Style of Gameplay (Map design)

I'm wondering what everybody favourite style of gameplay is in the zombies series?

There are a lot of different styled maps throughout zombies. Starting with Naacht-right through to Outbreak. I myself do prefer the run and gun style proposed in Mob of the Dead, but I don't believe it would be the same without cherry, acid gat, shield, etc. But I also liked the open feel that maps like shi no numa brought. The swamp was a direct influence on why I enjoyed origins so much. Origins by design was nostalgic. The mud reminded me of the swamp from Shi No Numa, and the laboratory/industrial 20th century feel gave me an atmospheric vibe reminiscent of Ascension. They added new features, some of which overwhelmed the lack of difficulty in the map, but the staves added a mystical/imaginary impossibility like that of Sega, or SNES games used to bring to me. 

I believe the intensity, length, and interaction in the storyline development has been deemed vital by consensus in the community. So therefore, the question I'm posing to the community is what has everyone's favourite style of gameplay inhibited by map design been? and what factors in the environment of the map allowed for this style of gameplay?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I like Der Riese when I want an easier more chilled out game, but still having tense moments. I play Buried when I really want to chill out, not focus, tlak and have fun with people as I believe it is an easy to do map. Ascension is one of my favorites due to the challenge and that there is a lot to do, I really like playing in the way I play Ascension. That is the same for Origins, as I like playing and surviving while at the same time having objectives, that are not boring and give me separate things.

Personally, I like a map with LOADS to do, but not make any of it tedious.  Sure a few things can be tedious, but as a whole, I don't want to have to cross an entire town to find some wires to build the worst weapon ever to take down maybe 15 zombies. I'd much rather uncover a secret code that tells the location of a weapon that runs on amo. 

COTD was/is my favourite map, so whatever style that is I guess.

I like fast paced gameplay, with not a ton to set up. Just give me my weapon and let me kill zombies.

COTD also had George, if you were looking for something to do (get a perk). But mostly, it was killing zombies with little setup.

I also like MOTD. It's not tremendously tedious to get set up, although it is pretty easy, which COTD was not.

I would say my personal preference would be a map with objectives like Origins (fill the boxes, get airstrike, etc), a boss like George (constantly there), and a lot of weapon options.