PS4 gets dlc first?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently, there's been more and more evidence pointing to the fact that Playstation has the DLC first. Sony have no first-party titles for this Christmas, with Uncharted having being pushed back to 2016. Sony have said they are focusing more on third-party support at E3 this year, to make up for that.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-admits-ps4-first-party-lineup-this-year-is-a-/1100-6427614/

When going to https://www.callofduty.com/blackops3, scrolling to the bottom of the page gives you the option to pre-order Black Ops 3, with the default option being Playstation 4. Down the page there's information about the beta, with an FAQ. The FAQ's featured mention the platforms' the game is available on, and shows Playstation 4 as the first platfrom.

Finally, there's this: http://charlieintel.com/2015/05/30/rumor-mountain-dew-game-fuel-promotion-to-return-for-call-of-duty-black-ops-3/.

You LITERALLY just posted the same thing twice... 

Also, PS users arn't crippled or have been treated unfairly at all the way it seems to be thought of. They made the choice to pick a PS over and Xbox, with that there are rewards, and consequences. To unbalance that with a game as big as COD:BO3, WOULD create a large amount of anger from the Xbox community. 

PS and PC users CHOSE to get the DLC late when they got the PS or PC version. Xbox users chose to sacrifice their own specialities to get DLC early. 

Now the game we waited for is coming out and people want to just now bend the tides? How is that fair to the millions that have already bought a next/current-gen console? '

Besides, what are we worried about? If treyarch listened to what people wanted we'd have WAW 2 now wouldn't we? :lol:  

You made a choice to get an Xbox before the dlc info was released. If you miss out, that's kind of your own fault in every sense of the word.  I'm sure Activision would rather piss off the couple million Xbox owners that would buy COD, rather than the possible 8 or so on PS (if it's current gen only, let's all hope). 

It makes all the sense in the world to switch, and I think you guys severely overestimate the amount of people who actually bought an XB1 with COD in mind. Contributing factor sure, essential factor not so much. 

The only people who will be mad, are those who aassumed, and the people who are part of the competitive community, who will now be forced to buy a ps4. Few thousand people, if that.

Edit: Again though it all comes down to the money. If there is more money to be made by mak8ng the switch, they will, if not then they won't. I just think you guys way over estimate the amount of people who really care, and it's only a big deal for the first dlc anyways.

Not true.  I purchased my xbox one in late november '14 after Ghosts and AW already had the early DLC deal.  Now the main reason i bought xbox one is that my friends i play with most are xbox guys, but a huge perk is that we like zombies and like getting the DLC as early as possible, so this would be a bit of a slap in the face to the xbox people who made a purchasing decision based on COD DLC (which many did i'm sure)

HOWEVER.  This comes down to one thing and one thing only.   MONEY$$$$$$$$$

The only way that Playstation gets early dlc deal, is if Sony ponies up a bigger check than Microsoft.  Activision doesn't benefit from the Xbox deal because of how many copies of the game are sold for xbox, or how many xbox's have been sold compared to playstations, or any of the other arguments that have been made. Activision benefits because of the humongous check Microsoft writes them in exchange for the deal.  

So we can argue all about which console is selling better and blah blah blah, but money makes the world go 'round, and that's no different in this case 

Edited by the_clay_bird

Okay, so, this is really starting to get on my nerves. It seems that people will see one little thing and jump to conclusions, thinking that each and every little thing that connects Sony to BO3 means that PS4 will get the DLC first. So, I'm going to try to debunk all of this.

Reason 1: "Sony has sold more PS4s than Microsoft has sold Ones. This means they'd make more money selling DLC first on PS4."

Yes, this is true. The PS4 has definitely outsold the Xbox One.  There is no doubt whatsoever about it. However, everyone knew this last year, when the gap between PS4 and Xbox One sales was larger than it currently is. Despite this, though, Activision still made a deal with Microsoft for Advanced Warfare. It doesn't come down to how many consoles have been sold; what matters is the fact that Microsoft currently has much, much more money than Sony. This rumour has been around since Ghosts was announced and the hype train for the PS4 was at full force. It means nothing. If anything, Microsoft has more money to spend on an exclusivity contract like this.

Reason 2: "YouTubers and members of the media played on PS4s at the announcement event."

Simple reason for this one. PS4s are easier to develop for than Xbox Ones. We know this, hell, I'd be shocked if anyone did not. We also know that getting the Xbox One's framerate and resolution down to 60fps/1080p is also quite a challenge for some developers. Hell, we also know that Treyarch was/is having troubles with getting the game's framerate to be stable. So, with this in mind, why would it make sense to showcase their latest and greatest game on hardware that is currently giving them troubles? Why have people play their game on a console in which the game is still having stability issues with? As it stands right now, their PS4 version of the game is more stable, and that is the only reason they had the YouTubers play on PS4s.

Reason 3: "Sony has been more active in promoting Black Ops 3 than they have for AW."

This is just silly. The Black Ops series has sold many, many copies on PS3. It isn't ludicrous to think that they'd be pretty eager to promote this game. Also, they released trailers for Ghosts. Honestly, this one has very little basis behind it since, well, Microsoft is also promoting the game. Oh, Sony uploaded the reveal trailer sooner than Microsoft did? That's circumstantial at best. Maybe MS was having technical issues. Maybe Sony was just quicker to the draw. Honestly, if Sony had the contract, wouldn't they have showed off a bit more in the trailer? ie. their logo, "Footage was captured on a PS4.", etc.

Reason 4: "The Mountain Dew promotion states that they're partnering with PS4 all year round for promotions."

They're only stating this because their current promotion is for a PS4 exclusive game. I'm pretty sure Sony wouldn't like them to advertise Microsoft in any way during a promotion for one of their games.

Reason 5: "Amazon has a listing for the Season Pass only on Sony consoles."

Correct. For now, at least. This literally means nothing, since you can already buy the Season Pass on the console of choice itself. Amazon has zero affiliation with either company. All this means is that Sony is much more willing to sell digital content via Amazon.

I hope you all read this and at least take a second look at what all this "evidence" that has been gathered actually means.

Edited by Flammenwerfer

Thank you for that knowledge bomb @Flammenwerfer

And actually I checked yesterday afternoon and the season pass pre-order is available for PC as well on amazon, so that theory even further doesn't hold any water.

Also one of the pieces of "evidence" were that it defaults to PS4 when you go to buy BO3 on callofduty.com.  Well this is true if you are a registered user of callofduty.com and have a PSN linked to your account, but if you have an XBOX gamertag linked then it defaults to Xbox lol.  no coincidence that all the ones looking for arguments in favor of it coming to PS4 first are people who own PS4's :P

Like i've said earlier in the thread it all comes down to money, and While the Playstation is doing really really well, that part of Sony's business is about the only one having success.  Microsoft has much more money to spend than Sony could ever dream of at this current point in time.  So it will come down to basically Microsoft deciding whether or not to continue the DLC exclusivity deal, and if not, then if Sony wants to spend the money to make a deal of their own.  From a dollars and cents standpoint, I don't see how Sony could outbid Microsoft if Microsoft wants to keep the early access

Edited by the_clay_bird

MS has more money than Sony, Xbox may not have more money than PS. Xbox has lost billions of dollars over its life, and there is constantly rumours MS may sell the Xbox. Befor3 anybody responds with the CEO said they're not interested in selling, of course he denied it. He isn't going to come out and say it to the public, and kill the market.

We all full well believe it comes down to the money. So if Sony offers 100 million for marketing/dlc, and we go with 2:1 sales ps:xb, then I assume MS would have to come in significantly higher, possibly double. 

As for Acti going with MS for Ghosts and AW, there was rumour that happened before the consoles launched. A multi year renewal of their contract, 2 years is multiple years. All of the pubs were on the Xbox train before this gen started, because the original XB1 vision would have killed the used game market, and made them more money. Most obvious of this was EA, who is now in bed with Sony.

Lastly, on this point, the Xbox is a money loser, the Playstation a money maker for their respective companies. Other than insurance, Sony don't have very many bright spots atm as a company. Even if the XB were to turn a profit, it would be miniscule for the company, where as Sony has every reason to prop up the PS division because it is a big part of their company. 

Reason 2 is strange. ActiBlizz is a multi billion dollar entity. Why have them play on a console at all, when they could just as easily brute force amazing performance of their game on a pc with a controller. Sli a couple of titan X's, throw it on 1440p, 120fps, and call it a day. 

Reason 3, 4, and 5 are dumb. 

I didn't know Amazon had the ability to sell XB digital content, but they have been selling PS stuff for a long time now. A mountain dew add that was leaked, that is currently promoting a Sony game means nothing. 

As for Sony being active marketing BO3, where? They have a magazine article for it, as they did the original BO, and they uploaded a youtube video or two... that is not what I consider to be advertising. 

This whole thing is kind of dumb. We will find out in a couple weeks.

I definitely shouldn't have used the word evidence there. I'm not sure what I was thinking and the Charlie Intel article even said rumor, so I don't know what I was thinking there saying evidence.

About pre-ordering, it shows PS4 if you're logged out of your account, compared to AW's site which shows Xbox One as the default option.

Yes, I do own a PS4 and I'm sorry if I came across as some sort of fanboy, but my intentions were to show possible reasons why Sony may have early DLC exclusivity.

I definitely shouldn't have used the word evidence there. I'm not sure what I was thinking and the Charlie Intel article even said rumor, so I don't know what I was thinking there saying evidence.

About pre-ordering, it shows PS4 if you're logged out of your account, compared to AW's site which shows Xbox One as the default option.

Yes, I do own a PS4 and I'm sorry if I came across as some sort of fanboy, but my intentions were to show possible reasons why Sony may have early DLC exclusivity.

​No, I was not logged in to my account, and it defaulted to xbox.  

just tried again, followed a link posted in comments on charlieintel, www.callofduty.com/blackops3/buy

i wasn't logged in, and it shows me xbox one version

like we've said earlier, this just doesn't hold any water as far as any rumors of evidences toward exclusivity

Edited by the_clay_bird

​I was logged out of mine and it still showed PS4.

​right so it means nothing basically 

Like I said I went onto Advanced Warfare's page and it showed Xbox One.

​And I went onto Black Ops 3's page and it showed Xbox One.  It isn't significant because it is not the same from person to person

​And I went onto Black Ops 3's page and it showed Xbox One.  It isn't significant because it is not the same from person to person

​Alright, fair enough.

Maybe this is a sign DLC will be released early on both? I hope so! 

20ee5b9bc46d6e475215b652d7a8e550.png

No but seriously its been proven that its just a browser thing.

Xbox may not have more money than PS. Xbox has lost billions of dollars over its life, and there is constantly rumours MS may sell the Xbox.

Lastly, on this point, the Xbox is a money loser, the Playstation a money maker for their respective companies. Other than insurance, Sony don't have very many bright spots atm as a company. Even if the XB were to turn a profit, it would be miniscule for the company, where as Sony has every reason to prop up the PS division because it is a big part of their company.

​Not true.

While Playstation sells indeed better than the Xbox, MS isn't losing money from the Xbox.
In fact, the PS4 is pretty much the only thing keeping Sony afloat at the moment. Sony is - and has been for the past few years - in big financial trouble, so if it came down to who offers the most amount of cash there's no doubt Microsoft will win against Sony.

First off, there is no real way to know if XB1 is losing MS money or not, as they bury XB in with the Android, and all other consumer devices division like the surface. All we have to do is a little common reasoning to get to MS losing money off the XB.

The b.o.m breakdown of the two consoles showed MS spent more money to make the XB1, without the kinnect, than Sony did the PS4. You couple in the 50 dollars cheaper, and often a game or more bundle, it's not hard to imagine them losing money on the console, certainly last year during BF when they sold with 2 games + a 50 dollar gift card they were losing a lot of money. The retailer didn't, and would never take the hit for that, it was all MS.

As for PS being a big part of Sony it is indeed. Other than insurance,  and other financial investments, Sony is not a profitable company. On the other hand, they are righting the ship selling off things like the PC business, and SOE that do not make them money. 

@​mocking, i would love to see preorder numbers to back that up. If you are using aspecific site like Gamestop, or amazon, that is arabking, and not anumer, and therefre could be seperated by 10000000 units, or 3. It's very useless to any discussion. Not to mention any specific site would have bias to it that we would have to qualify. 

For example COD.com, would carry with it the bias that XB has traditionally been associated with COD, so the preorder numbers would have to account for a larger sample of XB owners being more likely to buy from COD site directly. 

Gamestop would be a more nuetral comparison than say walmart for example. XB is cheaper, therefore the people who would be most interested in a consol3 would be more likely to buy a game/system from walmart that is cheaper. 

First off, there is no real way to know if XB1 is losing MS money or not, as they bury XB in with the Android, and all other consumer devices division like the surface. All we have to do is a little common reasoning to get to MS losing money off the XB.

The b.o.m breakdown of the two consoles showed MS spent more money to make the XB1, without the kinnect, than Sony did the PS4. You couple in the 50 dollars cheaper, and often a game or more bundle, it's not hard to imagine them losing money on the console, certainly last year during BF when they sold with 2 games + a 50 dollar gift card they were losing a lot of money. The retailer didn't, and would never take the hit for that, it was all MS.

As for PS being a big part of Sony it is indeed. Other than insurance,  and other financial investments, Sony is not a profitable company. On the other hand, they are righting the ship selling off things like the PC business, and SOE that do not make them money. 

@​mocking, i would love to see preorder numbers to back that up. If you are using aspecific site like Gamestop, or amazon, that is arabking, and not anumer, and therefre could be seperated by 10000000 units, or 3. It's very useless to any discussion. Not to mention any specific site would have bias to it that we would have to qualify. 

For example COD.com, would carry with it the bias that XB has traditionally been associated with COD, so the preorder numbers would have to account for a larger sample of XB owners being more likely to buy from COD site directly. 

Gamestop would be a more nuetral comparison than say walmart for example. XB is cheaper, therefore the people who would be most interested in a consol3 would be more likely to buy a game/system from walmart that is cheaper. 

Http://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid=8292/xbox-one-black-ops-3-preorders-outpacing-ps4-in-the-us.html

Happy? 

Im sorry, but as a pricing analyst, I am certain that the margins that Microsoft are making, even at a $300 price point, are positive, and most likely still a high percentage.  Just saying that MS is losing money on the Xbox doesn't make it so.  Microsoft has gotten to be one of the largest most profitable companies ever for a reason, and selling things at a negative margin is not one of those reasons lol

This whole topic is kind of ridiculous. Play Station people say this kind of thing with every new cod. There is no proof at all. None whatsoever. Everything that anyone has said here that could even be slightly the truth has either been shot down or has been disproved with previous games. Until we literally get a confirmation from anyone, there is no proof. People can say what they like and ignore whatever real facts they want to but no matter what you guys say, the only proof that what this topic is trying to prove is going to be when they announce something.