Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boom115

Formatting 201: Advanced Post Creation

Boom115    241

Introduction
Today I will be guiding you through the wonderful world of post formatting. If you are new to the site I would recommend bookmarking the page for future use. If you have any questions or concerns along the way feel free to ask. Let's begin.

What are the benefits to detailed post formatting here at the forum?
1. More reads, more replies. Some members may disregard your post entirely in the first paragraph if you're formatting skills are extremely lacking. Poor grammar is a prime example of this. If your thread is formatted well, you're views and replies will increase as a result. Remember, the easier it is to read and look back at, the better response you'll get as a whole.

2. More respect (and brains). A thread that supports an innovative idea is good, but when it's formatted in a way in which people can understand it and recall it with ease, you'll be remembered and rewarded for it.

Index
I.The Basics
II.Quotes
III.Images and Video
IV.Sound Cloud
V.Spoiler Tab
VI.Lists
VII.Tables
VIII.Links
IX.Social
X.BBCode Basics

I. The Basics
Every end has a beginning. If you have used any type of word processor/forum/chat ever, feel free to skip this section.

**For all of the following options simply highlight your text and select the corresponding button.

Basic Typeface
Bold_zps52a61894.png-Boldface
Italics_zps532544c6.png-Italics
Underline_zps31f51ad1.png-Underline
strikethrough_zpsfb21fe43.png-Strike Through
allignment_zps79322096.png-Alignment

Subscript and Superscript
subscript_zps819cd129.png-Subscript: A letter, figure or symbol written or printed below the line. (ex.Uup2)
superscript_zps50e76fa4.png-Superscript:A letter, figure or symbol written or printed above the line. (ex.You smell like 4th wife.)

Font, Color, and Size
font_zpsdf64a245.png-Fonts
Arial
Comic Sans MS
Courier New
Georgia
Lucida Sans Unicode
Tahome
Times New Roman
Trebuchet MS
Verdana

**Some Fonts are available on the site through BBC, but are not in the toolbar. To utilize these font you will need the following code.
text

Arial Black
Arial Narrow
Book Antiqua
Century Gothic
Fixedsys
Franklin Gothic Medium
Garamond
Impact
Lucida Console
Microsoft Sans Serif
Palatino Linotype
System

fontcolor_zpsc0928486.png-Text Color: When selected a drop down is made available with a basic color pallet.
colorsmall_zps1e7e4f32.png
If you require a more specific color for your text select More Colors.
colorlarge_zps50f3e796.png

fontsize_zps9878e84e.png
-Text Size: Your text can vary from large to tiny.

II. Quotes
Simple quotation marks are a thing of the past. Quote boxes for friends/devs/characters made easy.

quote_zps4847555b.png-Quick Quote: This can be used to manually enter a quote from someone. Unfortunately this button does not give a choice to add a name to the quote and must be added in manually by editing the BBcode. If you are unsure on how to edit please the BBcode section.

Ex. Written in BBcode to demonstrate adding a name.

[quote name="Jimmy Z"]
Arlington is the Avocado, I'm foreals!

Arlington is the Avocado, I'm foreals!

Working with quotes in a thread you have two options when replying to friends.
quotethread_zps6dc31024.png-Quote: Using this option will automatically direct you to the reply page. Where the quote will be inserted into your reply.
multiquote_zps90fd149b.png-Multi Quote: This option allows you to select multiple posts before moving to the reply page. Your quotes will tally in the bottom right hand corner of the screen until you are ready to reply.
multiquotemenu_zpsb264f92b.png

III. Images and Video
 Text is boring, liven it up!

addimage_zps246bd32f.png-Images: a URL is required to add an image to your post. An image hosting site with accounts would be ideal so your posts will last a life time.
imgurl_zpse396d6b3.png
nuketowncounter_zps65bbc224.jpg

Adding Video: Paste the direct link to the video and the video player will appear. Easy as that.
'>

IV.Sound Cloud
The anguished cries of ze damned make such...music!.

specialbbc_zps4803534a.png-Sound Cloud:Too add sound cloud music/sounds to your post select the Special BBcode menu and choose SoundCloud HTML5. Post your sound cloud HTML in the text box.
  • Select the SHARE button on the Soundcloud Track
  • Click the EMBED button & copy the HTML code

post-127987-0-69387600-1391169334_thumb.

• Use the BBCode option Soundcloud HTML5 
  • Paste the HTML Code in here

post-127987-0-37638200-1391168760_thumb.

• Delete everything in the code EXCEPT the TRACK NUMBER which is located in the code after the   /tracks/    and before the   &auto_play=false
  • This is the Track Number for the code below ~ 125286824
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/125286824&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
  • Or you can Manually type & paste the Track number between the code
[sc5]INSERT TRACK NUMBER HERE[/sc5]

V. Spoiler Tab
Don't be that guy...hide your spoilers. Creating a tab to mask sensitive information or minimizing post size.

specialbbc_zps4803534a.png-Spoiler: A spoiler can be used for any number of things. From 'Listing your high rounds in your signature' to 'who died on this week's episode of the walking dead'. Select the Special BBcode menu and choose Spoiler. Enter the text you would like to conceal into the text box.
spoilerbbc_zpsfb233886.png
The tab will look like this.
This

Enter your text in code brackets like these if you don't want to post all of you information in the text box.

VI. Lists
For all of your to-do, Christmas, and sh*t list needs. Bullet lists for bullet enthusiasts.

**The first two options are

highlight and select.
Bulletsquare_zps3576d9c4.png-Square:
  • Item one
  • Item two
  • Item three

Bulletnumbers_zpsaafc7ee3.png-Numbered:

• Item one
  • Item two
  • Item three
    [*]Item one
    [*]Item two
    [*]item three

VII. Tables
    This aint your grandmother's ***** table. Tables are great when making a chart or keeping records.

**The formatting for tables can seem overwhelming. Once you understand each codes use the whole process will seem much more simple.

[table] = Table
    [tr] = Table Row
    [th] = Table Header
    [td] = Table Data

The following is an example of a simple table for organizing a community event.

[table][tr][th=1]User[/th][th=1]Availability[/th][th=1]Platform[/th][th=1]Game Capture[/th][/tr][tr][td]Boom[/td]  [td]12PM-6PM[/td]  [td]Xbox[/td] [td]Yes[/td][/tr][tr][td]Mr. Pearnsley[/td]  [td]12PM-2PM[/td]  [td]GameCast[/td] [td]No[/td][/tr][/table]

User Availability Platform Game Capture
    Boom 12PM-6PM Xbox Yes
    Mr. Pearnsley 12PM-2PM GameCast No

VIII. Links
    Linky linky link-a-doodle-doo. Adding click-able links.

Link_zpsa10810b7.png-Add Link: for a quick hyperlink select this button and drop you link in the URL option
    unlink_zpsdd250885.png-Unlink: Highlight and select to remove the hyperlink from your text.
    Adding titles to your links: Using the URL= you can add a click-able title to any link. All text formats (size, font, bold, ect.) can be used on the title.

Wooo

Wooo

IX. Social
    For when you need to twit a friend on SpaceBook. Linking social media to your posts.

Twitter_zps2bff5d78.png-Twitter: Enter the desired twitter handle into the username and it will create a direct link to their twitter page.
    @boomzombiez
    -Member Link: Provides a quick link to a members profile. Select Special BBCode specialbbc_zps4803534a.png and choose Member.

Boom

Boom

X. BBC Basics
    You can never beat the classics. Covering ground level BBC for the few functions that are still relevant.

What is BBC?
    BB code is a set of tags based on the HTML language that you may already be familiar with. They allow you to add formatting to your messages in the same way as HTML does, but have a simpler syntax and will never break the layout of the pages you are viewing. They are done by typing enclosing the tag information inside square-brackets ( [ and ] ). (For example is the tag for converting to boldface.)
    How do you start and stop a code?
    There is a starting point and an ending point for every tag. In our code the starting point is signified by the two brackets, whereas the end has two brackets and a forward slash. All text that is located between the Start and stop will be affected by the code.

[]=Start
    [/]=Stop
    Ex.
    Misty has a HUGE set of guns.

What else should I know?

• It is possible to embed multiple codes within each other.

I'm using emphasis

I'm using emphasis

• If you need a gap that requires more than one space you will need use the tab function. If you try entering more than one space the code will automatically delete it.
    Code: [tab[[/tab]
    Ex.
    Denizens[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab]Are[tab][/tab][tab][/tab]Adorable.

Denizens          Are     Adorable.

• You can view and edit the code for your entire post by using the on/off switch Codeonoff_zps7746c1f9.png. You will not loose any work when the switch is flipped off. It can just as easily be enabled again.

Why is my code not working?
    Trouble Shoot:

• Like 10

Lenne    412

It's a shame you can't name your spoiler tabs anymore.

Oh well... Good job on your post.

I haven't read all of it yet, but it sure looks nice. ;)

PINNAZ    478

Great stuff BOOM!

There are so many possibilities & a few short comings with the new formatting options. A lot of great threads need reformatting & will probably go unchanged.

It's great you can still type the simple BBCode aswell as format straight from a 'word' document. "What you see is what you get"

Still getting used to some (most) of it.

Can't believe you linked the "Wooo" Vimeo. I actually have seen the man who haunted me during the redevelopment.

BRAINS to you. "Sticky"

Hells Warrrior    564

Great stuff BOOM!

There are so many possibilities & a few short comings with the new formatting options. A lot of great threads need reformatting & will probably go unchanged.

What short comings? Let me know, I can probably run a command in mysql to replace the image tags and so forth, if I knew what was affected.

Mr. Jay    60

Brains for this MFer. Very well done.

Although at the moment, Shooter is still irreplaceable in my heart.

Awards

PINNAZ    478

@ Hells Warrrior - I will list the pros & cons in the feedback thread.

BUT! I have discovered this. This will make Lenne happy.

Spoilers, inside of spoilers....

You can put a Spoiler

Inside a Spoiler!!!

I don't know how to make the code box, but you type it like a normal spoiler tab (see below, just add the brackets)

spoiler-TEXT-spoiler-MORE TEXt-/spoiler-/spoiler

Boom115    241

@PINNAZ Yes I was rather excited about that too!

code_zpse55beb82.png-Use this button to add a code box

A Spoiler
Within a spoiler
Spoilception

A Spoiler

Within a spoiler

Spoilception

PINNAZ    478

@PINNAZ Yes I was rather excited about that too!

code_zpse55beb82.png-Use this button to add a code box

A Spoiler
Within a spoiler
Spoilception

A Spoiler

Within a spoiler

Spoilception

I was using my phone & was unsure on how to type the code box out manually. That's what is hard with using a device with this software, If you don't know how to type the coding, you don't have access to any of the buttons.

Thanks Boomtastic & Mr Warrrior

Lenne    412

@ Hells Warrrior - I will list the pros & cons in the feedback thread.

BUT! I have discovered this. This will make Lenne happy.

Spoilers, inside of spoilers....

You can put a Spoiler

Inside a Spoiler!!!

I don't know how to make the code box, but you type it like a normal spoiler tab (see below, just add the brackets)

spoiler-TEXT-spoiler-MORE TEXt-/spoiler-/spoiler

Oh...my...god... yessssssss. lmao

Shooter    83

Awesome job with this here Boom! Easy to follow, detailed, and very helpful.

Thanks for this!

PINNAZ    478

Thanks for this!

Argh, the Master & his Apprentice. Haha

Also Boom, you should add that you can now give your spoiler tab a name -

He made this guide

BRAINS!

HIDDEN TEXT HERE[/spoiler

Just have to remember to now use ' ' either side of the Spoiler Title.

Boom115    241

Thanks for this!

Thank you! The amount of times I referenced your old thread when I first joined was insane! I'm glad I was able to pick up where you left off and hopefully I'll help others as you did. Welcome back!

Argh, the Master & his Apprentice. Haha

Also Boom, you should add that you can now give your spoiler tab a name -

He made this guide

BRAINS!

HIDDEN TEXT HERE[/spoiler
Just have to remember to now use ' ' either side of the Spoiler Title.

Will do Pinnaz. I'm also going to add a section on recovering the threads we thought were lost in the conversion.

Boom115    241

Mr. Pinnaz I thought I already thanked you, but I guess my post was lost when we were having them time out issues. I had been meaning to update since I saw HW's post in the TI forum. Thanks for helping out!

Mr. Jay    60

I'm having trouble getting the link code to work.

In my signature I want to include the link for better posting tips and strategies, but it gets rewritten once I save it.

Could someone help?

Awards

Mr. Jay    60

Thank you Mr. Pinnaz but it didn't work. I tried that initially but it ended up rewriting it into French.

Awards