date, last night was the most fun/aggravation I had experienced in a long time.  We literally fought Zetsubou from the very first round.  Lots of replayability due to the different challenges.  What do they have in store for us next?!?!?!

I loved the challanges and would love to see this again...on solo... but for coop i would love to see something like "group challenges" so that you dont need to wait for other players 

Like on der eisendrache - you could do the ee in coop solo if noone gets a bow upgrade

You theoretically only need the other three persons for the teleporter

On soe and zns you need three other people who know what to do you cannot do the challenges on zns for the others and you cannot do the egg step or upgrade the swords for others

I like playing with randoms but not for easter eggs and that they can block certain steps

i hope they dont add something like the skulls without a shared inventory - they patched it on soe so why dont do it in the next map right from the beginning 

3 hours ago, JJMFP said:

Loved this map!  After playing and beating Easter Egg multiple time, some update or another has made it more difficult somehow.  Went on a month long drought till last night.  Some bugs but overall a decent map.  Last night, after dying shortly before the completion of the EE, I returned with a vengence only to go down in a horrible way 2 rounds later.  My friend hit me with the Phoenix and I came back from the dead WITH ALL PERKS!!!  Not all bugs can be bad, right?  absolutely a grand surprise that rejuvenated my hopes and dreams.  Died on Round 30, like 2 O'Clock in the morning, barely keeping my eyes awake.  By far, to date, last night was the most fun/aggravation I had experienced in a long time.  We literally fought Zetsubou from the very first round.  Lots of replayability due to the different challenges.  What do they have in store for us next?!?!?!

Phoenix Up is meant to keep your perks

6 minutes ago, Greer said:

Phoenix Up is meant to keep your perks

You are absolutely correct, Greer.  

However, when I went down, right before the cut-scene, I eventually bleed out while the cut-scene is playing and did not recieve the infamous PERK-A-HOLIC for completing the EE.  Therefore, when I came back the next round, I scrambled to get four-five (4-5) perks to replace what I had already lost.  It was only upon going down a few rounds later (AGAIN!) that my co-op partner used a phoenix up to save.  It was only then that I was delighted to find a PERK-A-HOLIC upon my revival.  I never at any point in the game actual have all perks at once.  This is why it was a glitch/bug.

I agree with DeathBringerZen because it just gets too tedious to setup up and then as soon as you do, get trapped somehow and just get butt slapped by a thrasher and just sit there in astonishment at why you even put up with life.

I was just recently playing verruckt (as in about 20 minutes ago) but had to shut it off because there was a bad storm and I didn't want it to fry my ps3. Now don't get me wrong I love this map, it's probably IMO to be #2 behind the giant because SoE wasn't that great, even though it was fun when it came out, der iesendrache just got boring because of trying to make the bows to be returned with a panzer just to poop on you and it also took a while to setup. Zns is fun it just sucks running around to complete a step to get something to maybe survive the next few rounds and then after everyone goes down you don't want to play any longer because you don't want to sit there, taking at least 30-40 minutes running to get green water then having to go to the opposite side to water a plant, I just don't like doing that.

I'll give Zns a nice 7.5-8 because I really like the map and gamplay, just not running around to grab something. The only way I can play this game is by going to my buddies house and play because I don't have a x1 yet but I am saving and waiting for the x1 s to come out so I can snatch up that deal. BTW is there any downside to the x1 s? Besides the kinect port. Any info and comments about my post are and will be much appreciated

1 hour ago, JJMFP said:

You are absolutely correct, Greer.  

However, when I went down, right before the cut-scene, I eventually bleed out while the cut-scene is playing and did not recieve the infamous PERK-A-HOLIC for completing the EE.  Therefore, when I came back the next round, I scrambled to get four-five (4-5) perks to replace what I had already lost.  It was only upon going down a few rounds later (AGAIN!) that my co-op partner used a phoenix up to save.  It was only then that I was delighted to find a PERK-A-HOLIC upon my revival.  I never at any point in the game actual have all perks at once.  This is why it was a glitch/bug.

Okay, that makes much more sense. Congrats on lucking out! :p

Archived