Riptide - The Prequel to Buried (WIP)

"Day 434. 

3 days left. Russ says that's all it will take for us to reach the outskirts of Lahore. I am getting fearful of what we shall find. Stu thinks that there is a chance the old ISI base will still be active, but I doubt it. All the supposedly "operational" military bases were overrun in the first 2 months of the outbreak. The only place we still had hope was the US Military base in Kuwait. We were safe there for 4 weeks, and had food, water and actual time to relax there for the first time since this hellish plague broke out. 2 days before our scheduled departure to continue to the Rift, an unusually powerful zombie escaped it's chamber and infected the lower level of the base. They told us to take whatever we needed and be out in 2 hours, as they were going to set off the fortress's final defence mechanism, The Phoenix System, to eradicate the deadly undead. So we kept walking, using alternate modes of transport where possible, guided by Russman's deteriorating mind. It is hard to find cars out here, as many of the vehicles have been rendered useless by scavengers of parts and rotting tyres. We still have no idea as to what caused the desolation of the planet, other than what we felt that eventful afternoon and what we could gain from the aftermath of the explosions, and while I may be a great scientist, Russman is the real work at play here. His ties to Broken Arrow could be beneficial to us figuring out the cause of this nightmare straight from the depths of Hell... If only he could remember it all... This is Marlton Johnson, signing off."

Day 412

Our time here in Kuwait is drawing to a close, and we are beginning to make our preparations for our departure on toward the Rift. Russ seem's to think that we will find what we seek in Egypt, or at least what WAS Egypt. We've come a long way from Shanghai on a limb, but, to quote Napoleon; "A treacherous path is better than no path". At least, I think it was Napoleon. It could have been Stu, but that's not the point. Russman's memory is on the fritz, and the only thing which has kept him sane is the bloodshed. After these 4 weeks of peace, he has deteriorated rapidly. *loud banging is heard* JUST A MINUTE MISTY! The Kuwaitians , wait, Kuwaitians? Kuwaitos? Kuwaities? Oh, whatever. The people of Kuwait have been more than generous to us, and all they asked in return is that we mind our own business around the compound. We graciously accepted, but I couldn't help but notice a few cargo trucks wheeling in "ZMB Shipping" crates yesterday afternoon. I can only wonder what things something labelled "ZMB Shipping" could bring to their labs, but if my hypothesis is correct, then they are still working on a cure for this disease. If only the German would answer our questions... But alas, I fear Stu's mutterings to be a sign of his loss of sanity. I've seen firsthand that the German's words are to be trusted, as, per his instructions, we have made mystical blue lights (unexplainable in any way) surround 2 "Towers". However, i am confused as to why he only speaks to Samuel. As far as brains go, I am by far mentally superior to any of the other 3, even my darling Misty. *banging continues, and Russman is heard saying "Darlington, stop talking to yourself and get out here! We have a situation!* Ugh, I am being summoned by Filthy. This is Marlton Johnson, signing off. *sound of a lock being clicked and a man is heard screaming: "It's a beacon, it's a beacon!*

Day 439

Oh god, that went to shit so quickly. I haven't been able to sit down in peace with my recorder in 5 days, so I will do a recap of the last few days events. Well, we made it to Lahore right on schedule. We thought we'd seen destruction in Kuwait, but we were unprepared for this. Millions of bodies were strewn across the flooded streets, and more than a thousand shamblers populated every street. They lay dormant of course, as many do without stimulation, similar to the EMP effect we saw back at the diner in the county... Buildings lay in ruins and the city's sewers had flooded the streets and left them with a foul stench, which only added to the disgusting aroma of rotting flesh. We cut though the empty tunnels as a means of avoiding the hordes that roamed the streets above, and tried to make our way to the military base. When we reached it... It was a scene ripped straight out of hell. The fortress' walls were in ruin, and real human corpses littered the ground, smashed skulls and severed heads to prevent the reanimation. It looked like someone had survived an assault, and then stopped his brethren from coming back. A valiant but futile effort on his part.

3 DAYS LATER

I was crouched in a bush, clasping Misty's gloved hand in my left hand, and my trusty Colt M1911 in my right. My heart was racing in my chest, and as all four of us crouched here in the bushes on the outskirts of Lahore, Pakistan, I thought to myself that it was just like old times, back on the Bus in the town, it was us 4 against the world. Almost the entire world was overwhelmed by the original outbreak, and if they weren't killed by that, then the explosions would have finished them off. Less than 35 thousand people still exist worldwide, according to the data we gathered at the Kuwait base. TO BE CONTINUED...

NOTE: The reason they went through Kuwait before Pakistan is due to the Moon Rockets displacing certain areas.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good read Nait. I could actually believe this to be real transcripts from events between maps. Looking forward to more of this from you. Brains awarded! :D

Thanks mate. That was the approach I was hoping for. Aww, thanks man.

I was just wondering though, whether you think it would be better to do the whole thing in that log form, or with the real-time stuff as the primary information? I would have no problem doing either, it's just that I find it hard to write from the first person in actual scenarios, and the tenses get me tense as I try to figure out if they are all used correctly.

Brilliant I am eager to know what the other people alive are like and if they appear as some form of civilization at some point. Brains for you sir!

I was just wondering though, whether you think it would be better to do the whole thing in that log form, or with the real-time stuff as the primary information?

I would keep it in log form for the time being. It goes in line with how we are fed the storyline by Treyarch and allows us the audience to paint our own picture on how events pan out. It is more fun that way.

You should definitely do more of these though, and soon please! :D

Im liking the next chapter, just remember its spelled Marlton without an E. I like how you are following an Easter Egg side too :)

Oh, thanks for that. I wasn't sure.

Thanks, I thought it would just make it all better if they only believed Stu's madness because they had seen firsthand what "the German" could do.

More soon. This really is a good concept. Maybe you could add a chapter where they escape Die Rise, see everything in the intro of Buried and even talk about how Broken Arrow and Stu's voice came out. It could be a role switch where we get certain segments where they talk of there past!