New Visual Effect?

Summary: This thread was about the discovery that each Molly's Cream Cakes, and each Devil-O cart lights up as you get kills for the Trip Mine upgrade. If you are close to it, you won't see the effect as you are in it. A little further back and it looks like dull whitish light. From further back, it looks like an altered version of the mystery box light column.

------------------------------------------

Original thread>>>>

I got a new effect that i have not seen before and it was quite large. I searched the web and found nothing.

Short version: attempting Trip Mine Devil-O upgrade at Junction created this large yellow vortex 10 feet wide and 50 or so feet high with sworls.

My immediate thought was 'this is what will cause the cocoons with flyers' but i have nothing to back that with except speculation.

---

Long version: the game was new, i avoided rituals and summoning key. I had only Bowie Knife, Juggernog, and Trip Mines.

Opened Footlight first area, both ground-floor Waterfront doors. Did all Beast things in those two districts.

Round 3, leaving the BK area, i tried to do the D-O upgrade by the cart near the waterfront rift. I also threw a TM by the weird door by the CP switch 20 feet away. I tried to stab a few excess zombies away from the pack nearing the D-O cart, and they exploded (nuke). Apparently the upgrade sound occurred, for what that's worth.

Round 4, i got the TM kill at the weird door, no idea if that is relevant. No sound or visual cue.

Wrapped round 4 up after using beast to finish Footlight (Jugger machine, box with wig, The Black Lace).

Round 5 is fliers, this may be key. I killed most just doing stuff (getting beast stuff done, iirc). With 2 left, I threw a TM at the Junction D-O cart, i walked into Easy Street, threw down the other TM in front of the Loading Dock, went in and the TM killed one of the 2 remaining flyers, a grenade killed the last.

Nothing special so far. But there is that one Trip Mine that i threw down by the Junction Devil-O cart, on the flyer round, still. So i walk over by it at the start of round 6, and a zombie gets in the blast area, the TM explodes, and there appears this whirlwind of yellow in a giant column surrounding the Devil-O cart that lasts maybe 5+ seconds.

Edit: the TM exploded, killed the zombie, made the TM Upgrading sound, by then i had walked about to the red circle and had turned to face the zombies, when it appeared, after the kill and the sound effect. /end.

It did not look like any familiar in-game effects, though it could be loosely compared to the lightning bolts above the mystery box, but not the same, and yellow. The whole wide column was yellow and there were a couple of thicker/darker strips that swirled from the ground up.

I will, of course, attempt this on a flyer round in the future.

Brand new find, i thought that i would share.

I'm guessing i need to catch a flyer in that whirlwind, but that's just my hypothesis. It would definitely reach the Cocoon heights.

Did the bomb going off near the DO cart matter? It might explain the 97% chance of a round 3 bomb.

Did the weird door matter? I doubt it, but the one in subway is the one that the flyers get stuck in. There is one in each district and junction and the steps to subway.

Best guess: attempt Devil-O upgrade on flyer round. 

Hopefully this gets us somewhere.

Happy gaming!

Edited by 83457
Clarification/ Summary.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only tried once so far, but can not repeat this yet. 

If it's a glitch, it still showed something.

I want to be clear; this was not 'look! a grainy blob as i shot a margwa, it must be a cocoon'. I saw this clearly.

The yellow light, now that I've had time to stare at the blue box light, is the same type and sized 'column of light' as the box. Only it was centered on the Devil-O cart and had yellow effects swirling up.

Shrug. 

32 minutes ago, mmm chocolate said:

why can't you go back in the editor and look there, screenshot or phone pic.

360. How i wish that i could. That would help with a few things I've seen and done. I'd love to know what gave me a ding in that one game. I could look at each thing and figure it out perhaps.

Got a spare $400? Ha.

Sigh.

Edit: no capture card or anything fancy like that.

Edited by 83457

I know I've seen a similar affect while upgrading the Devil-O-Doughnuts. However what I saw appeared to be similar to that of the Mystery Box. After throwing down the Trip-Mine and having it go off, and receiving the "whaaaa" noise (not Samanthas laugh).

There was a beam of light followed by Lightning Bolts. The beam of light was very opaque, to the point it was almost translucent. It had a very light colored Blue hue to it (forgive me I am colorblind). 

Anyway inside this beam there appeared to be 3 or 4 lightning bolts. The whole thing didn't last very long. Maybe two seconds and that's it. As fast as I would look at it, it was gone.

I noticed this for maybe 3 or 4 days. There was a time when I thought they may be required, so every game I played this was the first thing I would do. Ever since then I no longer see it.

Thanks for the info.

I'm guessing glitch at this point. Especially if yours was blue. Mine was yellow, and the outer swirls could be a glitched version of the lighting, only on the outside. We'll see if it keeps happening and leads to anything.

• 2 weeks later...

This happened again, same Devil-O cart in Junction.

2 zombies closed in on me as i stood by it with my TM on the ground, i squeezed between them as the Margwa teleported next to me.

I ran almost to the red circle, turned to shoot Mr. Triplevision, as i looked back, i saw it.

This time, it was the blue ?box light, with the lightning bolts and all, for a few seconds.

Then, the lightning on the actual ?box was stunted. It was in waterfront, and the lightning bolts only reached up to the walkway above and were skinny. As opposed to the usual sky-high fat lightning.

I tried various things, but had no more effects.

Yes, always the junction, whether it was the first, or the second one that i did.

Both times, i ran towards the circle, then it occurred. 

I'm gonna run to each red circle after each Devil-O upgrade. It's probably just coincidence, but I'll check it out. It seems that it goes sky-high, so i should see it. The devil-O carts are 1 per district...

Allagua donuts?

I'm fairly certain that it's a glitch, but I'll poke around.

Edited by 83457
Or not it.

@83457

It couldn't be a glitch since I've gotten it to happen & now you have as well. There's no way in Hell that's actually a glitch. This is something they have programmed into the game itself.

I Would always go from Junction then to Canals & finish with Waterfront then Footlight. I believe one time I saw it on all 4 locations, and honestly I believe that's the last time I've ever seen them.

I'm ready to release my other Theory, but I need more proof or evidence. So I believe, this time around, Treyarch have made it where you unlock certain shit the more & more you play Shadows. Thus why in the beginning you were never seeing this occur when upgrading the Trip-Mines. 

Coincidentally enough when I would be playing and was ready to collect the Symbols for the Sword, the Window boxes would be glowing red. Now all of a sudden when I go on a Parasite Round, they are completely Blacked out, with the exception of the Symbols that are still glowing red. Honestly it makes them a lot easier to see.

Another thing I've started to Notice while playing is this "Humming" sound in the Canal District, well now I've started to hear it in he Footlight District as well. Not so much in the Waterfront District, as I don't ever really find myself doing anything Mid-Round here.

Oddly enough now I see the Beast Symbol for "Breakable" Objects on the flower PODs. I thinkn you can see where I'm going with this, he only downfall is I don't have enough actual evidence or hard facts, this is in fact the case and what's really going on here.

"This is not a Sprint, This is a Marathon"

Interesting.

Both times that i saw this effect, it was real early. Usually i break open waterfront first, no matter what, and buy the BK on round 1 or 2. 

So this effect has usually been in the early rounds. The margwa showed up last time, so it was probably round 8 start. The first time, it was probably round 2 or 3.

Round 1 and 2, i usually get BK, TM, Juggernog, in that order. I usually start the upgrades at waterfront, then Junction since that is all that is open.

The first time, it was the second one that i upgraded. The second time, the waterfront upgrade failed to work, so the junction effect happened on the first triggered upgrade cart.

8 hours ago, a7alpha said:

The humming sound in the canal district is something i hear all the time.  I concluded that it was because I was above the portal that takes you to the underground.

See I was thinking this exact same thing, so of coarse I had to test it out. What I have found is I don't even need the "Rift Portals" to be open to hear it. Furthermore, I tend to hear it best on the opposite path in the Canal District. The side with the Devil-O-Doughnut Carts.

It's really weird to be honest, it'll seem as if I'm actually getting close to it, then all of a sudden it seems to go to the opposite end. Have you heard this same exact sound in either the "Footlight" or "Waterfront" Districts respectively. I just recently began to hear it in the "Footlight" District.

Did you look for the master pod in RR? Ha.

-----

I put this in the t virus thread, instead of here. Oops.

Mystery box lighting on Devil-O carts: i got this on junction and canal yesterday, by doing the trip mine upgrade and running to the red circle.

I couldn't see on Waterfront (the anvil blocks the view), and got forced out of Footlight at the start of the round and only could run back towards junction, so i didn't check that one.

But i got 2 to give the mystery lights, and again the ?Box lightning was stunted up close (but far away, the box lightning looked normal).

holly_cart.devil_cart.bouncingbetty.zmb_zod_ee_cakefight_devil.lght_marker_flare.zmb_zod_ee_cakefight_angel.wpn_betty_alert.specialty_immunetriggerbetty

If you look a the Coding between the red lines, this suggests that effect is normal. The weird thing about it is like I was telling you, I no longer see this anymore. I'm curious if you'll continue too see it, or after a certain amount of times completing it, you no longer see this happen.

So maybe it's always there, but we rarely look at the right moment.

Why was it yellow once?

Why does it sometimes look like the box lightning, while sometimes the internal effects are outside?

Why does it stunt the ?box light?

Connections? Or glitches?

These are rhetorical for now.

On 1/13/2016 at 0:16 AM, Ragdo11706 said:

See I was thinking this exact same thing, so of coarse I had to test it out. What I have found is I don't even need the "Rift Portals" to be open to hear it. Furthermore, I tend to hear it best on the opposite path in the Canal District. The side with the Devil-O-Doughnut Carts.

It's really weird to be honest, it'll seem as if I'm actually getting close to it, then all of a sudden it seems to go to the opposite end. Have you heard this same exact sound in either the "Footlight" or "Waterfront" Districts respectively. I just recently began to hear it in the "Footlight" District.

Is it the Tram by chance? Maybe it hums. That would explain the location possibly.

I tend to ride it there, taking Waterfront>Footlight>Canal route for symbols. Plus, it keeps me from casually cheating out of the map for a few seconds here and there.

7 hours ago, 83457 said:

Is it the Tram by chance? Maybe it hums. That would explain the location possibly.

I tend to ride it there, taking Waterfront>Footlight>Canal route for symbols. Plus, it keeps me from casually cheating out of the map for a few seconds here and there.

You know, that's a good possibility. The District the Tram is in, is the same District in which the "Hum" is present. I'll have to definitely check this out. Would really make it easy to figure out which District it's in.

Okay. I've done some 'research'.

Every Devil-O cart Trip Mine upgrade makes this effect. If you are in the effect, near the cart, you cannot see it from inside. If you back away as it happens, you can see as you cross through the effect, it appears dull whitish up close. From further away, you can more clearly see the effect. If there is a bunch of stuff going on, like a new round or margwa there, the effect sometimes delays.

Molly's Cream Cakes don't give this effect. I will test further, but have not seen it. *after further testing, MCC does, in fact, have the light as well.

Also, it seems the box lightning was changed in an update, and the box lightning is always stunted now. Not tied to the D-O cart effect.

Edited by 83457