Der Eisendrachen Location - Hohenwerfen Castle

Just thought I'd get some discussion going about the location of Der Eisendrachen.

It appears to be the Hohenwerfen Castle, located in Austria:

Hohenwerfen Castle Wiki

BZhpJp6.png

hohenwerfen7.png

Castle_Hohenwerfen1.jpgAJDOKkv.png

Another interesting note about this castle, is that the coordinates on the Shadows of Evil note are:

47° 30′ 26.51″ N
13° 12′ 49.48″ E

The coordinates of the Eisriesenwelt, the largest Ice Cave in the world, are:

47° 30′ 10.58″ N

13° 11′ 24.9″ E

bild2_08.jpg

Nearly identical, and the Hohenwerfen Castle is only 1.7 miles from the Eisriesenwelt, so the coordinates on the note essentially point straight to them.  Another indication that we will be interacting with the Eisriesenwelt on this map is the Barcode Cipher on The Giant, which when decoded reads, "The Mountain must be searched for The Frozen One." So it looks like everything is pointing in the same direction here.

Just another note, the map appears to be set in World War II, based on the V-2 rocket and launch rig in the background:

ZAFzBLC.png

500004493-03-01?$re-zoomed$

Just some other things to discuss, any guesses on what these things are?

uJQS9Cg.png

UQ9xswF.png

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I know the first thing that had come to mind with the large object in the last image was a tank, but there are clearly buildings protruding from it.

Here's another picture of the V2 with an original launch rig identical to the one in the promo image, except that you can see the enormous difference in size between this V2 and the one in the Der Eisenbrachen image.

0,,16254936_303,00.jpg

Also, it might be noted that the Nazis attempted to burn Hohenwerfen, however only succeeded in gutting it. Could a zombie outbreak have cause this in our lore? ;-) Guess we'll find out.

I actually did some research on a that cannon, which I've determined to be some sort of Flak cannon used for air defence although it's hard to tell what teir of Flak it is...

Moving on to the point, the investigation led me to "Wewelsburg castle" in northern germany. The main thing that stood out to me was this: 

tumblr_n9mofuTQoa1qb97vpo1_500.jpg

The black sun. The castle has NUMEROUS links to the 3rd reich. But the geography of the castle is intriguing as well, as it matches that of what little geography we see in the image. 

bh-124-10.jpg

On the other hand, the castle's actual make up and shape don't look very similar. 

Just thought this place would be nice to consider. -Nazi research station, -Cold castle, -black sun logo, -Occupied during WW2 by germany, as its in germany.

2 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

I actually did some research on a that cannon, which I've determined to be some sort of Flak cannon used for air defence although it's hard to tell what teir of Flak it is...

Moving on to the point, the investigation led me to "Wewelsburg castle" in northern germany. The main thing that stood out to me was this: 

tumblr_n9mofuTQoa1qb97vpo1_500.jpg

The black sun. The castle has NUMEROUS links to the 3rd reich. But the geography of the castle is intriguing as well, as it matches that of what little geography we see in the image. 

bh-124-10.jpg

On the other hand, the castle's actual make up and shape don't look very similar. 

Just thought this place would be nice to consider. -Nazi research station, -Cold castle, -black sun logo, -Occupied during WW2 by germany, as its in germany.

Sadly the map is not set there, its set in Austria and we have found the location already.

35 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

Well really all we have to go on is that this map is set in a frozen castle. It's highly probable the map is set there... But this is also a somewhat unlikely possibility. 

Was I more on point with the cannon?

No but you can clearly see that this castle is the same as Hohenwerfen, that other castle looks nothing like it. I would rather go off what we know is in the map than stuff we don't know if its in the map.

Quoting this picture again because - THAT. IS. AWESOME!!!

19 hours ago, BlindBusDrivr said:

Castle_Hohenwerfen1.jpgAJDOKkv.png

All of the Architecture is identical

http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/werfen/erlebnisburg-hohenwerfen/geschichte.htm

1794_8__DSC5985.jpg

1795_8__DSC5987.jpg

Look at the BELL TOWERS!

1781_8__DSC6146.jpg

I wonder what lurks down here?

1748_8__DSC5956.jpg

935_8_PICT0029.jpg

Oh, and it is also a Falconry Centre. Eagles Nest anyone?

(even though Hilters "Eagles Nest" was in Germany)

1787_8__DSC5791.jpg

There was also a movie made there in 1968 titled "Where Eagles Dare"

Hohenwerfen Castle Tours

TO THE ICE CAVE BATMAN!

Eisriesenwelt Werfen Ice Cave Tours 

All of those video tours are well worth watching. You get a good idea for what a map layout may be.

Considering both of these places have tours, Treyarch have probably done a field excursion here

Thanks for sharing! There is some joke music in those videos :) On the other hand i can visualize the map now i think its going to be pretty tight? I am hyped and happy to be going back to Europe, back to WW2 and all with the O4 i presume. Those ice caves look eerie and have a zombies vibe to them as it is. I bet treyarch booked both places out to take photos/mapping ect. 

Edited by Westy