The Paralyzer & Michael Faraday

• Administrators

At this point in time, I’m fairly confident that everyone has encountered the Paralyzer in our brand new mode, Buried. There’s no resisting slowing down zombies until they ultimately disintegrate. But let’s face it - you probably just enjoy it for its levitation ability, huh? Fwoosh, swoosh! Substitute jetpacks are so much fun! While all that is fun to tinker with, how about a brief explanation of the inventor of such a mechanism?

In order to better understand the Paralyzer, we must look into its potential creator - Michael Faraday.

Kudos to MuderMachineX for the discovery of Michael Faraday’s involvement in Buried!

Life of an Inventor

Michael Faraday was born on 22 September 1791 in south London. His family was not well off and Faraday received only a basic formal education. When he was 14, he was apprenticed to a local bookbinder and during the next seven years, educated himself by reading books on a wide range of scientific subjects. In 1812, Faraday attended four lectures given by the chemist Humphry Davy at the Royal Institution. Faraday subsequently wrote to Davy asking for a job as his assistant. Davy turned him down but in 1813 appointed him to the job of chemical assistant at the Royal Institution.

A year later, Faraday was invited to accompany Davy and his wife on an 18 month European tour, taking in France, Switzerland, Italy and Belgium and meeting many influential scientists. On their return in 1815, Faraday continued to work at the Royal Institution, helping with experiments for Davy and other scientists. In 1821 he published his work on electromagnetic rotation (the principle behind the electric motor). He was able to carry out little further research in the 1820s, busy as he was with other projects. In 1826, he founded the Royal Institution's Friday Evening Discourses and in the same year the Christmas Lectures, both of which continue to this day. He himself gave many lectures, establishing his reputation as the outstanding scientific lecturer of his time.

However, in the early 1840s, Faraday's health began to deteriorate and he did less research. He died on 25 August 1867 at Hampton Court, where he had been given official lodgings in recognition of his contribution to science. He gave his name to the 'farad', originally describing a unit of electrical charge but later a unit of electrical capacitance.

Electricity, Magnetism, and Phenomenons

In 1820 Hans Christian Oersted (1777-1851) had discovered the first link between electricity and magnetism. Oersted found that when a magnetic compass is held near a wire that carries an electric current the needle of the compass (which is a tiny bar magnet) is always deflected to a point at right angles to the wire. The experiment implied that an electric current produces a magnetic force that influences the compass needle.

When Faraday read of Oersted’s experiment he like other members of the scientific community became very excited and decided to investigate it on his own. In September 1821 Faraday demonstrated “electromagnetic rotation” by showing that a current-carrying wire could be made to rotate around a fixed magnet. This was the first primitive electric motor. Sixty years after of Faraday’s demonstration electric trains were running in Germany, UK and the USA.

Unfortunately this experiment triggered off a rift between Faraday and his mentor Davy that was never healed. Davy thought that Faraday had overheard a discussion between Davy and William Hyde Wollaston (1766-1828). Faraday admitted that he may have gotten a start from the discussion between Davy and Wollaston but his apparatus was substantially different and the effect demonstrated by Faraday was completely different from the effect predicted by Wollaston. History has put its stamp on the originality of Faraday.

After discovering the electromagnetic rotation Faraday wanted to convert magnetism into electricity that is the reverse of what Oersted did–electricity was converted into magnetism. In 1831 Faraday demonstrated that when a magnet is moved past a wire, or pushed into the mount of coil of wire while the magnet is moving it creates an electric current in the wire. This discovery formed the basis of the electricity generator or dynamo, in which electricity is produced by rotating magnets that move swiftly past coils of wire. Faraday found that by combining mechanical motion with magnetism he could produce electric current. He detected the presence of electric current when he moved the coil of wire over the magnet but when he let the magnet just sit motionless inside the coil of wire there was no electric current. This was the principle of electromagnetic induction or the basic principle of electric generator or dynamo. Joseph Henry (1797-1878), an American physicist, had also come up with an excellent demonstration of this idea. However, he never published it. On the other hand, Faraday pursued his work with extraordinary single-mindedness and got the credit for its discovery. Henry had accepted Faraday’s originality.

It is said that the then British Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850) after seeing a demonstration of the dynamo effect asked Faraday what use the discovery was. Faraday replied, “I know not, but I wager that one day your government will tax it.” Faraday himself did not try to develop the practical applications of his discoveries. Rather he became deeply interested in understanding how electricity and magnetism are related to each other.

It was Faraday who showed that the various types of electricity – static, voltaic, animal and thermoelectric – were the same.

Faraday’s work on electrolysis had far reaching implication. In 1934, he formulated his famous laws of electrolysis which govern all that happen in electrochemical technology and industry.

Faraday’s pioneering research in electrochemistry created the necessity of coining some appropriate terms to describe his work. With the help of his friend Whewell Faraday coined a number of terms which are being commonly used till date: anode (from the Greek ana for ‘up’ and hodos for ‘road’, cathode (from the Greek, Kata for ‘down’), ion (for ‘wanderer’ in Greek) and consequently anion or cation. He also coined the terms `electrolyte’ and `electrode’.

It was Faraday who created the notion of a ‘field’ to describe electrical and magnetic forces. Since his childhood Faraday had a profound belief in the inter- connection and unity of natural forces and phenomena. Faraday said : “I have long held an opinion, almost amounting to conviction, in common I believe with many other lovers of natural knowledge, that the various forms under which the forces of matter are made manifest have one common origin; or in other words, are so directly related and mutually dependent, that they are convertible, as it were, one into another, and possess equivalents of power in their action’. He thought that his field theory and his findings on the interrelatedness of magnetism, electricity and motion contributed to his vision of unity of natural forces and phenomena. Faraday’s belief in the fundamental unity of nature was vindicated by subsequent works of James Prescott Joule (1818-89), Joseph John Thomson (1856-1940), Harmann Ludwig Ferdinand von Helmholtz (1821-94), Rudolf Julius Emmanuel Clausius (1822-88) and James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79).

Faraday’s Paralyzer

The weapon itself is a monolithic device and considerably heavy one as well. When utilized on an active organism, it slows them down and at one point, seems to paralyze them. Using the weapon in long durations will continuously slow their movements down until they are shown to implode or disintegrate in a short burst. Let’s explore the science behind such a contraption.

Faraday is widely known for his discoveries in electromagnetic induction, diamagnetism, and electrolysis. The Paralyzer can be seen with elliptical magnetic rings revolving around one another near the front of the weapon. A large motor is found towards the rear of the weapon which holds as the power source, possibly holding a large amount of electricity. The cylinder between the magnets and the motor is what channels the energy from electricity to the tips, called the span, of the device. The span or tail itself does not protrude the energy delivered, but rather focuses the said energy to expand.

Electricity that is stored within the motor passes through the inner tube of the weapon. When passing through, however, the revolving frame (ellipticals) creates a magnetic field that propels the electric particles from the original energy source (electricity). As the trigger is held down and the motor is activated, the magnets revolve faster and faster to absorb the particles and energy. The electricity that is used returns back into the motor to allow infinite energy renewal as result of an electromagnetic conductor inside the motor itself. Once the energy passes from the magnetic orbitals, the energy is now distributed out of the weapon. The span/tail concentrates the energy into a rather large circumference - or size - to allow multiple objects to interact with the energy. Because the energy is still magnetized, it may also deliver a sufficient amount of electrical energy to cause paralysis.

But Lithium, then how can we fly all over the environment? Electromagnetism is not found in gravity, so we can’t say that it is involved in it. When propelling such excessive amount of magnetic energy onto a surface that cannot be affected by the particles, it may actually oppose gravity for a brief moment. It’s not reversing gravity, but using the energy the push away from a given surface. Think of water jetpacks if you want a vivid image of how this could work.

It’s a wild theory, yes. But with the referencing of Michael Faraday, a long-time famous inventor with inventions that even inspired Nikola Tesla and Albert Einstein, there seems to be a strong relation between him and this interesting device. Perhaps there are more mechanisms that he is responsible for on this map, including the power grid within the abandoned town.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the mention. And all this about Michael Faraday is interesting and all, but I don't think he is responsible for the Paralyzer. I think Maxis is.

The Paralyzer isn't just about electricity. It uses ethereal energy. You can see the purple mist that comes out of it is the same as Sarah Faraday / the ghost lady. It probably has electricity, but it is the ethereal energy that powers it, which is why the ammo is "infinite". It also has temporal effects, much like the Time Bomb. The zombies you kill with it literally slow down. How can you fly with it? You are literally slowing your descent. You are failing to fall compared to the time around you. You are simply failing to fall. (A simple push allows you to go upward.)

Maxis says he was trying to learn about ethereal energy. I propose that he succeeded. He certainly had the know-how. And placing him here fits perfectly with him being MIA in a tunnel.

So, I don't think it is Michael Faraday simply because I think Maxis is a better candidate. I think it is why we were given that Maxis Diary.

• Administrators

Thank you for not ripping into me entirely. :lol: I knew that I was not even 80% correct, but the concept of using magnets and electricity can still be applied to this. Just probably not in Faraday's name, I am afraid.

So would you say that Maxis was here long enough to create this device, or even use it to some extent? If made with ethereal energy, then for what reason?

Certainly the technology can be applied. Faraday certainly had a hand in the electronics there. So this thing, even if it was built by Maxis, it was built with technology he had a hand in. But I do think Maxis was the mind behind it. Maxis was there for about a month. And since Maxis was a genius, I don't think it took him that long to make it.

It seems Maxis cares a lot for his daughter. I think he was trying to use it to get her back to him. Because at this time, he didn't know she was trapped in the MPD. He just thought she was probably dead. In fact, I think he might've been partially successful in bringing her back using ethereal energy, and that's where we get Sarah Faraday. It worked, but with two consequences: (1) wrong person, (2) not human.

MMX is right on the use of ethereal (aka spiritual energy) as by any normal scientific means the paralyzer can't even exist.

The first and second laws of thermodynamics declare that. Any perpetual motion machine violates the conservation of energy. Firstlaw states energy can't be created or destroyed, this basically means energy in a system can change to a different kind of energy but will never renew itself as there is no such thing as infinite energy. It is always changes forms to different almost unusable energy but is not destroyed(the battery will eventually run out). Second law states you can't get something for nothing. This means the energy in the system once used up and changed to a form that the system can't use the system can't work. Total energy in equals total energy out. Can't put in 10j of energy and magically expect 20j out.

Of course this is all in the physical realm where we use the conventional energy and not the magical energy of the aether.

MMX is right on the use of ethereal (aka spiritual energy) as by any normal scientific means the paralyzer can't even exist.

The first and second laws of thermodynamics declare that. Any perpetual motion machine violates the conservation of energy. Firstlaw states energy can't be created or destroyed, this basically means energy in a system can change to a different kind of energy but will never renew itself as there is no such thing as infinite energy. It is always changes forms to different almost unusable energy but is not destroyed(the battery will eventually run out). Second law states you can't get something for nothing. This means the energy in the system once used up and changed to a form that the system can't use the system can't work. Total energy in equals total energy out. Can't put in 10j of energy and magically expect 20j out.

Of course this is all in the physical realm where we use the conventional energy and not the magical energy of the aether.

Thanks. I think the Paralyzer runs off of ethereal energy, which comes from another dimension. The dimension seems to be full of this energy. So, it's not really infinite ammo. It is just pulling energy from another location, another dimension.

EDIT: That thing in the Nuketown loading screen was a nuclear spacecraft.

I wasn't aware that Maxis spent a month in the tunnel he mentions in the radios... must've missed that. :?

But yes, I agree that the Paralyzer may be the work of Maxis. He might have been attempting to create a weapon to summon Samantha from the ethereal realm, but instead resurrected Sarah Faraday.

Though I agree that Michael Faraday is responsible for the electricity present on the map.

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

I did some researching with @Tac on vril and came across a very surprising discovery on Faraday's relationship with vril energy:

http://thirdreichocculthistory.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-vril.html

The excerpt containing the information is here:

These people consider that in vril they have arrived at the unity in natural energetic agencies, which has been conjectured by many philosophers above ground, and which Faraday thus intimates under the more cautious term of correlation: ‘I have long held an opinion,’ says that illustrious experimentalist, ‘almost amounting to a conviction, in common, I believe, with many other lovers of natural knowledge, that the various forms under which the forces of matter are made manifest have one common origin; or, in other words, are so directly related and mutually dependent, that they are convertible, as it were, into one another, and possess equivalents of power in their action.’

Although Faraday doesn't specifically mention vril, he insisted that several forms of matter consist of the same origin. It's very plausible that he was aware of vril's power and assumed that if the fictionous energy was actually true, then hypothetically, all variation of matter were composed of vril. I decided to rejuvinate this topic because it sheds a lot of light in Faraday's involvement with Buried, since vril energy is very similar (if not identical to) ethereal energy. And we've come to know that the Paralyzer itself runs on ethereal energy.

This is interesting because the animations for how a zombie comes apart isn't like the jet gun or a grenade on insta-kill. The weapon deliberately destroys a zombie's torso first and then slowly pulls the rest of it apart. 

Furthermore, flying isn't actually flying, it's more of being PUSHED against a magnet, that's why if you push off the floor you gain height and no force is pulling you down, but if you fall and shoot, you slowly descend because there is force initially pushing you down. 

SO, with that logic, one can assume the force of the paralyzer's electromagnetic pull is equal to the force of gravity's electro-feild. When a force against gravity is disrupted constantly in a  confined space this can pull apart the fields within it, like the ones holding a zombie together. 

• Administrators

@Stop mocking me0 I actually mentioned it after detailing Faraday's life:

But Lithium, then how can we fly all over the environment? Electromagnetism is not found in gravity, so we can’t say that it is involved in it. When propelling such excessive amount of magnetic energy onto a surface that cannot be affected by the particles, it may actually oppose gravity for a brief moment. It’s not reversing gravity, but using the energy the push away from a given surface. Think of water jetpacks if you want a vivid image of how this could work. 

I said fly as a generalization, I'll admit that. I got so excited piecing the two together that the word just slipped right out of my fingers. ;)

• Administrators

I'd like to mention that Faraday is mentioned by name in Vril: The Coming Race, the book that many of us believe the developers have looked at heavily. Here's an excerpt of the book, which includes @'s previous quote:

"What is the vril?" I asked.

Therewith Zee began to enter into an explanation of which I understood very little, for there is no word in any language I know which is an exact synonym for vril. I should call it electricity, except that it comprehends in its manifold branches other forces of nature, to which, in our scientific nomenclature, differing names are assigned, magnetism, galvanism, etc. These people consider that in vril they have arrived at the unity in natural energetic agencies, which has been conjectured by many philosophers above the ground, and which Faraday thus intimates under the more cautious term of correlation:--

"I have long held an opinion," says that illustrious experimentalist, "almost amounting to a conviction, in common, I believe, with many other lovers of natural knowledge, that the various forms under which the forces of matter are made manifest, have one common origin; or, in other words, are so directly related and mutually dependent, that they are convertible, as it were, into one another, and possess equivalents of power in their action."

These subterranean philosophers assert that by one operation of vril, which Faraday would perhaps call "atmospheric magnetism," they can influence the variations of temperature--in plain words, the weather; that by operations, akin to those ascribed to mesmerism, electro-biology, odic force, etc., but applied scientifically, through vril conductors, can exercise influence over minds, and bodies animal and vegetable, to an extent not surpassed in the romances of our mystics. To all such agencies they give the common name of vril.

So first and foremost, we can see a clear connection between the book and Faraday, and that what he was describing was Vril. I feel confident in saying that he created the Paralyzer and anything else in Buried that is regarding Vril or ethereal energy, as I'm convinced they're the same thing.