Sign in to follow this  
TheDunbarian

Treyarch, We Need to Talk About the Ray Gun *rant*

TheDunbarian    14

We all remember the first time we hit the box in Nacht Der Untoten and pulled out the now-iconic Ray Gun. It blew our friggin minds. Not only was it by far the most powerful weapon to use in Zombies, it was also the very first wonder weapon, and set the stage for Zombies' ridiculous, borderline humorous sci-fi elements, both in its story and in its weaponry. Basically, the Ray Gun set the precedent for what Zombies would become. Now, seven years later, the mode has evolved and changed. Perks, weapons, and characters have been added, the familiar music has changed, some maps are now winnable, weapons have been removed, and with Black Ops 3, even the beloved M1911 has disappeared, but the good old Ray Gun remains, unchanged.

And it's now completely obsolete.

The realization hit me sometime this past week. I was playing BO3 zombies and I hit the box, and what came up but the Ray Gun? I had used the BO3 Ray Gun before this (to find it, of course, unchanged from its previous iterations) and was about to take it when I realized, "Wait. What good would it do me to trade one of my current weapons for the Ray Gun? I mean, we're approaching round 20. I've got two pack-a-punched wall weapons with elemental effects on them. With Double Tap 2.0, these things are gonna keep killing for a while. Even pack-a-punched, the Ray Gun isn't likely to kill for much longer before it just starts making crawlers, and I can't put any elemental effects on it. Plus, since Flopper still hasn't returned, there's the danger of splash damage to consider. Hell, the Ray Gun doesn't even have a weapon level. These wall guns will unlock new attachments and camos if I keep using them, but not the Ray Gun. There is literally no benefit to using the Ray Gun." And that's when the strange realization hit me: the Ray Gun has become one of the worst weapons in the game.

Now, I dunno how Treyarch could fix this - hell, maybe they shouldn't fix it at all. The BO3 release has been such an absolute mess, what with glitches and online play issues, that the dev team likely has enough on their plate without taking Zombies' staple weapon back to the drawing board. They could just let the Ray Gun continue to be nothing more than a novelty and let players pass it up in exchange for the newer, better weapons. I guess I just miss the days where getting the Ray Gun out of the box was one of the luckiest possible pulls.

TL;DR: The Ray Gun sucks now and it makes me sad.

Awards

WCRobinson    3

I still think it is relevant. I think of the Ray Gun as an iconic weapon that is consistent throughout pretty much all of zombies... though I do think the ability to upgrade it more might be nice now, even if it is just being able to add one of the gun perk things onto it. Perhaps make a new perk for it. Anyhow, I still rejoice when I get it in the box. :)

Awards

TimelordAlex    52
3 hours ago, Stop Mocking Me0 said:

I think id' be cool if you could upgrade it from the ray gun, to the porters M2. To the ray gun mark 2. To the porters mark 2. 

That'd be cool. 

I had hoped for something like this too. Ray Gun > Porters X2 Ray Gun > Ray Gun Mark II > Porters Mark II Ray Gun > Ray Gun Mark III > Porters Mark III Ray Gun.

TimelordAlex    52

The Ray Gun became obsolete back in BO2 for me when they introduced the Mark 2 and for some stupid reason, it hasnt returned.