Tac

Everything We Know About "M"

Tac    462

Hey guys, Tac here, and this thread is so we can talk a bit about both this mysterious M character! I first go through (what I've found to be) all the references to M, where the orange text blocks are ciphers and white are radios. Then, summarize the main points and try to think of who that could be.

So, first and foremost, we have this letter in Shadows of Evil with an "M" on the front, and sitting in a dead man's lap:

"M"

MISINTERESTEDINTHESEWORTHLESSBEINGSALLHISWORKWILLBEUNDONEX
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I MEET THE REPORTER WHO WAS TO DELIVER THE ARTIFACT. HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO BRING IT ON HIS TRUCK IN A CRATE. BUT WHEN I ARRIVED, THE REPORTER WAS BABBLING, AND ACTING WILDLY, WAVING A LETTER IN HIS HAND TELLING ME TO STAY AWAY. THE CRATE CONTAINING THE ARTIFACT HAD BEEN SEALED WITH SOME ANCIENT MAGIC. WHEN I TOLD HIM I MUST HAVE THE ARTIFACT AND MOVED TOWARD THE CRATE, HE ATTACKED ME. I ACTED IN SELF-DEFENSE STABBING HIM IN THE CHEST.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

EDWARD AS YOU KNOW IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU AND THE GROUP FIND THE EXACT VERSIONS OF YOURSELVES THAT I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED IN EACH UNIVERSE ONLY BY KILLING THAT VERSION OF YOURSELF IN THAT PARTICULAR UNIVERSE AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME WILL WE BE SUCCESSFUL ONCE EACH OF YOUR OTHER SELVES ARE KILLED ACROSS ALL UNIVERSES REMEMBER WE ARE ONLY IMMUNE BECAUSE WE OPENED THE PORTAL IN FRANCE BUT I AM AFRAID THIS MIGHT NOT BE PERMANENT I FEAR THERE IS SOMETHING M ISN T TELLING ME AND THAT THERE IS NOT MUCH TIME LEFT FOR US

Richtofen must understand that using these teleporters to jump between dimensions is both dangerous and imprecise. At any point, the fabric of space-time could collapse if the proper amounts of 115 are not maintained. l am also concerned about the unknown effects of trans-dimensional jumps. l have noticed even with my brief travels that new memories and emotions have flooded my mind, suddenly appearing from nowhere. l am also sure something is happening on a molecular level as well.

Dr. Maxis: Reality itself is shifting… I find myself reflecting on memories I am no longer sure are my own. Beyond the window, I saw a wasteland stretching as far as the eye could see. I saw a scourge visited upon the Earth. I saw the children… withered before my eyes. That was before… before he came. Samantha has been returned to me once more, as have you Edward… as have you.

Dr. Maxis: He explained everything to me, he will explain everything to you. Though his very presence defied logic, defied reason, he told me that he would help. I could not refuse.

So, from that we can conclude that M:

• first and foremost, did not place the letter on the dead body (the reporter) as some thought, as he had it while he was alive
  • is giving either guidance or orders to both the Quadrotor Dr. Maxis and House Dr. Maxis
  • may or may not be benevolent, as it seems to be a grand figure in a time of darkness and that can go either way
  • is interested in "worthless beings"
  • might have authored that last cipher, we can't be sure

Relating to the reporter, there are a couple paths we can take. We know the reporter is yelling at this person and waving the letter in their face, so maybe there's no relation, but perhaps he's waving it at that person because it's M. I'm unsure of which I think is the case, though I think it is a good thing to think about as it either leads us towards or away from Mr. Rapt, the reporters boss.

Next we see that M is guiding both the Quadrotor Maxis (as he helps Richtofen jump through the universes) and House Maxis. However, Quad Maxis specifically states that he thinks M is withholding information, and because House Maxis seems to be in a low place, the standards on a savior are a bit lessened. Because of this, I can't be sure of M's intentions, but am excited to learn.

Then, M is interested in some worthless beings. I think the answer to this depends a bit on the prior question. If M has good intentions, an outside force may be saying these two Maxis's are the worthless beings; but if he has bad intentions, one of these two may have written it about M's interest. And of course, the worthless beings could have nothing to do with either M or Maxis, and actually be the zombies, or humans as a whole, or some other thing.

Finally, is that last cipher from M? This message seems to be coming from someone in command, and it's unclear who. It could be the drone Dr. Maxis from Origins, but the general issue with saying any Dr. Maxis is the author is that there is little evidence of him ever having "brief travels" through a teleporter. The only two references are the teleportation in Der Rise/The Giant by Richtofen, and then going through the portal in Origins. To me, neither of these are the kind of evidence necessary to conclude that Dr. Maxis wrote the cipher, though I think it's enough to at least consider. On the other hand, could it be this M? That's where I lean, but would love to hear all of your thoughts!

• Like 2

AntBirch90    3
50 minutes ago, Tac said:

Hey guys, Tac here, and I'm creating this thread so we can talk a bit about the latest cipher that was discovered by @MrRoflWaffles, @BlindBusDrivr , and myself (though mostly those two :p).  Here is a picture of the cipher, thanks to @LiamFTWinter , as well as a link to the video of Milo covering the cipher.

Upon solving the cipher, the text reads as follows:

MISINTERESTEDINTHESEWORTHLESSBEINGSALLHISWORKWILLBEUNDONEX

When taken a part and made sense of, it reads "M is interested in these worthless beings.  All his work will be undone.  X"

Now, this then requires us to ask plenty of questions.  For example, who exactly is M?  Is it Maxis, or perhaps Monty?  What seems to be very clear is that it's connected with the dead body holding what seems to be a letter addressed to this M.

ETenYeR.png

Additionally, what exactly is being referred to by worthless beings?  Does it refer to Maxis's obsession with the undead army in our original timeline, or perhaps someone else's interest in either the Shadows of Evil cast, or our Giant crew?  Finally, who is 'x' that has signed it?  Something interesting to note is that for every character, they are assigned a code in the game files.  For example, Dempsey is 1, Nikolai is 2, Takeo 3, and Dr. Richtofen 4.  Maxis?  Well, on Moon at least, he's been assigned an x.  Now, because this is in the game files and the average story enthusiast doesn't have access to this information, it's very likely to not mean anything, though I thought it interesting enough to include regardless!

What do you guys make of this?  Any and all discussion is welcome!

Where is the picture of the body holding a note from? Is it a screenshot from a map in-game?

• Like 1

Tac    462

@AntBirch90, yes!  It's on Shadows of Evil.  If you go to the train station near the canals and through the door, it's the first window on the the right I believe!

• Like 1

AntBirch90    3
2 hours ago, Tac said:

@AntBirch90, yes!  It's on Shadows of Evil.  If you go to the train station near the canals and through the door, it's the first window on the the right I believe!

Thanks for the heads up, I've mainly been playing the Giant :)

Tac    462
14 minutes ago, Hells Warrrior said:

Me too, which is why I have moved this to the SoE forum.

Oops!  Thanks for helping me out!

• Like 1

DragonGJY    81

So is the cipher using the same Vigenere Cipher as it did in Origins? If yes what's the key? Hope Milo could soon make a vid talking bout how to crack it :|

DrVonstool    62

I love how this story remains vague and uncertain even three games later. I personally believe in my own theory of where the story is heading this season. I feel that there is/was some foreshadowing in previous maps that we never picked up on at least until now. For example, at the end of Origins, we were like "WHUT?!" but then as this game began, Origin's ending began to make sense. First, the house floating on the rocks. This photo was believed to be fake or whatever but it's apparently seen in one of the MP maps. My guess is, this is the house that Samantha was talking about. Well... Not Samantha but the songs. I listen to Treyarch Sound over and over and over AGAIN!(Black Sabbath joke) But there's one song that I listen to and when I hear the lyrics I keep hearing her talk about a house. "This house is not my own/home" is what I remember. So, let me explain why my words relate to this post. It's possible for me to believe that Black Ops the original was the original reality. That once Maxis sent his rockets to Earth he did more than just destroy that version of Earth, he distorted every other version in every other realm. Basically, this is why in Black Ops II our Earth isn't completely destroyed, it's just completely distorted. This leaves me to conclude that Black Ops II was an alternate Realm much like Morg City... Just... Not as well told... Anyways, this means from Tranzit to Buried, including MotD, we were fixing a different distorted realm. That once we activated Maxis' side (which is presumably the canon side) we banished Richtofen to the Black Ops II realm and allowed Maxis to communicate with the Black Ops III Realm. Origins characters are also from the BOII realm except these characters discover the rift between realms (The last thing you use in the Easter Egg is a "teleporter") this Rift sent our characters through time to when our tragic story began. However, Richtofen was taken somehwere else. Morg City, perhaps. During this journey, it's possible that Maxis was communicating with Richtofen his plans for the future and saving the children. Now, with the idea of separate realms in mind, we can begin to look at some of the anomalies within our game's story. For one, Monty could be an alternate Maxis. We recall our Perks-a-Cola drinks were supposed to be used to enhance soldiers and create a line of super humans capable of winning the German's a World War. Since this Black Ops III realm is considerably different, I would like to consider that a lot of things are considerably different. For example, the Richtofen we killed may in-fact be the original Richtofen but the reason we see so much difference in this map is because we killed Richtofen as our alternate selves. Once we changed history, we changed what the realm produced. The infinite will always happen it's only a matter of how or when. So, it's my opinion that this Gobble Gum mechanism was always in existence but in a type of limbo where it wasn't fully developed and wasn't in the physical in the BOI and BOII realms. However, it's possible that in this BOIII realm thanks to the death of Richtofen, the production of the Gobble Gum machine was made for the children. Now, we have two of each character. Two Richtofens, one dead. Two Nikolais, Dempsys, and Takeos. Two Maxis', two Samanthas. My main point is that Maxis is going to sacrifice the realm in which Samantha is in Richtofens body in order to save a realm where she isn't. This realm is where we are now. This realm is the realm we saw her playing with toys in. This house may just be the mystic house in the sky. Our Maxis could be named Monty, now. Only Time Travel Will Tell. Another point I wanted to make was something that Takeo says. "A thousand fools make not one smart man." I believe, when it comes to Richtofen, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. So, with this in mind, it seems that some things don't change. Well... The Variables always change.... As for this Mister M... "His work will be undone." Now, this could be our Maxis' work, or Monty's work, but one thing that leads me to believe in the two Maxis' theory is that line "His work will be undone." It's either positive or negative. Maxis at this point has done a lot to banish Richtofen and, not only that, but have him killed by another Richtofen. What work could possibly be undone besides what has already been undone? Undoing what is undone to undo it all? Maybe the M is for Marlton? Ever consider his cute face? Well, if the theory of the alternate realm and double the characters is true, this would have to stand true for all the characters. Not just Maxis and the Origins crew. Of course, there is also a heavy truth to this. We might still be in Black ops II during Shadows of Evil.

• Like 1

Awards

Tac    462
On 12/2/2015, 9:07:46, jross cway said:

I'm def thinking Monty is m . He is the only one truly helping us with all these inventions. But I keep wondering who X is ....

He definitely could be!  It'll be fun honing in on whether it's Monty, Maxis, or perhaps some other character entirely!

83457    263

In another post, someone mentioned it could be W (seen from the dead guys angle) for Weasel (motd).

It may not be the best fit, and may not be correct, but there are other motd ee things in this map, like the plane, and the jacket at Chang's.

My first thought is also Maxis, but Monty is a good guess as well.

Worthless beings? I'd guess the sinful players first, second guess would be the Keepers. But maxis doesn't seem to help the players (Monty at least provides snacks), so, if Maxis, then i think that he is helping the Keepers, since his message in the subway is like 'sorry, but your doomed', which doesn't sound like he's helping us.

That being said, maybe he hooks us up with the Arbgwaoth... When the way is found. Maybe he turns that frown upside down.

• Like 1

Ragdo11706    363
8 hours ago, 83457 said:

In another post, someone mentioned it could be W (seen from the dead guys angle) for Weasel (motd).

It may not be the best fit, and may not be correct, but there are other motd ee things in this map, like the plane, and the jacket at Chang's.

My first thought is also Maxis, but Monty is a good guess as well.

Worthless beings? I'd guess the sinful players first, second guess would be the Keepers. But maxis doesn't seem to help the players (Monty at least provides snacks), so, if Maxis, then i think that he is helping the Keepers, since his message in the subway is like 'sorry, but your doomed', which doesn't sound like he's helping us.

That being said, maybe he hooks us up with the Arbgwaoth... When the way is found. Maybe he turns that frown upside down.

Haha,  nice. This is the reporter we hear in the phone calls.

"There it is in Black & White"

• Like 1

Tac    462

This is awesome! So, I'll post the cipher below (and in the OP) for those not familiar:

I MEET THE REPORTER WHO WAS TO DELIVER THE ARTIFACT. HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO BRING IT ON HIS TRUCK IN A CRATE. BUT WHEN I ARRIVED, THE REPORTER WAS BABBLING, AND ACTING WILDLY, WAVING A LETTER IN HIS HAND TELLING ME TO STAY AWAY. THE CRATE CONTAINING THE ARTIFACT HAD BEEN SEALED WITH SOME ANCIENT MAGIC. WHEN I TOLD HIM I MUST HAVE THE ARTIFACT AND MOVED TOWARD THE CRATE, HE ATTACKED ME. I ACTED IN SELF-DEFENSE STABBING HIM IN THE CHEST.

So, we've got that new cipher that tells us that the dead man is the reporter from the phone call. I can only assume that the individual who wrote this cipher was Mr. Rapt, since I'm not sure why anyone else would be collecting the artifact. Note that the reporter had the letter and was babbling when he went to go meet Mr. Rapt, so perhaps the letter informed him of something unsettling with Mr. Rapt. The letter is still unsolved, and the M/W on the front becomes even more confusing (unless the reporter's name starts with an M or W).

• Like 2

Ragdo11706    363

@Tac

It feels like that's Someone else talking besides the Shadow Man. If it were him why wouldn't he have just secured the Summoning Key then, why wait and have us do it.

Unless he knew, he needed us to break open the Apothicon Rift Stone.

Tac    462
2 minutes ago, Ragdo11706 said:

@Tac

It feels like that's Someone else talking besides the Shadow Man. If it were him why wouldn't he have just secured the Summoning Key then, why wait and have us do it.

Unless he knew, he needed us to break open the Apothicon Rift Stone.

Because I personally don't believe that Mr. Rapt and the Shadow Man are the same person. I can see it happening, but I have yet to have the evidence laid out to me (but I suppose this whole thing is another issue entirely haha).

• Like 2

Ragdo11706    363
3 hours ago, Tac said:

Because I personally don't believe that Mr. Rapt and the Shadow Man are the same person. I can see it happening, but I have yet to have the evidence laid out to me (but I suppose this whole thing is another issue entirely haha).

I can see that, I've never really felt like they were one in the same.

83457    263

Reaching here: try M things?

Mar-Astagua? The version of the AS that i rarely see, i get the other 3 evenly. Held by Magician?

Molly upgraded Trips/BBs? I'm fairly certain I've tried this back when i only knew of one TM upgrade.

Gun upgrade that starts in M?

I want it to be a nonstatic ee. Interact damn you!

Ragdo11706    363
31 minutes ago, 83457 said:

Reaching here: try M things?

Mar-Astagua? The version of the AS that i rarely see, i get the other 3 evenly. Held by Magician?

Molly upgraded Trips/BBs? I'm fairly certain I've tried this back when i only knew of one TM upgrade.

Gun upgrade that starts in M?

I want it to be a nonstatic ee. Interact damn you!

The upgraded BloodHound is the Meat Wagon or some shit right, then the Argus is the Ancient Messenger, not sure about the others I'll check this game.

Drewxke    18

Glitching Queen posted a vid with a cracked cypher from Der Eisenblah which has to do with the guy holding the letter in SoE, very interesting and worth while...

• Like 1

Awards

Tac    462

So, we now have four references to M. One was the letter with the initial on it, followed by three ciphers (each in one map so far). The one for Zetsubou No Shima is as follows:

EDWARD AS YOU KNOW IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU AND THE GROUP FIND THE EXACT VERSIONS OF YOURSELVES THAT I HAVE HIGHLIGHTED IN EACH UNIVERSE ONLY BY KILLING THAT VERSION OF YOURSELF IN THAT PARTICULAR UNIVERSE AT THAT PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME WILL WE BE SUCCESSFUL ONCE EACH OF YOUR OTHER SELVES ARE KILLED ACROSS ALL UNIVERSES REMEMBER WE ARE ONLY IMMUNE BECAUSE WE OPENED THE PORTAL IN FRANCE BUT I AM AFRAID THIS MIGHT NOT BE PERMANENT I FEAR THERE IS SOMETHING M ISN T TELLING ME AND THAT THERE IS NOT MUCH TIME LEFT FOR US

So, this shows that the author of the message, likely Dr. Maxis, is getting his orders from this M. Any new theories on who it could be, or new reasons to support old ideas?

50 minutes ago, Tac said:

So, we now have four references to M. One was the letter with the initial on it, followed by three ciphers (each in one map so far). The one for Zetsubou No Shima is as follows:

So, this shows that the author of the message, likely Dr. Maxis, is getting his orders from this M. Any new theories on who it could be, or new reasons to support old ideas?

Or M is Maxis from the house and this is from the Quadrotor Maxis who is in the Aether at the moment, as he seems to be near the locations of test subjects or at least interacting with them in some manner. He also mentioned Origins so the person involved must be from Origins too, which only leaves Quadrotor Maxis really.

Tac    462
6 hours ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

Or M is Maxis from the house and this is from the Quadrotor Maxis who is in the Aether at the moment, as he seems to be near the locations of test subjects or at least interacting with them in some manner. He also mentioned Origins so the person involved must be from Origins too, which only leaves Quadrotor Maxis really.

Yup I feel the same way about Quadrotor Maxis, that's who I meant when I said Dr. Maxis but I didn't specify. My apologies on that one. M being House Maxis is a good idea, @MixMasterNut postulated that as well, and I could see it.

EDIT: Actually @Nightmare Voyager, I was thinking. In that radio, it sounds as though House Maxis is saved by someone who mesmerizes him, and I suspect this is M. So, I don't think M is House Maxis. What do you think?

Also gonna add the two radios here, because I think they both have reference to this M. Really like these ones honestly:

Dr. Maxis: Reality itself is shifting… I find myself reflecting on memories I am no longer sure are my own. Beyond the window, I saw a wasteland stretching as far as the eye could see. I saw a scourge visited upon the Earth. I saw the children… withered before my eyes. That was before… before he came. Samantha has been returned to me once more, as have you Edward… as have you.

Dr. Maxis: He explained everything to me, he will explain everything to you. Though his very presence defied logic, defied reason, he told me that he would help. I could not refuse

• Like 1