CoDz News

Hells Warrrior

• Tech Admin

It's had a little bit of a makeover.

962f76ed7acc3b1b0908b0c77cc4de05.jpg

Basically we have put everything into a grid format and the main item is an image, we have under utlised the news section and I think we need to start using this more and more. Unfortunately, we simply don't have enough time in the working week/weekend to take care of this.

So, I proposed something to the staff and I will propose it here as well. What I'm thinking is we look for 6 news editors, 2 from Asia/Australia, 2 from Europe and 2 from the USA. This allows us to keep news articles occurring throughout the day / week. It's not a staff position, it is a news editor position (stepping stone so to speak). Nothing is confirmed or concrete and the staff will discuss this in more depth but to proceed I think I need 6 people of long standing, good English, spelling and grammar to assist us with this.

So if you would be interested, please let us know in here. I'm not guaranteeing anything or if this will proceed as I think we should, it's just a possibility at this stage but I need 6 people minimum to nominate themselves or others and that have the time and graphical skills to create images for the news articles.  

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
7 hours ago, NaBrZHunter said:

I try to always stay in the know, while trying to stick to relevant discussion, so I'd like to hear more about expectations.

I'm sure Craig has some additional input, but I'll get you started

Role:

• Primary interface between dev news/storyline discovery/Game achievements/ect. and the members of codz
  • Key focus is to provide a "one stop shop" for members

Basic editor expectations:

• Professionally written content that reflects the CoC of CODz (specifically in terms of leaks- we can dig into specifics)
  • Dialed in to resources for latest gaming news
  • Be open to constructive feedback from staff

Content:

• I'll leave this pretty ambiguous as there is a lot of opportunity for coverage
  • Be creative ;)
  • Administrators
15 minutes ago, Boom said:

I'm sure Craig has some additional input, but I'll get you started

Role:

• Primary interface between dev news/storyline discovery/Game achievements/ect. and the members of codz
  • Key focus is to provide a "one stop shop" for members

Basic editor expectations:

• Professionally written content that reflects the CoC of CODz (specifically in terms of leaks- we can dig into specifics)
  • Dialed in to resources for latest gaming news
  • Be open to constructive feedback from staff

Content:

• I'll leave this pretty ambiguous as there is a lot of opportunity for coverage
  • Be creative ;)

So far so good. I'd be down...

• Tech Admin

Pretty much sums it up @Boom - I think we need to start getting news content visible to drive traffic, increase our SEO (site ranking), on top of this we need to get the zombie library up and running (sorry @PINNAZ we've been working on it but not had time recently) and then our pages setup and running.

We are on the right track but we need to be more proactive, our reddit presence has been improved, our twitter use is OK but needs more and we need to more streaming to be done and more CoDz YouTube videos.

The challenge with YouTube is I want an intro that will be used on all videos we upload and can easily be edited to to say what the video is about and but I want to start getting our presence out there again and to a position of being the place to go, I want our YouTube video to be added to the video library here as well (which I need to fix the style). We really need to focus this year on what we want to do an achieve.

39 minutes ago, Hells Warrrior said:

Pretty much sums it up @Boom - I think we need to start getting news content visible to drive traffic, increase our SEO (site ranking), on top of this we need to get the zombie library up and running (sorry @PINNAZ we've been working on it but not had time recently) and then our pages setup and running.

We are on the right track but we need to be more proactive, our reddit presence has been improved, our twitter use is OK but needs more and we need to more streaming to be done and more CoDz YouTube videos.

The challenge with YouTube is I want an intro that will be used on all videos we upload and can easily be edited to to say what the video is about and but I want to start getting our presence out there again and to a position of being the place to go, I want our YouTube video to be added to the video library here as well (which I need to fix the style). We really need to focus this year on what we want to do an achieve.

So news content would that be just Zombie news or general gaming news also?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Hells Warrrior said:

I'm curious what is meant by a "one stop shop" and "gaming news." Are we trying to cover more than just zombies content? I was the editor for a couple gaming sites previously so I know how to do that if we want to go down that route, but I'm curious as to why.

As for the SEO, I think that is going to be very important. Here's where we sit with popular search terms related to zombies:

• "black ops 3 zombies" - I stopped looking after page 20
  • "call of duty zombies" - bottom second page
    • Craig explained to me that this is because they index the front page, which we all know has nothing, but surely there's something we can do? Perhaps change our tagline to include more keywords?
      • tagline: "Call of Duty Zombies (CoDz) is the number 1 fan site for the zombie game mode from Call of Duty made by Treyarch."
  • "cod zombies" - first page!
  • "black ops 3 the giant" - stopped looking after page 10
  • "shadows of evil" - stopped looking after page 10
  • "der eisendrache" - top second page

As for other platforms, things are going well. Reddit account is doing well, quite well actually. The Twitter account needs to be spawning more discussion, and a few of us have been creating a new logo for various platforms. Same crew has been working on the CoDz YouTube and Twitch, and things are moving along in those areas.

• Administrators

@Hells Warrrior We've got some good-sounding stuff in the works for YouTube, I think. Hopefully by next week I can get a sample video out for y'all to review and see if it may be the kinda stuff we want to do. @Tac @BlindBusDrivr, @MixMasterNut@PINNAZ@Rissole25 and I have been throwing ideas around, and I think we have the potential to be truly unique in such an over-saturated market. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Tac said:

I'm curious what is meant by a "one stop shop" and "gaming news." Are we trying to cover more than just zombies content? I was the editor for a couple gaming sites previously so I know how to do that if we want to go down that route, but I'm curious as to why.

Current state I don't believe we would need to go far outside source, but during the three year cycle we may need to expand. However, that may be simple as just covering the other CoD titles. We can leave that open-ended for now

By "One Stop Shop" I'm not speaking specifically of the articles, but the site in general. We are providing everything zombie enthusiast would be interested in (leaderboards, forums, social media sharing, LFG, ect), and rounding it out with news.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Boom said:

Current state I don't believe we would need to go far outside source, but during the three year cycle we may need to expand. However, that may be simple as just covering the other CoD titles. We can leave that open-ended for now

By "One Stop Shop" I'm not speaking specifically of the articles, but the site in general. We are providing everything zombie enthusiast would be interested in (leaderboards, forums, social media sharing, LFG, ect), and rounding it out with news.

Awesome, I was hoping that's what you meant haha. Good deal, this sounds cool.

• Tech Admin

We will be moving forward with this.

We'll be looking for the following.

• CoDz News Editors
  • YouTube Editor(s)
  • Twitch Streamers

When videos are added to YouTube we'll be looking for these to be published to the CoDz video channel as well. we'll also be looking for these to be added to news and with the news editor, we'll also be looking at a monthly (possibly weekly newsletter to be emailed out to our users).

On top of this, we'll also be getting the Zombie Library up and running and the frontpage will be making a return in due course.