• Rift Architects (Mix)
    • Wizards Guild (Mix)
    • Portal Forgers (Mix)
    • The lost 935 scientists (Mix)
    • 115 Alchemists (Mix)
    • The Mad Mappers (PINNAZ)
    • Engineers (Mocking)

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey guys, we will be fairly shortly bringing out a new user group.

It will be used for the custom map makers who contribute to our site, and also happen to make custom maps.

Just after some name suggestions -

@Flammenwefer suggested 'Architects' which is pretty awesome in itself, just seeing what else might be out there.

Chopper

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Stop mocking me0 - just custom map makers.

However, I have been speaking to a few of these guys and an idea popped into my head.

We have a lot of concepts on the site, and more and more custom map makers coming here.  I'm going to see if I can get a group of them to agree to make a community designed map.

That map would likely come from a concept, and there would be some polls run to see what the community wants.

That's a very high level idea for now, and is just that, an idea.  But there are some possibilities.

Well I mean if you want an initial concept to be made im sure me, mocking, black hand smith and meh could help with that? 

I mean so we can craft the concepts together

Edited by Nightmare Voyager

That's a good idea to make it mate.

Remember though, it's not a definite yet, there's a lot to sort out behind the scenes with this and I don't want to end up disappointing people if we can't get it sorted out.

However, a map concept worked out by our site as whole is a great idea in itself, whether it can be made is a whole other thing....for now :)

Love the name. Good job @Flammenwerfer

As you know Chopper I think this is a great idea. It will definitely be something a mapper would appreciate. I also like the idea of a community contributed map. So many of us have ideas for maps, and to see everyone chip in with ideas for location, era, style, weapon sets, wonder weapons, bosses, buildables etc. Could be very cool indeed.

Hopefully we can generate proper interest in this one. Great stuff.

"Architect" is pretty straight forward, I'd just go with that as the name. Got a color in mind as well? I would recommend Orange given that's usually associated with construction, however that's already in use...

Great idea BTW guys.

Edit: Not to start a whole "lets change all the other usergroups while we're at it" debate, but given orange is associated with new members and is only temporary, might I suggest we swap the New Members group color to a grey, then leave orange to this new usergroup instead?

FROM THE CREATORS THAT BROUGHT YOU:

LEGACY OF THE DAMNED

ALPHA-OMEGA

UNITY

DUNES

FORGE

DYSTOPIA

THE INTERACTIVE MAP SERIES

DEAD OPS ARCADE 2: NECROMANCERS REVENGE

COMES THE GREATEST TALE OF HORROR THE WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN.

THE DEAD WILL WALK THE EARTH.....AGAIN.....

COMING EVENTUALLY TO A FORUM NEAR YOU...

I lost it when I saw that. XD.

Also, if you dont have colours in mind I am going to post what it would look like with colours so other members can see if thats okay? I can also add on to it but this is just for if it hasnt been decided yet and so that people can see what it would be like.

Architect (Suggested by I tell a lie it was Black Hand Smith lol)   Architect (Suggested by me)

Architect (Suggested by Black Hand Smith)    Architect (Suggested by Undead)

Edited by Nightmare Voyager
  • Administrators

My only question: If there's to be a usergroup for custom mappers, why not make one for the guys that do map ideas/concepts (like me)? o3o

We do, it's white and it's called member.

Just pulling your chain of course. Could you explain why this would be given recognition over other contributions by members (i.e. theorists, story tellers, strategists)? Serious question, not patronizing what you do, just looking for insight.

In my head I'm imagine the custom map makers and what they do, they're basically forging their own pockets within the Rift (or alternate realities) each time they release a new map,

Like out of the whole COD zombies community these guys are the mad scientist, the wizards, the architects of space/time within the group. What these guys do is so epic and incomprehensible to the average gamer. And I think it would be fun & cool to recognize them as such.  So here's a few loose ideas I have based around that idea.

'Rift Weavers' or 'Rift Architects'

'The Wizards Guild'

'Portal Forgers'

'The Lost 935 Scientists'

'115 Alchemists'

I'll discuss the awarding of a medal to recognized concept makers.

They aren't too different from strategists or theorists which both have medals.  The theorist and strategist medals are staff awarded for a good reason, no real reason concept makers should be so different.

@Boom is free to add his opinion and response to yourself, but I will be taking this up with the staff.

I will add a personal opinion - generally asking for things which directly lead to your personal gain is never the best look.  Be that people asking or complaining about not getting UOTM, people requesting special user groups.

I had already brought this up with staff before I even made this thread, and we had discussed the awarding of a medal.

Customs was done quicker for a reason, which I have no inclination of explaining tbh.

This is not a pop at you @The Meh at all, so please don't take it that way.

It's not the first time I've mentioned stuff like this, and I'm certain it won't be the last.

Something that is bothering me, and I'm sure other staff and probably users is the somewhat demanding nature and tone of how things are being worded.

I suggest you reread what you said mate and think about how it may come across to others.

There will definitely not be a usergroup for concepts, strategists or theorists,  There probably should be a medal, but definitely not a group.

There is a vast different between someone making a map, and someone talking about concepts for one.  I don't think I need to explain why there's a difference, as I'm sure you can see for yourself.

I see what you are saying mate, and you may have a point in how it can be conveyed differently.

3 years ago when BO was in it's hype strategy exploded on this site.  And theory has always been the backbone of the site.

The only additional powers they gain, are medals for both and that took a lot of requests and persuading the staff at the time that they were relevant.

If we were to add concepts, we would have to add those groups too.

I have a strategy medal awarded to myself by the staff back then.

I've always felt that that was enough.

To be honest we may need to reword some of the explanations in the medals request thread.

Dahniska is incredibly worthy of a strategist medal for sure, on the other hand he only wrote guides for BO2 zombies, but I also guess that's because he didn't really like high rounds on BO1.  There are many others possibly worthy for it, but it has to be a staff decision on those.

For instance, DBZ doesn't start many strategy threads but he puts in very helpful stuff on an awful lot of different ones.  How does that fit and should it be awarded.

I need to discuss with staff ways of people nominating others for medals, as I don't believe it's appropriate for public debate.

For instance if someone is nominated who we then don't award, I don't think that would be fair on the nominee or the nominator.

I really need to think some more on the concept stuff tbh.  With all due respect strategy and theory are a massive part of the site, and help the absolute majority of members out.

Concepts are a much more niche area for now.  Strategy was that way for a long time, and took a good 6 months and tons and tons of work by a huge number of members to get to where it is.

Please believe me when I say we will take this into consideration, and as I mentioned I personally err on the side of having a concept medal.

For the reasons I listed above, are the reasons why I don't believe there should be actual groups.

I understand your sad face to that effect, but I also hope you see why we made and why other staff made the choices they did when choosing those medals.

You don't need to apologise to me mate, and if I took your post the wrong way then I do truly apologise for that.

Back on this topic itself - we choose architects to make it fairly clear as to what it is.  But I love some of @MixMasterNut suggestions, so I'm going to put a poll up.

As Chopper said previously, CoDz is/was primarily a theorist site to discuss the story but has also adapted into a strategy/gameplay site. There is no real point making every member either a "Theorist" user group or a "Strategist" user group. Same goes for a "Map Concept" user group. There is absolutely no pros nor cons to being in one or the other. You are still a member of CoDz.

If you really want to be in a usergroup, simply try & donate a few dollars. You help out this site which you are highly active on & your name can be blue. That is the only upside to being in a different usergroup. And a highly respected one.

But in the other hand, I can see the validity in possibly having an medal. You get a medal for writing 3 stories, why not 3 map concepts? No harm in that & it would also be something individual & rare.

On the topic of this topic. What is the purpose in creating a "Custom Mapper Usergroup"? What revelance does it have & purpose does it serve?

My only question: If there's to be a usergroup for custom mappers, why not make one for the guys that do map ideas/concepts (like me)? o3o

We do, it's white and it's called member.

Just pulling your chain of course. Could you explain why this would be given recognition over other contributions by members (i.e. theorists, story tellers, strategists)? Serious question, not patronizing what you do, just looking for insight.

im sorry The Meh, but i don't think that map concepts are worthy of any special recognition.  I know you and some others spend a lot of time on such things, but its nothing more than ideas. 

@PINNAZ - that's a good question mate and is kinda hard to answer right now.

Basically, CODZ has begun relationships with certain mappers that will be beneficial to both us and them.

I can't get too into it but I'm sure once it all comes out, in the next month or so you guys will see the relevance.

There's a mass of stuff going on behind the scenes with this and it's just a way we are trying to improve the site as a whole, and give some actual real recognition to what these guys are doing.

These guys do some very special stuff, and as staff we believe that that should be made abundantly clear. 

Concepts are just ideas......

Until treyarch or sledgehammer or infinity wars begins putting stuff into theor modes eerily similar to concepts

Queen spider mite--> The Breeder

Mind control Bracers--> Exo suits

The Leviathan--> The Kraken

The Equalizer --> EM1 Quantum.

Underground map calls Eden which is BURIED and explains te ORIGINS of the MPD --> suddenly a map called Buried and origins happen

Why would we get a usergroup for it? You dont specifically have to make a map concept, wanting recognition is a bad thing. Just make them for fun and so that actual map makers can get inspiration.

Why would we get a usergroup for it? You dont specifically have to make a map concept, wanting recognition is a bad thing. Just make them for fun and so that actual map makers can get inspiration.

Yeah I agree. Like, you shouldn't care that your user group is white or blue or brown. I see meh as an Architect even if he isn't brown. I see everyone that focuses on Concepts as architects really.

It's the same as asking to get more comments on your posts or asking for more brains or other equivalents of promotions. You don't ask, you just do it. As long as people are reading your posts and they know you specialize in a certain area then that's pretty good recognition.