The old days of zombies

Anyone else miss the old days of zombies, like W@W and Black Ops? I remember staying up all night on the black ops forums doing easter eggs, trying to find the non existent secrets of Kino, discussing what was gonna come next, stuff like that. To me, black ops 2 doesn't really give me that nostalgia, there was something special about Black Ops and W@W, especially Black Ops imo, idk if it was all the teasers (GKnova6, burger man, wind of change, ect.) or if it was just the Nam/WW2 era. Do you guys and gals think 3arc will ever be able to re capture that feeling? Maybe it's the absence of the O4, but something was off about black ops 2, and I really hope they can make zombies what it used to be back in the day.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, absence makes the heart grow fonder.  But no, I feel you on that, BO1 was the best! Probably my fav game ever.  BO2 just didn't have the same flavor. IMO it was because they tried to do too much with it. I mean Tranzit was a disaster. Nuketown was honestly my fav BO2 map, and that might be because it has an old-school feel to it. We all miss the O4.

I think there's a good possibility for the O4 to come back.  I think Origins was a good sign of that.  If the devs truly care about what their their fans want, then this needs to happen.   It's not just me or you that wants these characters back; Everyone wants them back.  I also miss playing a game that has historical roots. I don't think I need another WW2 game just yet, but I would prefer it over something sci-fi/futuristic.

BTW, I revisited NML today and it was awesome!

- Mix

Yeah Black Ops was last old school CoD. After it all CoD games have been rather medicore and DLC plans have become more agressive. I still have hope that Treyarch would now abandon the futuristic nonsense theme and go back to more historical approach.

As for Zombies, I hated BO II maps. With Black Ops and World at War the game was about zombies. With Black Ops II it was about Easter Eggs. Only decent map was Die Rise. MotD had good atmosphere but the map was way too easy. I think in my 4th or 5th Co-Op game with randoms I got to round 30+.

The hectic gameplay of my first games of World at War: Zombies is what drew my into the game, but having a game intwinded with a historical conspiracy story is what made me addicted.

Tranzit had the makings of continuing the World War 2, Space Race & nuclear age theme. But Die Rise (Great Leap Forward) threw that theme out the window & for the rest of the Black Ops 2 DLC nothing seemed to connect.

Story wise, they need to use the past formula's, but gameplay wise I think that Black Ops 2 pushed the Zombies game mode boundaries.

They need to include a lot of small, well hidden Easter Eggs. Something that all connect if you look hard enough. None of this mediocre "the same TV plays the hidden audio transmissions".

I had a lot of faith at this time in 2012 & is slowly dwindled. I really don't want to hype this next game too much, as I'm getting to old for another 3 year cycle.

World at War was strictly creepy and thick in story. 

Black ops one started strictly creepy and got to quite goofy, but it was still creepy AND it maintained a thick story. 

Black ops 2 started goofy, re-created the phrase "Deus Ex Machina" and didn't get anymore serious, or even creepy, it also maintained a paper thin story. It focused TOO much on gameplay (or in this case filling the map with pointless BS we never use) and not enough on story. 

The ideal game is one that is both goofy, creepy, fun, and has a thick storyline. 

Another thing it should have is a wide range of map difficulty. Like have the base map easy, but then make the maps that fallow harder and harder to the point where the final map actually has a point where if you enter one area you can't escape and the only way out is to kill yourself. 

Black ops one started strictly creepy and got to quite goofy, but it was still creepy AND it maintained a thick story. 

Black ops 2 started goofy, re-created the phrase "Deus Ex Machina" and didn't get anymore serious, or even creepy, it also maintained a paper thin story. It focused TOO much on gameplay (or in this case filling the map with pointless BS we never use) and not enough on story. 

The ideal game is one that is both goofy, creepy, fun, and has a thick storyline. 

Another thing it should have is a wide range of map difficulty. Like have the base map easy, but then make the maps that fallow harder and harder to the point where the final map actually has a point where if you enter one area you can't escape and the only way out is to kill yourself. 

Black Ops 2 didnt even use Deus Ex Machina's they were that bad

If I had a nickel everytime I revisited the glory days of Zombies and CoD, I'd be a millionaire by now. 

Was it just me? Or were you guys just as easily entertained by the ragdoll physics the zombies had in WaW? Throw a grenade near a zombie as it fell to its death and BOOM.... bodies everywhere.

Uhm i just like crawling down the stairs in DR head deep in zombie limbs. WaW was amazing, from campaign, to mp, to zombies. Campaign was even dark and evil feeling. Even if they did make a WaW 2 they NEED to capture that same feeling In campaign or it would ruin the game as a whole to me. Zombies would still kick ass obv, but that campaign made the game for me.

I DO remember playing Shangri La for about 15 hours the day it came out till Niik, Aciid and whoever our 4th was solved the EE.

still cant believe we were first in world to finish it lol

• Administrators

Throw something with World at War's dark sense of urgency and dread, mix Black Ops's rich historical context with conspiracies and puzzling dark connections, and sprinkle just a bit of Black Ops 2's gameplay ingenuity with equipment, and voila - you have the ultimate Zombies experience.

But seriously, the old days of Black Ops make my heart sadden. I remember staying up late during summer nights after work to crush zeds while blasting some Staind on my radio. Nothing ever beats going for the 40's on Moon or completing Easter Eggs for hours on end just for the excitement.

Jesus christ a fresh face comes in talking about nostalgia and then you drop that 3 man Legend Combo Wombo.

People kinda glorify things just for being nostalgic. Not saying I don't miss the good ol' days, nor am I suggesting that they weren't better than Bo2, but modern CoD games are far from the disastrous pile of filth some of you claim them to be. I mean I did just yesterday spend an hour typing out a rant on this site about how BO2 maps are structurally absurd. But come on now. I largely agree with @PINNAZ and @InfestLithium . Now that they've got WaW, BO, and BO2 under their belt, Treyarch can pick and choose what elements from each they should carry over to the next game, allowing for the best experience possible. BO was basically just WaW 1.5, like the same game but with more stuff. BO2 mixed up the formula, and wasn't exactly successful in some ways. I always say it was Fundamentals, then Innovation, then Experimentation. Now that we got it out of the way, we can make a good product. We got stuff to work with.

Black Ops 2 didnt even use Deus Ex Machina's they were that bad

"Alright guys we need something to : 

-keep players from entering the fog

- Allow access to these levels but still let perks be equally available

- We need some kind of way to get players back to spawn...

-We need something to truly intimidate players...

I've got it! 

-Annoying denizens.

- Perks in Elevators 

-Hole in the ground under the fountain. 

-Panzer soldats! 

-Perks in elevators

Someone needs to make a survival map that:

1. Is relatively small.

2. Has all the perks

3. Allows for all 9 perks.

4. Makes it so it doesn't spawn random perks (Shi no numa, Die rise, Nuketown)

5. Has pack-a-punch.

6. NO FIRE ALL OVER THE PLACE.

**Bonus**

Has a good area for training.

This would be easy to get to 50+.

I remember shortly before Shi No Numa released in 2009, I found a thread on a forum linking to a post on Xbox.com, where someone named "Carbonfibah" had posted a thread discussing numbers on the wall in Verruckt, and how they were bible verses, and he was writing about his ideas behind the drawings and messages on various walls. I was extremely intrigued, and immediately went on Verruckt to begin doing some searching of my own.

I followed this "Carbonfibah" dude on something called Twitter, just a site I'd been using to follow "tweets" about WaW MP. I also found some people named Telixion and Vosty3, making their own videos (A camera pointing at his TV) about their finds and ideas about Verruckt. As it turned out, a few weeks later this guy Carbonfibah tweeted a link to a site he was starting for people to talk about zombies, on a free forum that was extremely basic at the time. I signed up, and the rest was history.

What I miss most about the "old days" was the ability for us to take any idea we had, and seriously consider it. Now, there are too many existing theories and storylines that seem to contradict 'new' theories, and it makes it very hard to freely think as we once did. This site is leaps and bounds above what I ever thought it'd become, however I do reflect upon the "old days" with alot of nostalgia of all the hours I spent. And, of course the distinctive horror/macabre themes of WaW are sorely missed.

What I miss most about the "old days" was the ability for us to take any idea we had, and seriously consider it. Now, there are too many existing theories and storylines that seem to contradict 'new' theories, and it makes it very hard to freely think as we once did. This site is leaps and bounds above what I ever thought it'd become, however I do reflect upon the "old days" with alot of nostalgia of all the hours I spent. 

Head on. 

What I miss most about the "old days" was the ability for us to take any idea we had, and seriously consider it. Now, there are too many existing theories and storylines that seem to contradict 'new' theories, and it makes it very hard to freely think as we once did. This site is leaps and bounds above what I ever thought it'd become, however I do reflect upon the "old days" with alot of nostalgia of all the hours I spent. 

Head on. 

Apply directly to the forehead. 

• Moderators

I miss the good old days of zombies not freezing my console and not getting massive frame drops when I shoot at more than 5 zombies for longer than a second.

That was the case with BO2.

This single handedly destroyed my hopes for ever reaching the same fun level I had with BO1.

The fact that the story was not even close to being a bit interesting and the maps just being poor for the most part didn't really help either.

I just hope Treyarch redeem themselves. (In the zombie department)

All things considered I think BOII had a good campaign and a great MP, but man... zombies just was not my cup of tea that time around.