The Grandfather Paradox and Shangri-La Time-Travel

Guest Tac

First off, the reason we bring up a paradox is due to the fact that at the end of the Easter Egg on Shangri-La, the characters are brought back to their starting point of searching for Shangri-La. This is called the Grandfather's Paradox. In this exact, real-life form, this paradox is a follows:

Suppose a man traveled back in time and killed his biological grandfather before the latter met the traveler's grandmother. As a result, one of the traveler's parents (and by extension the traveler himself) would never have been conceived. This would imply that he could not have traveled back in time after all, which means the grandfather would still be alive, and the traveler would have been conceived allowing him to travel back in time and kill his grandfather.

In terms of Shangri-La, it's as follows:

Dr. Richtofen and the crew traveled back in time to save Brock and Gary. As a result, they would be saved from death. This would imply that, in the future, they crew wouldn't have to go back in time after all, which means that Brock and Gary would still be dead, and the crew would have gone back in time to save Brock and Gary.

And THAT'S the contradiction. The only solution to this type of paradox is an alternate timeline, a parallel universe. This theory says that if you go to the past and cause someones death (or in this case, save someone), in the mainline nothing ever happened. Instead a new timeline is created that branches off at the moment of change. Think of time as a river. Every historical event spawns a new universe for every possible outcome, resulting in a number of alternate histories, but time-travel creates a new reality, a completely new parallel universe. That's where we are.

Guest MurderMachineX

I know we discussed this already, but it's a good thought nonetheless. [brains] [That's how you do it right? :P My first time giving someone them.]

Lol we all have our theories, and it's such a pointless topic it's ok to disagree on :P And you have to hit the green button on the top of my post, not put the brains in the post ;)

Guest killallzombies

kino???

also another paradox:

a man goes back in time to stop his wife from dieing,but then she dies of another cause

he does it again and the same result follows:

somthing goes wrong in rictofens plan,he goes back in time to change it......u understand

it could've happened,and that would explain kino

they traveled to an alternate universe where rictofen could persue his plan..........*sees deckchairs kino post* what do u mean deckchairs already posted somthing similar to this (not sure if it says the same thing but i know it has to do with kino being in an alternate dimenson)

:lol: I get what you mean you are just ALL over the place haha, I can't remember the name of the paradox but that state's that the past can't be changed and while you might save your wife from the death she occurred, she will die another way anyways.

I am having trouble relating to Kino though. Explain?

Guest killallzombies

say that before Der riese rictofens plan was foiled,so he went back in time to SNN for the dg-2

then went to Der riese for the teleporters

then overloaded them into an alternate dimenson so whatever foiled him last time,doesnt happen

understand

(cause i was doing this awfully quick,so if its still unclear i can re-explain in an easyer-to-understand way

I suppose it's possible, but Ed wasn't aware it could time travel so it's kind of a mute point I guess. I'm trying to understand the point your making though because, if I'm right, the only time they enter a parallel universe is in Kino and S-L, but it doesn;t effect the gameplay in Kino at all

Guest killallzombies

I suppose it's possible, but Ed wasn't aware it could time travel so it's kind of a mute point I guess. I'm trying to understand the point your making though because, if I'm right, the only time they enter a parallel universe is in Kino and S-L, but it doesn;t effect the gameplay in Kino at all

lets say ed told us in WaW he Knew where sam was and explained the story behind it

it would ruin the story wouldnt it

same way,ed tells us he knows where in a different dimention to avoid a massive hole in his plan then it would causew suspition among the characters,and possibly the fans

i mean he says

where did that little girl go to
but he knew all along,same thing with the ability to switch time and space (dimentions) thing,3arc wanted to keep the suspense going

/rant

:P Idk I think it's just a lapse on 3arc's part, something they just kinda forgot. I can't really think of another choice. I mean if they had left it out all would be good, but the time travel aspect doesn't effect his knowledge of Sam's location.

Guest killallzombies

:P Idk I think it's just a lapse on 3arc's part, something they just kinda forgot. I can't really think of another choice. I mean if they had left it out all would be good, but the time travel aspect doesn't effect his knowledge of Sam's location.

the sams location was just an example

and at least u couldnt poke to many holes in my theory,yay i win (unless 3arc epicly fu**ed up

3arc wanted to keep the suspense going

Lol you said it right there. Your theory can't really be related to the Grandfather Paradox due to there is no time traveling or anything regarding the matter. I think that they literally just f*cked up like no other. Especially since the map was made for W@W, they made it sooo long ago. I mean they have screwed up before, so I wouldn't put it past them now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest piepwns

Trying to understand time paradoxes always makes my brain feel funny. It's so hard to understand, I can just barely follow along at all. So for example, Brock and Gary weren't saved, so you didn't get the Eight Perks, but then you go back to the present and you have them. How does that work?

Trying to understand time paradoxes always makes my brain feel funny. It's so hard to understand, I can just barely follow along at all. So for example, Brock and Gary weren't saved, so you didn't get the Eight Perks, but then you go back to the present and you have them. How does that work?

Basically you go back in time and do something that changes the future outcome. By doing this, it means you never had a reason for going back in time and doing whatever you did, thus making it so you didn't go back in time. Because you didn't everything is normal and so you go back in time to do that same things. Make more sense?

Guest piepwns

Yeah, That helps a lot, thanks. But anyways, how would you have all of the perks once the EE is completed if you went back in time and saved Brock and Gary, which means they are still dead, so you never go get all the Perks. But when you go to the present, you still have them. How does that work?

Yeah, That helps a lot, thanks. But anyways, how would you have all of the perks once the EE is completed if you went back in time and saved Brock and Gary, which means they are still dead, so you never go get all the Perks. But when you go to the present, you still have them. How does that work?

Haha the perks are basically an in-game mechanism that won't be changed. I mean they won't give you all the perks to take them away immediately, when thinking of the Easter Egg, it's best to disregard the perks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Der atzi

The way I see it the mdt is only capable of going to the future, and time travel in shangri-la is a grandfather paradox, UNLESS you use my actions theory: if I spilt a glass of milk on my self at 7 and traveled back in time at 8 to stop myself every bit of time past 8 would be obliterated, witch doesn't matter because the universe is branching off into an alternate timeline in which I never spilt my milk on me anyways, also by correcting this action the me that came back from the future, would be still in tack. HOWEVER! The me that would have spilt the milk on myself would at some point have to travel back in time to recreate the actions that the me that stopped the spill did. And there is a 100% chance of this happening, the universe would bend will and physics until the me that would have spilt the milk(let's call him me2) went back in time to create a point of origin for me1!

Sssooooo..... Brock and Gary never claimed a point of origin so the universe wiped there minds and recreated richtofen and co.'s actions until a change occurred, and they created their point of origin. This bit can't be shown on black ops however because the crew get pulled back to the present at the end of each change and create time spits in which Gary and Brock escape! But in a different space time continuum!

Guest killallzombies

Lol you said it right there. Your theory can't really be related to the Grandfather Paradox due to there is no time traveling or anything regarding the matter. I think that they literally just f*cked up like no other. Especially since the map was made for W@W, they made it sooo long ago. I mean they have screwed up before, so I wouldn't put it past them now.

never said it was part of YOUR paradox,it was just my theory of kino,which happened to be a paradox

and to be honest,the grandfather paradox is really a looping ripple

and can you link me some proof that kino was supposed to be map pack 4

Guest Der atzi

never said it was part of YOUR paradox,it was just my theory of kino,which happened to be a paradox

and to be honest,the grandfather paradox is really a looping ripple

and can you link me some proof that kino was supposed to be map pack 4

kino was sopossed to be in map pack 4.... However 3arc probably didn't quote f*ck up, it just wants the world to be in the complete dark on how things work in order to create suspense.
Guest Der atzi

I want to blame the aliens for time travel.... And the mpd.... And richtofen going mad.... And the zombies.... And basically the whole destroy-the-earth problem....stupid aliens and their stupid necks....