The Mi Go and the Outer Gods :: Critical Information for Shadows of Evil

As of the current situation, the connection between Lovecraftian horror and Shadows of Evil cannot be denied. However, though many are familiar to the pop culture icon that legendary creatures like the great Cthulhu and the Deep Ones of Innsmouth, several other lesser known races have fallen by the wayside in the public eye. Chief among those being the ancient evil Nyarlathotep. It was my original intent to create a much more detailed and elegant follow up to help paint this very complex and living world that I absolutely love and have come to adopt as my own. Lovecraft has always been my favorite author, and I have been absolutely fixated with him ever since I read The Lurking Fear in the sixth grade. As per usual however, it seems obvious to me that large and important Youtube gaming sensations are far too eager to jump in with inside information and appear as the messiah of gaming theories. God, I hate them so very very much.

So, as things go, I’m going to forsake the usual go around where I attempt to create an atmosphere with the inclusion of images and just lay the cards down on the table for all to see. I can’t possibly know EXACTLY what is going to happen in Shadows of the Evil, but as someone who knows their Lovecraft by heart I’m willing to bet I am one of the forward authorities on this web forum. First of all, given what I have seen in comparison to what we have experienced in Mob of the Dead it’s unlikely that we will be facing Cthulhu as our major enemy. If we are, then in my opinion Treyarch would have failed catastrophically in both researching and understand the world that they have granted themselves access to. Though Cthulhu does pose a massive threat to humanity, he’s but a drop in a sea of insanity that threatens our way of life. More than likely, we’ll be facing the incursion of the much more powerful outer god Nylarlathotep for reasons that will follow.

I'm bound to omit quite a bit of knowledge due to time constraints, but here is what I believe is most critical to know.

nyarlathotep_by_corwin_cross-d5gv67e.jpg

First of all, Nylarlathotep is the original avatar of chaos and evil in the universe. He has taken many shapes in the existence of humanity, from an Egyptian pharaoh to AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART an a shadowy figure known as the Black Man in areas of Massachusetts. In other words, we have our Shadow Man.The Black Man is frequently used as a substituted for Satan, tempting mortals with the knowledge of the ancients through used of the Necronomicon. Yes, the very same Necronomicon in the Evil Dead that granted massive amounts of esoteric knowledge and began to raise the dead. In all likelihood, the Necronomicon is the very same book we see in the trailer for Shadows of Evil, with all of the supposedly satanic paraphernalia.

Now comes the matter of Nylarlathotep’s major servants, the Mi Go. The Mi Go are a race of celestial fungus from the planet Yoggoth, and are a flying multi-dimensional creature that appear to us in the form of… Well, this. 

d159d5a523dac258a277ad44a200bc9e.jpg 

Look familiar at all? I should hope so. The Mi Go are a hyper advanced race, typically moving from one planet to the next like galactic locus spreading chaos and evil in the name of their god as they fiddle around with all manners of electronic weaponry. Normally, humans are so low on the evolutionary chain that they are just barely paid any notice by these creatures at all. However, the human mind has one critical advantage over the Mi Go that they can never hope to attain; the ability to make irrational decisions based on guessing and heuristics. The Mi Go brain operates entirely on a system of logic rather than perception, with nearly every outcome of an event being run through a series of algorithms that the Mi Go can replicate with impunity. However in a purely algorithmic though process one must assumed that all information critical to the situation is available before a decision can be made. A human’s ability to make judgement calls, to them, is tantamount to psychic ability.

Therefore, the Mi Go began a rather long and lengthy process of invading cities in the middle of the night so they could scoop out there brains of a test subject, study the human brain, and reanimate their corpse. These abductions were more scientific than they were destructive, with the exception of a series of unchecked experiments in London that would be remembered by history as the acts of an assumed serial kill nicknamed Jack the Ripper.

From here on out, things only get more insane. I can keep talking about the Mi Go and fascinating aspects of Nyarlathotep, but every moment I delay is another moment some English bastard may come forward and claim responsibility and knowledge of all that I hope to very rapidly discus. (Hint: He’s not Alpha Snake or Milo.) While the works of H. P. Lovecraft mostly end here as far as I am concerned (with the rather massive exception of several books and gods closely associated with Hollow Earth and the Elder Things) and more recent works begin. Instead, I find it far more important to address the works of another incredibly influential member of the Lovecraft Mythos, Delta Green.

61FJYQTXXNL.jpg

Where to even begin with Delta Green without robbing you of critical information… Well to keep it short, Delta Green is a modern adaptation that is set to take place in the years between the 1930s and the 1990s. Essentially, the OSS and eventually the CIA has created two task forces pivotal in the defense of America from the supernatural; Delta Green and Majestic 12. Delta Green began life as a rapid mobilization task force after a high profile raid on Deep Ones in Innsmouth before moving on in World War II to combat the Nazi Thule and Vril Societies. Majestic 12, meanwhile, was tasked with studying the paranormal and using it to advance the cause of the US Government.

The two factions had a rather large falling out, culminating in all Delta Green operatives becoming disavowed when they attempted to start a war with a race of Grey Aliens rather than working with Majestic 12 to secure an alliance between the two species. What Majestic 12 could never have known of course is that they were being played by the Grey Aliens the whole time.

The Greys (and if you aren’t familiar with Grey aliens then either change forums or initiate a Google search, they’re kind of important as far as CoDz and element 115 are concerned) where really just a puppet race engineered by the Mi Go to ensure that human testing could continue at a faster rate, unhindered by the American government in exchange for advanced alien technology and weapons. The simple fact is that the Mi Go could sense that the time of their god and the rising of Cthulhu was soon to be upon the Earth, and they needed to complete human experimentation as quickly as possible before the world fell into everlasting madness and the human race was made extinct.

I’m sure barely any of this was retained by you, reader, but you have to understand that I am under a MASSIVE amount of stress to push this out as quickly as possible. I only beg that you forgive me, and do some research of your own to verify my claims. The knowledge is out there, and the lore is long since written.

The eyes of the Outer Gods are upon us all now....

Good Luck,

F

Edited by Faust
  • Brains 2

This is really great and I hope you are right. I love Lovecraft too, and the idea of bringing the mythos into the Zombies mythos is pretty cool.

One thing though - where do you get your info on the Mi-Go's lack of ability to guess or make irrational decisions, and their connection to Jack the Ripper. I don't remember that from the Lovecraft tales though its been a while since I read a lot of them. Is it a later Mythos author? Only asking because if it is I'd like to check out their stuff! (Haven't read a lot of the non-Lovecraft Mythos stuff, mainly just a bit of Brian Lumley and Ramsey Campbell, oh and Neil Gaiman if his stuff counts). 

Personally I would love to see Satan returning from MOTD, and if he does it in the form of the Crawling Chaos, even better. 

Oh and after checking out the Mi-Go on Wikipedia I spotted one other clue that you might be thinking along the right lines - the Mi-Go's small wings are useless on Earth, because they are designed to carry the species through the "Aether" of outer space, apparently...

Edited by PaulOfTheDead
  • 4 years later...
  • Moderators

Great thread, brains! I heavily recommend this to anyone interested in the Apothicans. I find it interesting that the Mi Go originate from Fungus, as we see that growing in all dark, humid corners of Morg City.

Furthermore, I found this in Wikipedia: "The Mi-Go can transport humans from Earth to Pluto (and beyond) and back again by removing the subject's living brain and placing it into a "brain cylinder", which can be attached to external devices to allow it to see, hear, and speak."