Next Gen Graphics Quality?

Is anyone else disappointed in the graphics shown thus far in gameplay clips (zomibes or multiplayer)?  

They just don't seem to be much more improved over last gen consoles.  To me the jump from WaW (360) to BO2 (One) is way bigger than BO2 (360) to BO3 (One). 

Here's 1080p (though 30fps) gameplay of BO3 multiplayer.  https://youtu.be/5ociYeI-cEE?t=44s

And while the one in game screenshot of Richtofen in The Giant looked good, the gameplay of Shadows of Evil didn't seem that much improved.

Maybe we'll just have to wait to see it in action on our own consoles/PC to judge, but so far I'm not impressed.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I think they look phenomenal for Call of Duty. The characters in it look realistic. For the first time we have seen a Richtofen who looks as realistic as we would probably get him.

I agree Richtofen looks great in the still screenshot they provided.  But we haven't seen Giant gameplay or that in motion yet.  Compared to the Shadows of Evil characters, Richtofen looks way better, which is puzzling that those 4 new characters don't look as good, and look more like BO2 quality.

I agree Richtofen looks great in the still screenshot they provided.  But we haven't seen Giant gameplay or that in motion yet.  Compared to the Shadows of Evil characters, Richtofen looks way better, which is puzzling that those 4 new characters don't look as good, and look more like BO2 quality.

Maybe it is linked to when the maps were made. The Giant could have been started after Shadows of Evil so it has better graphics for characters.

Maybe it's just because we only get the SoE crew for this one map, and we'll probably get the NO4 for several other maps, thus more time being put into making them look better and more time being put into SoE to make it play better instead of focusing on graphics. Plus there's still a noticeable improvement so it looks fine in my eyes. 

• Moderators

I am pretty sure the gamepay of the giant will look just like the gameplay of SoE.

Remember: That was just a pre rendered cutscene.

I doubt the gameplay will look as good.

That doesn't bother me at all though: I take smooth gameplay over graphics any day of my life.

I am pretty sure the gamepay of the giant will look just like the gameplay of SoE.

Remember: That was just a pre rendered cutscene.

I doubt the gameplay will look as good.

That doesn't bother me at all though: I take smooth gameplay over graphics any day of my life.

No we are talking about like a really small snippet of gameplay they showed where it showed what Nikolai and Richtofen looked like in game, not pre rendered.

Graphic do not make the game (unless it's a key point of the game like L.A. Noir or super mario 3D) 

I wouldn't care if they used freaking "Doom!" graphics!  (The original not the latest remake) 

-Story

-Gameplay

-Originality

These are the key factors to any game, not how well I can see certain characters faces. 

-Story is obvious why it's important. No story and you might as well bored the world to tears. Sometimes a story makes or  breaks a game. Like bioshock infinite: Great game, but not because of it's guns or location, but the amazing amount of detail went into the story. 

-Gameplay: This is incredibly important, as it ENTIRELY controls replayability. And as much as some may like  "Murdered Soul Suspect" it's gameplay makes it so playing the game has almost no point to be played again. Once you know the story, it loses it's touch. 

-Originality: This mainly applies to indie games, as when a major franchise does it (like super-paper-mario) it's considered to "pull away" from the main game. However an indie game like portal is brilliant because it's fresh, new and completely exotic to those who assume all First-person games with guns need moving human AI to be amazing. It's a real anchor, because once your series starts you've thrown it. You can't move it or you'll be hassled about it being too different. 

I totally agree that graphics don't make a game!  I only had a Gamecube that entire console generation, and still own and play a Wii and a Wii U.

But when you are talking about the most popular multi million dollar triple A FPS franchise, I would like it to be close graphically to other games on a console with an 8 year hardware upgrade over the last console.

If you are watching Xbox at Gamescon live now, you can see what I mean about graphics.  Graphics help set the mood and create environmental buy-in, which is really important in zombies for sure.

I am holding judgement though till we play it on the consoles, going from past experience of bullshots, beta trailers, and failed promises.  

The real test for me is playing a current game for a while, then going back and playing an older game to see how it feels. That's when I notice a real difference.  

Think it's the lighting. Bad lighting can really make things look like absolute shit. I've noticed that in other games, and looking at those zombie images, you can kinda see how they look a little shiny and fake. They don't look altogether bad in this case, though.

Richtofen and Nikolai do look really good, that may be because of the map's lighting being different, or they're just in a place where the lighting doesn't affect them too much.

Overall the game looks like shit. No surprise really since treyarch's CoDs have always looked laughably bad. Especially the MP / Zombies.

Thank god however the game maintains the same rich and vibrant color-palette that BO2 had; making the overall setpieces and characters look that much better.

Is it a dealbreaker? No.

But considering it's the "biggest entertainment franchise ever guys woah ;o" that Activision loves to throw around each time they mention CoD, you'd think they would put some of that earned money into making the game graphically look at least on the same level as their biggest competitor. 

• 3 months later...