All Ciphers

Tac

9 minutes ago, certainpersonio said:

@Shootinfish Dude this a great find! It's even better, they wrote it down wrong from the machine! 

It's a German Wehrmacht tape recorder AEG Magnetophon Tonschreiber B with AEG 2-hole bobbies.

Hide contents

Ton_S.b%2C_tape_unit.jpgTon_S.b%2C_amplifier_unit.jpg

I pulled those images from here. If you zoom in you can see that text is actually different in-game from what's on the machine in real life!

"Laufwerk u. Verstärker m_____en gleiche Fertigungs- Nr. haben" and "Netzprüflampe"

*the m- word has a scratch in the middle of it so I can't tell what it says, but perhaps @Nieno69 will be able to figure it out with better context.

Now, I wonder if Treyarch did this on purpose. In other words, is the change in spelling significant or is it an accident?

mitasen?

I basically zoomed in (a lot) and worked out that there must be a vowel after the "m" and it can't be too "big", meaning an "a,e,o,u" (they wouldn't make sense for the next letter) then I worked out that the letter after must be a "t", it has a curve to it and is yet again small, like an "i". The a is a random guess and is my only problem with this. The "s" is also in the right place, it definitely has a curve at the top like all the other "s"'s of that style do. Sorry if this didn't help.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, certainpersonio said:

@Shootinfish Dude this a great find! It's even better, they wrote it down wrong from the machine! 

It's a German Wehrmacht tape recorder AEG Magnetophon Tonschreiber B with AEG 2-hole bobbies.

Hide contents

Ton_S.b%2C_tape_unit.jpgTon_S.b%2C_amplifier_unit.jpg

I pulled those images from here. If you zoom in you can see that text is actually different in-game from what's on the machine in real life!

"Laufwerk u. Verstärker m_____en gleiche Fertigungs- Nr. haben" and "Netzprüflampe"

*the m- word has a scratch in the middle of it so I can't tell what it says, but perhaps @Nieno69 will be able to figure it out with better context.

Now, I wonder if Treyarch did this on purpose. In other words, is the change in spelling significant or is it an accident?

Sure - it's clearly readible if you are german and know "umlaut" ü

It translate to: drive and amplifier need to have the same manufacturing number 

Netzprüflampe - if it's Light up the machine has Power 

Dont know how to say it in englisch exactly but I hope you understand

It could be that's its a different model I'm not sure why they used two v's instead of a w though and I would have said they had one to capture images from so wouldn't have though they would have copied it wrong also I'm not sure why the power lamp is labeled different does  Ratrprtiflmepa make any sense

Its a mystery I might tweet the sound team and ask if they have a tonschreiber b (L) lol

3 minutes ago, tEScarecrow said:

The M word is "müssen". You can see it in the top image unscratched between the projector wheels. 

For some reason it won't let me like your post, but I would if I could. My stupid logic gets thrown out the window. I wish I hadn't spent about 30 minutes trying to figure it out now. Good find dude.

53 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

For some reason it won't let me like your post, but I would if I could. My stupid logic gets thrown out the window. I wish I hadn't spent about 30 minutes trying to figure it out now. Good find dude.

Haha, thanks man. I saw the label at the top almost immediately. I actually didn't notice the other one was scratched until you mentioned it haha. But this new image is just all sorts of confusing for me earlier theory with French being on the in game version. Treyarch at its finest. But major kudos to Personio for the find. Just incredible work. 

@Nieno69 It's certainly more than I've ever gotten. As far "does this sentence make sense", I'm about 50-50 on it. I would say that as long as you're being internally consistent with your description then try and get another word or two. Then we'll really know if it's making any sense. 

Also, you're working on it as an Alberti cipher, correct?

8 minutes ago, certainpersonio said:

@Nieno69 It's certainly more than I've ever gotten. As far "does this sentence make sense", I'm about 50-50 on it. I would say that as long as you're being internally consistent with your description then try and get another word or two. Then we'll really know if it's making any sense. 

Also, you're working on it as an Alberti cipher, correct?

I will update it this evening - i'm actually at work 

but yes i now think it is an alberti cipher and you get like 6 alphabets - I got a "part" of a sentence with "Japan" and another with "future" too.... but you have to work out every letter by it's own so it's not sure it have to be this "Start" or even i get further with this - but I will work on it for sure

So the magnetophone is different from the amp

mFbAyLF.jpg

I'm not sure what to think of it I had to capture while I was playing as theatre is buggy for me at the moment so can anyone else look at them and see if you can get a better image and see if there all the same

EDIT

Ok I know understand why there are two differences for two words on the unit

Maybe there is a reason for the others being different

rUdh3mz.jpg

1 hour ago, Shootinfish said:

So the magnetophone is different from the amp

mFbAyLF.jpg

I'm not sure what to think of it I had to capture while I was playing as theatre is buggy for me at the moment so can anyone else look at them and see if you can get a better image and see if there all the same

EDIT

Ok I know understand why there are two differences for two words on the unit

Maybe there is a reason for the others being different

rUdh3mz.jpg

The description looks like Google translate...I think it's the coding in the game which makes it unreadable... They tried to Implant an umlaut and the Script goes beserk....?

I dont find anything further...for today I will stop on it but want to share 

But to go on with the alberti cipher (which can be very complex) I will share the way I tried to decode it... (picture)

Background: in an alberti disk cipher you have 2 alphabets...plain and cipher

With the password "the castle" you have 7 "permutations" of the cipheralphabet "thecasl"

There can be letters which are put in randomly...to make it harder for attacks (could be e.g. the double letters e.g. in "srYY)...

The stsrting letter could  change every letter...or after every space... and with the upper letter it could change the cipher in plain and vice versa....

But why i'm thinking it could actually be this cipher?

I read an article about it and it totally matched... I think I posted the link in post above... I will Check if I find it again and Edit it in here ...

Edit:

http://crypto.interactive-maths.com/polyalphabetic-substitution-ciphers.html

And this

http://veniceatlas.epfl.ch/tag/alberti-cipher/

20160406_193830_resized.jpg

So this is @tEScarecrow from earlier. I managed to recover my old account while searching for old topics! I will still be keeping my new account as it has my actual gamertag which is much handier for LFG. I did also manage to find the one topic I started almost 3 years ago. Kind of sad it still hasn't seen any activity since. Sorry if this doesn't have to do with the ciphers, but I'd like to link the topic for anyone interested, as boy it is still super relevant to the story in this game. And I made it before Origins too. I've chosen to post this here as this is the only thread in which I've posted or had interactions in of late. @Nightmare Voyager I think you might enjoy the read, as I've seen you plenty of theory and asylum threads with some pretty excellent posts.

As for the ciphers. I've started to take a crack at them, but still quite novice. If anyone would like to point me in a good direction for better online cipher sites, I would love to keep participating in the work on these!

• 3 weeks later...

So: the castle cipher: for now i am pretty sure its not a vigenere or any poly that works like that

I have this idea: its a playfair + transposition cipher...actually working on how the plain (cipher) was written to get a transposition like that....

I Checked multiple text and encrypt it with playfair and nearly always get the same ic (530-590)

Even very short text like the cipher...

And yes i know that there is not a even number of letters for a playfair... we will see if i get any further with that....maybe someone knows the transposition? 

This columnar transposition cipher will also move spaces around, so you can take "a b c" with a key of "2 1"

-this sentece has almost same ic... but the letters match the common letters how they should be

For this i tried keyed ceasar "the castle" with shift to look if they can match but didnt come further....

Maybe its only a transposition.... but i didnt found something which starts with spaces....if you use "the castle" as transpositioncode...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. I just tried the cipher on google translate and I got these result 

from Bengali to English

EFZIL COVNITF
KUN ER GYYWKJOLE
FEEKUBY XTRXAANW
PA VUVYSOV QY
DEY FO AZ IT
IUIB SYNWM DOQ
MIMR JOAB EQ

Ephjila kabhnitpha
Kuhn's jnaybkjale
Phikubi tam
How many legs bhubhysabha
Formerly the Feb. today
Iuiba sinbma daka
One will mimara

Just getting ideas and it sound funny. But I think it doesn't make sense 

1 hour ago, Tomppaa1 said:

from Bengali to English

EFZIL COVNITF
KUN ER GYYWKJOLE
FEEKUBY XTRXAANW
PA VUVYSOV QY
DEY FO AZ IT
IUIB SYNWM DOQ
MIMR JOAB EQ

Ephjila kabhnitpha
Kuhn's jnaybkjale
Phikubi tam
Formerly the Feb. today
Iuiba sinbma daka
One will mimara

Well, it's more than we've got since we started - Can you tell me what language you translated from?

6 hours ago, Tomppaa1 said:

from Bengali to English

EFZIL COVNITF
KUN ER GYYWKJOLE
FEEKUBY XTRXAANW
PA VUVYSOV QY
DEY FO AZ IT
IUIB SYNWM DOQ
MIMR JOAB EQ

Ephjila kabhnitpha
Kuhn's jnaybkjale
Phikubi tam
Formerly the Feb. today
Iuiba sinbma daka
One will mimara

Wow... i found a mistake

XTRXAANW - i think its an "i" in the cipher?

So did the same - and the translation should be because the shit google does... try to translate back and you will know what i mean 

I will put the translations in the spoiler 

Its sure funny... who is jack? ? from soe? Hope for a coincidence

E.g. arabic 

Spoiler

Afezl Kovntv
Jeremiah fact Jiokgel
Following Ksircsno
Ba Vvesf valuable
P et de Izz
Sinom rang defect
Muammar Answer EQ

Hebrew 

Afzil intent
Gisele R. Kuhn
We castration Picabia
Key locality here
Di Fu then S
Yoav Sinom actually
Mimar Gov. Jack 

Kurdish

EFZG COVNITF
KUN ER GYYWKJOLE
FEEKUBY XIRXAANW
PA VUVYSOV UK
OLD FO AZ IT
Iúil SYNWM doctors
Architect Joan EQ

Hindi

Efjil Kvnitf
Er kun Tryvkjole
Fikuby Gircsav
Vuvysov eligible purchases
De Foe IT today
Dok Iuib Synvm
Job mimar a

Persian 
Afzal Kvvnytf
Now of Gyyvkjvlh
Fakvby Khyrksaaanv
Vvysvv feet long
Di Fu of quality
Diagnostic accuracy Synvm
Answer Mymr action

Urdu

Urdu

Better kuuntf
Qin Er gyyukjuly
Fykby ra
Vomiting can uuysuu
Fu of the verse
Synum successful duq
A senior one,

Put together:

?

Fazit: you really could put some sentence together and try all languages... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27.5.2016 at 6:35 PM, WaterKH said:

Does anyone have a texture file of the clocktower cipher? I'll check back through the thread, but don't remember seeing anything!

Sorry for the dump question: what exactly is a texture file? I dont find a translation for that...

Archived