Still very confused with the giant timeline

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of right now and the story being hinted at in Shadows of Evil and the Giant, it seems like the timelines don't really matter anymore. Both maps mention multiple dimensions and timelines. So it sounds like the story is now going in the direction of a multiverse where there are multiple versions of the universe, which means multiple versions of Earth and our characters. If this is the case, then really any theory of when the maps took place can be correct.

Really disappointed if this is indeed the direction the story is going, but would be lying if I said I still wasn't enjoying the story in the two new maps. 

• Administrators

What he said. Sad story, but true. 

As far as I can tell, however, Origins did happen in a third universe, the children were playing a game with a similar concept in the second, ignorant of the fact that the NO4 were living it out, while in the first universe, (presumably ours) the events of Der Riese/Griffin Station were gearing up to take place. 

For some reason, the new Dempsey from U3 is on a mission to find the test subjects in U1. Nikolai from U3 is on a mission to destroy the German 'war machine' in U1, Takeo from U3, it would seem, may be looking for the Emperor, and Richtofen from U3 has come to kill Richtofen in U1 to stop the utter annihilation of U1 through the events of Der Riese - Buried. Meanwhile, Maxis from U2 is in contact with Richtofen from U3, praising his work and his heroic motives, and attempting to identify his location for exfil by use of a cross-dimensional beacon. The other 3, however, are pissed at Richtofen, as they still have business in U1. 

So its not realy clear in wich map or event they went to the giant? I just want to know at which point they went back in time.... (i think: that the crew teleported for exaple: moon, back in time to the giant to change history)  i don't know or that is correct, thats why i ask you guys!

Edited by kilerbrambo88x
  • Administrators
54 minutes ago, kilerbrambo88x said:

So its not realy clear in wich map or event they went to the giant? I just want to know at which point they went back in time.... (i think: that the crew teleported for exaple: moon, back in time to the giant to change history)  i don't know or that is correct, thats why i ask you guys!

They actually didn't go back in time. Retrospective time travel causes a grandfather paradox. They moved forward in time from Origins, and according to Dempsey, made two or more other stops along the way. 

On November 10, 2015 5:12:08 PM, Cheesegrater28 said:

As of right now and the story being hinted at in Shadows of Evil and the Giant, it seems like the timelines don't really matter anymore. Both maps mention multiple dimensions and timelines. So it sounds like the story is now going in the direction of a multiverse where there are multiple versions of the universe, which means multiple versions of Earth and our characters. If this is the case, then really any theory of when the maps took place can be correct.

Really disappointed if this is indeed the direction the story is going, but would be lying if I said I still wasn't enjoying the story in the two new maps. 

I'm not entirely convinced about that. From the various quotes and radios I've heard, I think the terminology is going in a different direction.

Their goal seems to be to save the Universe. If the multiverse theory is correct, then that means we're really willing to sacrifice as many universes as it takes just to save one. That to me sounds like a completely and utterly pointless goal. (Why not just hop to one that isn't so bad?) Maxis uses the term realms, as well as the singular universe.

So… it seems to me that they are using the term universe to describe everything in existence (the term's intended use), where the terms realms and timelines can refer to the different planes of existence within the Universe. This to me would sound like a much more noble goal, i.e. they are trying to save the Universe (i.e. all of creation) even at the expense of some realms (i.e. Nikolai killing three Richtofens, or not caring to sacrifice some timelines and try again). In fact, perhaps the great evil threatening the Universe can only be stopped if one particular sequence of events unfold, so they are in fact trying to create and unfold the one Universe-saving timeline that is needed.

• Administrators

On 11/10/2015, 5:42:32, NaBrZHunter said:
On 11/10/2015, 4:46:33, kilerbrambo88x said:

They actually didn't go back in time. Retrospective time travel causes a grandfather paradox. They moved forward in time from Origins, and according to Dempsey, made two or more other stops along the way.

Yeah, that's going to be an important thing to remember: there was no going back in time.  I'll try to explain it in a way that made it easier for me to wrap my head around (for the sake of explaining, I'll avoid the intricacies MurderMachineX detailed above).  Think about the life you're currently living, and let's say you have a significant other and eventually break up.  This is one universe, and in another, you met this same person in the same way and begin dating, but you don't break up in this Universe.  Everything about your life was identical up until the point in which you didn't break up, and life just took a different path from there.  Apply this to the storyline.  There is one universe in which 935 goes to Bar-le-Duc, France (Origins location), in search of Element 115 and don't find it ("main" storyline), but in a different universe, they did find some, and it changed the course of what we consider "history," if that makes sense.  It's the same concept as your significant other.

Now, there are an infinite amount of these universes.  To go back to the analogy about your life, there is a universe for falling in love with each and every individual person and every way possible.  Similiarly to the story, there is a Universe in which Dr. Richtofen was never conceived, one where he is killed at the age of 8, and one in which he decided to never go into this field at all.  Anything you can imagine is a universe.  These specific in-game universes are being treated as ones that Dr. Richtofen and Dr. Maxis have sought out, because they don't care about those other ones.  Does that clear anything up at all?  If not please tell me and I'll try again to help you :)

1 hour ago, NaBrZHunter said:

So...I'm curious. Are the Keepers the Vril? @Nightmare Voyager Was it you who read The Coming Race? Are they portrayed as necessarily malevolent? 

They definitely are not the vril, they do not resemble them. The Keepers just seem to be ancient interdimensional beings like the Margwa and whatever the Shadowman is and have the same purpose as the Knights in Origins. The Order of the Keepers seems to spread across a wide range of time. The Keepers, if anything though, have as much relation to the Vril as the Knights.

Whats with Nova/Phaser/Tele-Crawlers, Margwas, the Shadowman and Keepers not having eyes? No way its just a design choice, there has to be something behind that linking them.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

They definitely are not the vril, they do not resemble them. The Keepers just seem to be ancient interdimensional beings like the Margwa and whatever the Shadowman is and have the same purpose as the Knights in Origins. The Order of the Keepers seems to spread across a wide range of time. The Keepers, if anything though, have as much relation to the Vril as the Knights.

Whats with Nova/Phaser/Tele-Crawlers, Margwas, the Shadowman and Keepers not having eyes? No way its just a design choice, there has to be something behind that linking them.

I've seen pictures of the Vril, but I didn't know whether they had an established 'appearance. 

And that's a very interesting point. Let's tack the Jumping Jacks on that list as well. Also portal-jumping Aethereal monsters. 

• Administrators

Okay, check that. They are described as looking like angels...interesting, because the keepers kind of do. Especially when wielding swords. 

The author himself describes them in a letter, 'the coming race, though akin to us, has nevertheless acquired by hereditary transmission, etc, certain distinctions which make it a different species.'

Just now, NaBrZHunter said:

I've seen pictures of the Vril, but I didn't know whether they had an established 'appearance.' So they do? How does The Coming Race describe them? 

And that's a very interesting point. Let's tack the Jumping Jacks on that list as well. Also portal-jumping Aethereal monsters. 

Jumping jacks are telecrawlers, at least what I call them XD Also angels? I have not seen it describe them as that in the slightest. They do have these cool mechanical wings though.

Gonna quote the book since I have it with me:

Spoiler

"Its chief covering seemed to me to be composed of large wings folded over its breast and reaching to its knees; the rest of its attire was composed of an under tunic and leggings of some thin fibrous material. It wore on its head a kind of tiara that shone with jewels, and carried in its right hand a slender staff of bright metal like polished steel. But the face! it was that which inspired my awe and my terror. It was the face of man, but yet of a type of man distinct from our known extant races. The nearest approach to it in outline and expression is the face of the sculptured sphinx-- so regular in its calm, intellectual and mysterious beauty. Its colour was peculiar, more like that of the red man than any other variety of our species, and yet different from it-- a richer and a softer hue with large black eyes, deep and brilliant, and brows arched as a semicircle. The face was beardless; but a nameless something in the aspect, tranquil though the expression, and beauteous though the features, roused that instinct of danger which the sight of a tiger or serpent arouses."

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

Jumping jacks are telecrawlers, at least what I call them XD Also angels? I have not seen it describe them as that in the slightest. They do have these cool mechanical wings though.

Gonna quote the book since I have it with me:

Hide contents

"Its chief covering seemed to me to be composed of large wings folded over its breast and reaching to its knees; the rest of its attire was composed of an under tunic and leggings of some thin fibrous material. It wore on its head a kind of tiara that shone with jewels, and carried in its right hand a slender staff of bright metal like polished steel. But the face! it was that which inspired my awe and my terror. It was the face of man, but yet of a type of man distinct from our known extant races. The nearest approach to it in outline and expression is the face of the sculptured sphinx-- so regular in its calm, intellectual and mysterious beauty. Its colour was peculiar, more like that of the red man than any other variety of our species, and yet different from it-- a richer and a softer hue with large black eyes, deep and brilliant, and brows arched as a semicircle. The face was beardless; but a nameless something in the aspect, tranquil though the expression, and beauteous though the features, roused that instinct of danger which the sight of a tiger or serpent arouses."

They would seem to be, except that they spawn in like dogs, whereas telecrawlers/phasers are on-site, like nova crawlers themselves. Also, telecrawlers stay on the ground when in gravity. 

I stand corrected! Yet, yes, it does sound like an angel. Thanks for this! Unless Treyarch decides to create their own version, then (which, I still think they look like evil, ugly angels-AKA, demons) then they are definitely not Vril-ya. 

1 minute ago, NaBrZHunter said:

They would seem to be, except that they spawn in like dogs, whereas telecrawlers/phasers are on-site, like nova crawlers themselves. Also, telecrawlers stay on the ground when in gravity. 

I stand corrected! Yet, yes, it does sound like an angel. Thanks for this! Unless Treyarch decides to create their own version, then (which, I still think they look like evil, ugly angels-AKA, demons) then they are definitely not Vril-ya. 

To be honest, as weird as it sounds, the way Vril are described is weirdly closer to the O4 in the Primis poster. Anyways it goes like this: Nova Crawlers- Gas stuff, Phaser Crawlers-Phases around Moon in that yellow light, Telecrawlers- Teleport and jump around erratically and are the next evolution of Nova-Phaser. Thats my name reasoning anyways XD

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Nightmare Voyager said:

To be honest, as weird as it sounds, the way Vril are described is weirdly closer to the O4 in the Primis poster. Anyways it goes like this: Nova Crawlers- Gas stuff, Phaser Crawlers-Phases around Moon in that yellow light, Telecrawlers- Teleport and jump around erratically and are the next evolution of Nova-Phaser. Thats my name reasoning anyways XD

I'll agree, it is closer; however, they still don't have wings. But they do wield the staffs. 

GRRRRRR! JUST AGREE WITH ME! THEY COME THROUGH AETHER!

LOL! Jk. It doesn't really matter, anyhoo. The point is, they all have similar faces. lol! And besides, it's freaking Die Rise. Who cares about Die Rise? 

3 hours ago, NaBrZHunter said:

I'll agree, it is closer; however, they still don't have wings. But they do wield the staffs. 

GRRRRRR! JUST AGREE WITH ME! THEY COME THROUGH AETHER!

LOL! Jk. It doesn't really matter, anyhoo. The point is, they all have similar faces. lol! And besides, it's freaking Die Rise. Who cares about Die Rise? 

You've doomed us. Die Rise will now become the most pivotal map to the story, what have you done?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Schrödinger said:

The Vril-Ya have traveled the universe and they are being established on several planets such as Mars, they were able to evolved to look like something else.

I read somewhere that they were not all nice.

Yeah, I was reading up on that earlier. Peaceful until they aren't, it would seem. Until they need more living space. 

@Nightmare Voyager LOL! That will be the day zombies actually makes me cry. 

6 minutes ago, NaBrZHunter said:

Yeah, I was reading up on that earlier. Peaceful until they aren't, it would seem. Until they need more living space. 

@Nightmare Voyager LOL! That will be the day zombies actually makes me cry. 

Where are you reading that? Says it nowhere in Power of the Coming Race