Sign in to follow this  
The Meh

"Tank" isn't his first name... so what is?

The Meh    75

I just thought I'd share a bit of a discovery I found in watching the new Der Eisendrache trailer.

Between 0:41 and 0:48, it goes over the characters, with name and ranking, more or less. You could find it interesting to note how Nikolai is a Sergeant and Takeo is a Captain, and how Dempsey is a Corporal... but that's not what I'm here to talk about.

If you happen to look at the Dempsey's name...

56a95c53923cb_Screenshot2016-01-26at7.06

...there's quotations around Dempsey's supposed "first" name.
...which mainly implies that TANK is not his name... if we ever conceived it as much.

The question now is... what IS his first name?

I can't imagine this is something that's going to be the biggest discovery, and I don't recall ever actually seeing anyone with knowledge as to what his name actually is, or if this is old info in general, but the point stands: We really don't know these characters like we once thought... and we need to start piecing these sorts of things together.

So... I leave this to you...

Per aspera ad astra.
-The Meh

Edited by The Meh
  • Like 3

Its been known for a long time that Tank is a nickname, or theorised at least. I don't care what his name is, its inconsequential to the story. Its like they are trying to make him more interesting because he goes by a nickname.

I always saw it as further emphasis on his stereotypical American attitude, what with him always shouting out "Tank Dempsey!" in many of his quotes as he plows through zombies like a tank. I mean the O4 are quite literally personifications of most stereotypes of their respective countries of origin that were in WWII.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

Its been known for a long time that Tank is a nickname, or theorised at least. I don't care what his name is, its inconsequential to the story. Its like they are trying to make him more interesting because he goes by a nickname.

What if his name turns out to be "Russman Dempsey" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaBrZHunter said:

Pretty sure Tank has always been his nickname. 

I kind of suspected it was, although I thought it would be fine if it was his name personally as it is a name, not a common one obviously but it is a name. Also Mocking, that would mean he is also related to Brock (or Gary, whichever one has the last name Russman).

NaBrZHunter    488
2 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

I kind of suspected it was, although I thought it would be fine if it was his name personally as it is a name, not a common one obviously but it is a name. Also Mocking, that would mean he is also related to Brock (or Gary, whichever one has the last name Russman).

Wait, Brock or Gary was a Russman?

Just now, NaBrZHunter said:

Wait, Brock or Gary was a Russman?

Yeah, weird I know. In the files it has one of them as having the last name Russman, I can't remember which one but weirdly the other had no surname.

7 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

I swear the files in Shangri la....

What about them?

Did anyone really think his real name was Tank? What parent names their kid that?

Way back in the day people theorized his real name was Peter, who later turned out to be a separate character. Personally, I always thought that was stupid, especially since Peter has had next to no part in the story. It might've actually meant something if that was Dempsey's real name, but as of now it's not really all that relevant. That, and we have absolutely nothing to go off of.

35 minutes ago, ZombieOfTheDead said:

Did anyone really think his real name was Tank? What parent names their kid that?

Way back in the day people theorized his real name was Peter, who later turned out to be a separate character. Personally, I always thought that was stupid, especially since Peter has had next to no part in the story. It might've actually meant something if that was Dempsey's real name, but as of now it's not really all that relevant. That, and we have absolutely nothing to go off of.

Like I just said, Tank is a name and I am not sure why people aren't able to grasp that...

31 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

Like I just said, Tank is a name and I am not sure why people aren't able to grasp that...

There are people named Abcde out there, you can name someone pretty much anything, but back then that seems extremely unlikely. Especially since he'd be born in the 1800s when there were no Tanks, so he'd be named after a container.

2 minutes ago, ZombieOfTheDead said:

There are people named Abcde out there, you can name someone pretty much anything, but back then that seems extremely unlikely. Especially since he'd be born in the 1800s when there were no Tanks, so he'd be named after a container.

Tank doesn't just mean the vehicle though? I am not sure how you can't grasp that it is a name. It doesn't seem uncommon at all for a soldier character from WW2.

19 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

Tank doesn't just mean the vehicle though? I am not sure how you can't grasp that it is a name. It doesn't seem uncommon at all for a soldier character from WW2.

You're right, it doesn't just mean a vehicle, which I mentioned. It's also a form of container. Now why would anyone name their kid after a container?

What about a WW1 soldier? Tanks did not exist when Dempsey would've been born, which is one of my points. Either way, it's not a common name per say, even back in WW2. It's much more of a nickname for an unstoppable force, much like Dempsey is.

10 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

*Hides child. 

SHAME

1 minute ago, ZombieOfTheDead said:

You're right, it doesn't just mean a vehicle, which I mentioned. It's also a form of container. Now why would anyone name their kid after a container?

What about a WW1 soldier? Tanks did not exist when Dempsey would've been born, which is one of my points. Either way, it's not a common name per say, even back in WW2. It's much more of a nickname for an unstoppable force, much like Dempsey is.

I'm not going to reply if you are going to be sarcastic and rude. Tank can mean strong and tough, which Dempsey is. He was a Great War soldier in a dieselpunk alternate reality, who says the vehicle tank did not exist then or that is where his name is derived from?

Either way, it doesn't even matter since its his nickname .I was just pointing out that it still is a name, which is why there has been no point questioning it in the past. There was literally no need to be so rude because your opinion is different, which is what it is even though you are acting as if it is fact.

Oh and Dempsey is literally a common American surname.

2 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

I think the term "Tank" was created before the machine, as a way to express something meant to absorb damage and still fight heavily. 

If you can find something that proves that, then sounds fine to me, lol. It doesn't matter too much anywas

6 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

I'm not going to reply if you are going to be sarcastic and rude. Tank can mean strong and tough, which Dempsey is. He was a Great War soldier in a dieselpunk alternate reality, who says the vehicle tank did not exist then or that is where his name is derived from?

Either way, it doesn't even matter since its his nickname .I was just pointing out that it still is a name, which is why there has been no point questioning it in the past. There was literally no need to be so rude because your opinion is different, which is what it is even though you are acting as if it is fact.

Oh and Dempsey is literally a common American surname.

I'm being blunt, lol. I had to repeat what I said basically twice. That definition may have not existed back then, and you're really overthinking stuff regarding the dieselpunk stuff.

Like I said, wasn't being rude. If that's being rude, you've really got to chill out a bit, dude. You are right, though, it doesn't matter that much, so why are we on about it?

What does the last name have to do with anything? We were talking about the name Tank. 

We should really just stop this argument, I feel like this will escalate if we go further.

• Like 1

Zambo    0

Dont want to stir up anything buuuuut: There were tanks in origins... and giant robots for that matter... which was ww1. So who's to say there wasn't tanks before ww1? The point is moot though because tank is a common name... in countries like Turkey. So let's just agree that we all know Tank is his nick name and let it be. I know you guys already agreed to drop it so I'll just lemyself out.

Awards

The Meh    75

Any real guesses as to his real name, though? Anyone?

Just asking. For some reason, although with no real proof behind it, and even though it sounds fucking stupid...
...the name Tom comes to mind...

6 hours ago, The Meh said:

Just asking. For some reason, although with no real proof behind it, and even though it sounds fucking stupid...

Thats because PTG say its Thomas. I think its funny, because like Thomas the Tank engine. I am not sure what it is really. I hope its something a bit more tough sounding than that.

6 hours ago, The Meh said:

Thats because PTG say its Thomas. I think its funny, because like Thomas the Tank engine. I am not sure what it is really. I hope its something a bit more tough sounding than that.