DaveLo07

Time manipulation: Time Bomb, Killing Time & the Der Riese Clock

DaveLo07    172

Time travel/ dimensional travel has been a big part of the zombies storyline since the beginning through the use of teleporters. In BO2, we were introduced to the time bomb. A device that can be placed at a point in time, and then returned to if the player wants a second chance at a better outcome. The sound effect when placing the time bomb sounds similar to an old fashioned clock chime/gong.

In BO3, we were introduced to gobblegums, and killing time. This gobblegum freezes all zombies in place for 60 seconds, and any zombies shot in this time will be annihilated when the timer is up. The initial sound when you activate the gobblegum is the same chime/gong that is heard when you place the time bomb. This is followed by ticking like the second hand of a clock. 

At this point, these sound effects could be generic and represent any clock. However, in Dead Ops Arcade 2 we have a new power up. When picked up, the power up creates a force field that slows down zombies, again manipulating time. The power up also has the same initial sound effect as the time bomb and killing time.

What I find really interesting is that this power up is represented by a specific clock. The one from Der Riese/The Giant. I just wonder if this could have any significance in the story, and be hinting at what role Der Riese/The Giant play in the multiverse theory. Time does seem to be ambitious in these maps which is represented by the clock. Also, is there any concrete information on the origins of the time bomb? I have seen speculation that it was created by Maxis, but cannot find much detailed information.

NaBrZHunter    489

If you wanna research time and the zombies storyline, Kino is the best place to start. Unfortunately, by the time the time bomb came out, they seemed to have lost their grip on a lot of their old concepts, and scarcely provided answers to such questions. There is a lot of speculation as to who created the Time Bomb and other Buried items, and while it is all just unfounded speculation, there is one thing we know for sure: Maxis was not involved in anything at Buried. It's a misconception based on a brief statement Maxis made when he found himself on the moon about having been in a 'wretched cavern,' a statement that supports the idea that he actually went to Shangri-La and the caverns there. One might also take into consideration that the Moon/MPD location and Shangri La were closely linked, as S-L was Richtofen's next stop following his discovery of the MPD on the moon, having been suddenly and seemingly randomly transported there. And as a last note, when playing S-L, Richtofen also observes upon receiving the 31-79 JGb215 that he "knew Maxis was working on such a device, but I had no idea he finished it." 

So the theories that say Maxis went to Buried or invented anything at Buried are really rather far-fetched  

Hope this helps! I hadn't heard of the Der Riese clock being in DoA, though. That is curious indeed! I can't say whether it means anything or not. I have heard pocket-in-time theories, however, that I feel are definitely worth considering. 

• Like 1

anonymous    325

Wasn't it Marlton who created the time bomb?

I believe you can hear something like that in the N4's quotes

Awards

NaBrZHunter    489
1 hour ago, anonymous said:

Wasn't it Marlton who created the time bomb?

I believe you can hear something like that in the N4's quotes

Y'know, you may be right. I'll admit, "I'm no expert at all this." Heh heh. Not at Black Ops 2, anyhow. Brains to whoever was unfortunate enough to know what I'm referencing. 

DaveLo07    172

@NaBrZHunter Thanks for the detailed response. That was indeed the 'theory' I was referring to, that Maxis had teleported to Buried during the events of Moon.  I will definitely do some more research regarding the storyline, but time pocket is kind of what I was suggesting, or at least that time functions differently at Der Riese.

@anonymous Can you think of any direct quotes? I have listened to most of Marltons quotes from Buried, along with mystery box quotes, and cannot find anything of any significance related to the time bomb.

Tac    462

There's a theory by @InfestLithium on the origins of the device, located here (it's best to read through the whole thread, as the OP was never updated). He states that the maker is Michael Faraday, whose portrait we see throughout the map. His work in electricity and his interest in the aethereal make him a potential candidate.

• Like 2

DaveLo07    172

Thanks for the link. That is one of the threads that came up when I did a forum search before posting, and I saw the links with Faraday and the paralyzer, but missed the part about the time bomb. Gave it a more thorough read, and it seems like there are some strong links there, especially the ones you mentioned, but also Faradays experiments with electromagnet fields and how electromagnetism can be used to distort/manipulate time.

• Like 1

anonymous    325
On ‎22‎-‎2‎-‎2016 at 5:01 PM, DaveLo07 said:

@NaBrZHunter Thanks for the detailed response. That was indeed the 'theory' I was referring to, that Maxis had teleported to Buried during the events of Moon.  I will definitely do some more research regarding the storyline, but time pocket is kind of what I was suggesting, or at least that time functions differently at Der Riese.

@anonymous Can you think of any direct quotes? I have listened to most of Marltons quotes from Buried, along with mystery box quotes, and cannot find anything of any significance related to the time bomb.

Cant find the quotes either.

I though someone once made a theory about it and refered to the quotes, but I cant find anything on this site, sorry

Awards