Todays Downtime

Hells Warrrior

• Tech Admin

Sorry folk's, I've tried to minimise this as much as possible over the year, unfortunately today could have been avoided.

Basically routine maintenance on the database was performed (repairing and optimizing tables with overhead) - when processing the posts table the table crashed. Due to the amount of posts and my limited time throughout today, we only came back an hour ago but had to wait til I got home.

Sorry folk's, routine maintenance caused the problem, shouldn't happen again.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

@Boom, that sounds like my personal nightmare :o

Yep we've come a long way as a site. Definitely important to remember that this site doesn't just magically run itself. It takes a lot of time dedication from all staff (especially HW)(Not so much Eye and Jolty :P ). Definitely thankful for the awesome group I get to work with!

• Tech Admin

The thing is, it should run itself - it shouldn't need "much" back end stuff to be done. Occassionally running cleanup tools on the database, optimization code where and when possible and keeping things upto date and so forth. Downtime should really be a thing that has been put the kerb but occassionally gremlins occur and today was a gremlin in a routine procedure, We would have been back a hell of a lot quicker

However, as I was at work and in meetings throughout the day, I had to ask the host to repair the table via shell (command line).

If I had the time today, I would have fixed it straight after it had occurred but sods law.

• 1 month later...