I saw the shield in the trailer and I figured that it would probably be a build able. Did anyone else see anything else that could be a build able from the trailer? I was not a fan of the ones in the black ops 2 maps. They made it feel too task driven in my opinion and less about just running around and killing zombies.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, welcome to the forum! 

As for the shield, that was the only common buildable item that I noticed in that trailer... However, the different types of swords may be buildable just like the staves on Origins were... There may be up to four different sword types to build and upgrade so each player can have one, just like the staves were.

Buildables never really bothered me personally, and it looks like they're back in some form for Shadows of Evil. Highly doubt we'll see them in "The Giant", though! 

I'd love to see a build able in "The Giant" like maybe we build the flytrap or something! 

Likewise, I liked buildables in MOTD, Buried, and origins. It's easy to do, and you only got to do it once. Tranzit and die rise were not as smart with their tedious and unnecessary buildables. Never the less, I like the mystery of finding a piece when you first play and discover the maps. 

I'd love to see a build able in "The Giant" like maybe we build the flytrap or something! 

Likewise, I liked buildables in MOTD, Buried, and origins. It's easy to do, and you only got to do it once. Tranzit and die rise were not as smart with their tedious and unnecessary buildables. Never the less, I like the mystery of finding a piece when you first play and discover the maps. 

Very interesting idea with building the fly trap... Treyarch did say there will be a new, major quest Easter egg, so that may be part of it. Man, I cannot wait to play these two Zombies maps! 

I'm hoping buildables are gone for good but I'm still 99% sure they'll be back.

I detest them completely and find them ultimately annoying. Origins and MotD were way too objective based and not enough survival based. I'm hoping that aspect is toned down in BO3 but considering the campaign team is the head for zombies now I'm sure it will only get worse.

Honestly, I think everything outside of The Giant is going to be disappointing for me. The only map I truly loved and enjoy in BO2  is Nuketown because its not screaming at you 24/7 to do an easter egg. I also really hate how power worked in MotD and Origins. I feel thats one thing that should never have changed.

Edited by Vyhl

Well in a real zombie apocalypse we'd be stringing things like car doors together to build weapons. 

And while I do agree that I'd prefer easter eggs to be subtle, and that BO2's habit of forcing them down our throats was a bad idea, the power system in MOTD and origins was innovative and fun IMO. 

Also, the "Campaign team" is not taking over, only Jason Blundel has moved to head of zombie research and development. 

I guess if the buildables are better this time around and more useful that'd be nice.

I guess I hate them mostly because the nav cards and table idea was so poorly executed.

Well in a real zombie apocalypse we'd be stringing things like car doors together to build weapons. 

And while I do agree that I'd prefer easter eggs to be subtle, and that BO2's habit of forcing them down our throats was a bad idea, the power system in MOTD and origins was innovative and fun IMO. 

Also, the "Campaign team" is not taking over, only Jason Blundel has moved to head of zombie research and development. 

I didn't intend to sound like they were taking over persay, but this time around acitivision certainly put a lot more effort and time and help to the zombies part of of the game. 

I think at this point its safe to say that members, or even different parts of the campaign team has at least helped in the past (motd and origins) and has now been fully signed on to help with zombies all year round.

And considering Jimmy Z no longer works at treyarch and Blundell has replaced him. There's certainly a new direction zombies is going towards thats nothing like what we're used to getting.

I never really liked the buildables in BO2. I always found them way too OP, so I tried to stay away from them. 

In certain maps, they became the centre of the show, which made you under powered if you didn't use them. I didn't like defacto being forced to play a certain way. The rocket shield looks more OP, not less. Hopefully there is less emphasis on them going forward.

I detest them completely and find them ultimately annoying. Origins and MotD were way too objective based and not enough survival based. I'm hoping that aspect is toned down in BO3 but considering the campaign team is the head for zombies now I'm sure it will only get worse.

Honestly, I think everything outside of The Giant is going to be disappointing for me. The only map I truly loved and enjoy in BO2  is Nuketown because its not screaming at you 24/7 to do an easter egg. I also really hate how power worked in MotD and Origins. I feel thats one thing that should never have changed.

I feel the same. I thought that all the build ables and the complexity of the BO2 maps made it feel like a big scavenger hunt. The elevators on die rise were annoying. I felt like in BO 2 it took way too much time and effort to get set up. There were way too many steps. I like my maps to be simple.

I was just want to be able to hold all the buildable parts at once, why did they have to revert back to the original way in Buried -_-

I'm a fan of some buildables but not all. Anything Turbine related can get out. Shield should stay, Head Chopper was nice and not over powered, Trample Steam (or the maps themselves) needs tweaking so you can't glitch with it. I'm just fine with those 3 returning.

Honestly I think a major part of why TranZit and Die Rise are disliked is because of how the map basically requires the Turbine and Trample Steam. Buried sort of fixed this; the Turbines only use was literally for the Subsurface Resonator. Since you couldn't turn power off in Buried, there was no point building the turbine just for perks. And the Trample Steam wasn't required but helped you reach certain places. But it shouldn't at all.
I think if the Trample Steam is to work again, it should not get you shortcuts across gaps or whatever. Just purely used as trap for zombies or as a way to jump over the horde and escape.

Buildables sounded like a good idea, when Black Ops II first released. Immediately they became a pain in the @$$.

Being a solo player having to build these items every game (just to make the map playable), became very time consuming. Especially Origins (which happens to be my favorite BOII map).

We all know buildables are returning, wether we like it or not. My hopes for SoE & the DLC maps are as follows.

With the new integrated progression system, "That makes every play through a different experience." We will unlock certain buildables we can use in our journey.

As we level up our Character/Profile, the buildables get slightly enhanced. Until we get the Ultimate/PaPd version (That riot shield looked pretty upgraded).

Ohh & not to mention. We no longer have to spend an hour or two scouring the map for parts going to a table & putting them all together EVERY F*****G GAME.

I know this Is probably not going to be the case,& this is what I would like to see them do with Buildables, but in a perfect world...

I hate the time wasted to make the staffs in Origins.

Making the staves was not an issue really. Upgrading them was a pain in the ass.

To everyone else, Buildables and complex maps 4 lyfe. Not to be a dick or anything, but many of the first few BO maps felt nearly exact to one another. That does not make for good replayablity. At this point in time, we need more complexity to keep the gamemode alive, or that's how I look at it. Buildables help with that. And lets be real here, the only map you NEEDED buildables on was Tranzit. You don't need to do any of it to get set up on any other map. There's plenty of alternatives.

It shouldn't ever take an hour for someone to start to enjoy the map is the problem. If the buildables weren't so scattered, and you were able to hold all the parts at one time, it wouldn't be such a problem. 

It's OP (buildables) vs. UP (no buildables). It's not very much fun to basically complete the entire EE every signle game, and needing to do it if you want to play anything other than solo.

I liked Origins style much better, with being able to hold all the parts, but it was too in your face with the staffs, punch, and beacons. Let the buildables be optional, not necessary. 

It shouldn't ever take an hour for someone to start to enjoy the map is the problem. If the buildables weren't so scattered, and you were able to hold all the parts at one time, it wouldn't be such a problem. 

It's OP (buildables) vs. UP (no buildables). It's not very much fun to basically complete the entire EE every signle game, and needing to do it if you want to play anything other than solo.

I liked Origins style much better, with being able to hold all the parts, but it was too in your face with the staffs, punch, and beacons. Let the buildables be optional, not necessary. 

Okay, here's the thing: They never really were necessary. Most of them were actually pretty useless, too. As far as getting set up goes, the good ones never took that look to find the parts for and build. You're REALLY exaggerating things.

In tranzit, the turbine was all in one room. Pretty much the same with the shield, the most worthwhile buildables.

In Die Rise, okay, I'll admit, the trample steam was a pain to put together. Sliquifier was meh, but the parts were near each other.

in MOTD, relatively near each other, AND you could pick em all up at once.

in Buried, it was just a pain to sort em all out, but none of em were really necessary to build. Regardless, it hardly takes an hour when you know what you're doing.

In Origins, you had the 2 buildables and the staves. You don't really need to get all the staves, and the other two aren't difficult to find parts for.

I just find it funny how you say this stuff is necessary. None of it is necessary, except the turbine in tranzit really. You can play in whatever way you so choose. You don't HAVE to build everything. You do not need to get the one inch punch and stuff like that. With that said I agree that there shouldn't be as much locked down in the easter egg (and that the EE shouldn't be so in your face). It's just, don't act like you have to have everything to survive. You don't.

Okay, here's the thing: They never really were necessary. Most of them were actually pretty useless, too. As far as getting set up goes, the good ones never took that look to find the parts for and build. You're REALLY exaggerating things.

In tranzit, the turbine was all in one room. Pretty much the same with the shield, the most worthwhile buildables.

In Die Rise, okay, I'll admit, the trample steam was a pain to put together. Sliquifier was meh, but the parts were near each other.

in Buried, it was just a pain to sort em all out, but none of em were really necessary to build. Regardless, it hardly takes an hour when you know what you're doing.

In Origins, you had the 2 buildables and the staves. You don't really need to get all the staves, and the other two aren't difficult to find parts for.

I just find it funny how you say this stuff is necessary. None of it is necessary, except the turbine in tranzit really. You can play in whatever way you so choose. You don't HAVE to build everything. You do not need to get the one inch punch and stuff like that. With that said I agree that there shouldn't be as much locked down in the easter egg (and that the EE shouldn't be so in your face). It's just, don't act like you have to have everything to survive. You don't.

Honestly if you want to get far in zombies that is it's main goal you do kinda need the wonder weapons and you need to upgrade them. In Black Ops II imo it just took way too much time to set everything up before you could actually "play".

Honestly if you want to get far in zombies that is it's main goal you do kinda need the wonder weapons and you need to upgrade them. In Black Ops II imo it just took way too much time to set everything up before you could actually "play".

Then lets go through em again

Tranzit- Doesn't have a good one

Die Rise- Parts are in the same room

MOTD- Box gun, or optional from the EE

Buried- Box gun

Origins- This is the only one I'll give you. Building the staves themselves isn't necessarily an issue (and you don't really need to get em all to upgrade them), but the upgrading is a pain in the ass.

IMO, the set up is actually the best part of the game, because it isn't just running around in circles killing zombies. It's building yourself up. There are some cases where it gets tiresome, though. In particular, Buried. It's basically just waiting for the booze to spawn to keep going forwards. Everything else, though? Fun. I think some people forget that they can keep going through rounds while doing some of the objectives. Risky? Maybe, but it's more fun than running around in circles all day.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but i don't think im going to be disappointed by SoE or anything else for that matter.  Zombies has evolved over the years and i'm learning to adjust to what the majority of folks have asked for even if its not what i personally prefer.  That said i really do not like the idea of buildables.  I like buyables, and the random box for weapons and what not.  But the community as a whole seem to really like the buildables so i expect them to return in BO3

It's not necessary in a solo game to build the staffs, in fact I prefer not to so I don't have to complete the whole EE to get the walls back up. 

But in any non solo Origins game, not building the staffs is not an option. It's the literal first thing anyone ever says when they enter the lobby, "I call the ___ staff". 

In MOTD, it's again a good system with being able to hold all the parts. Then you get into the retriever, and eventually the Redeemer. 

It's not the old way where you hit the box, get some luck and you have the best weapons. There is all the extra steps in BO2, that aren't hard, just tedious. 

Spork, 2nd Blunder, AcidGat, Sliquifier, Jet Gun, Punch, Strike Beacons, Staffs. Hell even the Tranzit Galvaknuckles took a part to get too, which just adds to the point that setting up in BO2 just took way too long. 

It would be alright if the best weapons were box weapons, and the best melee weapons were wall buys, and if you want the shield, tramp, etc go and build it as a side objective.

But choosing between getting the best weapon, or saving time, is not much of a choice. It's OP vs. UP.

It's not necessary in a solo game to build the staffs, in fact I prefer not to so I don't have to complete the whole EE to get the walls back up. 

But in any non solo Origins game, not building the staffs is not an option. It's the literal first thing anyone ever says when they enter the lobby, "I call the ___ staff". 

In MOTD, it's again a good system with being able to hold all the parts. Then you get into the retriever, and eventually the Redeemer. 

It's not the old way where you hit the box, get some luck and you have the best weapons. There is all the extra steps in BO2, that aren't hard, just tedious. 

Spork, 2nd Blunder, AcidGat, Sliquifier, Jet Gun, Punch, Strike Beacons, Staffs. Hell even the Tranzit Galvaknuckles took a part to get too, which just adds to the point that setting up in BO2 just took way too long. 

It would be alright if the best weapons were box weapons, and the best melee weapons were wall buys, and if you want the shield, tramp, etc go and build it as a side objective.

But choosing between getting the best weapon, or saving time, is not much of a choice. It's OP vs. UP.

the calling of the staffs pre-game makes my blood boil.  I hate hate hate it so much.  I love the map, but all my co-op games with randoms start off with me in a shit mood because of all the pre-game arguing over who gets what staff.  IT DOESNT MATTER YOU IDIOTS! lol!! :Tears of Joy:

but basically @BestOfAllTime32 i agree with everything you said in that post.  Spot on!

Edited by the_clay_bird

Oh man I know tell me about it. I'd prefer not to use the staffs at all, personally. I don't need them, but if we're going to take 40 minutes for someone to build a staff anyways, I might as well do the same. 

Every game plays out the same in Origins. Somebody who has no idea how to use a staff properly gets it, and dies with it.

Zombies with randoms can be summed up by Bon Jovi's Wanted.