I would suggest a like system which doesn't actually count, rather like the facebook system.  A like would be an acknowledgement from yourself that you 'like' the post, be that because it's funny or stupid, or even that you just agree with the point.

It wouldn't appear anywhere on your profile, just on the pertinent post.

Brains - look at the name.  They are designed for when someone posts something 'Brainy', not that you like.

It really sickens me to see posts that are extremely well formatted and written get ignored, and a picture gets 4 brains.  Wrong, wrong and wrong.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

It sounds like you are making this more of a personal issue rather than a systemic problem. This is a community forum, not a cold steel shelf of zombies information. As I stated above this ‘like’ would not be tracked it would be on the post and that is all. Do you have a rank on Facebook? The answer is no. Do I think this should take any sort of priority in the current needs of the site? No, simply looking for a compromise. There will always be folks posting information simply for a laugh, but they are not the same people who are dealing brains for that content. Welcome to the internet.

You are right this is a personal thing for me, as opposed to something I would have as a staff issue.

It doesn't make a great deal of difference to the board in general but it is something that I want to express my personal opinion on.

I agree with what you said about likes, and believe it is a good compromise.  I don't even think it's a compromise, it's just a good idea which makes good sense anyway.

I understand your point of welcome to the internet but in this case we have re-implemented a system which all the older users wanted, which is now being used in a completely different way to how it used to be.  That's my main issue.  Call it melancholy if you wish.

The site wouldn't work without people only posting for a laugh; it needs all kinds of posters to exist.  I just wish that brains were kept for the posts which required more thought than a quip, or a little photo shopping.  Things like that are perfect for likes.

90% of my brains were generated from clever/stupid/childish/humorous Jay posts.

I don't apologize for it, because I can't monitor it. But I do apologize for encouraging stupid Shit. I understand I set a terrible example for the younger guys to have fun, and Jayism has begun to take over.

That's why I was never excited about it in the first place. I know most people do not take it seriously anymore, because the number has been diluted.

The only way to stop the stupid comments from braining is to stop them from being generated. I pledge to only give you the mature Jay effectively immediately.

• Administrators

I pledge to only give you the mature Jay effectively immediately.

Please don’t, I think your unique brand of humor coupled with the occasional serious post makes you many users favorite as it is simply just fun to read. Not only does it keep things lively in the off season, but it also saves me from reading the mindless “What’s your favorite…” thread type over and over and over. People remember you for the threads that get members involved, but they are not your only contributions. You are frequently mimicked because your formula for interactive threads are a success. Of course sometimes you cross the line (to forum standards not mine), but I would hate to see that go. It is an issue with the members dealing the brains, not the posters.

I think a lot of people are currently seeing  brains as a mere "I loved this post!"-button. While it should be viewed more as a "This post is outstanding, regardless if I agree with the context or not".

It sure is weird to see my photoshop jokes getting more brains than a really well-thought-out thread. I don't think that is right.

I 100% agree with chopper, but I have to admit to giving some brains to a funny post a while back, thinking about it, that is not the correct way to use them.

I think a "like" system, without rank, could work as a solution, or what would you guys think about maybe removing brains from off topic and community centre, if they are supposed to indicate praise of excellent zombie related theroys and strategies is there really a need for them in those places?

That doesn't mean the content there cannot be of a high quality, it just isn't the right kind of content deserving of brains

I have a story I would like to share.

My wife would often accompany me to investor/customer related events. She is a very attractive woman who is often the subject of unwanted attention and stare. She claims she enjoys being attractive, but only to those whom she wants to attract. In reality she has no control over who she attracts and who she doesn't.

Brains were brought back to promote good behavior, but it's a double edged sword that also can create some issues, as we have already seen unfold with more to come. I agree for the most part with Chopper and HW's views, but I also realize the perfect system is merely a mirage. People will abuse it, majority will rule. But just because it is not working the way we had planned, doesn't mean we can't have fun with it.

During my freshman time as a member, I was naive with the brains system and the UOTM contest. I fought hard with Undead to see appropriate actions done to modify it. But I found the truth in it, that the right system would have Eye or Super winning it over and over back then, Boom and Slade piling trophies on their shelves today. The majority of people want to limit their candidacies, they want a "next in line" approach to the system. I have been runner up many times, and came close on a few occasions. But to be honest I cannot care any less about this system because it has already been watered down. I apologize to the last few winners if they feel offended. But again, just because it has flaws, doesn't mean we can't have fun with it. In fact, this flawed system is more entertaining and interesting than "Boomy wins his tenth UOTM in 11 months..."

I would say to eliminate the brains system ASAP, mostly because the negatives have seemingly outgained the positives. The regulars know who are readable and who to avoid, we do not need a number to compare popularity. And partly because I'm jealous of Boom's godly brain tally. I suspect he is a hacker who gave himself those brains.

Happy Sunday.

I would say to eliminate the brains system ASAP, mostly because the negatives have seemingly outgained the positives. The regulars know who are readable and who to avoid, we do not need a number to compare popularity. And partly because I'm jealous of Boom's godly brain tally. I suspect he is a hacker who gave himself those brains.

Happy Sunday.

I don't think removing brains is the right move as I still believe this can be worked out, but I feel a lot of the problems surrounding brains are due to the fact that we are currently in the off season and a lot more threads are becoming non-zombie related(For lack of a better term), but people still want to recognise the effort and quality of these non-zombies posts and use brains to do this.

The reason I think problems are arising because there are differing opinions on use of brains, from those who used brains on the old forums exclusively for zombie related stuff and the people who now participate in a lot more non-zombies stuff and are using brains for the first time.

I believe it is important that a compromise is made here, either brains is accepted as a site-wide method of praise or they are restricted to zombies related content.

Or a new system is introduced for non-zombies stuff and brains are kept exclusively for zombies relate stuff.

If no method can be generally accepted then it may be appropriate to remove them altogether

Maybe those options are not the best but I feel they are good guidelines to work off, or maybe everyone is already in agreement and there has just been an issue with communication but I personally believe the problems should still be formally dealt with one way or another

I skimmed over enough to get the jist of what's recently being discussed and I feel like this has been talked about before back when we originally had brains. So, here's my two cents on the whole ordeal:

1. Brains = Reputation. But what if we looked at it as Brains = Experience?

That's as straight forward as you can be, but everyone's take on it is a little different. Personally, I don't see the need for a separate "like" button by any means, because if I like a post enough to "like" it, why not just give them brains? Wouldn't that be the samething? I know the main idea is to encourage helpful, meaningful and useful posts and give them to those who earn them accordingly, but I also have different views on what is helpful, meaningful and useful to me than the lot of you and same goes for everyone else. I'm sure we can agree on some obvious general things, specific to the purpose to these forums, but the way I see it, if a member is active and generally productive, no matter the topic, and I like what they said, I'd probably give them brains. 

Worried about people spreading around too many to be counterproductive or defeating the point? Then put a limit on them. I'm not sure if there is already, but I don't see myself giving out more than 5 brains a day, ever. Nor should you really see the need to honestly. You should encourage GOOD posts, no matter the topic. Besides, let's be honest here; There's enough people already worried that their posts are being "skipped over" or ignored. Do you really think implementing a free-for-all "like" button will be helpful? Because frankly, I don't like every post or thread I read. With that, you might as well add a dislike button too to make it fair then.

I'm actually in favor of having a 'Thanks' alternative added, rather than a "Like".

It would be a more light variant of the brains we now have. (Not replacing them)

For instance: if I help out someone who's new to the site, he or she can thank me for my behaviour without having to give me brains.

Then if you go to someone's profile, you can see exactly how many Thanks he's received and how many he's handed out for instance.

Also, in the Forums Games section

Sorry Nai, but I'm against giving people brains just for solving a riddle.

I love these games, but brains shouldn't be used as an incentive for people to participate in our forum games. 

Games are just for fun after all.   :)

This.
There are numerous pages filled with discussions about people argumenting that the brain system will lose its value if people start handing them like candy.
But still if I go to Forum Games and solve a riddle I'm given brains. For what?
Because I decided to play a game the way it was ment to be played around here? That's ridiculous.
There are only a handful of people playing that riddle game anyhow and now everytime I look at their brain total I can't help but get the idea it's artificially inflated by simply playing games.

Especially if those people then start writing on this very thread how funny posts and funny pictures "aren't worthy of brains".  
Talk about irony.

I'm not asking this to be moderated, but I another look at restrictions on certain forums may yet still yield positive results. 
Because I honestly think this will break the system later on.

I'm actually in favor of having a 'Thanks' alternative added, rather than a "Like".

It would be a more light variant of the brains we now have. (Not replacing them)

For instance: if I help out someone who's new to the site, he or she can thank me for my behaviour without having to give me brains.

Then if you go to someone's profile, you can see exactly how many Thanks he's received and how many he's handed out for instance.

Again, wouldn't that basically be the samething though? Brains are also given out for helpful posts. Wouldn't that just be like saying "Thanks man" or "Great post"?

I really don't see the point without making one or the other, seem obsolete. If this is really that much of a concern, I'd suggest in the very least, having a neutral Brains option, one that doesn't effect the total count.

• Tech Admin

On another note, you can see who supplied brains and when - I just had a quick look at the settings enabled and disabled and realised I had it on the wrong setting (doesn't effect anything, just improves it). It's not enabled but it can be with a switch of a button, we'll need to look into in more in depth.

eda7860ba6ac1e664b35fb36023841dc.png

• 1 year later...

I don't suppose we can create a system where reputation can be earned by anyone who posts (likes and what not) and brains are awarded to the usefulness of the topic in general. 
So posts get likes, the topic gets brains. Essentially. 

Just spit balling here.

FOR A SECOND, NBZH posting here made me think brains were back, to which I was thrilled. But now I see it's just an old thread. 

Ahhhh the memories....

I'm not exactly sure what to opine, but it would be nice for something like brains for excellence/great info/great thread, and still have a 'like' and maybe even 'acknowledged' button.

-------

Sometimes someone responds with an answer, so i hit like as in 'I've acknowledged that you answered' and 'thanks for answering'. Whereas, if i simply read it and move on, they may never know that i read it or cared and feel less likely to respond in the future.

I never used brains like that, i only gave them up for perceived excellence.

Maybe 'brains', 'like', 'acknowledged'?

Please give it some thought and some versatility. A quick 'click response' can cut down on pseudospam. I often feel obliged to respond, though i don't have anything great to follow up with, and a simple 'acknowledged' or 'thanks' button would be delightful.

That's what i opine, apparently. Shrug.

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, 83457 said:

Maybe 'brains', 'like', 'acknowledged'?

A quick 'click response' can cut down on pseudospam. I often feel obliged to respond, though i don't have anything great to follow up with, and a simple 'acknowledged' or 'thanks' button would be delightful.

That's what i opine, apparently. Shrug.

This is a classic example of the above, actually. I would 'like' this comment to show my agreement, but (while this comment is far more qualified for Brains than a lot of comments that get liked now) I don't want to like it and provide misappropriated Brains. 

Just saying, nothing screams 'tight-knit community' or 'longstanding culture' the way this kind of conversation does. We're debating the meaning of a button. LOL! It's awesome.