InfestLithium

Kronorium

InfestLithium    498

Taken from the official Call of Duty twitter, this is one of few bio cards that Treyarch has pushed out to give a very basic backstory of all the Black Ops 3 Zombies maps thus far. A couple of things arise from this one in particular but the one major thing is the mention of "Kronorium".

The first thing that should be mentioned is no such name exists in the real world. Many people on Reddit have been dissecting the word and found its root relating to "a place of time" (in a nutshell). In order to figure out what it exactly is, let's take into context of three situations - who, what, and where.

The Kronorium is not a person, so that can be ruled out.

The Kronorium may be an object, but have we ever seen this object before? Is it an ancient book? Another artifact? And if it is an object, where exactly did this come from and how did it manage to fall into Richtofen's hands? He managed to get a hold of it undoubtedly with the aid of Maxis, considering they both are on a different, secret quest that the other three heroes don't know about. But considering we don't see any other object on Richtofen nor have we heard of it until now, I can guess that this is how Richtofen happens to know what's going on - hence why he tells the crew to trust him when they question why or what they're even doing.

The Kronorium may be a place. Most words that end in -orium specify a location, whether fictional or not. However, if Richtofen visited this placed called Kronorium supposedly, how exactly would he gain knowledge from there? Is it an ancient library we've never heard of, from jumping between universes in locations only thought to be isolated? The Shadows of Evil drawings indicate he knows of the coordinates from our DLC maps for something he's searching for...the question is what it is, and how does the Kronorium give him this insight?

It must deal with the Summoning Orb, that's for sure. My money is that it's a hidden object which we've not seen before and is kept in secrecy. Along the lines of a book if you will, kind of like the Apothicon book found by traveling in time twice in Der Eisendrache (the one responsible for opening the Keeper Tablet crate).

• Like 1

anonymous    324

It could be a place or object, but couldn't "the Kronorium" also possibly mean a group, or species, like "Keepers" or "Vrill Ya" or "Illuminati" or "Zombies".

Awards

PINNAZ    476

Nice write up Festy. 

This does sound like a book. A book that holds everything from the comic loading screen pages through to the letters from the field. 

Perhaps it's the book that Stuhlinger has?

The book in Nero's Landing? 

Maxis' Diary?

Group 935 Field Operations Manual?

Or is the Kronorium a Library? A collection of all of these books. All of the books in Der Eisendrache & everything mentioned above?

I bet the Kronorium includes the Apothicon & Keeper language.

• Like 1

anonymous    324
Just now, PINNAZ said:

A book that holds everything from the comic loading screen pages

I love the idea the comic books will return or still has a part in the story

Awards

I've got a theory. I don't believe it's one book, or a group of people, I err on it being a place. There may even be precedence in the Cthulu Mythos amongst its own collection of arcane literature and grimoires. I think the strongest possibility is from The Trail of Cthulu by August Derleth. In it there is reference to the Celaeno Fragments. Celaeno is itself a distant planet that hosts a massive library of alien literature. A professor and a team travel there several times to escape Cthulus minions. The fragments are a transcript of the translations the professor remembered from his visits to this great library. He later submitted this 50 page transcript to the Miskatonic University library in 1915. 

Now while we're never given a name for this library, it's a possibly where Richtofen ended up, the Kronorium itself. I parsed through a long list of literature within the mythos of Cthulu, and this is the only one that provides a plausible location. The question then becomes how did he, or Maxis, find out about it. Miskatonic University itself is a fictional location in Lovecrafts work in Essex County, Massachusetts. However, in our zombies lore, it's open game seeing as the Vril, Apothicans, and Keepers all exist within the canon. Morg City is also a location that exists, an amalgam of other places, but it still no less exists in this universe. So it's possible that Miskatonic exists as well. If so, then it's likely Maxis knew about it and the Celaeno Fragments and had Richtofen go and study them. I would assume that the fragments would provide the location of the library and how to get there. His 2 year absence from the rest of the crew would've provided plenty time get there and study as much as he could. Using the fragments as reference for translating anything of importance. 

Keep in mind, this is just conjecture, and I have no empirical proof of this. But it is the best facsimile I could find for the Kronorium in my research. Also remember that Treyarch have taken their own artistic license with the Cthulu Mythos, so names and places have been adapted either for convenience or to establish their own identity with the narrative. So no theory is too far fetched. Hunt on!

Edited by tEfugleskremmel
spelling/grammar
  • Like 2

Awards

InfestLithium    498

It's no doubt a great idea, and the idea of some transcription of everything - especially in reference to everything Apothicon. It ties in pretty well too with Alpha's tweet that @Hells Warrrior just posted. Bear in mind that Richtofen went from belittling the very thought of ethereal work to now suddenly partaking in it all. There's no secret that in those two years - just like you said - Maxis guided him to learn from the Kronorium and understand what's happening beyond the scope of the universe.

Surely Maxis has limited contact him, so he entrusted in Richtofen to seek the knowledge and to go on a quest to restore balance to the universes.

Now with that being said, would the Keepers have an association with the Kronorium? And if so, we need to figure out what they haven't been stopping Richtofen throughout his travels? They don't seem to be harmful - at least when not corrupted as the one in Der Eisendrache. 

@InfestLithium Well, if the Kronorium is this grand library, then it would stand to reason that the existence of the Keepers would be included in it. I picture this library the be similar to the Library of Congress or Alexandria. Being an otherworldly collection of alien species and literature. Possibly containing records on the Vril, Keepers, and humans as well. Seeing as we'd be alien to Celaeno. Knowing that there's evidence of the Keepers, Black Sun et al. during Origins, I believe this was the jumping off point for Maxis' plan. 

Now, I have a feeling that the knowledge obtained here was absolutely the Summoning Key, as well as the great battles on Earth against the Apothicans. I have a feeling, that seeing as the Key is described as the most powerful object in the universe, that each of these wars was over control of the Key. While I see the Keepers as allies, I do think their motivations are just as much about self preservation and that humans, while useful, are still fodder in the Keepers goals. Kind of a "Devil you know" kind of situation. Too many ideas bouncin around my head man!

Awards

Koslans    39

I know what it is....

It's a made-up word to excite the crowd that went wild over the t-shirt Blundell was wearing. 
They'll come up with a meaning a few months from now ;) 

Youtubers fed the beast, and now we plebs are left with questions.