Tac

Unfair Access for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Players

Tac    462

Reddit and Activision forum member DeafGamerDucky made a post that I think needs more awareness, so I've posted the text below. I hope someone from Treyarch see's this, and if the community has any input on ways to improve OP's suggestions please do so!

Hello everyone and thank you for your time reading this post. It is very important that Activision need to be aware of, once again. I believe I posted here few years ago about Black Ops 2 lacking subtitles for zombies, and one of your developers acknowledged it and told me that they would bring it up at Activision meeting. After that, I haven't hear anything from you guys since. Black ops 3 released and I bought it mainly reason because of zombies. I saw subtitles during cutscene of Black Ops 3 zombies and I thought you guys finally addressed it. Till I installed a new DLC and I learned that in order to upgrade purple bow, hearing is required since there is only audio clue for it. Are you kidding me, right? For moment I thought you finally acknowledge that there are deaf gamers among ASL community, but looks like I am sadly mistaken. Why no visual clues? Why is it so hard to do some visual clues so no one have to follow audio clues? I wanted to unlock four bows trophy with my deaf friends but it is not happening because nobody in my team could hear. So we tried to do stupid random things with symbols and hoping it would success but no success so far. I tried to look up on google to see if there are any kind of pattern or something like that, and nothing so far yet either. I know I am not only one who have problem with audio. I am sure hearing players having problem too since some of their kids could be very loud for them to hear audio clues or they can't use their sound system or whatever reasons are. There is really no reason for you not to do visual clues nor adding subtitles. So I am asking on behalf of this community. Please add visual clues OR add subtitles for audio clues.

• Like 7

NaBrZHunter    488

Wow, this is really sad, and should be addressed. Thanks for sharing, Tac. 

He's actually right about the kids thing too. We use subtitles a lot at my house for shows because my little one sometimes likes to babble in baby speak, and it can get quite noisy. lol! And I just have one! 

JJMFP    54

Looks like an overlook and hope that there is an update to address this.  Unfortunately, you have to hear that audio que and he is right, there are no subtitles.  Seems like an easy fix though, there should be something in the menu to turn on all audio into text.  Cannot see why Treyarch wouldn't do this.  This kind of update would be useful to all people playing.  When was the last time any of us had trouble understanding audio ques with the sound of zombies and friends yelling in our ears.

Edited by JJMFP
spelling

Awards

NaBrZHunter    488
5 minutes ago, JJMFP said:

Looks like an overlook and hope that there is an update to address this.  Unfortunately, you have to hear that audio que and he is right, there are no subtitles.  Seems like an easy fix though, there should be something in the menu to turn on all audio into text.  Cannot see why Treyarch wouldn't do this.  This kind of update would be useful to all people playing.  When was the last time any of us had trouble understanding audio ques with the sound of zombies and friends yelling in our ears.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be all audio. At a minimum, just game-necessary audio subtitles would at least make it playable for folks like this. 

83457    263

I support this, despite my ears being one of my only functioning senses.

I put the subtitles on for bo3, so i could see the Apothicon Language spelled out... But the subtitles only work on the intro... Wow. How absolutely pointless.

Also, being blind as i am, things could be a little easier to see for the partially blind.

Like, why is the ammo count in guns have visual echoes that are backwards? White, on yellowish, is largely unreadable during much of the game. I find myself moving the screen to find a good contrast spot. Now, if the AS had enough ammo that we didn't need to watch it all of the time, it wouldn't matter as much, but still, it should be much clearer than it is.

BaronVonBeau    11

This is very eye opening, as a player with no hearing problems it's not something I've even considered. What a shame that some should miss out on what is a fantastic experience. Treyarch really should include subtitles through-out and a better system for the hard of hearing/deaf. Players should at least have the option. 

• Like 3

Awards

anonymous    323

How can we contact Treyarch?

Do they read this forum, or do they have a suggestion site or something?

Awards

NaBrZHunter    488
1 hour ago, anonymous said:

We have been known to be in Treyarch's sights in general. The site's founding father (if I'm not mistaken) now works for Acti as well, and this post was originally made on Reddit and Acti forums. They better see this. :)

Hello Tac. I had to create new account just to say thank you for spread my post around and thank you everyone for supports! I hope this is being addressed soon! 

Tac    462
41 minutes ago, anonymous said:

They do, thankfully. Hopefully this is seen.

2 minutes ago, DeafGamerDucky said:

Hello Tac. I had to create new account just to say thank you for spread my post around and thank you everyone for supports! I hope this is being addressed soon! 

No problem, we just want things to be a little easier for ya! Best of luck and hope to see ya around!

Lenne    412

Might as well post this here since it is kinda fitting.

In the german version of the game there are absolutely zero subtitles not in campaign, zombies or anywhere else.

Even I find that annoying despite me being able to hear just fine, but still when an explosion goes off and the characters talk in campaign it can be hard to understand them.

As far as I know the english versions definitely have subtitles and I only know of this problem for the german version. I am not sure about the rest of the world, but deaf peeps in Germany have it even worse, since they can't even really enjoy the story of the campaign, the one thing really everyone should be able to enjoy.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2016 at 2:09 AM, Lenne said:

Might as well post this here since it is kinda fitting.

In the german version of the game there are absolutely zero subtitles not in campaign, zombies or anywhere else.

Even I find that annoying despite me being able to hear just fine, but still when an explosion goes off and the characters talk in campaign it can be hard to understand them.

As far as I know the english versions definitely have subtitles and I only know of this problem for the german version. I am not sure about the rest of the world, but deaf peeps in Germany have it even worse, since they can't even really enjoy the story of the campaign, the one thing really everyone should be able to enjoy.

WHAT? I didn't know they have it worse. How sad irony is that Treyarch used german language to name zombie maps and not include german language for subtitles. 

BaronVonBeau    11
5 hours ago, DeafGamerDucky said:

WHAT? I didn't know they have it worse. How sad irony is that Treyarch used german language to name zombie maps and not include german language for subtitles. 

To be fair they did cock that up first time around, they had to change der eisendrachen to eisendrache! ? 

It is strange that in this day and age of technology and gaming that it doesn't offer more audio/subtitle options. It is theorised that all nazi symbols were removed from zombies to make it easier to sell to the German market, I think adding German would increase their chances on the German market personally...

Awards

NaBrZHunter    488
23 hours ago, BaronVonBeau said:

To be fair they did cock that up first time around, they had to change der eisendrachen to eisendrache! ? 

It is strange that in this day and age of technology and gaming that it doesn't offer more audio/subtitle options. It is theorised that all nazi symbols were removed from zombies to make it easier to sell to the German market, I think adding German would increase their chances on the German market personally...

A lot of symbology used by the Nazis is illegal in Germany today. However, let's keep this discussion on topic. 

DrVonstool    62

I feel for the deaf and it is not very hard to include some minor things to help those with lack of hearing. What makes me even more upset is that this complaint was brought up back in the BO2 days. I remember this same complaint for the bus. Sure it had lights but if a deaf player were to be out and about in Tranzit's many offerings, the bus is likely to leave without them. I personally play with extrememly loud music most of the time and can't hear the quotes or general sounds. So with a map like Tranzit that requires "team communication" (which is hogwash) it leaves those without hearing constantly looking over their back to make sure the bus doesn't leave. Even with some steps in this game, it's becoming very unbalanced in terms of who can and who can't complete easter eggs, even with Treyarch enabling a solo victory. Sure, one could argue that the deaf can be just as easily carried through the easter egg while someone else completes the steps. That would be fine and dandy if I didn't care about others feelings. Honestly, it all comes down to context. If Treyarch can have the help of a genius (myself ;3) they can easily be rid of this complaint once and for all. How does one accomplish such a task? You don't have to add subtitles and you don't have to add any sign language. All you have to do is have "Word Context"! Like in comics when you see someone punch another, you'll see -biff- -bam- or -kapow-. Simply place very small almost innoticable but clearly seen "Word Context" and everyone can be happy. For example, when completing a step that requires you to listen, instead of forcing a player to stand somewhere and listen, why not have both an area to listen and an area to see. As in one area allows the player to hear the hint and another area allows the player to see the hint. Here's an example of "Word Context" in action. When I write comics, I always describe what my characters are doing with "Word Context" because sometimes the way I draw my characters can be confusing if I don't state clearly what they are doing. For example, say the player has a possibility of missing the bus, however there are some ways to know when the bus is leaving. One is to listen to the quotes tat the bus driver says. Another is to listen for the horn or for the flashing lights. How about when the bus honks its s horn it does more than just honk. It gives the player a visual word that says -honk!- -Honk!- It pops up and floats away much like the words "Max Ammo" in the old days. It's easier than it sounds to accomadate the deaf. Fuck, if I ever go through with making my video game, I will make damn well sure that you can play the entire game blind, deaf, and relatively brain dead. Much love and sympathy to the Deaf, especially DeafPlayerDucky.

• Like 2

Awards

83457    263
On 2/15/2016 at 5:08 PM, Tasha said:

T H R E E

Y E A R

D E V E L O P M E N T

C Y C L E

This is a common sentiment among posters. However, a couple of years back, actual Activision folk were discussing what Treyarch was working on (ports and such) and then they went on to say that Treyarch would start work on BO3 in autumn of 2014, just the usual 1 year.

That's the only official thing that I've heard, though many, many forum folk have claimed they've worked for 3 years on it.

Most likely, some dedicated zombie loving employees were working on some of it over the 3 years, but not the company as a whole.

(Kudos to the folk who do try to make zombies great. When i say that i hate Treyarch, i hope you guys know i mean the heads that botch the decisions and scheduling, not the guys who do love us and try to make zombies great. Reading feedback from Treyarch employees, it seems that they hate Treyarch's heads and horrible decisions as much as we do). :)

• Like 1

anonymous    323
21 hours ago, DrVonstool said:

I feel for the deaf and it is not very hard to include some minor things to help those with lack of hearing. What makes me even more upset is that this complaint was brought up back in the BO2 days. I remember this same complaint for the bus. Sure it had lights but if a deaf player were to be out and about in Tranzit's many offerings, the bus is likely to leave without them. I personally play with extrememly loud music most of the time and can't hear the quotes or general sounds. So with a map like Tranzit that requires "team communication" (which is hogwash) it leaves those without hearing constantly looking over their back to make sure the bus doesn't leave. Even with some steps in this game, it's becoming very unbalanced in terms of who can and who can't complete easter eggs, even with Treyarch enabling a solo victory. Sure, one could argue that the deaf can be just as easily carried through the easter egg while someone else completes the steps. That would be fine and dandy if I didn't care about others feelings. Honestly, it all comes down to context. If Treyarch can have the help of a genius (myself ;3) they can easily be rid of this complaint once and for all. How does one accomplish such a task? You don't have to add subtitles and you don't have to add any sign language. All you have to do is have "Word Context"! Like in comics when you see someone punch another, you'll see -biff- -bam- or -kapow-. Simply place very small almost innoticable but clearly seen "Word Context" and everyone can be happy. For example, when completing a step that requires you to listen, instead of forcing a player to stand somewhere and listen, why not have both an area to listen and an area to see. As in one area allows the player to hear the hint and another area allows the player to see the hint. Here's an example of "Word Context" in action. When I write comics, I always describe what my characters are doing with "Word Context" because sometimes the way I draw my characters can be confusing if I don't state clearly what they are doing. For example, say the player has a possibility of missing the bus, however there are some ways to know when the bus is leaving. One is to listen to the quotes tat the bus driver says. Another is to listen for the horn or for the flashing lights. How about when the bus honks its s horn it does more than just honk. It gives the player a visual word that says -honk!- -Honk!- It pops up and floats away much like the words "Max Ammo" in the old days. It's easier than it sounds to accomadate the deaf. Fuck, if I ever go through with making my video game, I will make damn well sure that you can play the entire game blind, deaf, and relatively brain dead. Much love and sympathy to the Deaf, especially DeafPlayerDucky.

This is so sad.

I can imagine a deaf player who has fun and kills zombies suddenly sees his teammates driving away with the bus leaving him behind.

Awards

NaBrZHunter    488
4 hours ago, anonymous said:

This is so sad.

I can imagine a deaf player who has fun and kills zombies suddenly sees his teammates driving away with the bus leaving him behind.

This is sad. lol! But I'm being serious.