NaBrZHunter

Is an EE Quest Required for a Map to be a Part of the Story Today?

NaBrZHunter    491

TL;DR added below...

Just think about it: some of the GREATEST theories and the very FOUNDATION of a MASSIVE amount of the Nazi Zombies/BO2-BO3 story comes from maps that had a relatively small EE...or no EE at all. What has happened? Do "Easter Eggs" now more of official "Side Quests" (as EEs do not generally give rewards) really have more of an impact on the story than radios and REAL easter eggs?

Shi No Numa: The biggest EE that might be considered ANY kind of side quest (required effort or equipment) was knocking the famous Hanging Man to the floor. However, the radios and various scraps scattered around the map gave, at the time, UNPRECEDENTED insight into the fact that a story was developing.

Der Riese: The Fly Trap, the first EE requiring modified equipment and that modified other objects on the map itself, allowing for a second step was simple and only implied more story. 
HOWEVER, the 8 radios on the map, 9+ texture EEs (note scraps, pictures, blackboard scrawls) CONTINUE TO THIS DAY to fuel great theories and serve as a foundation for this ongoing story.

Kino: Though it had fewer radios and notes, the very atmosphere, the objects and mysteries that filled it, accompanied by the few audio reals it did have, not to mention Samantha's room continue to make it a favorite to this day.

Ascension: the first map with a full scale easter egg side quest still featured radios, but gave little to no reward for completing the egg. This was not ideal, but still, the map had a rich story and the EE gave it replayability like had never been seen before. Not to mention that the EE steps made SENSE in the story. Not a single step required killing zombies near an object; in fact this did not occur until Moon, and the story-based logic behind such an action MADE SENSE.

The following maps, Call of the Dead, Shangri-La and Moon gave extremely worthwhile rewards for completing the easter egg side quests by giving something that could not be otherwise achieved without MUCH more strenuous effort: all perks, and permanently. This very much increased the replayability, but while the EEs for all three maps were TIMELESS and EXCELLENT, they were a) not forced upon the casual player and b) (with the exception of S-L, perhaps) had no more impact on the STORY itself and the theories that the community would and continues to develop than the timeless, epic radio logs that were also on the map.

Black Ops 2 was a fiasco, sadly, until Alcatraz, but continued to maintain this great tradition, despite the hate it receives (believe me, I really never play BO2 unless it's my ONLY option). The maps themselves were executed poorly, and really, the EE steps hardly made any sense and were extremely vague, while getting all perks in some maps, was far too easy, devaluing the reward. However, I hold that the ONE thing they got right, was the optional EE.

Nothing would make me happier than to see a map FULL of radios, story-relevant objects, ciphers and notes (something Der Eisendrache did fairly well) along with a 6-7 step mechanical (not "supernatural") EE where the vast majority of the steps did not require shooting an object (that makes little to no sense), or killing zombies near an object. This is something DE tried...and kind of accomplished, though not entirely. In Moon the energy charged the MPD. That made sense, and had a disturbing and dark explanation. Now...IT WORKS FOR EVERYTHING! It makes me wonder how many people today actually know why you had to kill zombies near an object at the time of Moon. Feel free to guess if you don't know the radio that says exactly why.

TL;DR:

The radios from the World at War - Black Ops 1 maps gave more insight into the story and more information to create theories from than today's MASSIVE "Easter Egg" Side Quests, and theories are still made today based on those radios from Shi No Numa to Moon. So why do people seem to think an EE Side Quest is what makes a map a part of the story?

• Like 1

anonymous    339

If Treyarch makes a big EE, they make the story. If they dont, the fans can make theories and the story as well. I think the WaW story isnt made by the developper, but by you guys, the CoDZ folks. I agree that Treyarch should do less bigger EEs (or big but without a story behind it, like the Fly Trap) and leave the story for a big part for the fans. I also dont like it when theres an end at a map, like there was in Origins. I hope they wont make a such thing like this again. How the characters get from the one map to another, leave that over to us.

Awards

NaBrZHunter    491
13 minutes ago, anonymous said:

If Treyarch makes a big EE, they make the story. If they dont, the fans can make theories and the story as well. I think the WaW story isnt made by the developper, but by you guys, the CoDZ folks. I agree that Treyarch should do less bigger EEs (or big but without a story behind it, like the Fly Trap) and leave the story for a big part for the fans. I also dont like it when theres an end at a map, like there was in Origins. I hope they wont make a such thing like this again. How the characters get from the one map to another, leave that over to us.

I would say...maybe an EE that makes more sense, adds some to the story, but doesn't DEFINE the story. And I wish they would stop doing the instant NPC comments when the game starts. How cool would it have been to have the first conversation in DE between Richtofen and Groph take place when you activated a radio?

Doppelgänger    150

The real problem is that, now in Black Ops 3, the Easter Egg quests require you to be fully loaded up. I mean, you can't start it on Round 1 like in Black Ops 1. Not only that, these newer maps' EE are terrible in comparison to older ones. Black Ops 2 was a cacophony of useless and confusing steps. Although the older maps' EE did include story elements, they were there to explain it. Now it feels like it just forces it along.

• Like 1

Rissole25    378

Black Ops 2 was the worst in this regard. They wanted to implement this whole choice thing from the campaign in zombies, that I think it gave us annoying egg quests. They focused way to hard on them, that they ended up not putting any secret notes or radios (the ones that were there went no where). And when it finally does happen in Origins, they make Samantha the most annoying person ever by repeating herself and generally being a bitch if you didn't do the egg.

That said, I think it can be well done like Ascension, where you only hear Gersch once. It's the first egg, but probably one of the better eggs overall. You're intrigued. But that's all you hear of him unless you do more.

NaBrZHunter    491

@Rissole25 Well said. Like I said, the unobligitory EE was the only thing they did right. Other than that... :/

And I agree about Ascension. They kinda did this in DE, but the difference was that no one knew there would be an Ascension EE, while everyone knew there would be a DE EE. I wish they would have made it so that the EE was started by activating that first conversation via a radio. That wouldn't have set ANYONE back at all, and would have made the EE even better IMO by making it more ambiguous. 

The only other thing I really wished they wouldn't have done (other than the dragon/bows) was feeding ANYTHING with zombies. Can that please stop? 

Doppelgänger    150
Just now, NaBrZHunter said:

@Rissole25 Well said. Like I said, the unobligitory EE was the only thing they did right. Other than that... :/

And I agree about Ascension. They kinda did this in DE, but the difference was that no one knew there would be an Ascension EE, while everyone knew there would be a DE EE. I wish they would have made it so that the EE was started by activating that first conversation via a radio. That wouldn't have set ANYONE back at all, and would have made the EE even better IMO by making it more ambiguous. 

The only other thing I really wished they wouldn't have done (other than the dragon/bows) was feeding ANYTHING with zombies. Can that please stop? 

It can be there, there just has to be a reason. And it has to not be so frequently used. On top of that, they need to make it accessible at any time. Shadows was terrible. Completing the Rituals and the Sword Upgrades? I want an actual sense of accomplishment. Not to be forced into helping myself.

NaBrZHunter    491

@Stop Mocking Me0

The Giant would have been perfect if, a) the EE would have been a bit bigger, b) it would have had an achievement, c) has been a new map. And don't get me wrong, I don't wanna see a map without a major EE, but I would like it to be more hidden. We all know it's there before the game comes out. We don't need an NPC or in-game comments to remind us and urge us to do it. DE was an improvement, but could have been better. 

Also, this really wasn't so much even arguing whether or not there should be an EE in any map, just pointing out that they could totally make a completely new side map with a Der Riese/Giant style EE or none at all and it would still tie into the story. Like @shirtlesservice said, they don't remember what the story was like and how complex it actually was before these big EEs.

I actually really like maps like MOTD, DE, and SOE. They have a main easter egg to start off with, which is fairly easy and can be done by pretty much anyone, but then they have a main easter-egg which is much more hidden and subtle. I like this pattern as it appeals to both demographics of new and pro players. 

NaBrZHunter    491

It appeals to some. I prefer having to look for the story more, not having it shoved in my face like they did with Origins and SoE.