Controversial Richtofen Quote, COTD

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Here is the quote in question:

[youtube:1j4qfyft]0hUm-p-DXSQ[/youtube:1j4qfyft]

Skip to about 5:49

For those who don't wanna listen to the quote, here it is.

"Ah! Much better! Now I can see the problem. We must have gone too far into the future! Look, the teleporteer's completely broken. The time circuits are damaged."

I'm sure you've all heard this quote before and dismissed it without a second thought. However, recently I have found that there are many different interpretations on the Forums to this quote so I made this thread to get to the bottom of what this quote actually means.

Here are the interpretations I have heard.

First: Richtofen is saying that he and the group have traveled farther into than the future than they intended. Logically, one would assume his initial target time period/destination is the next map, Shangri-La. This would suggest that the group had to travel back in time to reach Shangri-La, and therefore, Shangri-la is before COTD year-wise, NOT in the order that we visit them.

Second: Richtofen is saying that this time period/destination IS in fact where he intended to go, but it was too far into the future in that the teleporter could not handle it. This would explain why the teleporter is "completely broken", as he later mentions. This would mean that Shangri-La could take place AFTER COTD time-wise.

So which is it? Once we figure out what he meant by this quote we will be one-step closer to understanding the Zombie timeline. Does anyone have any evidence for or against one of these viewpoints?

The full quote reads:

"Ah, much better, now I can see the problem. We must have gone too far into the future. Look, the the teleporter's completely broken, the time circuits are damaged."

I think the whole quote is important to understanding it all, since you only have part. He says "Look" in a way that means he is playing off the last sentence. Therefore, it seems to me that he is commenting on the fact that the teleporter couldn't handle going so far into the future.

I do believe that he was trying to reach Shangri-La at a certain time, because he is expecting someone when he arrives in Shangri-La.

"Hello? We are here. Now to make it to the switch to start the fun."

Considering we didn't meet anyone, it's possible that we didn't make it to the right time and maybe we didn't actually fix the time circuits and only the teleporter, making us still go in chronological order.

Guest MurderMachineX

I don't see why time period and destination have to be wrapped together. They went too far into the future, farther than Richtofen intended. Richtofen meant to go to Call of the Dead, just at an earlier time.

And I do think this quote proves Shangri-La occurs earlier in chronological time.

Guest BlindBusDrivr

I'm rather intrigued by this quote now.

Now the reference to someone waiting for them, that's a difficult one. Since Ascension is in the 1960s, and they travelled to far into the future, he would have to be aiming for sometimes between 1963-2011.

I wonder if he knew about the Russian submarines that crossed that channel, and makes me question exactly how long it's actually been abandoned...

The other thing is the time circuits, I'm not sure why but I feel that is important.

I'll keep this on my mind, sorry my detective skills haven't been to sharp lately :P

Now the reference to someone waiting for them, that's a difficult one. Since Ascension is in the 1960s, and they travelled to far into the future, he would have to be aiming for sometimes between 1963-2011.

I wonder if he knew about the Russian submarines that crossed that channel, and makes me question exactly how long it's actually been abandoned...

The other thing is the time circuits, I'm not sure why but I feel that is important.

See this is the thing I wonder about, in Call of the Dead you see the calendar on the wall by the door the characters are trapped behind. On the bottom it says 52 anos, and in the Aztec religion, there is a sacrifice every 52 years. In the Easter Egg, you make a human sacrifice. Now the way it was done is different but the concept still may be the same.

But I say that because if they went there and 2011 was a sacrificial year, then who knows what else Richtofen may have known. I am open to the idea that he knew the submarine would be there etc, and that it wasn't by accident they went too far into the future. I'm not sure how much I believe that they then went back in time for Shangri-La, but I'm open to the idea of it.

Guest BlindBusDrivr

See this is the thing I wonder about, in Call of the Dead you see the calendar on the wall by the door the characters are trapped behind. On the bottom it says 52 anos, and in the Aztec religion, there is a sacrifice every 52 years. In the Easter Egg, you make a human sacrifice. Now the way it was done is different but the concept still may be the same.

But I say that because if they went there and 2011 was a sacrificial year, then who knows what else Richtofen may have known. I am open to the idea that he knew the submarine would be there etc, and that it wasn't by accident they went too far into the future. I'm not sure how much I believe that they then went back in time for Shangri-La, but I'm open to the idea of it.

Ah yes, Richtofen playing dumb. Like with his dialogue in Kino "And what happened to that little girl?" You can never trust him when he claims there's been a mistake or he doesn't know something, because he created all of this.

I think this further backs up the idea that Richtofen's 'voices' are lucifer in aether guiding him.

He could know what the year he's going to is, but how could be possibly predict that a movie crew that he had no idea existed would be filming here on the date of a zombie outbreak and just coincidently a stranded Russian submarine using a vril generator was stranded there and he knew exactly how to get it and manipulate everyone. The fluidity of his plan is unflawed, as if there's a supernatural force backing it :twisted:

Guest MexicanIlluminati

I don't see why time period and destination have to be wrapped together. They went too far into the future, farther than Richtofen intended. Richtofen meant to go to Call of the Dead, just at an earlier time.

Oooh this is true, keep this in mind everyone.

Oooh this is true, keep this in mind everyone.

It doesn't have to be, but can be. If he was trying to reach Call of the Dead at a certain time like even you are saying in your own post, then the time period and destination or correlated.

Guest football5699

Maybe he followed the Aztec ritual before when they sacrificed Samantha/Maxis in the 40s (or 50s I forget). Maybe this could be placed in the 90s? Just throwing ideas out there.

Guest Kill_All_Monkeys

Wasn't part of the EE in Cotd to help repair the teleporter? If this is the case, wouldn't it make sense if Richtofen fixed the time circuits, allowing them to still time travel to Shangri-La?

I do also think Richtofen meant to go to Cotd. He seemed to know an awful lot about the area and that defense mechanism thing or whatever those boxes with the red lights were. They just went too far into the future, which put too much pressure on the time circuits and damaged them. He said only the teleporter was completely broken, not the time circuits, therefore capable of repair. Yet we still fixed and used the teleporter anyway.

This is my interpretation anyway.