Sign in to follow this  
tEfugleskremmel

The Multiverse and Spactime

Alright gang, with theories abound about how both work within the narrative. I figured it was time to explore the theories regarding both in the real world. To save time, I will be copying the most relevant info from Wikipedia as I don't feel like retyping it all. Then we can hopefully narrow down how it all works in game. 

The Multiverse

So there are multiple theories on the multiverse, and I urge you to read up on them all. However, I believe the best comes from American theoretical physicist and string theorist, Brian Greene. He discussed nine types of parallel universes. They are as follows.

Quilted: The quilted multiverse works only in an infinite universe. With an infinite amount of space, every possible event will occur an infinite number of times. However, the speed of light prevents us from being aware of these other identical areas.

Inflationary: The inflationary multiverse is composed of various pockets in which inflation fields collapse to form new universes. 

Brane: The brane multiverse follows from M-Theory and states that our universe is a 3-dimensional brane that exists with many others on a higher-dimensional brane or "bulk". Particles are bound to their respective branes except for Gravity. 

Cyclic: The cyclic multiverse (via the ekpyrotic scenario) has multiple branes (each a universe) that have collided, causing big bangs. The universes bounce back and pass through time until they are pulled back together and again collide, destroying the old contents and creating them anew.

Landscape: The landscape multiverse relies on string theory's Calabi-Yau spaces. Quantum fluctuations drop the shapes to a lower energy level, creating a pocket with a set of laws different from that of the surrounding space. 

Quantum: The quantum multiverse creates a new one when a diversion in events occurs, as in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Holographic: The holographic multiverse is derived from the theory that the surface area of a space can simulate the volume of the region. 

Simulated: The simulated multiverse exists on complex computer systems that simulate entire universes.

Ultimate: The ultimate multiverse contains every mathematically possible universe under different laws of physics. 

Spacetime

In non-relativistic classical mechanics, the use of Euclidean space instead of space time is appropriate, because time is treated as universal with a constant rate of passage that is independent of the state of motion of an observer. In relativistic contexts, time cannot be separated from the three dimensions of space, because the observed rate at which time passes for an object depends on the object's velocity relative to the observer and also the strength of gravitational fields, which can slow the passage of time for an object as seen by an observer outside the field. 

Again, this is all borrowed content from much larger Wikipedia entries that each go much further in depth, and I do not claim ownership of what is written. My hope here is for any interested in trying to figure out just how the story is working and where it is going can find this useful in determining the scientific theory in use. And also to give us better context for what is happening for our characters. I also urge everyone to read up on the theories of time travel, both to the past and future, as it could be useful in conjunction with the multiverse theory. 

• Like 2

Awards