Buried: Easter Egg Theory

The theory I have created today regards the Buried easter egg. I will try to explain what the Wisp is, if the characters die and if we can tell who resumes control in the end. Okay, the first two important things I want to say about this theory are this: 

1.) I believe that when Samantha or Richtofen are in the Aether, they only have control over a certain number of zombies. Even though they can change the eye colour, zombies will just try to eat people like regular zombies unless they are being controlled to just kill like we see in game.

2.) While Aether gives much power to those in control of the undead, it does not give them the power to control all zombies or make them appear when they want. Agartha is key to getting over this but can only be accessed by those in the Aether already. Richtofen enters the Aether via the events of Moon, he realises that he still does not have ultimate power and with the old group not willing to do anything for him anymore he finds a new group to aid him. Maxis shot himself near the MPD. Doing this meant his soul was somehow still connected to our realm, from the Aether through the use of technology. Why this is the case is unknown.

In Buried, Maxis says that in your quest you need: "...you may need help from a soul already bound to this realm. Though they failed to complete the task, the others left... clues for those who followed." Now this means that there were survivors in Buried before who tried to help either Richtofen or Maxis get to Agartha. They failed but left clues. But what if their was more than that? "Maxis calls it a wisp. Its really just a ball of life force, imprisoned in this place for all eternity! It is probably best not to develop what it really is. It will make you so sad..."- Richtofen. With this quote, I think I have more evidence backing up what the wisp is. If you do Maxis' side, he tells you the wisp is from previous survivors but because you don't go to see your corpses, they dont piece together what the wisp is. Where as in Richtofens side he barely alludes to what it is as it would make them "sad" but they in no way know it is any kind of survivors souls.

The time loop in our story means that players can die at many points but once the loop resets they will survive and may be able to undo where they died before. A good example of this is Die Rise’s intro cutscene as Russman along with the others come back from death. In this cutscene as well Russman is seemingly eaten. Then when Richtofen says “Accept fate, begin anew!” this could be a hint that he gave up controlling the undead and let the players die due to failing, hence why the Minion was able to eat Russman in a normal zombies round. 

Back on topic. In Mob of the Dead. Arlington leaves himself hints telling him how to survive and build the plane. In Buried, our group could have seen that they were not long left in their world and also left hints for themselves. Then when they died their souls collected together to form the Wisp. The Wisp survives the loop, possibly due to an aetheric connection or the fact it is technically an anomaly and could be representing such, it then appears in front of a random sign and you must make it go to the guillotine. It goes to a random sign each time due to it technically not being the same Wisp and being created after any death of the group in a past loop. Once at the guillotine (done from a Richtofen Easter Egg perspective due to what it entails but that is not meant to prove that his ending is canon) it will wait there. This is because the players in the past loop have actually gotten to that step and know that the Wisp must be there as they had also seen it from a past loop before theirs and so on due to the loops nature. 
ee687ad6dd889e748837b4a431f46893.png

The important thing about the Wisp, is that it is the souls of the players. Richtofen quotes: "Okay Samuel, I don't want you to get upset or worried, but it seems that somewhere along the way, we accidentally tore a teensy weensy hole in the fabric of time and space. Just detonate a Time Bomb near the Guillotine, and everything will be hunkey-dorey." which tells us that there is a hole in the fabric of time which I think the Wisp caused due to it existing in a loop that it wasn't created in. When all players detonate the time bomb, something interesting happens. The guillotine is a way for the time bomb and the wisp to be linked. This means that the time bomb can actually sync up the timelines and send the players to the timeline the Wisp came from. This timeline is the one where we see our characters dead. We search them and find a lever showing they may have even completed the quest and got either Richtofen or Maxis in control. They died with the lever seemingly at some point but what is interesting is that it is round infinity. Also everything is black and white. If you know of the movie ‘Memento’ black and white is used to show events from the past due to the movie not being in a linear order. The fact that we are in black and white in infinity mode interests me a lot as it could be in reference to Memento. We are in black and white because we are in a different loop where the characters died. Eventually though a controller managed to gain access to Agartha. By doing this they were able to control all zombies not only a handful and make them almost impossible to kill by making their strength and amount… infinite. 

Now this theory still has ground to cover. Who came into control in the end? I believe this is not important and that infinite mode is an example of a way to portray a number of things. It shows that somebody eventually regains control but since there are no eye colours to distinguish we do not know. Also, the black and white screen indicates we are not in the same time as we once were, whether it is the past or future. Finally, this screen simply can relate to Memento and indicate we are not in the same timeframe as before. 
d7d64b680befa71b69a40e9acb68d3e2.png

In conclusion, the new four have to die to complete the tasks Maxis or Richtofen have set for them. So they do die at the end of Buried, but at the same time they may still have a story to tell to how they get out of Buried. But who wins? The answer at this time is not available but what we do know is that whoever wins gets immense power beyond that of even the Aether, they get the power of Agartha. Maybe in the canon no Easter Egg is completed, Sam could end up resuming control and even get to Agartha in the next chapter of Zombies. Or that ancient evil could finally be making its way to us. For now though I think that this theory is very plausible. Especially as it explains the Wisp, the need for the time bomb in the Easter Egg and at least begins to explain the future of the characters. Tell me what you think though, what else could their be to Buried? Is there some secrets in the Easter Egg we do not know yet? Also, should I try to explain others maps Easter Eggs as I have many ideas for the endings of the likes of Ascension and Die Rise?

If this theory belongs in the Buried section, can it be moved there please?
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only reason that the infinite stage is Black & White is so that it makes it harder to find the dead 4. If it was in colour then they would be easy to spot.

I do think you could be onto something with the wisp though. Richtofen has a quote about "making them very sad" regarding the wisp. Can't remember the entire quote but it is the one Richtofen says right before the wisp step.

Hm, I am going to go look for that quote now Zen, I only remembered the maxis quote. Yeah black and white could be to hide the players but, I think that it could be something used to do multiple things in one section of the Easter Egg, which one of them could be the lever. thanks Smith btw!

Edit: "Maxis calls it a wisp. Its really just a ball of life force, imprisoned in this place for all eternity! It is probably best not to develop what it really is. It will make you so sad..." With this quote, I think I have more evidence backing up what the wisp is. If you do Maxis' side, he tells you the wisp is from previous survivors but because you don't go to see your corpses, they dont piece together what the wisp is. Where as in Richtofens side he barely alludes to what it is as it would make them "sad" but they in no way know it is any kind of survivors souls. Thanks DBZ, really adds to my theory! I'll be sure to update the OP.

Thanks! I had this theory for a long time and just kept it to myself, I really am surprised that its getting received this well. I may ending putting my thoughts on other maps EEs as well then.

Lol voyager you must work for Treyarch. I like your theories, they're well thought out. If there's one thing I love more than chopping up a train it's a good story. I read a lot of this zombie lore and don't normally post much but I'm glad you do. Keeper up.

Wow thanks dude, means a lot to me that you posted. I don't work for Treyarch ;) but I try my best to look into the story.