Mictlantecuhtli: The Man Behind it All

EricMaynard

First of all, I want to thank MixMasterNut, his Nuketown loading screen analysis inspired this thread.

"Who is Mictlantecuhtli?"

Mictlantecuhtli (Nahuatl pronunciation: [mikt͡ɬaːnˈtekʷt͡ɬi], meaning "Lord of Mictlan"), in Aztec mythology, was a god of the dead and the king of Mictlan (Chicunauhmictlan), the lowest and northernmost section of the underworld. He was one of the principal gods of the Aztecs and was the most prominent of several gods and goddesses of death and the underworld. The worship of Mictlantecuhtli sometimes involved ritual cannibalism, with human flesh being consumed in and around the temple.

"Where is Mictlantecuhtli in Zombies?"

As you can see, and see better in MixMasterNut's thread, he is referenced in the Nuketown Zombies loading screen by a package of bubble gum. Once seeing him here, I was prompted to do more research.

In Mob of the Dead, the dead are in the Underworld of Mictlan, which is what he rules over.

"The dead had to pass many challenges, such as crossing a mountain range where the mountains crashed into each other, a field with wind that blew flesh-scraping knives, and a river of blood with fearsome jaguars."

Recognize the flesh scraping knives?

And then, the final piece of the puzzle, that put it all together for me.

As we all know, The Flesh are a cult which consume zombie flesh, and perhaps receive some sort of benefit from it, as they seem to be safe from the infected. "The worship of Mictlantecuhtli sometimes involved ritual cannibalism, with human flesh being consumed in and around the temple." Him being over all souls as well, explains how the MDT ran on souls, and why souls are so prominent in the story.

Mictlantcuhtli has been the voice in Richtofen's head the entire time! HE helped Richtofen to get in control, to cause an apocalypse, and create the Flesh cult, so worship of HIM could be held for all eternity.

I don't know about you guys, but I reaaaaally like this.

More info added by other users:

bagel_

Day Itzcuintli (Dog, or the 6th day of the 365 day Aztec calender,) is governed by Mictlantecuhtli, God of Death, as its provider of tonalli (Shadow Soul) life energy. Itzcuintli is the guide for the dead, the spirit world's link with the living. Itzcuintli is a good day for funerals and wakes and remembering the dead. It is a good day for being trustworthy, a bad day for trusting others of questionable intent.

Looks like this can reflect on listening to Maxis/Richtofen, and Sal, Finn, and Billy listening to Weasel. They ended up dead, so the 6th day happened to be good for that. Apparently in Spanish, Mict is actually the same as Lucifer. Even more interesting, Jan 1st 1939 is the 6th day, or dog day, of the Aztec 365 day calendar. I think it's safe to say we know where we are in the Aztec world.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say, I really like this too my friend. Those are two great connections you've made. I like that you addressed the zombies with knives in them on MotD. I've yet to hear anything about that, you got to be the first to touch on it.

Well researched and well formatted, just like I like it.

Thanks for posting this! I look forward to seeing more theories from you Eric!

Very nice job! One more thing about good ol' Mict:

Day Itzcuintli (Dog, or the 6th day of the 365 day Aztec calender,) is governed by Mictlantecuhtli, God of Death, as its provider of tonalli (Shadow Soul) life energy. Itzcuintli is the guide for the dead, the spirit world's link with the living. Itzcuintli is a good day for funerals and wakes and remembering the dead. It is a good day for being trustworthy, a bad day for trusting others of questionable intent.

Looks like this can reflect on listening to Maxis/Richtofen, and Sal, Finn, and Billy listening to Weasel. They ended up dead, so the 6th day happened to be good for that. Apparently in Spanish, Mict is actually the same as Lucifer. Even more interesting, Jan 1st 1939 is the 6th day, or dog day, of the Aztec 365 day calendar. I think it's safe to say we know where we are in the Aztec world.

Also, though I couldn't find my source, I heard that he also had a pack of wild dogs that ate his enemies, like Cerberus, but instead of one three headed dog, hundreds of them.

Awesome connection, makes great sense and another thing that peaked my interest was the jaguar blood, which sounds similar to the blood filled bathtubs in the infirmary. Maybe its just me but hey I love this theory!

Great work mate!

Awesome connection, makes great sense and another thing that peaked my interest was the jaguar blood, which sounds similar to the blood filled bathtubs in the infirmary. Maybe its just me but hey I love this theory!

Great work mate!

Thanks, also another quick note: Most of the Music (ESPECIALLY the infirmary theme) in MotD sounds very Aztec-esque. And music was a HUGE focus of this map.

Coincidence? Or a hint from Treyarch.

Is it me or does this prove my point even more!!!

Thanks, also another quick note: Most of the Music (ESPECIALLY the infirmary theme) in MotD sounds very Aztec-esque. And music was a HUGE focus of this map.

Is it me or does this prove my point even more!!!

And that further proves your point and mine. There is another thing bugging me, and that is what is behind the doors of CD Street. The door that is at the beginning and can't be bought. Its blocked on both ends and you can't peek inside. Similar locations are the stairs opposite of the stairs leading to the infirmary from the cafeteria........ Just curious.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...