Zombie Physiology

Electric Jesus

Hello all, I'm revisiting a topic I discussed a long time ago, taking some new evidence and realizations into account. I'm going to attempt to explain exactly how the bodies of zombies work.

I'll start once again with the five senses of zombies as a general base off of which to expand.

The mode Turned reveals that zombies have a so-called "Zombie-Vision" which allows them to track down humans. This explains their ability to locate a human regardless of their location on the map.

There is no way of knowing whether zombies have the ability to taste, although their desire to eat humans is a given. However they choose to simply kill instead of consuming the players in-game, yet this is most likely because of their controller making use of them as weapons to eliminate specific individuals, suppressing their instincts. However, zombies do specifically prefer human flesh over that of animals, as they simply walk past the pig in the "Five" labs. Again this may be because they are effectively in "kill mode," but they still disregard animal life completely to the extent that we are aware.

Zombies supposedly use smell as a means to track prey, which is why they are distracted by meat stink as well as zombie blood. Not only do they utilize their sense of smell but it almost seems heightened.

Zombies are known to be attracted to monkey bombs, supposedly because of the music that they play. Because of this it can be determined that hearing plays a role in their ability to locate prey.

Whether zombies can feel or not is unknown, as they continue attacking regardless of whether or not they are being shot at, set on fire, or disemboweled. They might feel pain but simply don't react to it, although animal instinct would typically cause an animal to flinch when hurt as a natural self preservation response. They most likely feel nothing.

However, there is one very important detail that is inconsistent with all of this. Zombies are capable of surviving for a short time without their heads. However, headless zombies are still able to locate the player, or follow a monkey bomb, or ignore the player during zombie blood, despite having no sense of sight, hearing, smell, or taste, as all are derived from sensory organs located on the head. This also begs the question "what kills zombies?" Of course decapitation eventually kills them, but how is the body able to continue moving? It can't be blood loss, as they lose an ungodly amount of blood by being shot repeatedly. We'll return to this later.

Anyway, on to specific bodily functions.

Zombies obviously utilize their respiratory system in order to produce their characteristic moan. However, we know that they don't depend on this system, as they can emerge from the water in Call of the Dead, as well as exist in the vacuum of space on Moon. This means that they do not require oxygen to survive.

Zombies may or may not have a functioning circulatory system. For one thing, they have a distinct heat signature when viewed through the infra-red scope of the upgraded Scavenger. However, they freeze solid in the water, which is not possible for someone putting out the human level of heat. A corpse containing stagnant fluid would though. However, players also freeze on that map, so this may just be a gameplay feature and not an actual accurate representation of the zombies' characteristics. Additionally blood can be seen when zombies are shot, but it doesn't flow constantly like a human gunshot wound. Some of this evidence is conflicting, so I can't be certain now.

As I said before, zombies don't rely on their brain to function. They do die after having it shot off, but not immediately. I believe some animals such as chickens can continue to move after decapitation, so it could just be similar to that, except that they continue whatever task they were performing pre-decapitation (such as killing humans.)

So what we have is effectively an organism whose systems continue to function, but don't work together to achieve any purpose. They can breathe, for literally no reason. They can bleed, for no goddamn reason. They can use their senses, but they don't have to. Very strange. Which brings us back to the question: What kills them?

Consider for a moment the massive amount of damage a human sustains from a gunshot wound. You can take a zombie and shoot it all over its chest and even in the head and it won't die (depending on the round.) Shooting them in the heart, lungs, liver, stomach, and brain in turn won't even slow them down. Even if a human didn't feel pain, a gunshot to any of those locations would at least put them in critical condition, and at most instantly kill them. Something that "lives," yet doesn't depend on any of those to survive, seems like it would in theory be invincible. So when you finally kill one after raining gunfire down onto it, what exactly is the cause of death?

Let me break off on a hiatus to mention one other thing about zombies, which is their relationship with electricity. EMP grenades immobilize them, and George's electricity powers them up, yet a DG-2 shot kills them. We know that 115 has electrical properties, which is most likely one of the reasons why the zombies exist in the first place. The 115-infected cells might act like pseudo-neurons allowing them to work together. Maybe in this manner their entire body acts like a giant brain, which is why they don't depend on their ACTUAL brain. I believe that small amounts of electricity stimulate their cellular function, but large doses simply kill the cells.

Anyway, my conclusion is that their 115-exposed cells all work together using their electrical properties "charging" the zombie. The zombie then dies after it loses enough cells that it no longer generates enough "charge" to continue functioning. This is also supported by the fact that zombies get more health as time goes on. The 115 cells are just producing more electricity. Losing them through gunshot wounds matters less later on because the other cells accommodate. EMP grenades don't kill them because they don't prevent the cells from producing charge, they just remove the electricity already generated. When you shoot off a zombie's head, this is the only time we see blood actively gushing from a wound. This kills them guaranteed because it makes them lose cells so rapidly.

Remember, this is science FICTION. It doesn't all have to be accurate. But we can still try to find out how the imaginary sciences work in an imaginary world.

I'm no scientist. Let me know if I messed up anything.

Special Zombies

Hellhounds are unique in a few ways. Firstly, the original Hellhound Fluffy was pregnant at its time of zombification, accounting for the vast number of Hounds in existence. No zombie has ever exhibited any desire or proof of their ability to perform any reproductive process. They also have the ability to teleport in flashes of electricity independent from any conventional means of teleportation. It is not known how this is accomplished. It is interesting to note behavioral changes in these animals. Obviously when a human is zombified, they lose their ability to speak and are regress to a predatory animalistic state. Even what was presumably a lovable domesticated dog becomes violent toward humans when infected with 115. Hellhounds are capable of surviving while on fire for an indefinite amount of time, unlike human zombies (depending on the map.) it isn't clear how this is possible, as 115-infected or not, animal cells should die on contact with fire. Presumably they track their prey in a similar manner to zombies, although we can't be sure as they cannot be decapitated and do not react to the presence of monkey bombs. It is possible that this is simply because they are more intelligent than human zombies. One thing to note is that it is possible that Fluffy never even died in the first place, and that she was simply infected with 115 while alive, resulting in a pseudo-zombified state. several special zombies share this trait, and a characteristic they all share in common is that it makes them more intelligent than typical zombies.

Nova Crawlers are simply human zombies whose DNA has been selectively mutated, as well as impregnated with the chemical agent Nova 6. They are specifically designed to be weaponized, whereas normal zombies were more of Maxis's "happy accident" Bob Ross creation. They have intentionally enlarged mouths, teeth, and claws, to make them more effective predators. They release a cloud of gas upon death, which is most likely an extremely diluted cloud of Nova 6, as we know that a single breath of a concentrated cloud of Nova gas can kill a human instantly.

Space monkeys are I believe another example of an animal that never died but whose cells became impregnated with 115 during their life. They exhibit intelligence, as seen by their more strategic manner of attempting to kill humans, by taking away their perks rather than by attacking directly. They have a strange ability to locate the perk machines regardless of their personal position on the map. They might just be familiar with the area, as they were experimented on in that facility. They have an strange relationship with Gersch devices, but I'll get to that later. They do possess the ability to slam the ground and produce a shockwave which can damage the player, however it is not specified how this is possible. This could actually just be a function of their space suit and not related to their physical abilities.

Gersch devices. I think I've realized how they work, and how it relates to monkeys. The Gersch device doesn't kill or attract living cells. That's why humans are able to use it as a teleporter without being harmed. That's also why monkeys are able to use it. Their cells may contain 115, but they never actually died, so they are still technically living. Alternately the zombies have actually fully died and come back, so they are ripped through the device because it attracts and destroys only undead cells.

George Romero is yet another instance of something that isn't dead but infected with 115 on a cellular level. He still has all of his memories, and he retains his fine motor skills, such as his ability to wield a weapon and walk upright. He also increases in size considerably, as the actual George Romero stands at an admittedly impressive 6'4", yet in-game he towers over the player by several feet easily. This is potentially the only instance in which exposure to 115 actually changed the size of the affected organism. One thing to note about Mister Romero is that he like the rest of the zombies on Call of the Dead can emerge from the water without breathing, signifying that he doesn't depend on oxygen to continue functioning. He is similar to other zombies in the sense that he doesn't require his bodily systems to function. However, unlike zombies, he continues to use them anyway in a somewhat sophisticated manner, which explains his ability to speak despite his lack of necessity for breathing at all. He also utilizes the electrical properties of 115 to his advantage, stimulating cellular activity in other zombies to increase their power, as well as to actively attempt to electrocute the player. He and the hellhounds both utilize this electricity for transportation, as he appears in a large ball of lightning. However he is the only known zombie who has weaponized It.

Shriekers and napalm zombies are pretty straightforward. Napalm zombies are simply covered in or filled with some form of propellant. The are able to burn infinitely without succumbing to the flame so it is most likely an inherent property of their bodies. It is revealed by Richtofen that their flammable nature is a result of a mutation, most likely of DNA. there isn't much to say on the matter as little else is said about them. Even less is known about shriekers. One might suspect them of not being truly undead due to their strange attack method. However, this is not the case, as they also attack by swinging wildly like any other zombie. They are likely just another bizarre mutation, altering the shape of their mouth / throat enabling them to inadvertently produce an ear-splitting sound.

The astronaut zombie is mysterious indeed. Their identity is unknown, yet it can be assumed that they are a human infected with 115. Their behavior is too sophisticated for them to simply be undead in a space suit. They are one of the zombies capable of utilizing 115 and its electrical properties for teleportation independent of teleporters. They have the ability to steal perks and teleport the player as well, although these are likely based in some sort of technology (pocket teleporters anyone?) and is irrelevant to their physical capabilities.

Denizens of the Fog are horribly mutated... things. It is not likely that they were originally human as they are far too small. However they don't resemble any type of animal native to Washington State USA, so they are very, Very horribly mutated. They have the ability to create teleporters, but that is potentially just because of the massive amount of 115 in the soil. It is likely that their senses are heightened, as they have the ability to sense a human's presence even when they are underground or In thick fog.

To be continued, and more detail to be added. busy busy.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

There is no way of knowing whether zombies have the ability to taste, although their desire to eat humans is a given. However they choose to simply kill instead of consuming the players in-game, yet this is most likely because of their controller making use of them as weapons to eliminate specific individuals, suppressing their instincts. However, zombies do specifically prefer human flesh over that of animals, as they simply walk past the pig in the "Five" labs. Again this may be because they are effectively in "kill mode," but they still disregard animal life completely to the extent that we are aware.

This is an interesting point that I had never really thought of before. I did a quick review of all of the cinematic cutscenes. In the MotD cutscene you see the zombies lunge teeth first at the inmates, but you never actually see them consume. In the Origins intro it open on the zombie seemingly feasting on human remains, but again it show no more than the zombie quickly snapping the head off and some blood dripping from its mouth. So even in instances where we are (and take this with a grain of salt) not in control there is no indication that the undead a driven by an endless hunger.

This is an interesting point that I had never really thought of before. I did a quick review of all of the cinematic cutscenes. In the MotD cutscene you see the zombies lunge teeth first at the inmates, but you never actually see them consume. In the Origins intro it open on the zombie seemingly feasting on human remains, but again it show no more than the zombie quickly snapping the head off and some blood dripping from its mouth. So even in instances where we are (and take this with a grain of salt) not in control there is no indication that the undead a driven by an endless hunger.

I don't know if you believe everything in the songs but in the One it seems to be from a zombies perspective, it describes smell and taste but the way it describes taste is like the zombies have a different perception to it than to us. I think zombies do hunger flesh but when the person in control knows that people it wants dead are near it sends zombies at them to just kill them not eat them. Maybe when this happens their are other zombies not far away who only care about eating people and aren't under full control.

Also the pig could have possibly been a test to see if humans could be genetically given the effects of say Zombie Blood. JFK knew about zombies as he obviously didn't have a big reaction ot them in the intro.

Edited by Nightmare Voyager
  • 2 weeks later...

I think that the zombies are on a "kill mode" like you say. I say this because during the game, the zombies only ever swipe and hit you. They never attack with their mouths like in many modern day zombie movies/shows. Also, when you die at the end of the game, the zombies don't feed on your corpse, they stand and shake their heads until they too die. This obviously shows that their controller uses them to kill, not to feed.

Good topic however.

Don't forget they have another desire, death. As Nightmare referenced in his post, Shino Numa's song states their mental state, there has to be the slightest shred of humanity in there, but outweighed by the control of Samantha/Richtofen.

Imagine wanting death so bad but are forced to kill against your will, creepy stuff.

Don't forget they have another desire, death. As Nightmare referenced in his post, Shino Numa's song states their mental state, there has to be the slightest shred of humanity in there, but outweighed by the control of Samantha/Richtofen.

Imagine wanting death so bad but are forced to kill against your will, creepy stuff.

Add beauty and carrion to that list! I feel the zombies are controlled by the controller putting music in their head and monkeys block the music, thus the control breaks. I think theres got to be something there. Edited by Nightmare Voyager
  • 1 month later...

On the taste topic, I believe that the zombies work on threat detection. Zombies attack you until you are not a threat, (down) and then move on to the next threat. In the MOTD intro scene when Salvador and Billy ran down the hall, Billy was over run but Sal made it past a gate. The zombies began to eat Billy because Sal did not attack and was not a threat. As for the monkey bombs, when in turned when a human throws a bomb, the zombie is fooled into thinking it is a human target, thus running into it and KABOOM.

• Administrators

Great point. I think we have a lot to learn from the music element.

Also going off of that, every zombie has a soul, the soul of the person the used to be, trapped inside. That's the only way they can escape, at which point a magic chest consumes them and my punching gets stronger. Ha ha. Still that's more like metaphysiology.

@rmidthun1337 then what do they categorize as "not a threat?" If I theow down my gun will they leave me alone? It might be like the typical "corrupt AI" sci-fi path where they decide that humans as a whole are dangerous for their existence.

• 2 weeks later...

Under the subsection of shrieker zombies, it should be noted that they are not truly zombies at all. In fact, I believe the proper term for them is Djinn, which you may know as genies. In numerous religions, Djinn are malevolent (sometimes depicted as benevolent) spirits of the sand, hence their attitude towards the player, as well as their garb, not to mention the method in which they spawn, rising as sand from the ground. It could be speculated that due to either 115 exposure, or the present Anouncer's control of the undead, they too seek to attack the player. It is quite possible that the current Announcer, is not just in control of the undead, as a result of 115, but that they are in control of spirits, and 115 works as a better conduit, akin to gold's superiority to copper. this is further supported by Richtofen's need for increased power, and technology to manipulate Stuhlinger, who as we know, was himself suffering from extended 115 exposure. 

• 3 weeks later...

-I commend you on your research. One problem I have with it is your statement on electricity's effect on zombies. If the 115-infected cells are cooked by electricity, amounting to the Wunderwaffe and Zap Gun's one-hit-kill capability, wouldn't that mean the Ray Gun should have the same effect?