The Meh

The Dragons of Der Eisendrache: What Are They?

The Meh    82

So, through the past month that Der Eisendrache has been out (and is actually out now for the Xbox One! YAY!), it would not be uncommon for someone to ask about the origins of the Dragons. I can quote at least one thread that asks about the correlation between the dogs of MOTD and the Dragons, and yet, minus functionality, they are vastly different creatures. I can also recall someone asking about the correlation of them in, perhaps, Dante's Inferno. I read Dante's Inferno, and I am 99% certain that there are no dragons in the book. The only true winged beast I know in that book is Geyron, and while he has the wings of a dragon, or something similar...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/31/Geryon.jpg

...you can see that isn't simply the case.

In making this post, I had aimed to narrow the possibilities of what these Dragons actually are, yet was unable to find anything major that stuck out. So, in such, I was thinking I'd create a post that we, the community, can use to compile information as to what the possibilities as to the Dragons' entity or entities may be. I can't say I know much as to the true origins, but I'm certain we can narrow it down together.

Reference pictures, just in case:

Image5-21-585x300.jpg

der_eisendrache_dragon_trap.jpg

I honestly think it's just a mechanic. The only avenue I'm really seeing in terms of the story the dogs are somehow related to Cerberus (three headed hellhound) and that this relates on some sort of religious level, but I'm open to other ideas...

i think they just reused a mechanic and didn't want it to be an exact copy, that's my theory

The Meh    82
8 hours ago, shirtlesservice said:

I honestly think it's just a mechanic. The only avenue I'm really seeing in terms of the story the dogs are somehow related to Cerberus (three headed hellhound) and that this relates on some sort of religious level, but I'm open to other ideas...

i think they just reused a mechanic and didn't want it to be an exact copy, that's my theory

Well, it's absolutely out of the question that they reused the same mechanic for the Dragons. Although, I do highly believe in the possibilities of the Dragons being of more religious or ancient purpose.

A huge question I'd ask is if it's similar to Cerberus, where this is a three-headed dragon, or if it's three separate dragons. It's hard to narrow down what exactly the Dragon(s) is/are without knowing that off the bat.

HitmanVere    47

We also have to remember, that they are made out of stone at first and can be 3 different dragons rather than one dragon with 3 heads. What mythology has a lot of stone statues and dragons in it? Chinese mythology, which could be reference to Takeos roots and/or next map

Edit: Also, I do know, that Takeo is Japanese, but still, Asian culture :sweat_smile:

Tattoo247    118

My guess is, these dragons are guardians for the Keepers. The 3 smaller dragon statues are behind a tomb that houses a keeper. And are above the space the bow appears out of thin air.

The bow could have been a weapon from the keepers, with the dragons guarding the weapon. But other than that I think people just really liked MotD so they added it because nobody complained the first time.

I am glad someone said this.

Though the idea of Nidhogg being the dragons isn't that bad, I just had a thought that it might have something to do with the legend of the hydra. Where to defeat it herculiese had to cut of the heads one by one and then burn the stumps, maby group 935 where trying to recreate the myth and use it as a defense mechanism?

the part where the dragons breath fire though, that is the part where this dosent come into play, also the bow, why would group 935 have the two connected... I am currently still debating with myself, I will do a follow up later...

Awards

The dogs were somewhat different as they were connected to the grand evil... Is it possible this dragon is somehow connected to the keepers or the dead king?

In Samantha's room there is a book called Fafnir and Sigurd.

ghhtfd.jpg

It's an amazing story in norse mythology in the volsunga saga of a shapeshifting dragon Fafnir who owns a huge amount of treasure and Sigurd a hero who slays the dragon Fafnir. Sigurd slays Fafnir with a mythical sword called gram (Old Norse Gramr, meaning Wrath). Just like WRATH of the ancients in DE!  

There is a lot of Norse mythology in DE! I am going to make a separate post right now discussing all Norse mythology in DE (Something I have been meaning to do for long time now). But the 3 dragons definitely have to do with Norse mythology! 

On 3/6/2016 at 6:43 PM, Shootinfish said:

Was reading some norse mythology and found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%AD%C3%B0h%C3%B6ggr not sure if its related "Thus, its name might refer to its role as a horrific monster or in its action of chewing the corpses of the inhabitants"

Nice find!

In reading about Níðhöggr dragon It states - "Níðhöggr is a being which gnaws one of the three roots of Yggdrasill.  In the Skáldskaparmál section of the Prose Edda Snorri specifies Níðhöggr as a serpent in a list of names of such creatures: These are names for serpents: dragon, Fafnir, Jormungand, adder, Nidhogg, snake, viper, Goin, Moin, Grafvitnir, Grabak, Ofnir, Svafnir, masked one."

Maybe the three dragons are the 3 dragons that gnaws one of the three roots of Yggdrasill? Fafnir and "Níðhöggr being 2 of the three dragons?

Edited by Josh Keatley
  • Like 1

Ragdo11706    363

I'm fairly certain (100% positive) Takeo or Richtofen have a quote after feeding the final Dragon, "This is NOT the last time, we'll be seeing this Creature."

• Like 1

AlphaSnake    83

http://arcturi.com/ReptilianArchives/ReptilianFacts.html

Reptilians have been mentioned by many contactees and abductees for
centuries, but who are the Reptilians and where do the Reptilians come from?
 Some would argue that Reptilians were Earth evolved beings who expanded
out into the cosmos and others argue that they come from the Draco
constellation

http://www.windows2universe.org/mythology/draco_dragon.html

Draco the dragon is famous throughout mythology. This great beast was especially present in greek myth. One of the more popular stories involves Heracles and the twelve labors. Gaia gave Hera a golden apple tree when she married Zeus. Hera put the tree in the garden to be guarded by the Hesperides and a dragon called Ladon.

Heracles asks Atlas to gather the apples while he and Athena held up the sky. Atlas, thinking he could trick Heracles into holding the sky forever, gladly accepted the mission. When he returned with the apples, Heracles slipped the sky back on Atlas' shoulders.

Yet another story is set during the Titan war with Zeus. Athena was attacked by a dragon. She flung it into the air, wrapping it around the pole. To this day, the dragon remains in the night sky.

The constellation, Draco, can be found revolving around the celestial North Pole. This type of constellation is said to be circumpolar

The Gorgon upgrades to Athena's Spear.

Jason must have stumbled upon David Icke at some point.

There is more but as always seems to be the case these days time is against me.

Hope this helps to spark some ideas.

Regards Alpha.

• Like 1

MixMasterNut    131

Since this game is a mixture of mythos, I can't help but wonder if there is a parallel to the Naga statues we saw on Shangri La.

ShangrilaNaga.jpg

Nagas are serpent deities known to be protectors of sacred places and treasure.  They travel through the 7th dimension, which includes space, time, and parallel universes.  Those themes would seem to apply to this game.

- Mix