What about Remastered Zombies for Next-Gen?

• Tech Admin

It's a pipe dreeam but it's not necessarily that far fetched.

They included WaW maps on Black Ops, they didn't offer anything additional on Black Ops II. Pretty much everyone will be on current gen consoles now (with the exception of a few). I think Treyarch want to include them, I think they want them to be remastered and I think that they want to do them they way they had intended for them to be done in the first place.

New engine, without the sam limitations they had, Tranzit was huge and if everything is correct - it was reduced in size weeks/days before release as it was crashing. I think Treyarch have very high aspirations and I think they want to offer what they had intended to offer and fixing lobbies/glitches into the bargain.

I would pay for them again, why? Because if I want to play zombies I can switch on one console and select what game I want to play, it also breeds new life into games which are 6, 4 & 2 years old.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if they would polish them and add small new tweaks. It would still be the same old maps. And all that time that developing those remasters would take is away from developing new zombies experience. Well that's my stance. Call of Duty starts to be the same recyled content year after year anyway so.

Even if they would polish them and add small new tweaks. It would still be the same old maps. And all that time that developing those remasters would take is away from developing new zombies experience. Well that's my stance. Call of Duty starts to be the same recyled content year after year anyway so.

They did have an extra year. If we assume one or two maps for the base game, like the previous (don't consider ripped out parts of Tranzit their own map) games, then it would be foolish for the zombies team to have done nothing after the maps were done.

You know how you incentivize stragglers 5o buy in to next gen, you give them an unbelievable experience. MS did it with Halo MCC, ActiBlizz can do it with 5h COD.

They had an extra year AND they're on next-gen.

Still doing something else is time away from doing new zombies. And looking how 2 years was no way enough for them to do even one map in Black Ops 2 they should not now waste their extra year. And how is being on "next Gen" doing any difference?

Next-gen is doing a lot of difference. Better lobbies (depending on how it is set up). 10x better graphics than old-gen. Better mechanics. Less glitches. Next-gen has proved that games are getting more advanced and a lot better. There is no reason not to remaster all of the zombie maps. I'm not saying focus on the remaster and not the new maps. I'm sure Activision can get more people to work on remastering the zombie maps. It's not like it just needs to be the zombie team that has to work on fixing and remastering all of the maps. Any other Treyarch or Activision team can do it. It's just upping the graphics, mechanics, and getting rid of glitches. It shouldn't be that big of a problem than what you are making it sound like.

• Tech Admin

The biggest concern I have, is the engine.

They say it's a new engine but it's not really, still the same old engine with a few tweaks. They should be using the engine that Bungie created from scratch for Destiny, I don't know if Bungie own it or if Activision own it but the engine should be replacing the previous outdated and patched engine.

The biggest concern I have, is the engine.

They say it's a new engine but it's not really, still the same old engine with a few tweaks. They should be using the engine that Bungie created from scratch for Destiny, I don't know if Bungie own it or if Activision own it but the engine should be replacing the previous outdated and patched engine.

Pretty sure Bungie owns it. They also own the Destiny IP themselves. (Activision has exclusive right to publish it).

Treyarch's next game will be using the same engine as their previous games as seen from different job listings looking for people with experience with idTech and Radiant.

They had an extra year AND they're on next-gen.

Still doing something else is time away from doing new zombies. And looking how 2 years was no way enough for them to do even one map in Black Ops 2 they should not now waste their extra year. And how is being on "next Gen" doing any difference? If it's new gen only, it's easier to port for one. Less difference between PC and consoles now, so less man power in that regard.

Plus they have more time. In the same 3 years that they now have, we got Tranzit, Nuketown, Die Rise, MOTD, Buried, and Origins. A new game mode, make that two (grief, turned).

So really, we're talking almost 4 years (including the dlc cycle).

I'm pretty sure I remember Naughty Dog said they ported TLOUR over in a year, with a small team. I'm sure that the campaign team for BO3 can do the zombies maps until the zombies team/multi team are done making maps.

They have two years so maybe they do a remaster collection if a lot of people ask for it.

That is not how life works. 

Also, DLC season is somewhat determined before the launch of the game it's self. 

Turned was meant to be a part of the original game, but it didn't have the time and so it was put into the DLC, just like the peacekeeper (my fav. MP weapon). 

Furthermore, you-know-who managed to predict the base of all the DLC from the next game after die-rise. 

Now, as for the engine. It doesn't need to be changed now, what with cloud servers. It can be upgraded remotely to suit are needs, unless I'm miss-interpreting the meaning of cloud servers and/or engine. 

As much as I would love to see a zombies classic game, I don't think we'll see that in this rotation… 

Now, here's what I don't understand: What is the point of better graphics? 

The zombies in BO2 were plenty realistic for me. Why spend all that extra time, processing power, and money improving what an already-decent looking zombies has to offer? 

• Tech Admin

The actual engine is basically like a card engine.

If you want to drive the road, you need to have an engine, how fast you go depends on how many cylinders that engine, has, what horse power it can output, whether it's diesel or petrol. Other factors also play a part.

The older the car, the more work will be required to be performed to make the car work the way you want it too work.

With a game engine, the same principle applies, but the engine controls lighting, effects, flame throwers, jumps, hits, etc etc. You can only patch an engine so much before the limitations of the engine source code are requiring a complete and total rewrite (in the sense of a car, it needs to be taken to the scrapyard).

You then buy a new car or in the sense of a game engine, you buy a new game engine or you code one from scratch and make it work the way you need it to work - rather than botching it together to get it to do what you need it to do.

Regarding the Engine
Technically speaking, AW runs on a brand new engine. And we know Treyarch and IW are going to use this engine as well, and of course build upon it and modify it et cetera. So you could say the next CoDs we get are running on a new engine.
Sledgehammer said they built new animations, sounds, rendering and physics engines completely from scratch, and you can see it in their product. AW looks a billion times better than Ghosts, it's probably the biggest technological leap forward for the franchise since CoD4. Sure, the new engine still uses some code of the old IW engine (Sledgehammer confirmed this as well), but it's a CoD game at its core so obviously they're not throwing the whole code away. 

So this "we need a new engine / lol they're still using Radiant" crap is seriously getting old. In the past, yeah you definitely had a point since every new CoD was basically the same shit different color with a few new additions here and slight changes to the engine there. But now they have a new, capable next-gen engine for their franchise.

Regarding the Remaster

Just leave the old maps alone. If you want to play them, pop in your WaW, BO1 or 2 disc. Looking at their previous "remaster" effort (Classic Zombies for BO1) they'll probably make the remastered maps less enjoyable than their original counterparts again. 

They have two years so maybe they do a remaster collection if a lot of people ask for it.

That is not how life works. 

Also, DLC season is somewhat determined before the launch of the game it's self. 

Turned was meant to be a part of the original game, but it didn't have the time and so it was put into the DLC, just like the peacekeeper (my fav. MP weapon). 

Furthermore, you-know-who managed to predict the base of all the DLC from the next game after die-rise. 

Now, as for the engine. It doesn't need to be changed now, what with cloud servers. It can be upgraded remotely to suit are needs, unless I'm miss-interpreting the meaning of cloud servers and/or engine. 

As much as I would love to see a zombies classic game, I don't think we'll see that in this rotation… 

Now, here's what I don't understand: What is the point of better graphics? 

The zombies in BO2 were plenty realistic for me. Why spend all that extra time, processing power, and money improving what an already-decent looking zombies has to offer?

The graphics are relatively speaking fine. It's not the graphics that need updating, it's stuff like the lag from killing too many zombies at one time, the gspawn errors from too many claymores. I can't think of the name of that shotgun/hand gun at the moment, but if you empty the clip, the entire game lags. That stuff is distracting, and takes away from the game. Then we can fix the glitches.

Wouldn't it be nice to fix that stair glitch in COTD, or fix the invisible wall in Buried under that awning.

I believe that at least coming out with an updated version of all of the maps wouldn't be that big of a problem. Maybe at lease re-render the maps and use the new engine and get rid of all of the glitches and bugs. I don't think that could be that hard of a task. Like I had already said, Treyarch doesn't just need the zombie team to work on remastering all of the maps. Any worker at Activision or Treyarch can do it; it's just re-rendering, de-bugging, and incorporating the new engine, that will obviously be re-colored.  

Why wouldn't they? They can use it because it's own by Activision mainly. They have all rights to use it. 

Because they wouldn't wait for Sledge to get their engine ready and then start to actually working on their game. IW might do it but even they most likely will continue developing their own version of IW engine now that Raven Software merged with Infinity Ward. Treyarch has used their own versions of the engines since World at War. With World at War Treyarch took it's own path with the engine upgrades and Infinity Ward kept upgrading theirs.

All Treyarch CoD's since W@W use modified IW3.0. (CoD 3 didn't use IW engine at all.)

Infinity Ward kept upgrading their engine from IW3 to IW4 and so on.

Sledge Hammer's current engine is most likely based on Modern Warfare 3's engine that they mostly overhauled for Advanced Warfare's needs.

If you want more detailed list on how the engines for each game go I can post it.

Edited by Matuzz

Why wouldn't they? They can use it because it's own by Activision mainly. They have all rights to use it. 

Because they wouldn't wait for Sledge to get their engine ready and then start to actually working on their game. IW might do it but even they most likely will continue developing their own version of IW engine now that Raven Software merged with Infinity Ward. Treyarch has used their own versions of the engines since World at War. With World at War Treyarch took it's own path with the engine upgrades and Infinity Ward kept upgrading theirs.

All Treyarch CoD's since W@W use modified IW3.0. (CoD 3 didn't use IW engine at all.)

Infinity Ward kept upgrading their engine from IW3 to IW4 and so on.

Sledge Hammer's current engine is most likely based on Modern Warfare 3's engine that they mostly overhauled for Advanced Warfare's needs.

If you want more detailed list on how the engines for each game go I can post it.

I never once said that the Remastered version of all zombie maps is going to be Treyarch's next game. I know that you aren't saying that but it sounds like you are. I'm saying that this could happen in the future. Not next Treyarch release. This could be a project that could be worked on after they are done with their next release. 

• 3 months later...

remaster the maps that need to be.

- add pap to shi no numa/verukkt

- add more areas to kino

- new bus route for tranzit

- add flopper to everthing

- add m1911 to origins

those are just examples, but i definately dont want the same exact maps with better graphics

If only Treyarch would listen to their fans and make things that are actually wanted. Yes, everyone wanted to play as a zombie but when they made Turned, that was a total let down. I just want them to actually remaster all of the maps for Next-gen. They would make tons of money just off that as a standalone.

i think treyarch does a fantastic job listening to their fans, but a standalone zombies game just may not be financially viable at this point.  It is very popular yes, but it is still a drop in the bucket compared to the whole CoD experience especially multiplayer

If only Treyarch would listen to their fans and make things that are actually wanted. Yes, everyone wanted to play as a zombie but when they made Turned, that was a total let down. I just want them to actually remaster all of the maps for Next-gen. They would make tons of money just off that as a standalone.

i think treyarch does a fantastic job listening to their fans, but a standalone zombies game just may not be financially viable at this point.  It is very popular yes, but it is still a drop in the bucket compared to the whole CoD experience especially multiplayer

Well more like a nicely sized cup in the bucket... 

remaster the maps that need to be.

- add pap to shi no numa/verukkt

- add more areas to kino

- new bus route for tranzit

- add flopper to everthing

- add m1911 to origins

those are just examples, but i definately dont want the same exact maps with better graphics

-I'm totally for the OPTION to add PAP and perks to maps that didn't have them before. I'd also like to see some greif and turned. 

-Actually making the map bigger is NOT something they're going to do. 

-They are NOT programing a new bus route for tranzit. 

-If you added flopper to die rise it would be HELLA OP. Instead, why not add wonderfizz to a group of maps that would distribute perks like EC and staminup as long as the perk wasn't game-breaking. 

-No, the mauser is meant for origins and it's one of the things that makes it unique!