The Character Stories and Mr. Rapt

Tac

• Administrators

TmzY6GR.png

Hey guys, Tac here with another thread.  Through the various telephones, whether they be from the prologue or in the actual game, we have learned a lot about our four sinners we play with.  Below I'll provide the three transcripts for each of their respective sections, as well as the handful of quotes from the rituals general encounters (in orange), in chronological order.  Afterwards I'll provide my thoughts and theories on what was just read, so I recommend skimming all the dialogue transcripts beforehand.  To get this out of the way, I am saying the one consistent man on the phone is Mr. Rapt, as noted when the journalist said the following to Mr. Rapt: "I tracked down all the people you asked me to look into.  I sent you a telegram of all their details, all their contact numbers."  Another to note, which everyone likely already knows, is that the phone calls in which no one responds signifies that the killing of whoever has already taken place.

Nero Blackstone

Telephones

Spoiler

Nero Blackstone:  It was never enough for her.  No matter what I did, she complained.  If I was busy, I wasn't paying her enough attention.  If I wasn't busy, I was lazy.  She complained, and she spent money!  She was really good at both.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Rapt:  As you can see, these documents give some indication as to the considerable amounts of money we are talking about.

Nero's Lawyer:  My client would never have signed the authorization on these loans!

Mr. Rapt:  Nonetheless, there it is, in black and white, signed by the Mrs. herself.

Nero's Lawyer:  Nero's family estate is not what it once was.  Even if these documents are genuine, we'll need some time to get our affairs in order.

Mr. Rapt:  I would advise your client that our company intends to aggressively pursue settlement, within one week.  Fifteen days, at the most.

Nero's Lawyer:  Look I need to make a call, my secretary will see you out.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Nero Blackstone:  I do understand the seriousness of the situation, why else would I be talking to my lawyer?

Unknown Person:  *inaudible*
Nero Blackstone:  Just to be clear, can you please tell me precisely how much, uh, debt my wife has accumulated?

Nero Blackstone:  Do you happen to know if our life insurance policies are fully paid up?

Nero Blackstone:  No, I can assure you I'd never, ever think of taking such a course of action.  No I just want to make sure our affairs are, um, in order.

*Nero is seen practicing a trick and throwing a knife into his wife's head*

Nero's Lawyer:  Nero, I have the most wonderful news!  The loan documents were fraudulent!  Well, your wife was fraudulent. She forged your signature on the loan agreements, and we can prove it!  The date on the forms says November 5th, last year.  Exactly the same time you were in the hospital following your performance of the Amphibious Man!  You couldn't possibly have signed those papers, you were in a coma for the entire month!

Nero Blackstone:  I... I killed him.  I didn't want to, but I kind of sort of.. had to.

Nero Blackstone:  He was my friend; possibly my only friend..

Nero Blackstone:  I stabbed him in the back.  I feel bad, I really do!  I didn't just stab him in the back, I sacrificed him!

Thoughts

Spoiler

Mrs. Blackstone took out "considerable amounts of money" from the family estate by forging the signature of her husband, Mr. Nero Blackstone.  The Blackstone's were facing tough times ahead and Mr. Rapt took advantage of this unfortunate situation and contacted Nero's lawyer, posing as a debt collector, saying that his company would "aggressively pursue settlement within one week, ... fifteen days at the most."  The lawyer passed this on to Nero and out of haste, Nero called another company to ensure that the life insurance policies had been up to date, where he then proceeded to killing his wife.  After his wife had been killed, however, Nero's lawyer called and informed a message machine that they proved Mrs. Blackstone forged her husband's signature, meaning his life wasn't going to come down crumbling and killing her was unnecessary.  However, upset about believing his lawyer wasn't able to prove him innocent, he sacrificed him.

Some disagree that Mrs. Blackstone actually did forge her husband's signature and instead said that Mr. Rapt forged both signatures.  However, clearly, I disagree.  In each telephone call, we learn that the first person each character kills has done something wrong, between Jack's Partner covering for him, Floyd's contact rigging the fight, and Jessica's client taking pictures of her.  Why should we think that Mrs. Blackstone was the only one who didn't follow this trend?

Jack Vincent

Telephones

Spoiler

Jack Vincent:  Hey.

Snitch: *inaudible*

Jack Vincent:  We got a problem.

Jack Vincent:  A big problem.

Jack Vincent:  The mayor's trying to make a name for himself, stickin' his nose where it don't belong.

*newspaper with front page headline "Mayor Cracks Down on Police Corruption" and outline sketch of Jack is seen*

Jack Vincent:  He's lookin' into... allegations of police bribery.  What do you say we get together at the usual joint; put things through, figure out a way to put this to bed before it gets outta hand?  Trust me, have I ever steered you wrong before?

*cinematic shows the Snitch meet with Jack, where Jack knocks him out and shoots him twice*

Mr. Rapt:  Please understand that you yourself are not under any suspicion at this time.

Jack's Partner:  Yeah yeah, I know, can we just cut to the chase?

Mr. Rapt:  The chase?  Excellent metaphor.  Or is it an allegory, I can never remember the difference.

Jack's Partner:  You wanna know about my partner, Jack Vincent.

Mr. Rapt:  You're a good detective.

Jack's Partner:  So what do you want to know?  That he's a loudmouth, a showoff, more than a little rough around the edges?  That he's a drinker, smoker?  How about the fact that he's got a wife that scares him more than any fucking criminal out there?  What do you want me to tell you?

Mr. Rapt:  Is Jack Vincent on the take.

Jack's Partner:  Listen, the more I talk to you, the more I'll get a reputation around the precinct.  Can we maybe do this elsewhere?

Jack's Partner:  Hey Jackie it's me.  Some suit came by from Internal Affairs today, asking a whole bunch of questions.  I didn't say shit, 'cause I don't know shit.  As far as I can tell, you're in the clear.  I trust you Jackie, you're my best friend.  You're like a brother.  I just want you to know I got your back.  Always.

Jack Vincent:  Rubbin' off my snitch?  That's one thing, he was a no-good low life.  The world's better off without him.  But my partner?  Ah shit, he didn't deserve that.

Thoughts

Spoiler

Jack Vincent was a corrupt cop dealing with a "snitch," and upon hearing that the Mayor was cracking down on corruption, contacted his snitch and killed him.  Knowing that Jack Vincent was corrupt and the Mayor was cracking down, Mr. Rapt took advantage of the situation and posed as a worker from Internal Affairs, coming to Jack's partner asking about any corruption.  Worried from the get-go that his partner would eventually say something to the police, Jack sacrificed his partner.

It has been widely assumed up until this point that Mr. Rapt had a hand in pushing the characters to performing their misdeed, though how can this be the case with Jack Vincent?  He killed his snitch shortly after finding out about the Mayor's crackdown. In a similar manner in which we asked why Mrs. Blackstone was the only one who didn't follow a certain trend, why would Jack Vincent be the only one to not follow the trend of Mr. Rapt pushing each person to kill?

Floyd Campbell

Telephones

Spoiler

Mr. Rapt:  Putting aside your enormous self-interest as a promoter, what would you like to say to boxing fans everywhere about the upcoming fight, particularly with regard to this last-minute substitution, uh, Floyd Campbell?

Champion's Promoter:  I'd like to say that Floyd Campbell is a credible opponent, despite how the bookies may see it.

Mr. Rapt:  What about the fact that fans would much rather see the number one contender facing off with the champion, your champion, as opposed to this unheard of, journeyman fighter?

Champion's Promoter:  Look, there's no doubt that Floyd Campbell is the underdog, nevertheless.

Mr. Rapt: Are you using Campbell to keep your big moneymaker away from opponents who could be just a little too dangerous?

Champion's Promoter:  The champ doesn't avoid anyone.

Mr. Rapt:  But-

Champion's Promoter:  But nothin', this interview is over! No further questions!

Floyd Campbell:  *inaudible* for it in eighteen months, I'm steppin' in at the last minute.  I only got two weeks to train.  But the outcome ain't many doubtin'.  See, I ain't leavin' nothin' to chance.  He may be the number one contender, but his career ends tonight.  Just know the ref knows to turn the other way, 'cause this ain't gonna be pretty.  But once it's done, once you collect your debts and your bets, I get my shot at the title.

*Floyd is seen fighting Tony King and uses brass knuckles under his glove to brutally beat him*

Floyd Campbell:  He got me a big fight, there was a last-minute substitution.  I told him the outcome wasn't in doubt, I didn't tell him I was gonna bend the rules.

Floyd Campbell:  If you're talkin' about the fight, he was still breathin' last I heard.

Champion's Promoter: Hey Floyd, you did good.  You kept your word, deliver the knockout.  I just wanted to tell you not to worry about any fucking journalists or commission investigations.  That shit is done.  Anyways, besides setting your mind at rest, I wanted to give you the good news.  It's all set, you got it Floyd.  You got your title shot.  January 15th.

Thoughts

Spoiler

There was a scheduled fight between the champion and the number one contender, Tony King.  However, the champion's promoter got Floyd Campbell to take the champion's spot in the fight, and Mr. Rapt took the opportunity to get inside the situation.  He posed as an interviewer and interviewed the champion's promoter, implying that the substitution was not legitimate.  Floyd knew that winning this fight would allow him a shot at the title, so "leavin' nothin' to chance," he packed brass knuckles into his gloves and ends up killing Tony King.  He got the champion's promoter to ward off any followups about the incident and concerned that he wouldn't follow through on this, sacrificed him.

Jessica Rose

Telephones

Spoiler

Jessica Rose:  Hey you...

Blackmailer:  *inaudible*

Jessica Rose:  I know I yelled at you real bad; I know I said some things I shouldn't have said...

Blackmailer: *inaudible*

Jessica Rose:  I was just angry...

Blackmailer:  *inaudible*

Jessica Rose:  Upset... You know how close I am to this movie deal.  I mean, they know about my dancing, but, those pictures!  You don't want to mess up my chance for stardom, do you baby?  What do you say you bring over those prints and we can make up?

*cinematic shows a man with a camera sitting on Jessica's bed, where she then stabs him with scissors*

Jessica Rose:  He had what was comin' to him.  He was blackmailing me, I couldn't let him ruin my one chance at the big time!  Besides, he was a piece of shit.

Mr. Rapt:  As you know, I'm looking to cast a female lead in my new picture, and I heard that you have quite the roster of up-and-coming talent in this town.

Producer:  Can you maybe tell me a little more about what kind of woman you're lookin' for?

Mr. Rapt:  I'm looking for an All-American girl, a real beauty.  I heard you may know an aspiring actress by the name of Jessica Rose?

Producer:  The Burlesque dancer?  Haha, she ain't exactly peaches and cream.  More sugar and spice.

Mr. Rapt:  I heard she's a real firecracker, if you know what I mean.  I'd like to meet her, give her a... scream test.

Producer:  Leave it with me, I'll get back to ya.

Producer:  Hey hey, Jessica!  A movie director came by to talk to me today, said he wanted to meet you.  I gotta be honest, I didn't get a good feeling from him.  I told him where to go, hahaha.  Well, not in so many words.  Listen, I'm glad you didn't sign that studio contract.  Truth is I'm not even much of a producer!  I'm more of a talent wrangler.  Here's the thing, my partner's written a musical that just got financing.  I know you're gonna be perfect for the lead!  This time next year, you're gonna be on Broadway baby!

Jessica Rose:  I couldn't have trusted that producer anyway.  He wasn't much different than any other bozo who's tried to promise me the world.

Jessica Rose:  He was a sleazeball.  I know enough about how he treats young starlets to know he deserved everything he got.

Thoughts

Spoiler

Jessica Rose was a dancer at a Burlesque and her producer was "a sleazeball" who also had her perform some kinds of sexual acts for clientele.  One of the these clients, however, took photos of her during these acts and was blackmailing her with them, so she got a hold of him and convinced him to bring the pictures with him to her place.  While there, she then stabbed him in the heart with a pair of scissors, thus killing him.  She felt the need to kill him because of a "movie deal" that the producer had promised her, thinking the pictures would jeopardize her chances of getting this movie deal.  At this time, Mr. Rapt came to the producer and asked him if he could meet with Jessica, so he could offer her the new lead in a movie and also give her a "scream test."  However, she never ended up signing the original movie deal with the producer and out of vengeance of not getting good roles and knowing "how he treats young starlets," she sacrificed him.

So, that's my preliminary analysis on what I've seen and heard so far.  There are many conundrums to deal with regarding Mr. Rapt, however.  It's been said that Mr. Rapt was involved in each character's plots from the very beginning, but given what I said regarding Nero Blackstone's wife, this doesn't appear to be the case.  Additionally, it's been assumed that Mr. Rapt took part in at least pushing each character to kill their associate, which may be given credence with the Blackstone and Campbell scenarios (the latter to a lesser extent).  However, it holds no empirical weight in regards to Jack Vincent and Jessica Rose.  With Vincent, one would have to show that on the same day the newspaper story ran, he found out the suit visited his partner.  This chain of events is not impossible, but there simply is no evidence to suggest that it's true.  In regards to Jessica's situation, one would have to show her producer's meeting with Mr. Rapt somehow led her to kill the blackmailer, though given what I said in that section, it simply isn't possible without inserting an unsubstantiated claim into the mix.  So, in the community's attempt to draw parallels between the stories and provide an overarching theme for what Mr. Rapt is treating these characters, we seemed to miss some things.  Are there still any overarching things we can extrapolate?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very comprehensive look at the general story prior to the events in Shadows of Evil. Good job writing it all out and making it look nice! If I may take what I have read and speculate...

There's something about "Shadow Man" and "Mr. Rapt" because A: Shadow Man is either a follower of Cthulu/Demiurge or is a spawn of the Demiurge/Cthulu and B: Mr. Rapt sounds like a shortened Mr. Rapture. Considering that this Demiurge/Cthulu wants the Apocalypse in order to assimilate our reality with its own reality, I assume that Mr. Rapt and Shadow Man are one and the same. My evidence for this claim is in the intro cutscene wherein which "Shadow Man" dives into a rant about these four characters and their "misdeeds". However, "Shadow Man" never once explains the events prior to the characters' receiving their "curse" which leaves me to believe that my assumption is wrong. Also, there's a huge underground occult that must have, in some way, been accountable for what was happening in the city. Needless to say, corruption like Nero to Jessica is common in life and unfortunately is a staple for the Human Race so the corruption and regret were certainly not the cause of the Curse but, like "Shadow Man" had said, was instead a gateway for the curse to manifest. This would make sense if we split the two personas (Shadow Man and Mr. Rapt) and instead look at them as two separate individuals. Shadow Man as the manifestation of Cthulu/Demiurge and Mr. Rapt as one of the occult. In any Satanic or occultist ritual, you need something to sacrifice in order to appease your God. During one's playthrough of the map, you will be forced to sacrifice FOUR individuals that will account for FOUR inter-dimensional worms. These worms with the souls of the sacrificed in them are manipulated to assimilate our reality with the reality of evil. For some evil cults the goal is just that; to assimilate a reality of evil with the reality of our own in order to appease their God. This is actually connecting to a major conspiracy in modern times known as the Illuminati, but that's been mentioned in this game mode many times... But not to this magnitude... The question that lingers is whether or not Mr. Rapt was plotting in accordance with the occult in order to use the four sacrifices to the advantage of the Demiurge/Cthulu or was Mr. Rapt just a concerned citizen sticking his nose in random places with corruption, but then you'd have to wonder why he would hire a reporter to investigate Morg City if he himself could've done it. To say that Mr. Rapt isn't trying to do some shady business would be naive. This reporter Mr. Rapt hired was able to to gather info not only about the characters but about the townspeople and the strange occurrences within Morg City. Another question that lingers from here to eternity is WHEN? When did Mr. Rapt send in the reporter into Morg City and when did Mr. Rapt begin his harassment of these four characters? Also not to change the subject but to add a little more, considering the many signs that say "Missing City", I feel as if Morg City has been manipulated much like that of Alcatraz. Making Morg City a literal Missing City, as in a City that doesn't exist or quite possibly the distortion of its original self. I think we may be in for an interesting backstory surrounding "Shadow Man" and "Mr. Rapt" because at the end of our adventures in Morg City, our Summoning Key is taken someplace else WITH Mr. Man inside of it. I just hope we get some more pre-recorded messages on old phones or else this story is gonna be in a Stalemate. The only thing that's for certain is that Maxis is gonna fuck shit up. I feel it in my balls.

Edited by DrVonstool