The new CoDZ policy on leaked content

Times have changed and so have we!

How times have changed. A once strict policy that was respected by many on CoDZ has been adapted. The well known 'No Leaks' rule that was the epitome of this great forum is now no longer the condition it once was. This is not because we do not care... it's because we do care. We care enough about this forum not to lock it away from the outside world any longer.

So what does this mean exactly?

It means that people who are affiliated with Activision are now being used as marketing tools. Yep, these channels or individuals are now being taken in by Activision, Treyarch and other studios with the purpose of giving them exclusive intel that they can then reveal to the world without reprimand. Even long-term members of this community like Liam and Milo have became faces for PR campaigns or at the very least are given exclusive content that they are able to discuss or show ia their own platforms.

When it gets to the point where these well known affiliates are openly discussing intel with the general public then we are too. If some of this content is considered spoilers then we would prefer that the poster has the courtesy to use the spoiler tab function but we will not force them to do so if the content is already widely known outside of this community.

So what is considered OK and not OK?

This one should be a relatively straight forward point but there is a few examples like 'The Giant' intro leak that does creep over the line into sensitive information and we feel it is best to give examples of what we are OK with and what is not allowed.

This is OK!

Well known Youtuber and affiliate of Activision, Syndicate exclusively discussing and revealing the trailer for Shadows of Evil (after presenting the Comic-Con event). The trailer obviously is laden in spoilers for the map that would ruin the many surprises that are on offer but it's a trailer, it's official and you have the choice not to click on it.

TmarTN’s video above leaked details about the hidden game-mode Extinction in Call of Duty: Ghosts before any official announcement was made which was later picked up and covered by CharlieINTEL and Co. This was obviously very sensitive information but wait... this is TmarTN!? This guy literally is on the Activision payroll and after 2 years this video is still up? I think we can agree this video is a marketing push to hype the mode so this is considered OK!

http://charlieintel.com/2013/10/05/ghosts-extinction-mode-is-a-round-based-alien-horde-mode-like-zombies-with-4-players/

This is not OK!

4c1ea8c4a31352b1e3da88110a10d6a0.png?133

black-ops-2-zombie-leak.jpg

WWFkN2RhVy1DcXMx_o_black-ops-2-leaked-zo

The above images are examples of things we will not allow, for 2 reasons. The first being that images like this can be considered sensitive information if real and would not be something we would allow to be posted or discussed unless they have already been done so by an affilate or officially elsewhere. The second reason is due to the fact that the 3 image I chose all happened to be fake images which is why it is not even worth entertaining these kind of things unless we have confirmation as all we would be doing is encouraging the 'trolls' who make this kind of garbage to use our platform to feed their appetite.

Too sensitive?

COBbGnVWEAAdw9L.png

Holy sh... is that the zombie loading screen!?! Surely this is sensitive information and should not be shown to the general public? I mean... spoiler much? Yes, I suppose it is but if this information can be shown and discussed by an affiliate then it's allowed. This is the type of post we would appreciate people being considerate enough to use the spoiler tab feature with.

http://charlieintel.com/2015/09/05/black-ops-3-zombies-menu-leaks-from-gamestop-managers-conference/

In Conclusion

Times have changed. Activision and Treyarch no longer want to keep all their cards close to their chest anymore and are willing to show their hand if it means they win. They learned how much hype a little PR can bring and with that leaks became marketing. The game-mode is no longer a secret you unlocked after completing a campaign... it's an institute that is keeping a tired franchise afloat and with that comes a major wave of "leaks" and "spoilers" that are getting fed to the community by the people who make it. The 'no leaks' policy that has long been a hallmark of CoDZ is gone. We will still respect the developers and publishers and act accordingly when we feel someone is discussing or showing something they would prefer people not see or know but if it is something that people who are tethered to Activision are openly discussing then so are we. This is just the way things are now and although this may not be a popular decision with some, it is a decision that has been made nonetheless and we hope you can all embrace and accept it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically if it's been discussed by an affiliate or publically released by activision  it's ok? 

Also, THANK YOU. 

Exactly.

Feel free to report any and all threads, posts, and otherwise content that you may feel counts under a leak.  There are some serious gray areas, and we can't be too sure about anything really.  Just make sure to use the "report" button, we are really trying to deter threads being derailed by the constant topic of what is allowed vs. isn't.

That's why we made this informational thread, because we haven't had an official stance in a long time.

Also, henceforth (and this is just me) but I will only be using the word "leak" for true "leaks".  All content that is purposely revealed/sanctioned by Activision is a form of what is known as "drip marketing", and should be considered exactly that.

Basically - if you have a question about content: report it, or PM a staff... please don't post in the thread saying "this shouldn't be allowed, this is a leak".

Thanks for explaining and clarifying what the rules are. Just want to make it clear I wasn't being critical of the moderation of the site. This site is ridiculously well run, but I honestly didnt know when the spoiler tab was meant to be used and felt like I/ other users needed more info.