Hi guys. So I've been browsing the YouTubes as I'm apt to do, and I came across this gem from ThatGuyWhoCamps

The whole video contains a TON of cutbacks, close calls, and just plain luck from the player, and the amount of times he takes these risks is almost to the point of recklessness. But from the looks of the gameplay, he's enjoying himself, and getting to round 43 on nuketown is no small feat in itself, without the risks. Now lets look at footage from IISteveII's current WR on The Giant

He barely gets hit the whole time he's running his strategy. In fact, when he gets hit, it tends to result in a red screen, if not an outright down (if you watch the rest of the video you'll see it). Despite the fact that he seems to be running what is not only the fastest but also the safest strategy on the map.

So where am I going with this? Well, I think ThatGuyWhoCamps, and players like Steve have a ton in common, in that they are both pretty exceptional at the game. And I don't think this thread will make any real difference in the coding of the game or anything like that... But I think that:

1. The zombies in BO3 take up too much space, or our character model does, and it limits our ability to train the zombies very effectively, because we are not able to make the type of trains we have been able to in the past.

2. The zombies stopping our run with their hits, and them slowing our momentum the more times we get hit, is an "unfun" game mechanic, that causes downs that would not have otherwise been caused, by poor play or a lack of control. These downs can often times not be attributed to the mistakes of the player, but simply coming too close to a single zombie in the horde.

3. The aggressiveness of the zombies at much higher rounds compounds the issues I've stated in one and two.

I'm not saying the game is impossible or unplayable, or anything like that (I did 60 on SoE the other day without much issue) just that the zombies difficulty increased disproportionately to the characters strength increasing. I particularly don't like the sprint stopping mechanic, but that might just be me.

So there are two options that I see to resolve the issue. The first is that we somehow have that game mechanic changed and zombies gets a little bit of a quality of life change, and we all walk away a little bit happier. I don't see who would detriment from this change. Option two is that we just get used to it and play around with it, which isn't so bad- we are all already doing it- but maybe less convenient.

So what do you guys think? Should the game mechanics change, or they balanced how they are? Am I just nitpicky? I know I've personally died quite a few times to this particular effect.

Edit: Guys don't get me wrong, I love this game and I'll continue to play the crap out of it, even if it like doubled or tripled in difficulty. I just want it to be the best iteration of zombies that it can be.

Edited by shirtlesservice
  • Like 1

Stanislav    2

I am also a fan of the added challenge. Towards the end of the life cycle of blops2 it got way too easy for me to even enjoy maps for anything other than trying to carry randoms to high rounds on my back, but now I even enjoy playing solo because of the added challenge. I still rage when I get a down because of getting hit once and being slowed down to the point where all the zombies hit you at once but its a good change in my opinion.

TimelordAlex    52

I want the zombies like BO1, that was where it was at its best. In BO3, it didnt occur to me that when you were hit you couldnt run, that explained a lot, i had one zombie after me, he hit me and it wouldnt let me run away from him, and seeing as they hit you 4 times per second, he hit me again, still couldnt run, before i could even kill him, i was downed. BO2 Zombs may have been slightly easy - but i would take that over the style of BO3 zombies so far.

Chopper    188

I empathise with Treyarch in a way.

They would have got slagged off if they had the same zombies across 3 different games.  The issue with the changes they make it that affect the more casual players as opposed to the hardcore players.  Exceptional players will find a way to manage the changes, regular players will manage but casual players are in for a world of un-necessary pain.

I think that the zombie hit cancelling sprint is a logical thing to do, but as mentioned above; it's just not as fun as it used to be with changes like this.

83457    263

I say one or the other, but not both.

Either they can hit 6+ times in a second, or the hits slow you down, not both.

Getting downed, with jug, because you ran past one zombie, is ridiculous.

Also, fix the 'zombies in your rear area' noise so that it works. I hate that they run up behind you, unload a few hits and then make the 'I'm behind you' noise. It worked in waw and bo1+2, why is it different now?

• Like 1

On 12 December 2015 at 11:34 AM, 83457 said:

I say one or the other, but not both.

Also, fix the 'zombies in your rear area' noise so that it works. I hate that they run up behind you, unload a few hits and then make the 'I'm behind you' noise. It worked in waw and bo1+2, why is it different now?

I struggled with this, tweaking your audio settings will help a little, albeit a little but does help. They totally screwed that one up. I've Been trapped by a re spawning zombie a few times whilst off loading into a hoard. Combine that with the hit speed you're pretty much screwed.

• Like 1

Awards

On 12/13/2015 at 0:43 AM, superstudmuffin said:

I struggled with this, tweaking your audio settings will help a little, albeit a little but does help. They totally screwed that one up. I've Been trapped by a re spawning zombie a few times whilst off loading into a hoard. Combine that with the hit speed you're pretty much screwed.

I feel like they may have adjusted this in a recent patch or hotfix because I feel like I can hear more zombies behind me now. Not all of them but I hear most of them, and I haven't really toggled with my audio settings much at all apart from using my headphones most of the time.