The Armillary Sphere / Celestial Globe

PINNAZ

Now this isn't much but I think it's pretty cool & will probably be used in the Side Quest Easter Egg & have an awesome animation to go.

The big ball (spherical) looking object at the top of the picture below is what I think is an Armillary Sphere or Celestial Globe.

Black%20Ops%20III%20-%20Awakening%20Der%

Armillary Sphere

An armillary sphere (variations are known as spherical astrolabe, armilla, or armil) is a model of objects in the sky (in the celestial sphere), consisting of a spherical framework of rings, centred on Earth or the Sun, that represent lines of celestial longitude and latitude and other astronomically important features such as the ecliptic. As such, it differs from a celestial globe, which is a smooth sphere whose principal purpose is to map the constellations.

With the Earth as center, an armillary sphere is known as Ptolemaic. With the sun as center, it is known as Copernican.

964-Armillary-Sphere-q75-391x500.jpg

Celestial Globe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_sphere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_spheres

The celestial spheres, or celestial orbs, were the fundamental entities of the cosmological models developed by Plato, Eudoxus, Aristotle, Ptolemy, Copernicus and others. In these celestial models the apparent motions of the fixed stars and the planets are accounted for by treating them as embedded in rotating spheres made of an aetherial, transparent fifth element (quintessence), like jewels set in orbs. Since it was believed that the fixed stars did not change their positions relative to one another, it was argued that they must be on the surface of a single starry sphere.

41417_450.jpg

Spherical Astrolabe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrolabe

An astrolabe (Greek: ἀστρολάβος astrolabos, "star-taker") is an elaborate inclinometer, historically used by astronomers, navigators, and astrologers. Its many uses include locating and predicting the positions of the Sun, Moon, planets, and stars, determining local time given local latitude and vice versa, surveying, and triangulation. It was used in classical antiquity, the Islamic Golden Age, the European Middle Ages and Renaissance for all these purposes

41206_450.jpg

6404.jpg

Video's showing how the Armillary Sphere works

==============================

Ptolemy's Geocentric Model

The astronomical predictions of Ptolemy's geocentric model were used to prepare astrological and astronomical charts for over 1500 years. The geocentric model held sway into the early modern age, but from the late 16th century onward was gradually superseded by the heliocentric model of Copernicus, Galileo and Kepler.

Although the basic tenets of Greek geocentrism were established by the time of Aristotle, the details of his system did not become standard. The Ptolemaic system, developed by the Hellenistic astronomer Claudius Ptolemaeus in the 2nd century AD finally standardised geocentrism. His main astronomical work, the Almagest, was the culmination of centuries of work by Hellenic, Hellenistic and Babylonian astronomers. For over a millennium European and Islamic astronomers assumed it was the correct cosmological model. Because of its influence, people sometimes wrongly think the Ptolemaic system is identical with the geocentric model.

800px-1550_SACROBOSCO_Tractatus_de_Sphae

250px-Ptolemaic_elements.svg.png

The basic elements of Ptolemaic astronomy, showing a planet on an epicycle with an eccentric deferent and an equant point.

The Green shaded area is the celestial sphere which the planet occupies.

This is the texture for the discs that the Maxis Drone collects in Origins.

I have always thought this to be some type of Planetary Rings.

Perhaps this is related?

p6_zm_tm_medallion_e_zpsxwrjrk42.png

The Giant Blueprint Paper Scraps Picture also shows these Rings & Spheres with planets orbiting

Paper%20Scrap%20Blueprint%20Picture%20Co

Credit to @LiamFTWinter for the complete picture

Black%20Ops%20III%20-%20Awakening%20Der%

Speculative theory

• All throughout the church looks to be computer screens
  • Dr. Maxis has only ever been able to communicate with us through electronics
  • At the end of The Giant "Flytrap" side quest, Maxis says "That's it. The Beacon is lit. I know where & when you are"
  • The Electronic Device looks like it's going to power the Armillary Sphere/Celestial Globe so that Maxis (or Richtofen) can locate the Children

(Or it launches the Rockets causing the "Fallout" maxis also speaks of in The Giant Radio)

Awesome Website - Museo Galileo ~ http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/galileopalazzostrozzi/section/ManAndTheStars.html

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see what seems to be the silhouette of a man on one screen. Could this thing have been used to locate the Frozen One? Also the fallout that Maxis has comes from the war around him, he is in another universe too.

21 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

Yes, the fallout, and rest of the Der Reise radios appears to only apply to that world's maxis, the same one we hear at the very beginning of the giant cutscene. 

As for the Armillary Sphere. It's really cool looking, but in all honestly will likely just end up looking cool. 

No it is not the same one as the Giant cutscene one. They are completely different Maxis'.

We know that the castle is "Griffin Castle".

In the original story, in the Griffin Station, after his death, Maxis is in the Terminal of the station.

So if this room was simply the Terminal ? Also we know that in Origins, Richtofen search a "physicial host" to receive the brain of Maxis, and some people speculate about a possible Frankeinstein corpse below this "orb". There is also many of "lightning receptors" out of the castle. I think that this "orb" receive all the energy of the ligthning "receptor" and give this energy to Frankeinstein monster. Also, this monster will be finaly, the physical host of the Maxis' soul

Just my theory ^^

The Monty's blueprint in The Giant is just a blueprint about the Summoning Key (there is also refrences to the 4th dimension, and relativity theory), I don't think that the Summoning Key is an armillary sphere

Edited by Difintel
Summoning Key

Cheers @MixMasterNut

Looking through some of the diagrams on astrology - 

464px-Mappa_Mundi_2_from_Bede%2C_De_natu

Somehow reminded me of the Aztec Calendar found in Call of The Dead.

Aztec%2052%20year%20Calendar%20-%20All%2

Real Image

sonnenrad-kalender_zps8a2zydxl.jpg

1 hour ago, Difintel said:

We know that the castle is "Griffin Castle".

In the original story, in the Griffin Station, after his death, Maxis is in the Terminal of the station.

So if this room was simply the Terminal ? Also we know that in Origins, Richtofen search a "physicial host" to receive the brain of Maxis, and some people speculate about a possible Frankeinstein corpse below this "orb". There is also many of "lightning receptors" out of the castle. I think that this "orb" receive all the energy of the ligthning "receptor" and give this energy to Frankeinstein monster. Also, this monster will be finaly, the physical host of the Maxis' soul

Just my theory ^^

Yeah that's a great theory. Brains.

In that Origins trailer there is the frame that shows Richtofen cutting Maxis' brain out. What if Richtofen kept & has rezurrected Maxis' body!?

Maxis Brain/Soul now lives within the computer inside the church!

• This is how he has communicated with every map so far (Radios, Moon Terminal, all electronics. etc) 
  • This is why there are computer files from Maxis - Black Ops Terminals Data Servant.
  • This is how he know's "Where & When you are" & is trying to locate the Children.

All from this computer!

Maxis' technology (& the body that he lives in - computer) just keeps advancing over time!
He just keeps evolving from this Brain in a Jar
To being housed in a highly advanced for it's time (WW2) supercomputer! 

(In the Black Ops Terminal Oppy & Bush even state that -"Dr. Maxis was a man ahead of his time")

All from inside this Castle!

And then you have this creature that is Maxis' Body walking around helping you!!! Literal Walking Dead!

I've always wondered what this book in Mob of the Dead meant?

Frankestein_zpsikcm2dew.png

I also think he is the prototype for what the Campaign story ended up being. He is the Pioneer of that Technology

42 minutes ago, PINNAZ said:

Cheers @MixMasterNut

Looking through some of the diagrams on astrology - 

464px-Mappa_Mundi_2_from_Bede%2C_De_natu

Somehow reminded me of the Aztec Calendar found in Call of The Dead.

Aztec%2052%20year%20Calendar%20-%20All%2

Real Image

sonnenrad-kalender_zps8a2zydxl.jpg

Yeah that's a great theory. Brains.

In that Origins trailer there is the frame that shows Richtofen cutting Maxis' brain out. What if Richtofen kept & has rezurrected Maxis' body!?

Maxis Brain/Soul now lives within the computer inside the church!

• This is how he has communicated with every map so far (Radios, Moon Terminal, all electronics. etc) 
  • This is why there are computer files from Maxis - Black Ops Terminals Data Servant.
  • This is how he know's "Where & When you are" & is trying to locate the Children.

All from this computer!

Maxis' technology (& the body that he lives in - computer) just keeps advancing over time!
He just keeps evolving from this Brain in a Jar
To being housed in a highly advanced for it's time (WW2) supercomputer! 

(In the Black Ops Terminal Oppy & Bush even state that -"Dr. Maxis was a man ahead of his time")

All from inside this Castle!

And then you have this creature that is Maxis' Body walking around helping you!!! Literal Walking Dead!

I've always wondered what this book in Mob of the Dead meant?

Frankestein_zpsikcm2dew.png

I also think he is the prototype for what the Campaign story ended up being. He is the Pioneer of that Technology

Good theory, I think it's that, the Frankeinstein body is the corpse of Maxis, and his soul/brain has been transfered before in the Terminal.

In fact, Maxis is more important in the Terminal than if he was in a human body.

The book is also in Buried

21 hours ago, Difintel said:

The Monty's blueprint in The Giant is just a blueprint about the Summoning Key (there is also refrences to the 4th dimension, and relativity theory), I don't think that the Summoning Key is an armillary sphere

I'm not talking about the Summoning Key being an armillary sphere, only referencing the planetary rings in each corner of the picture.

19 hours ago, Difintel said:

The book is also in Buried

Argh, I meant Buried. Accidently wrote MotD. Cheers for correcting.

@Difintel Thanks for replying. Your comment sparked a great storyline. It makes perfect sense of everything. Cheers.

• Administrators

Great research as always, friendos! I feel more inclined to believe that this room and setup is quite crucial to the Side Quest somehow. And with time/space location via old school astronomy? Very plausible. I hope they give us a better view of this room when another trailer comes out. :smiley:

8 hours ago, PINNAZ said:

I'm not talking about the Summoning Key being an armillary sphere, only referencing the planetary rings in each corner of the picture.

Argh, I meant Buried. Accidently wrote MotD. Cheers for correcting.

@Difintel Thanks for replying. Your comment sparked a great storyline. It makes perfect sense of everything. Cheers.

Oh sorry about the armillary sphere in each corner, I didn't understand your comment like that.

About the theory, it's my pleasure dude :D

Also I just realize something, you said that these armillary sphere were like planetary globe ? And we search the localisation (space/time/dimension) of the children... So I think that if this "thing" above the corpse in the church is an armillary sphere, it will indicate to Primis where are the children.