Gersh Name Misspelling; Gersh Device + Casimir Effect

Guest Tac

First off, I'm going to start off by saying that it has been generally accepted that the scientist known as Dr. Gersch was spelled with a "c" and looks like Gersch, but in actuality it is without the "c" and is spelled Gersh. In the sound files, when you listen to them, they show the file name and they list the name as "gersh." On top of that, the achievement attainable in Ascension known as "They are going THROUGH!" has the following description, "In Ascension, kill at least 5 zombies with 1 Gersh Device."

Now that that is out of the way, we can move on to how the Gersh Device and Casimir Effect work in conjunction with each other.

Casimir Effect

In Ascension, we hear Richtofen say. "Casimir? Could this be related to Hendrik's work?" and that opened the doors to what we thought was involved. We know the Casimir Effect is involved in the game, given the quote on Moon, "A Casimir effect only occurs when there is a vacuum." But what exactly is the Casimir Effect? It has many applications, some to do with two plates and energy when we discuss the Casimir Mechanism, but what about the Gersh Device?

"An instant handheld teleporter..." According to Richtofen and gameplay experience, the Gersh Device is a teleporter. It works the same way essentially as the larger teleporter versions throughout the maps like Der Riese, Kino, and Moon. The Gersh Device works as a black hole for Zombies, but a wormhole for the characters.

A black hole has INSANE amounts of gravity and sucks anything with a mass into it, the center of which is called a gravitational singularity. When you go into the center of the black hole, you're screwed. It's a one way street and there is no way of backing out of it. What's the solution? Wormholes. Now, there are many different types of wormholes, some of which being: faster-than-light, time travel, inter-universal, and exotic matter, all of which are Traversable Wormholes.

Transversable Wormholes are your basic idea of teleportation, moving from one location to another very very quickly. To open a wormhole large enough to travel through it, you need what is known as negative energy, which is anti-gravitational. It would be spread on the outer edge of the wormhole, repelling the fabric of time and space and would prevent gravity from crushing the wormhole. According to the Casimir Effect, that exact thing is possible.

As you can see, the Casimir Effect has many applications to the story and this is one of them. I hope you like the thread and feel free to comment!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rissole25

Honestly, I think 'Gersch' is the correct spelling, and that 'Gersh' was how it was spelled early on in development.

While the achievement and soundfiles state 'Gersh', these were probably made early on in development. I assume they changed it very late in development, even last minute, because in-game, it's spelled 'Gersch'. If that was incorrect, than they could've easily corrected it with a patch. Failing that, they obviously could have changed it by the time Moon came out.

Unless of course when the device was named after him, "Gersh" decided to throw in a random 'c' for god knows what reason, but I think that's highly unlikely.

Man I seem to disagreeing with everyone lately. :/

Guest MyLittleHellhound

Oh so that is how it works...... :D

I understand.

Will rhe spelling make any difference to what we know thus far?