Leonard Reiffel and Project A119 - USA's Plan to Nuke the Moon (Update for BO3)

4/30 Update: Leonard Reiffel

In the BO3 "Only the Cursed Survive" poster, there is a cityscape at the bottom which has been revealed to be Chicago (thanks to @PINNAZ )

It got me to researching Chicago, and it's notable citizens whom could possibly relate to the zombies storyline.  There was an individual by the name of Leonard Reiffel, and the man has collaborated with members of Operation Paperclip.

Specifically (borrowing from wiki), "Reiffel collaborated with German scientists recruited in America as part of Operation Paperclip, working on an early prototype for a railgun."

At the University of Chicago's Institute for Nuclear Studies, Reiffel helped construct a Cyclotron (high energy beam, particle accelerator).  

Imagine how shocked I was to learn that Leonard Reiffel led Project A119 - the plan to detonate a nuclear warhead on the moon.  (more information on Project A119 Below)

Reiffel also was a consultant to NASA on the Apollo program about the chance of there being life on the Moon (he later became deputy director of the "life on the moon" project).

Will Chicago have any significance, other then a location?  Hard to say.  If we're able to time travel, anythings possible - even going through with Project A119 (whatever that would achieve).  Regardless, Reiffel's connection the Moon, and the nazis is interesting.

Just food for thought, really.

450px-Study_of_Lunar_Research_Flights_-_

Project A119, also known as "A Study of Lunar Research Flights", was a top-secret plan developed in 1958 by the United States Air Force. The aim of the project was to detonate a nuclear bomb on the Moon which would help in answering some of the mysteries in planetary astronomy and astrogeology, and had the explosive device not entered into a lunar crater, the flash of explosive light would have been faintly visible to people on earth with their naked eye, a show of force resulting in a possible boosting of domestic morale in the capabilities of the United States, a boost that was needed after the Soviet Union took an early lead in the Space Race and who were also working on a similar project.

Neither the Soviet project E-4 nor the US Project A119 were ever carried out, being cancelled primarily out of a fear of a negative public reaction, with the potential militarization of space that it would also have signified, and because a moon landing would undoubtedly be a more popular achievement in the eyes of the American and international public alike.

source - wiki

There you have it, a plan to blow up the Moon.  One could only imagine there may be ulterior motives behind such a test.

Here is the full document: http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB479/docs/EBB-Moon02.pdf

I've not gotten to reading it yet.

112712_1513_dumbassesat1.jpg?w=450&h=451

Edited by GRILL
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

Remember that time we almost nuked the Moon?  You don't?!?  Well neither did I, until recently.

I'd been planning to make a thread on this for awhile, because I feel like it's SO GOOD it could almost be a part of the zombies storyline.  Obviously it's not, and this is just me having fun with theories - so that's why I threw this in "Future Zombies".

Brilliant discovery. I concur, it would be ingenious of them to include this. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to any more details you may come up with in this area!

I always talk about blowing up the Moon in zombies, for some reason I feel like it would fix something. I don't know what it would fix but I think it would.

• 4 weeks later...

4/30 Update: Leonard Reiffel

In the BO3 "Only the Cursed Survive" poster, there is a cityscape at the bottom which has been revealed to be Chicago (thanks to @PINNAZ )

It got me to researching Chicago, and it's notable citizens whom could possibly relate to the zombies storyline.  There was an individual by the name of Leonard Reiffel, and the man has collaborated with members of Operation Paperclip.

Specifically (borrowing from wiki), "Reiffel collaborated with German scientists recruited in America as part of Operation Paperclip, working on an early prototype for a railgun."

At the University of Chicago's Institute for Nuclear Studies, Reiffel helped construct a Cyclotron (high energy beam, particle accelerator).  

Imagine how shocked I was to learn that Leonard Reiffel led Project A119 - the plan to detonate a nuclear warhead on the moon.  (more information on Project A119 Below)

Reiffel also was a consultant to NASA on the Apollo program about the chance of there being life on the Moon (he later became deputy director of the "life on the moon" project).

Will Chicago have any significance, other then a location?  Hard to say.  If we're able to time travel, anythings possible - even going through with Project A119 (whatever that would achieve).  Regardless, Reiffel's connection the Moon, and the nazis is interesting.

Just food for thought, really.

------------------------------------ -------------------------------------

Also, I've found the full document for Project A119:

http://nsarchive.gwu.edu/NSAEBB/NSAEBB479/docs/EBB-Moon02.pdf

Happy reading! :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

How would you know if a nuke would destroy the MPD or not?

@Stop mocking me0 the moon was bombed recently...not sure how the impact compared to a nuclear weapon-prolly minute; but the point was, the impact from the bomb was apparently invisible to to unprofessional eye. So I'm thinking a moon nuke wouldn't affect gravity, etc.

@Nightmare Voyager

Haha, yes, according to the info we have, the MPD is extremely resiliant; but I don't think anyone's ever tried to nuke it. It would be the only option, I figger. It's gotta be destructible somehow. It's made of matter, therefore, is separable. How is yet to be seen. 

what if it isnt made of matter? I think there is a way to destroy the MPD, well not actually. What would happen to the world if there was no moon at all? Like it vanished in the blink of an eye, not destroyed but just gone?

Our orbit would be thrown out of whack causing massive temperature changes. The tides would go flat and the constantly rise as there is no longer a "bulge" in the water to keep it at bay. (Literally) Furthermore the sudden loss in our moon would cause numerous issues with electric fields, migration patterns, and maybe even cause the earth's axis to fly out of control. 

• 8 months later...

After the completion of the Der Eisendrache EE today, just want to give a shoutout to my man @GRILL for posting this thread over 2 years ago. Many had speculated that in order to fix the story the moon would be blown up by rockets. 

And that happened today. 

I also didnt realise that you included te BO3 promo poster too! Haha. Relevance. P

BRAINS Grillam for posting some real world event information. That's what I love about this story. I think Zombies have finally been Rezurrected!!!