Sign in to follow this  
Stop Mocking Me0

Issues with new system

Alright, so recently I've had the chance to actually play the giant, and SOE. 

And I've got to say. WOW. It is HARD. 

Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge, but certain aspects are just not acceptable. 

Like, when I was playing the giant, I had one zombie left (on solo), and he lost his arm so I couldn't make him a crawler. And the box was near teleporter B (The one with the two massive vats). But as I was hitting it, the zombie came up from behind me and slapped me. I was startled, but accepted it, and started to turn around. As I did I absorbed two more slaps (a double-swipe if you will). I had jug so it was OK. But by the time I switched from my empty gun to my full gun, I had been swiped twice more and was now down. 

If there is one zombie, and it can get me down before I have the time to turn around, change weapons, and shoot it, there is a problem. If I didn't have jug I  would have been down long before I'd even been able to react to the zombie. 

In multiplayer it's not as much of an issue because players can hold zombies and keep an eye on them. Solo, not so much, if the last zombie cuts you off anywhere, which on a map like SOE is common, ONE OF YOU is going down, which 7/10 times, spells disaster for you. 

I think it would be fair, if instead of each zombie just endlessly being able to slap you to pieces, that each zombie have the ability to swipe twice, then have to wait a second and a half before swiping again. That way if theres' two zombies they can still take you down if you have the 3 hits and jugg. But a single zombie isn't as much a threat to solo players. If there was a way to patch this I would HIGHLY approve. 

The sprinting I can deal with, the new pathing methods I can deal with, but such a fast rate of swiping is unacceptable for only one player and I think that needs to be changed. 

• Like 2

83457    263

Agreed. Your idea is sound.

PaP a gun and die, with Jugger, from one zombie while trying to get the x prompt to actually let you take the gun.

They slow you down too much when you get hit, so one zombie can get 6 insta-hits in a half second.

They barely make noise behind you anymore, so you can fix a window and suddenly get downed from a zombie in the window.

Easy street: fixing a window, a lone zombie starts hitting me, grabs my shield so that i can not move while he is behind the barriers, and kills me. I just ran in place while he beat me down.

The game should end because you're trapped, not because you ran past a lone zombie.

It is fairly ridiculous.

-----

On the other side of the coin: mp zombies need to spawn more consistently. All through the twenties both me and my friend keep going; ' i have one here' and we think the round is over, then a few more appear. Then we think it is done, then a few appear. I've never seen such sporadic spawning where you constantly think that the round ended in the middle of the round in the 20s.

Edited by 83457

I don't think the fast swiping is too much of an issue because I do like the added degree of difficulty it brings to zombies. However I have cursed at the game many a time for having jug and full health and getting downed instantly if skate by too close by a hoard whenever I would've otherwise passed by virtually unharmed in previous games.

Though I agree spawning near the end of a round definitely needs some adjusting. I wouldn't mind it if there was one single zombie that spawned a little later than the last one but to have several appear sporadically is just annoying when trying to get stuff done. Especially when people start killing them off at separate locations on the map and accidentally kill the last one.

It's a new system that they're trying out, with any luck, they'll patch this before the mod tools become available in march. 

Like I said KAM, that's the 5000 swipes-per-minute at work there too. In cramped maps like SOE, you're going to have to run past a horde at some point, and when that time comes, we should be at most taking 4 hits of damage, not the full 6. 

What the system does right now is provoking players to camp, and I don't like that.  Love the new PAP elemental effects, and how OP they are, but I should be able to train around somewhere if I want to truly enjoy the game not sit in one area and continuously shoot for hours with the occasional thunder blast or purple explosion. I tried training on the giant like I have in BO1, and It immediately failed. Camping on the catwalk got me to round 15 on solo easy. 

MegaAfroMan    117

Although the new swipe speed has given me many moments of frustration, all in all I like the change. I've managed to adjust enough now to simply making sure I take passbys a little wider than I used to.

Plus I feel like although camping, at least on The Giant, haven't tried on shadows, is definitely more viable with ammo granting gumballs and PaP effects, the strongest PaP effect (Blast Furnace in my opinion simply because it can and will kill a whole horde, will give you points for the kills, and will count the kills as yours) is almost useless when just camping.

Training is still rewarded with Blast Furnace, sliding, certain gumballs (power up spawners especially seem to perfectly fall right into you if activated while running forward.) and Widows Wine.

Overall I appreciate the new difficulty. I don't think it necessarily is applied right to offset the new features though.

A zombies game now either goes really poorly or really well. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween.

Either the zombies beat the crap out of you and make it impossible, or you skate by them and it is a breeze with no ammo concerns and gumballs galore.

But in the end, I still like it a lot and don't find it "unacceptable".

4 hours ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

It's a new system that they're trying out, with any luck, they'll patch this before the mod tools become available in march. 

Like I said KAM, that's the 5000 swipes-per-minute at work there too. In cramped maps like SOE, you're going to have to run past a horde at some point, and when that time comes, we should be at most taking 4 hits of damage, not the full 6. 

What the system does right now is provoking players to camp, and I don't like that.  Love the new PAP elemental effects, and how OP they are, but I should be able to train around somewhere if I want to truly enjoy the game not sit in one area and continuously shoot for hours with the occasional thunder blast or purple explosion. I tried training on the giant like I have in BO1, and It immediately failed. Camping on the catwalk got me to round 15 on solo easy. 

Yeah, I mean I've learned to work around it. It's just when you should take 1 hit but take 5 instead is super frustrating but I don't know if they should necessarily patch it. It does provoke camping but I hate camping in zombies so I've tried my best to find train spots. I've actually found a spot in the Giant to train around in but the previously stated issue of 5000 swipes per minute makes it a tad hard sometimes. I'm slowly getting to the point where I can build a train without really taking more than a hit or two, if any. But I pretty much have to camp until all the zombies starting running because slow ones always prove to be my end.

Smok3y    42

It was a shock admittedly playing the first few games but I think its just a case of now adapting to the amended ruleset so to speak. the great thing about zombies, there really is only one person to blame 99.9% of the time (currently not including connection interrupted / disconnects)

I think you'll be fine mocking, it is just the change of pace, saying that, I imagine when i go back to play some MOTD it may now seem quite a bit easier.

Rissole25    378

What's funny is it was actually worse than this during launch week. The slap rate was the same, but the zombies were fast jogging/sprinting by Round 4. Now they don't do that till about Round 9 or 10. But, with that update, they gave them completely new animations for basically everything, so it was a bit hard to adjust to that. And I also think they added in sprinter Zombies occasionally as I've had times where I had to sprint or else they'll catch up.

3 hours ago, Rissole25 said:

What's funny is it was actually worse than this during launch week. The slap rate was the same, but the zombies were fast jogging/sprinting by Round 4. Now they don't do that till about Round 9 or 10. But, with that update, they gave them completely new animations for basically everything, so it was a bit hard to adjust to that. And I also think they added in sprinter Zombies occasionally as I've had times where I had to sprint or else they'll catch up.

First match I played on The Giant I was looking around the starting room and happened to look at a window right as a zombie vaulted over it and booked it right for me, scared the poop outta me. I killed him but then had 3 even faster sprinters appear on round 4 and took me by surprise again and died as a result. I'm glad they adjusted that at least. Though on SoE the last zombie on round 1 while doing rituals will turn into a full on sprinter and I don't know if it's because of the rituals or because of how long we kept him alive.

8 hours ago, Smok3y said:

It was a shock admittedly playing the first few games but I think its just a case of now adapting to the amended ruleset so to speak. the great thing about zombies, there really is only one person to blame 99.9% of the time (currently not including connection interrupted / disconnects)

I think you'll be fine mocking, it is just the change of pace, saying that, I imagine when i go back to play some MOTD it may now seem quite a bit easier.

See that's what I hate. 

In WAW, BO1, and BO2, if someone went down on decent connection it was from one of three things: 

1- You don't understand the balance of the game and/or how to train. 

2- You're own stupidity

3- Another player's stupidity (or trolling) 

Now, it generally is the zombies fault for killing you. The game shouldn't be able to kill you, you should only be able to fall short of what the game requires from you. I don't approve. Hopefully we can see some improvements. 

Another thing I've noticed is space. In WAW zombies would stop about a foot and a half away from you and start swiping, but now they just barrel strait at you and start swinging, making it easier to get cut off in passageways and cramped areas. 

3 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

The game shouldn't be able to kill you, you should only be able to fall short of what the game requires from you. I don't approve. Hopefully we can see some improvements. 

The game shouldn't be able to kill you.

That is the whole point of the game, Jason Blundell even said recently that the purpose is to survive as long as possible until you die. Thats always been the games purpose, zombies try to KILL you. What game have you been playing for the past few years?

1 minute ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

The game shouldn't be able to kill you.

That is the whole point of the game, Jason Blundell even said recently that the purpose is to survive as long as possible until you die. Thats always been the games purpose, zombies try to KILL you. What game have you been playing for the past few years?

The zombies do kill you, but 9 times out of 10, until BO3, they killed you because you made a bad choice, you crossed a train, or left to PAP mid-round, or forgot to buy jug. Now you can be runing near-perfect circles on the giant and you'll still go down from insistant slapping. 

11 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

The zombies do kill you, but 9 times out of 10, until BO3, they killed you because you made a bad choice, you crossed a train, or left to PAP mid-round, or forgot to buy jug. Now you can be runing near-perfect circles on the giant and you'll still go down from insistant slapping. 

Actually on past games I have died by random stuff like double swiping and stuff. I can train pretty easily on the Giant, its the same map but in all fairness I have always been majorly careful. The thing with this game is that they don't just slap you but actually slow you down when they hit and grab you so that three hit becomes a one hit. They do need to patch it but don't forget that the game is always out to kill you, this could be a way of 3arch saying that we have been able to understand how things work for a while but now we aren't the masters of zombies anymore.

Smok3y    42
39 minutes ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

See that's what I hate. 

In WAW, BO1, and BO2, if someone went down on decent connection it was from one of three things: 

2- You're own stupidity

Now, it generally is the zombies fault for killing you. The game shouldn't be able to kill you, you should only be able to fall short of what the game requires from you. I don't approve. Hopefully we can see some improvements. 

Another thing I've noticed is space. In WAW zombies would stop about a foot and a half away from you and start swiping, but now they just barrel strait at you and start swinging, making it easier to get cut off in passageways and cramped areas. 

Personally for me it all falls under number 2. Even if it's other players I take the responsibility for their stupidity.

kinda like driving a car sure there are idiots on the road and you can't be held accountable for someone else's mistake but you can adjust and account for the unknown or just human stupidity.

NB makes a good point and that being the slow/daze mechanic that can really Rock your world!

however I think the only thing killing me currently other than my own errors are the disconnects even when soloing.

The main issue is that a single zombie can kill you when you have Jug as you run past it while you're trying to do end of round stuff like buying perks or guns. I've no issue with increased difficulty (I actually think it's a good thing because now camping is a much more viable strategy when compared to training than in previous games, due to the increased swipe speed as well as other factors, such as the various PaP weapon upgrades), but I don't like having cheap deaths in between rounds because somehow a single zombie has managed to develop propeller like arms and can get 5+ hits on me in about 3 seconds.

My main suggestion to Treyarch would be to either remove or reduce the slowing effect that zombies have when hitting a player, or make it only apply when receiving damage from more than one zombie. But I'd like to see the rate that the zombies hit at kept the same for the added challenge and to encourage camping as an alternate strategy.

(Just a note, I don't want to see training being replaced by camping, I mainly want to be able to choose between training and camping when I want a high round game instead of being stuck with training being the only high round strat (except for buried of course, but then camping was too overpowered in that map) like we have in the previous few games)

Awards

TheDunbarian    14

1. In previous games, training was too easy and camping too hard. Treyarch has shifted the balance in this one so that both strategies are equally difficult but viable.

2. Zombies in this game isn't too hard. Zombies in previous games was just too easy. I welcome the challenge.

3. Keeping a crawler/single zombie at the end of the round to do things was never a strategy Treyarch intended for us to use. It was originally intended that players would turn on the power, hit the box, buy perks, upgrade weapons, etc. in the midst of surviving the horde. I think what they're saying by making even a single zombie dangerous is, "okay, yeah, you can save a zombie to get shit done, but that doesn't mean you can be completely careless."

Basically, Treyarch spoiled us with the easy difficulty of early zombies. I think this game got the balance just right.

• Like 1

Awards

InfestLithium    495

git gud

In all seriousness, the new system isn't too wonky. I don't mind having the zombies beefed up, but for the love of god remove the slowed-down effect of getting hit by a zed. That is my biggest concern.

I'm starting to get peeved by the OHK zombies that are NOT boss-based but I digress...that just comes with the increased difficulty.

4 hours ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

See that's what I hate. 

2- You're own stupidity

Isn't the game trying to kill you the point?

Awards

InfestLithium    495

@PortlyLlama80 He's saying the way the game/system is designed shouldn't kill you; the concept of the mode is zombies trying to kill you and that's how it should always be.

Bad glitches and poor game mechanics shouldn't.

On 11/30/2015, 11:30:33, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

i agree training on the giant is a joke because of the aggression if you dont have stamin up your going to have a hard day you are forced to camp and go for headshots i love headshotting them anyway but they hit you they dont drag you in like w@w but sure as hell stops you enough to get wrecked to easily you dont run quick enough either really to train i dont think. hopefully they change it

Awards

8 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

git gud

yep i agree i am SICK or annoyed at least the slow down they cause for the giant you cant train for this reason really they force you to camp shadows of evil on the other hand i can run around on no issue probably primary reason is the riot shield existing. you cant even recover barely when slowed down i try to jump as well i notice that has been nerfed there is literally no altitude or much of height jumping

In all seriousness, the new system isn't too wonky. I don't mind having the zombies beefed up, but for the love of god remove the slowed-down effect of getting hit by a zed. That is my biggest concern.

I'm starting to get peeved by the OHK zombies that are NOT boss-based but I digress...that just comes with the increased difficulty.

Awards

7 hours ago, InfestLithium said:

@PortlyLlama80 He's saying the way the game/system is designed shouldn't kill you; the concept of the mode is zombies trying to kill you and that's how it should always be.

Bad glitches and poor game mechanics shouldn't.

Ahh, it seems I was misunderstanding his point.

Awards