Sepulcrum Immortuorum

AlphaSnake

Sepulcrum Immortuorum

(Tomb of the Undead)

Legio Nona Hispana (Ninth Spanish Legion) was a Roman legion which operated from the 1st century BC until mid-2nd century AD. The legion's fate is unknown but has been the subject of considerable interest and research.

It was based in York in 108. The theory that it was destroyed in action north of Hadrian's Wall around 117.

117 AD, On campaign with the Ninth north of Hadrian's wall.

Ambushed & herded into the highlands by a war-band of savage Celtic warriors. Forced to scale a mountain in severe weather the Legion find an opening into a massive cavern below the mountain.

The commander knows that they can hold such a small entrance for many days, enough for the Roman light cavalry to reach the nearest fort to rally reinforcements.

The cavalry unit is cut off & slaughtered by the war-band. The Ninth legion is at this point lost to the main Roman forces.

The 9th set about fortifying the entrance to the cavern. Five legionaries are enough to span the entrance, giving the Romans a strong defensive position.

The storm outside begins to worsen, The roman officers remark that the Celts are not advancing on the cave. The Romans believe this is because of their strength in numbers in the bottle neck of the cavern entrance.

However the Celts know that the cavern is sacred Druid grounds, legend tells of an altar deep in the maze of passage ways.

On the Altar is a decomposed head. Long since detached from its owner's neck, the once-fleshy features are now nothing but dust. Embedded in the skull are fragments of a strange rock, unlike anything ever seen before. In the darkness of the cavern the fragments glow from red to purple. It is said that the Druids would make a sacrifice before the skull in hopes of gaining the favor of evil spirits, the Druids filled the skull with a deep red fluid believed to be the blood of a sheep or goat.

The victim is tied to a stake & forced to drink the fluid.

After a few hours the victim starts to become feverish, hot to the touch. Slowly the victim succumbs to the fever & passes on to underworld claimed by a nameless evil that dwells in the depths of the underworld in the murky darkness.

The victims body however does not remain dead, soon after death the body is possessed with an ancient force of evil.

The undead body surges with new-found life. Becoming irritated, it strains at its bindings with Herculean strength. The undead body becomes irritated and strains at the bindings with Herculean like strength. They become the Inmortuorum (Undead). This is why the Druids bind the victim.

The Inmortuorum can only be killed in the following ways: by cutting off the head, burning the Inmortuorum at the stake until nothing but bones remain, or simply administering a hard sharp blow to the skull.

The skull & bones are thrown into the pool of souls behind the altar. This has over the eons contaminates the water in the cave system.

The legion have enough food for seven days, but they have little water in their skins. They send out scouts to find a water supply.

Instead, the scouts find the pool of souls. On the other side of the pool they can see the altar but it is too dark to make it out. The scouts note the location on wax tablets as they map out the veins of the cavern system.

They trace a small spring from the pool to the main cavern in which the legion is located. Little does the legion know that the water is contaminated by the bones of the Inmortuorum.

Most of the men take their fill from the spring, the officers & centurions have their own water skins still practically full as watered wine is the preferred choice of beverage for the legions commanders.

As the Legionaries settle for their first night in the cavern the commander posts a watch on the cave entrance & a detachment of 10 tent parties of legionaries to defend the narrow bottle neck should the need arise.

During the night a small group of Celtic warriors whose belief in Druid magic is doubtful at best plan to enter the cave system. Youth, strength of arms & hubris in their own fighting ability. Using their knowledge of the area, the Celts, 200 in number, use the narrow cracks in the terrain to worm their way silently down into the caverns below the mountain.

The Celts plan to murder as many Romans in the cavern as possible while they sleep. Secure in the knowledge that the rear is well protected the Romans would be taken by surprise or so they thought.

The Celt manage to climb down on the Altar side of the pool of souls. They find the skull on the altar and make fun of it. Several of the Celts eye the head with strange gem like stones with envy. To Celts heads are often kept as trophies. This one is no different, a fight breaks out over who will keep the skull. Several of the men begin to flee as their childhood memories start to return in the darkness of the cavern.

The old tales of what Druids did to those who desecrated their sacred grounds. Evisceration & flaying were the order of the day. With this thought strong in their minds 50 of the Celts begin to scale the far walls in an attempt to escape. Below the remaining Celts have drawn blood & the fight becomes a desperate battle to the death.

Unseen by the Celts the blood from the dead & wounded flows into several channels dug into the floor of the altar, the blood circles and turns moving towards the altar in the center. They have started a ritual, the blood flows through drains in the base of the altar dripping down to an unseen room below the main altar.

The blood pools on a seal on the floor. As the Celts that decided to escape climbed higher as they start to feel a faint rumble in the rock, some lost their grip on the slimy walls & fell to their deaths in the pool of souls below, more followed as the rumble became a violent shaking. All the Celts fell, those who lived through the battle were hit by their falling brothers. Those that fell into the pool of souls where skewered on stalagmites hidden just below the surface.

The thunder from the storm outside hides the noises of battle from the pool of souls. The Romans awoken by the earthquake are worried about being trapped in the cave should the quake continue or get stronger. A flurry of activity sweeps the camp as the Legionaries grab their gear ready to leave the cave.

The seal breaks below the altar air is sucked into the vacuum of the cave below. A deep booming growl fills the cave. Outside the storm intensifies lightening strikes the mountain over & over, this begins a landslide that continues to shake the roots of the mountain.

The landslide covers the entrance to the tomb. The Legionaries are trapped. Several of the Celts remain in the altar room forced to forget the fighting, they band together as a loud guttural growl shakes them to their senses.

The seal collapses completely, a black shadow bursts through the open seal.

"HAHAHAHA FREEDOM" the shadow booms. The Celt are frozen in fear as the specter takes on the shape of a human with burning red eyes...

"FOOLS, FETCH ME THEIR SOULS" Several of the dead Celts begin to come back from the dead, mangled & bloodied they shamble towards their former brothers, still frozen in fear the small band of men realize they are surrounded, corpse after corpse rise from the ground, more are coming from the pool of souls. trapped with no where to run the last of the Celts are surrounded by the undead.

Their last torch burns out leaving only the red glowing eyes closing in around them. A shrill chorus of screams splits the air as their flesh is torn from their bodies by hundreds of teeth & clawing fingers.

A deathly silence falls over the cavern. The Romans hearing the screams are distracted from the collapsed entrance.

"Form a line men" The first spear shouted.

To the rear the legionaries formed a line of shields 50 men wide, locking shields. "DRAW IRON LADS, see there! In the dark" As the Legionaries strained to see in the pitch black of the cave, out of the gloom two red eyes became clear, followed by dozens more.

"Ready Javelins men"

The Legionaries prepared to throw the iron rods in a low arc towards the unseen foe closing in.

"WHAT THE FUCK IN JUPITER'S NAME ARE THOSE THINGS"

"FUCKING BLUE FACED BASTARDS GOT IN BEHIND US, ITS A TRAP LADS"

As the Immortuorum closed in the first spear shouted his order.

"RELEASE, SEND THE BASTARDS TO PAY CHARON FOR THEIR TROUBLES"

Hundreds of iron tipped javelins flew into the closing ranks of the Immortuorm. Ripping through flesh & bone, many stumbled and fell. A twisted pile of flesh & iron spread out in front of the Roman line. But there was none of the normal cries of pain that should be coming from the wounded enemy.

"We got em lads"

"NO, look there are more coming on fast, READY SECOND VOLLEY"

"RELEASE"

This time the spears had less impact as the Immortuorm closed the distance, many of the javelins flew over the heads of the Immortuorm some finding their targets in the undead still pinned down by the first volley.

A noticeable unease came upon the ninth as they saw the impossible, those pinned by the Roman iron ripped limbs free from the javelins holding them back, others walked on impaled by several javelins. All mortal wounds, the Roman line started to inch backwards at the gruesome sight before them.

"STEADY LADS, DRAW IRON PREPARE TO RECEIVE A CHARGE"

The first few Immortuorm reached the Roman lines, the Roman blades made short work of the first few. Hacking at hands & arms as they grab at the Legionaries shields.

"HOLD THE FUCKING LINE SHIELDS UP"

The machine that was the Roman legion kicked in stabbing & thrusting as each target came into range of the deadly blades.

"We're OK sir, we're holding them back"

Just then the full weight of the Immortuorm closed in on the wall of shields. Pushing the Romans back a good two paces.

"DAMN IT, THESE THINGS DON'T KNOW HOW TO DIE"

"LOOK THAT ONES CUT IN HALF & HE'S STILL COMING"

"YAAAAAA"

"WAHHHH, BASTARDS BIT ME ON THE KNEE"

The Immortuorm that had been cut down crawled at the shields in front of them grabbing & biting the legs of several Legionaries. They fell back as others stepped in to fill the breach.

"GET THEM TO THE SURGEON NOW"

"WATCH YOUR LEGS LADS, DROP THOSE SHIELDS ON THEM"

Several Legionaries slammed the metal edges of their shields down on to the heads of the Celtic Immortuorm stopping them dead with a crunch of blood, scalp, bone & brains.

"HEY THAT FUCKERS NOT GETTING BACK UP, FUCKING KNEE BITTERS" Said Drust, he was a massive man a native of the Celts who had joined the legion to gain Roman citizenship.

"SEE THAT LADS, Hit em in the head"

It was too little, too late. Several men had followed Drusts call to go for the head, but a group of Immortuorm had wrenched the shield of one legionary out of his hands, seconds later several sets of teeth bit down into the Romans flesh as he let out a deep groan of pain, he was dragged from sight into the sea of undead Celts.

"HOLD THE LINE!!!"

It was too late, the line was broken, Immortuorm poured into the gap forcing aside the legionaries with the shear weight of their momentum.

Drust slammed his shields boss forward into the nearest Celt, with a wet crack the Immortuorm fell backwards its face smashed in but still not dead, with no eyes to see the undead Celt posed little threat & Drust turned to find his next target.

He realized that the breach had become a full blown rout, the men had lost their courage in face of such a horrid foe.

"FUCK, they have us on the ropes lads"

Drust turned to see what his options were, the fight had become a massacre as Legionary after legionary fell under the feet of the Immortuorm.

"ON ME FORM UP OR WE'RE ALL DEAD"

30 men answered his call, they formed up next to him.

"LOCK SHIELDS, WE RETREAT ON THE COUNT, I'll CALL IT"

"1..2..PUSH" The 30 shields rammed forwards pushing the Immortuorm back a step.

"STEP BACK"

They repeated the move several times pushing back towards the narrower side tunnels that branched off from the main cavern.

"OVER THERE!!!"

Several men had noticed a new threat, the first Legionaries that had fallen to their wounds had begun to turn. Several had gotten to their feet and had started to sprint towards the few men drawing back towards a side tunnel in the cave.

"SHIT, WERE SURROUND, WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON"

Puzzled & terrified by the new threat the small band of men shattered into complete panic running away in all directions & dropping their heavy shields. They didn't make it far as the Celtic & Roman Immortuorm closed in on them. Howling in agony they were ripped apart by dozens of undead warriors.

The tide had turned against the Romans, many of those that had drank the waters of cave had started to turn, their own wounded were also now turning against them. In the confusion the Legion was broken. Drust managed to sprint to the cave entrance where the Legionaries that had seen what was happening, had started to pile rocks to block off the tunnel which they had retreated into.

Only four men made it to the cave entrance. Six men had filled the last gap in the rock wall.

"That will have to do, we make for the guard posted at the entrance" Said Drust.

"Yes, sir we should be OK only a few scratches on the lads."

"How many?" Said Drust.

"Well sir, a couple of those things jumped us one was swinging for the hills, he got me on the arm almost tore the skin clean off, that thing had a grip I can tell you."

"What about the others?"

"Same deal, just scratches & a few bruises, only six men made it sir, plus your four we are only 10 men now"

"Right lets get to the entrance" Ordered Drust, he was now in command of this small band of men"

The Romans made their way back to the entrance, shock had started to set in. Some of the younger lads had started to sob at the fresh memory of the carnage they had just been witness to. "Pray to Fortuna that we get out of this alive lads" Said Drust.

The sobbing stopped as they reach the guard left at the entrance to the tomb. "WHAT IN HADES" said Drust.

The Guard had been wiped out when the earthquake & landslide collapsed the cavern entrance.

"FUCK, FUCK... What are we..."

"SHUT IT" Said Drust, "You feel that"

The rumbling had returned, the cracking and splintering of rock & granite could be heard, suddenly the floor of the cavern gave way & the men fell into the black abyss. Sliding into the darkness, they came to a halt with a heavy grunt as they hit the smooth hard floor of the room below the altar knock the wind from their lungs.

Several men had been killed in the fall. Four men had been crushed under a boulder that fell on them leaving only twitching limbs protruding from underneath the massive stone. Another had his head smashed on the floor & blood pooled around his lifeless body. The last had landed on several stalagmites killing him instantly as the rock points pierced his skull & body.

Only Four men remained in the darkness.

"WHO IS LEFT ALIVE?" shouted Drust.

"HERE"

"I'm OK, I think"

"We gotta get out of here, I'll need some strong wine after all this, fuck me"

"Enough, we need to start thinking about how the fuck we are getting out of this cave" Drust snarled.

"Well what is your bright idea, SIR"

"WATCH IT LAD OR I'LL HAVE YOU ON A FUCKING CHARGE"

"HAHA, Ya OK, you do that if we ever get out of here alive."

"Stop this now, the both of you"

"Shut the fuck up Persian slave"

"WHAT, I am no Persian, You can only dream of the land where I come from far to the east where the sun rises, Barbarian!"

"SHUT UP THE PAIR OF YOU"

"I feel like I might throw up"

"You Armenians have such a weak stomach"

"SHUT UP YOU GERMANIC PIG"

"ENOUGH, every word gives our position away to those undead bastards out there. Now shut the fuck up & stay quiet"

"WHO put you in charge CELT?"

"THE FUCK ROMAN LEGION, that's who mate, you know the chain of command, now tow the line Richart"

"YES SIR"

"What about you two, names & ranks"

"NIKOLAY, I was shipped to this shit hole from the Armenian auxiliaries out of Roma"

"And you? Persian is it?"

"I told you I am not a Persian"

"Yeah yeah, name & rank Legionary?"

"Tomoko, I was a captured far from here, the other side of the Persian lands. I was made a Roman slave when the 12th Legion crushed a Persian army near your lands borders"

"Not my land mate, I'm a CELT" Said Drust.

"My island lies to the west of here, I joined the legion to see the world, now I might die in this fucking cave"

"Right lads, introductions over lets find a way out of this hole."

The four men stood and slowly felt out into the darkness.

"Over here, I found the wall" Said Drust.

"Do you feel that breeze? this way" Said Richart.

"Watch your step there, there are steps here" Nikolay had found the way out.

Slowly they climbed the spiral stairs into the altar chamber above. The cave was now lit by torches that went unseen in the darkness & chaos. The iron smell of blood filled the air yet no bodies were to be seen.

The barefoot prints in the blood on the floor showed the way which the fallen Celtic undead had gone.

"Looks like we're behind them now, stay quiet & follow me. Those bastards had to get in here some how. We can use it to get out." Drust said with conviction.

Just as they started to scan the wall a shadow passed over the torches, for the first time the four saw the skull on the altar glowing red & burning with an evil presence.

"HAHAHAH, HAVING FUN?"

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?" Cried Richart.

"DEMON!!" said Tomoko.

"HAHAHA, I want to play a game"

"FUCK YOU FREAKBAG" snarled Drust.

"OH, fuck I'll need a full barrel of wine now, I've gone to hades, BWWAA" Nikolay spewed vomit as the situation took its toll.

"GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF, ON ME. DRAW YOUR IRON LADS, LETS GIVE THESE GODLESS BLUE NOSE BASTARDS A TASTE OF ROMAN DEATH"

"HAHAHA, your souls are mine FOREVER, KILL THEM ALL"

"HERE THEY COME" Shouted Drust.

"MUUUUUUUUU YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SAM"

Back to back the four face down against hundreds of Roman & Celtic Immortuorum.

"JUGGER-NOG?!" WHAT THE FUCK!

Fade to black.

G6coOXi2cf0

Hope you all enjoyed this. ;)

Regards Alpha.

Edited a bit by MrRoflwaffles (Thanks Milo).

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

The moment Drust started to speak, I knew where you were going with this. It's definitely a tale to get into. I only hope that you continue with this; lots of imagery being used as well as dialogue to actually give the characters some more insight/personality. Now all they need to do is find the staffs, yes? ;)

Thanks Infest, glad you liked it.

I just had the impulse to write this up last night.

I like to read Roman novels, the Eagle series is my favorite & inspired me to get this one typed up.

Also this picture had a influence as you pointed out:

I've always wanted to see this type of outbreak.

No bullets & guns on the walls in this kind of map.

Lots of Melee weapons just like Origins.

For example:

Roman short sword = starting weapon, longer range than the standard knife. One hit kill up to round five.

Cavalry sword = Longer range weaker damage.

Broad sword = Epic range, slow to use & slows the player just like an LMG.

Caltrops = Claymores

Celtic Shield = Wooden small & crap does little damage & breaks after a few hits.

Roman Shield = Zombie Shield, epic fun to use protects your back.

Bow & Arrows

Cross bow.

Mini Ballister.

Sling.

Hand held catapult with lead shot, ammo is refillable with pebbles from the shore of the pool of souls. Interchangeable ammo.

The Staffs.

Naphtha clay grenades

Spears.

Trident.

Mace.

You can upgrade your armor from plated to segmented, adds two hits to health.

The PAP returns.

Hades box from MOTD is here with BO3 weapons.

Perks return with some anicent editions:

Wine of the Gods.

Grinder.

The map would be tunnel & cave based tight corners sharp points in pits, open areas with larger caverns.

You can use the river boat to travel on the water ways in the lower levels.

Higher levels can spell death if jumps are not timed correctly. Die Rise style.

Traps, full scale Ballisters around the map, catapults with flaming rocks.

Hot oil & hot sand traps that pour on the zombies at the pull of a lever.

Quick sand pit.

All manner of booby traps & death devices.

Power is made from a water wheel & other devices.

Evidence of a future visitor are present in the caves.

I could really get deep in to this.

Regards Alpha.

By chance have you had a chance to read Max Brook's The Zombie Survival Guide: Record Attacks?

There was a story in there that dealt with a Roman legion against an overwhelming horde of zombies. I bet it'd be right up your alley.

In case you haven't read it before, here's a free PDF excerpt of Recorded Attacks that features this story

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/record ... xcerpt.pdf

- Mix

• Administrators

Wow, you had me hooked through out the whole piece. You have a real knack for story telling! If they made a prequel to well origins and it followed this storyline I would be completely content. Possibly taking the idea of the cycle and introducing the possibility of the same story continuing during the course of the groups reincarnations. I will most definitely be reading your other story.

• 3 months later...