Possible Origin of the Monsters and Shadow Man

As you may all know, those monsters shown in the newest trailer kinda showed up all of a sudden without any real context behind. While I wasn't really looking forward to the monster, it's just probably another special round. It does suck that everyone thinks that the monster will "ruin" Black Ops Zombies by turning it into Extinction, but if you dig a little deeper, they make total sense for them to be there, as well as for the sudden Shadow Man intrusion.

In short, the monsters come from Agartha itself (or the Aether, kinda rusty on my zombie knowledge). The reason for me to think this is that the Shadow Man seems like an entity who neither wants to help the SoE people nor to harm them. He just wants to go back to the way it was before; the way before ALL of the events in the zombie storyline happened. What I'm trying to say here is that The Shadow Man is Mictlantecuhtli, Hades, etc you name it... it all leads to the same entity we all know: The Devil. All he wants to do is take over the Aether once again as its rightful owner.

He is the original announcer, and we see him in Mob of the Dead, the map that has a complex story that stands on its own, seemingly unrelated to the events happening during BO2. This takes place before Samantha arrives, because it's setting up his "job" as the announcer. It's just for the player to know the Devil does exist and it's doing his job in this universe, so this map can be justified. This map had the main theme of punishment throughout the whole story, where those four prisoners had to atone for the sins they committed while they were alive. This is purgatory, and the Devil is doing its job of punishing sinners until the end of times. Of course, the EE happened and the cycle of endless torment was broken somehow. I believe that with this act of "defilement," The Shadow Man can work out a plan where he is able to come back to power using his will-be "army of sinners." 

The story in Shadows of Evil would originally be like MotD, where sinners are suffering over and over again, this time would our new characters. Since this purgatory had already been created prior to Samantha taking over, they are still intact and therefore Shadow Man still reigns over a small part of the Aether, although Sam takes control of the zombies this time. We have never seen the Aether or even Agartha in any map before, so what lies inside is still up to our imagination. One thing is for sure, though, the Aether controls Agartha to a certain extent. It doesn't matter where the monsters exactly come from, but we know the Shadow Man can bring them from their realm to mess around in his small part of purgatory (a la Cerberus in MotD). With this he has one goal in mind: break the cycle yet again, but manipulating the victims into helping him. The monsters are only something that will speed up the process of breaking the cycle since it's something that is clearly not in the original purgatory loop, and it's the only thing he can control other than the zombies.

Now if you take a look at the monsters, you can see tentacles everywhere, multiple heads, mouths, etc. Surely you don't find these monsters familiar, but what if I refresh your memory by mentioning the name H.P. Lovecraft. He's the guy behind the Cthulhu mythos, and there's this Elder God that's been mentioned before: Nyarlathotep. In the story he is described as a creature who can shapeshift into anything, and he is also shown to be a young gentleman who goes around the world causing bad things to happen. There's also this old belief from the 1900s where people believed the Devil had a mustache and wore a top hat. If you combine those two legends you get a creature that was born before time, whose existence is said to be the most evil in the universe, walking around Chicago with a top hat, which is right up our alley with the Aether and the original announcer's current situation. He's downright manipulating people with their past sins into helping him, possibly promising their freedom and a pardon. If all goes as planned, these four guys will break the cycle and go to the new world after Buried or mess around in the new timeline Origins and The Giant are creating, and somehow help him go back to his old days of peace and torturing people. Possibly he has tried contacting the O4 before (like in Kino) but he just couldn't completely interfere with Samantha since she has control over reality, but here, he can mess with the reality he himself has created. 

And thus, this is all a big game to Shadow Man to get back his old job. I think it really fits within the theme of MotD and the announcer's intentions It's been fun trying to come up with a theory after all this time, but I really should go back and review some of the old stuff to piece the story back together and be ready this November. If there's anything that I'm missing please bring it up, or just correct me if I'm wrong. I'm hoping to see theories like this posted everyday like back in the old days, since I kind of miss all that speculation in BO1. Hopefully The Giant will start closing the loop of this large, complex storyline we have all followed since a long time ago. 

TL;DR   monsters are from agartha, shadow man is the devil aka original announcer trying to correct all the damage we have done to an extent

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the monsters are Vril-Ya creatures indeed from Agarhta that were released when Nazis opened gate to it trough Aether. You can see in the new trailer how they have to sacrifice a person to them just like we did in MotD and CotD maps. And their pyramid worked on souls. 

See, in MOTD, the first map set in the afterlife, I feel pretty confident that the map consisted of a hell designed by a sort of 1500s catholic beliefs of hell with a lot of influence from Dante's Inferno. 

I think the same thing is happening here, only with a different religion, like that of which worships Cuthuhlu or perhaps a voodoo deity. Look around the map, there's plenty of evidence, of it being similar to MOTD, like the skulls which for some reason have tentacles now. 

It looks like an evolution of the Nova Crawlers, they seemed to have been evolving through the games. Nova- Phaser- Telecrawler- Hydra? It also looks like something you would think to see straight out of a Lovecraftian book.