The Antikythera Mechanism

Guest Tac

Dr. Edward Richtofen: Now to realign the antikythera mechanism. Just kidding, but it is pretty cool, look it up. I made it, mystery solved.

280px-NAMA_Machine_d

Over a hundred years ago, a mechanism was found in the ocean near the island of Antikythera and has stunned historians of the ancient world. The machine dates all the way back to 200 BC and is the most complex mechanism is the ancient world. The Antikythera Mechanism is an ancient mechanical computer designed to calculate astronomical positions and phenomena. It calculates the cycles of the Solar System, likely developed by a scientist and mechanic for a non-expert traveler.

This was just a smaller thread since Richtofen himself said to look it up, and I have done so. If you find anything else you'd like me to add I can do so. I am not sure if this relates to the story in any way since he says, "Just kidding", but I figured I'd bring this to your attention.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MurderMachineX

I know about this. I was laughing when I heard him say this, because I got the reference. It's absurd though; that's why it's funny. It has no relevance to the story; Richtofen was just joking.

It's basically the world's first computer, by the literal definition of the word.

When/Where does Richtofen say this quote?

He says it on Moon during Step 2 of the Easter Egg, the exact code for the quote is vox_plr_3_quest_step2_4.

I know about this. I was laughing when I heard him say this, because I got the reference. It's absurd though; that's why it's funny. It has no relevance to the story; Richtofen was just joking.

It's basically the world's first computer, by the literal definition of the word.

Ok cool, I didn't think it had relevance but I couldn't be for sure. It's interesting how ancient it is, or it is to me at least.

Guest MurderMachineX

Oh yes. Ancient people were much more technological than most people give them credit for.

In fact, there is an actual theory (the name slips my mind) that proposes that mankind has gone through many stages of intelligence and lack thereof: going from really smart, to struggling to live, to really smart, to struggling to live. Just in different ways. Not saying I believe it; but interesting nonetheless. Although think about it this way: If a civilization became so advanced that it solved the problem of pollution completely by making everything biodegradable, then wouldn't there be absolutely no evidence of its existence left?

Anyway, more related to the topic. Here's another ancient fun fact. The toilet was invented in 2500 B.C.E. by people living in the Indus Valley. Not too off-topic, no?

Guest MyLittleHellhound

After all, was it the Mesopotamians that invented the wheel? Well, alot of civilisations came up with different versions.

Look what that wheel has done for modern day stuff!

Anyways, I didn't know about this before!

Awesomesauce Tac!

Guest Shooter

I'm glad you posted this Tac! I was gonna touch on this slightly in my Moon Quotes Analysis thread, but forgot to include it in the final cut. It's just a pretty funny reference.

Sure, it's not applicable to the story, but it's a fun take on the real life mystery that is the Antikythera Mechanism. I'm sure the people that haven't seen it are sure to get a kick out of it.

So, it turns out Richtofen invented it. And we all know how much that nutcase Richtofen likes to go on and on about his stupid creations, of course he would brag about it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MrRoflWaffles

:lol: Ahahaha! :lol:

Whether this is relevant storywise or not (personally doubt it lol), I'm still happy you made this thread because the quote is pretty funny :D

[brains] !

EDIT: Or not, can't give brains >_<

- Waffles