ADFGX cipher

Silver_Is_Pro

If it's five letters, try VOLTS or POWER?

clearly you don't read the threads you post in.

Okay, let's get this out of the way.

There are two things you need to solve this cypher.

Yes, the keyword is one of them, but you only have 6! combinations (assuming we are seeing one step before the final step of rewriting it once more) which is 720 combination.

These 720 combinations would cover any possible word you could think of, and here is why. The keyword is used only to be put into alphabetical order. (Example: POWERS becomes EOPRSW) This means that several words could give the same result as another word. (Example: WARDEN would become ADENRW, this would give the same result as if the code-word were just FAEBCD)

We can further deduce that the last two rows are in fact the first two letters of code-word since they have more letters in them (example: ZOMBIE becomes BEIOMZ) however, as we learned above that word would be the same as a similarly alphabetized word (Example ZOMBIE is the same as FEACB)

Using this assumption we can reduce the number of possibilities to 2! + 4! because we know there are only 2 possibilities for each of the first two positions and then there are 4 possibilities for each of the remaining 4 positions. This gives us 26 different "words" that could be used as key words.

If the keyword was the only thing we needed then this could be solved in minutes by a person. Let alone by a computer.

However, even if the codeword was ZOMBIES using it in the decoding method of an ADFGX cypher would yield

XF FF FF DG FF FG GA GG FG FA FX DD FF DG GD AX GD FG GF GG FF GX FF GF FD FF FF FX FA DX AX GG GX FF

As you can tell that's not solved. However, each letter pair represents a single letter, that's where the final decoding happens and where the cypher gets it's name

_|A|D|F|G|X|

A|A|B|C|D|E|

D|F|G|H|I|K|

F|L|M|N|O|P|

G|Q|R|S|T|U|

X|V|W|X|Y|Z|

That looks a little complicated but the way it goes is the first letter is XD so you find X down and F across. That letter would be X, if you continue to do this with all of the letters you will get XNNINOQTOLPGNIREROSTNUNSMNNPLKETUN.

Now as you can tell that doesn't look solved either. So what gives? The answer lies in the second level of encryption. X down and F across doesn't always have to be X. It can be any one of 25 letters (J is excluded and I is used for both J and I)

What this means is that there are 25 letters possible for the first spot and 24 for the second (because you can't have repeating letters) and 23 for the third. If you continue this method you have 25! different possible 5x5 squares.

That number is 15,511,210,043,330,985,984,000,000, or 15 septillion (or quadrillion in long scale for you Brits) and that's what makes this cipher so hard to crack. If it were merely guessing the right word we would have been done long ago.

This is of course assuming we are using an ADFGX and not an ADFGVX (which we assume because there are no V's but it doesn't make it impossible) this would give us a 6x6 grid and give us 3.7x10^41 or 37 tredecillion (or septillion in long scale) possible combinations.

So until you figure out this grid then we are a far cry from solving this thing.

Alternatively, if you know for sure that you have the correct keyword you can solve it down into any 5x5 square and solve it cryptoquip style.

For example: THE KING OF TOAST IS AWESOME would become (on my own random square) it would become AGFFFXXFFDDXGAFFXDDGFXXGXXADXFFDDFXXFFAFAAXXFD.

Now if I told you the keyword was ZOMBIE and you take that encryption and decode it with the square I have above (ABCDE...) it would become CVNMTWBXGCXKZCTZKLNZXHN

You then basically guess which letters become which other letters, if I space it out it becomes apparent that C=T V=H N=E and so on:

CVN MTWB XG CXKZC TZ KLNZXHN

THE KING OF TOAST IS AWESOME

However in the case of this cypher we do not know where the space belong, thus making this a very difficult nut to crack.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thought.

Linked to the "Where do we go" song, there's a key posted under Kevin's Youtube video that i've been trying to figure out in relation to the DNA base sequence in the video. I've only just seen this thread and my uneducated brain doesn't quite understand how the cypher works.. yet. But the following is posted on the video:

a=A

c=C

g=G

Any use?

• 2 years later...

I have been looking for clues for the word length in MOTD and need some help deciding if this is a striking coincidence or its the letter count for the words in the message

The message length is 34 characters

Two of the prisoner numbers you enter into the number pad i got from cod wiki (hope there right) are 872 and 386

8+7+2 = 17

3+8+6 = 17

17 + 17 = 34

What do you think ?

Can someone confirm the numbers 872 and 386 are the actual numbers used in MOTD ?

UPDATE

I built all 48 possible combinations of the message and calculated frequencies for them

There in a zip file here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6c0qzo4k11lo6yx/ADFGX_UPDATE.zip?dl=0

The analysis is not complete in every file but the combination and frequencies is

I also put every message combination underneath each other in order of the list

Spoiler

GD FF GX GF GF FA GF GG DD FF FF XX FG FD GF FG FD GF FF FD GG AA FG FG DX FX FX GF XF XD FF FA GG AF
GD FF XG GF GF AF GF GG DD FF FF XX FG FD FG FG FD FG FF FD GG AA FG GF DX FX XF GF XF DX FF FA GG AF 
GD FG FX GF GF FA GF GD GD FF FX FX FG FG DF FG FG DF FF FG DG AA FF GG DX FF XX GF XX FD FF FG AG AF
GD FG XF GF GF AF GF GD DG FF FX XF FG FG FD FG FG FD FF FG GD AA FF GG DX FF XX GF XX DF FF FG GA AF
GD FX FG GF GA FF GF GD GD FF FX FX FG FF DG FG FF DG FF FG DG AA FG GF DX FX XF GF XD FX FF FG AG AF   
GD FX GF GF GA FF GF GD DG FF FX XF FG FF GD FG FF GD FF FG GD AA FG FG DX FX FX GF XD XF FF FG GA AF
GD FF GX GF FG FA GF GG DD FF FF XX FG DF GF FG DF GF FF DF GG AA GF FG DX XF FX GF FX XD FF AF GG AF
GD FF XG GF FG AF GF GG DD FF FF XX FG DF FG FG DF FG FF DF GG AA GF GF DX XF XF GF FX DX FF AF GG AF
GD FG FX GF FF GA GF GD GD FF FX FX FG DG FF FG DG FF FF DG FG AA GF FG DX XF FX GF FX XD FF AG FG AF
GD FG XF GF FF AG GF GD DG FF FX XF FG DG FF FG DG FF FF DG GF AA GF GF DX XF XF GF FX DX FF AG GF AF
GD FX FG GF FA GF GF GD GD FF FX FX FG DF FG FG DF FG FF DG FG AA GG FF DX XX FF GF FD XX FF AG FG AF
GD FX GF GF FA FG GF GD DG FF FX XF FG DF GF FG DF GF FF DG GF AA GG FF DX XX FF GF FD XX FF AG GF AF 
GD GF FX GF FG FA GF DG GD FF XF FX FG GF DF FG GF DF FF GF DG AA FF GG DX FF XX GF XX FD FF GF AG AF
GD GF XF GF FG AF GF DG DG FF XF XF FG GF FD FG GF FD FF GF GD AA FF GG DX FF XX GF XX DF FF GF GA AF
GD GF FX GF FF GA GF DG GD FF XF FX FG GD FF FG GD FF FF GD FG AA FG FG DX FX FX GF XF XD FF GA FG AF
GD GF XF GF FF AG GF DG DG FF XF XF FG GD FF FG GD FF FF GD GF AA FG GF DX FX XF GF XF DX FF GA GF AF
GD GX FF GF FA GF GF DD GG FF XX FF FG GF FD FG GF FD FF GG FD AA FG FG DX FX FX GF XD XF FF GG FA AF
GD GX FF GF FA FG GF DD GG FF XX FF FG GF DF FG GF DF FF GG DF AA FG GF DX FX XF GF XD FX FF GG AF AF
GD XF FG GF AG FF GF DG GD FF XF FX FG FF DG FG FF DG FF GF DG AA GF GF DX XF XF GF DX FX FF GF AG AF
GD XF GF GF AG FF GF DG DG FF XF XF FG FF GD FG FF GD FF GF GD AA GF FG DX XF FX GF DX XF FF GF GA AF
GD XF FG GF AF GF GF DG GD FF XF FX FG FD FG FG FD FG FF GD FG AA GG FF DX XX FF GF DF XX FF GA FG AF
GD XF GF GF AF FG GF DG DG FF XF XF FG FD GF FG FD GF FF GD GF AA GG FF DX XX FF GF DF XX FF GA GF AF
GD XG FF GF AF GF GF DD GG FF XX FF FG FG FD FG FG FD FF GG FD AA GF FG DX XF FX GF DX XF FF GG FA AF
GD XG FF GF AF FG GF DD GG FF XX FF FG FG DF FG FG DF FF GG DF AA GF GF DX XF XF GF DX FX FF GG AF AF
DG FF GX FG GF FA FG GG DD FF FF XX GF FD GF GF FD GF FF FD GG AA FG FG XD FX FX FG XF XD FF FA GG FA 
DG FF XG FG GF AF FG GG DD FF FF XX GF FD FG GF FD FG FF FD GG AA FG GF XD FX XF FG XF DX FF FA GG FA
DG FG FX FG GF FA FG GD GD FF FX FX GF FG DF GF FG DF FF FG DG AA FF GG XD FF XX FG XX FD FF FG AG FA
DG FG XF FG GF AF FG GD DG FF FX XF GF FG FD GF FG FD FF FG GD AA FF GG XD FF XX FG XX DF FF FG GA FA
DG FX FG FG GA FF FG GD GD FF FX FX GF FF DG GF FF DG FF FG DG AA FG GF XD FX XF FG XD FX FF FG AG FA
DG FX GF FG GA FF FG GD DG FF FX XF GF FF GD GF FF GD FF FG GD AA FG FG XD FX FX FG XD XF FF FG GA FA
DG FF GX FG FG FA FG GG DD FF FF XX GF DF GF GF DF GF FF DF GG AA GF FG XD XF FX FG FX XD FF AF GG FA
DG FF XG FG FG AF FG GG DD FF FF XX GF DF FG GF DF FG FF DF GG AA GF GF XD XF XF FG FX DX FF AF GG FA
DG FG FX FG FF GA FG GD GD FF FX FX GF DG FF GF DG FF FF DG FG AA GF FG XD XF FX FG FX XD FF AG FG FA 
DG FG XF FG FF AG FG GD DG FF FX XF GF DG FF GF DG FF FF DG GF AA GF GF XD XF XF FG FX DX FF AG GF FA
DG FX FG FG FA GF FG GD GD FF FX FX GF DF FG GF DF FG FF DG FG AA GG FF XD XX FF FG FD XX FF AG FG FA
DG FX GF FG FA FG FG GD DG FF FX XF GF DF GF GF DF GF FF DG GF AA GG FF XD XX FF FG FD XX FF AG GF FA
DG GF FX FG FG FA FG DG GD FF XF FX GF GF DF GF GF DF FF GF DG AA FF GG XD FF XX FG XX FD FF GF AG FA   
DG GF XF FG FG AF FG DG DG FF XF XF GF GF FD GF GF FD FF GF GD AA FF GG XD FF XX FG XX DF FF GF GA FA
DG GF FX FG FF GA FG DG GD FF XF FX GF GD FF GF GD FF FF GD FG AA FG FG XD FX FX FG XF XD FF GA FG FA
DG GF XF FG FF AG FG DG DG FF XF XF GF GD FF GF GD FF FF GD GF AA FG GF XD FX XF FG XF DX FF GA GF FA
DG GX FF FG FA GF FG DD GG FF XX FF GF GF FD GF GF FD FF GG FD AA FG FG XD FX FX FG XD XF FF GG FA FA
DG GX FF FG FA FG FG DD GG FF XX FF GF GF DF GF GF DF FF GG DF AA FG GF XD FX XF FG XD FX FF GG AF FA
DG XF FG FG AG FF FG DG GD FF XF FX GF FF DG GF FF DG FF GF DG AA GF GF XD XF XF FG DX FX FF GF AG FA
DG XF GF FG AG FF FG DG DG FF XF XF GF FF GD GF FF GD FF GF GD AA GF FG XD XF FX FG DX XF FF GF GA FA 
DG XF FG FG AF GF FG DG GD FF XF FX GF FD FG GF FD FG FF GD FG AA GG FF XD XX FF FG DF XX FF GA FG FA
DG XF GF FG AF FG FG DG DG FF XF XF GF FD GF GF FD GF FF GD GF AA GG FF XD XX FF FG DF XX FF GA GF FA
DG XG FF FG AF GF FG DD GG FF XX FF GF FG FD GF FG FD FF GG FD AA GF FG XD XF FX FG DX XF FF GG FA FA
DG XG FF FG AF FG FG DD GG FF XX FF GF FG DF GF FG DF FF GG DF AA GF GF XD XF XF FG DX FX FF GG AF FA

There is some static letters for all combinations

I also found out that one of the prisoner numbers 101 is also the message length including spaces

68 characters and 33 spaces

I dont know what this means

I know everyone is busy with BO3 but ive been doing this while i cant play , so i thought someone else maybe interested

Would be great if anyone has got any input to share

I found out that there is no AX or XA

Hope you don't mind me triple posting , if its a problem then just delete it or let me know

Spoiler

GD FF GX     GF GF FA GF GG DD       FF FF XX      FG FD GF FG FD GF     FF FD GG     AA FG FG DX FX FX     GF XF XD    FF FA GG AF
GD FF XG     GF GF AF GF GG DD       FF FF XX      FG FD FG FG FD FG     FF FD GG     AA FG GF DX FX XF     GF XF DX    FF FA GG AF 
GD FG FX     GF GF FA GF GD GD       FF FX FX      FG FG DF FG FG DF     FF FG DG     AA FF GG DX FF XX     GF XX FD    FF FG AG AF
GD FG XF     GF GF AF GF GD DG       FF FX XF      FG FG FD FG FG FD     FF FG GD     AA FF GG DX FF XX     GF XX DF    FF FG GA AF
GD FX FG     GF GA FF GF GD GD       FF FX FX      FG FF DG FG FF DG     FF FG DG     AA FG GF DX FX XF     GF XD FX    FF FG AG AF   
GD FX GF     GF GA FF GF GD DG       FF FX XF      FG FF GD FG FF GD     FF FG GD     AA FG FG DX FX FX     GF XD XF    FF FG GA AF
GD FF GX     GF FG FA GF GG DD       FF FF XX      FG DF GF FG DF GF     FF DF GG     AA GF FG DX XF FX     GF FX XD    FF AF GG AF
GD FF XG     GF FG AF GF GG DD       FF FF XX      FG DF FG FG DF FG     FF DF GG     AA GF GF DX XF XF     GF FX DX    FF AF GG AF
GD FG FX     GF FF GA GF GD GD       FF FX FX      FG DG FF FG DG FF     FF DG FG     AA GF FG DX XF FX     GF FX XD    FF AG FG AF
GD FG XF     GF FF AG GF GD DG       FF FX XF      FG DG FF FG DG FF     FF DG GF     AA GF GF DX XF XF     GF FX DX    FF AG GF AF
GD FX FG     GF FA GF GF GD GD       FF FX FX      FG DF FG FG DF FG     FF DG FG     AA GG FF DX XX FF     GF FD XX    FF AG FG AF
GD FX GF     GF FA FG GF GD DG       FF FX XF      FG DF GF FG DF GF     FF DG GF     AA GG FF DX XX FF     GF FD XX    FF AG GF AF 
GD GF FX     GF FG FA GF DG GD       FF XF FX      FG GF DF FG GF DF     FF GF DG     AA FF GG DX FF XX     GF XX FD    FF GF AG AF
GD GF XF     GF FG AF GF DG DG       FF XF XF      FG GF FD FG GF FD     FF GF GD     AA FF GG DX FF XX     GF XX DF    FF GF GA AF
GD GF FX     GF FF GA GF DG GD       FF XF FX      FG GD FF FG GD FF     FF GD FG     AA FG FG DX FX FX     GF XF XD    FF GA FG AF
GD GF XF     GF FF AG GF DG DG       FF XF XF      FG GD FF FG GD FF     FF GD GF     AA FG GF DX FX XF     GF XF DX    FF GA GF AF
GD GX FF     GF FA GF GF DD GG       FF XX FF      FG GF FD FG GF FD     FF GG FD     AA FG FG DX FX FX     GF XD XF    FF GG FA AF
GD GX FF     GF FA FG GF DD GG       FF XX FF      FG GF DF FG GF DF     FF GG DF     AA FG GF DX FX XF     GF XD FX    FF GG AF AF
GD XF FG     GF AG FF GF DG GD       FF XF FX      FG FF DG FG FF DG     FF GF DG     AA GF GF DX XF XF     GF DX FX    FF GF AG AF
GD XF GF     GF AG FF GF DG DG       FF XF XF      FG FF GD FG FF GD     FF GF GD     AA GF FG DX XF FX     GF DX XF    FF GF GA AF
GD XF FG     GF AF GF GF DG GD       FF XF FX      FG FD FG FG FD FG     FF GD FG     AA GG FF DX XX FF     GF DF XX    FF GA FG AF
GD XF GF     GF AF FG GF DG DG       FF XF XF      FG FD GF FG FD GF     FF GD GF     AA GG FF DX XX FF     GF DF XX    FF GA GF AF
GD XG FF     GF AF GF GF DD GG       FF XX FF      FG FG FD FG FG FD     FF GG FD     AA GF FG DX XF FX     GF DX XF    FF GG FA AF
GD XG FF     GF AF FG GF DD GG       FF XX FF      FG FG DF FG FG DF     FF GG DF     AA GF GF DX XF XF     GF DX FX    FF GG AF AF

Spoiler

DG FF GX     FG GF FA FG GG DD       FF FF XX      GF FD GF GF FD GF     FF FD GG     AA FG FG XD FX FX     FG XF XD    FF FA GG FA 
DG FF XG     FG GF AF FG GG DD       FF FF XX      GF FD FG GF FD FG     FF FD GG     AA FG GF XD FX XF     FG XF DX    FF FA GG FA
DG FG FX     FG GF FA FG GD GD       FF FX FX      GF FG DF GF FG DF     FF FG DG     AA FF GG XD FF XX     FG XX FD    FF FG AG FA
DG FG XF     FG GF AF FG GD DG       FF FX XF      GF FG FD GF FG FD     FF FG GD     AA FF GG XD FF XX     FG XX DF    FF FG GA FA
DG FX FG     FG GA FF FG GD GD       FF FX FX      GF FF DG GF FF DG     FF FG DG     AA FG GF XD FX XF     FG XD FX    FF FG AG FA
DG FX GF     FG GA FF FG GD DG       FF FX XF      GF FF GD GF FF GD     FF FG GD     AA FG FG XD FX FX     FG XD XF    FF FG GA FA
DG FF GX     FG FG FA FG GG DD       FF FF XX      GF DF GF GF DF GF     FF DF GG     AA GF FG XD XF FX     FG FX XD    FF AF GG FA
DG FF XG     FG FG AF FG GG DD       FF FF XX      GF DF FG GF DF FG     FF DF GG     AA GF GF XD XF XF     FG FX DX    FF AF GG FA
DG FG FX     FG FF GA FG GD GD       FF FX FX      GF DG FF GF DG FF     FF DG FG     AA GF FG XD XF FX     FG FX XD    FF AG FG FA 
DG FG XF     FG FF AG FG GD DG       FF FX XF      GF DG FF GF DG FF     FF DG GF     AA GF GF XD XF XF     FG FX DX    FF AG GF FA
DG FX FG     FG FA GF FG GD GD       FF FX FX      GF DF FG GF DF FG     FF DG FG     AA GG FF XD XX FF     FG FD XX    FF AG FG FA
DG FX GF     FG FA FG FG GD DG       FF FX XF      GF DF GF GF DF GF     FF DG GF     AA GG FF XD XX FF     FG FD XX    FF AG GF FA
DG GF FX     FG FG FA FG DG GD       FF XF FX      GF GF DF GF GF DF     FF GF DG     AA FF GG XD FF XX     FG XX FD    FF GF AG FA   
DG GF XF     FG FG AF FG DG DG       FF XF XF      GF GF FD GF GF FD     FF GF GD     AA FF GG XD FF XX     FG XX DF    FF GF GA FA
DG GF FX     FG FF GA FG DG GD       FF XF FX      GF GD FF GF GD FF     FF GD FG     AA FG FG XD FX FX     FG XF XD    FF GA FG FA
DG GF XF     FG FF AG FG DG DG       FF XF XF      GF GD FF GF GD FF     FF GD GF     AA FG GF XD FX XF     FG XF DX    FF GA GF FA
DG GX FF     FG FA GF FG DD GG       FF XX FF      GF GF FD GF GF FD     FF GG FD     AA FG FG XD FX FX     FG XD XF    FF GG FA FA
DG GX FF     FG FA FG FG DD GG       FF XX FF      GF GF DF GF GF DF     FF GG DF     AA FG GF XD FX XF     FG XD FX    FF GG AF FA
DG XF FG     FG AG FF FG DG GD       FF XF FX      GF FF DG GF FF DG     FF GF DG     AA GF GF XD XF XF     FG DX FX    FF GF AG FA
DG XF GF     FG AG FF FG DG DG       FF XF XF      GF FF GD GF FF GD     FF GF GD     AA GF FG XD XF FX     FG DX XF    FF GF GA FA 
DG XF FG     FG AF GF FG DG GD       FF XF FX      GF FD FG GF FD FG     FF GD FG     AA GG FF XD XX FF     FG DF XX    FF GA FG FA
DG XF GF     FG AF FG FG DG DG       FF XF XF      GF FD GF GF FD GF     FF GD GF     AA GG FF XD XX FF     FG DF XX    FF GA GF FA
DG XG FF     FG AF GF FG DD GG       FF XX FF      GF FG FD GF FG FD     FF GG FD     AA GF FG XD XF FX     FG DX XF    FF GG FA FA
DG XG FF     FG AF FG FG DD GG       FF XX FF      GF FG DF GF FG DF     FF GG DF     AA GF GF XD XF XF     FG DX FX    FF GG AF FA

• 1 month later...

So like the person that posted above me, I have been working on this why I am unable to be on BO3.

Most of my findings you guys have already mentioned, but theres a few things that I noticed that arn't posted here so I figured I would throw them out there.

We are missing something, and im half tempted to go back to MOTD to check around even more, it's always been my favorite map anyway. But I did notice something on the page that this cipher is located. Above the cipher, there is "something" scribbled out, nowhere else on the page has something scribbled out, it rather has just a simple X through it. So it makes me think that something is hidden under there, some valuable information. There are almost a thousand different possible 6 letter keywords and combined with alternate alphabets theres billions of combinations, it's not possible to just "guess" and we shouldn't have to analyse it when the information is right in front of us we just havn't noticed it yet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2015 at 0:58 PM, Cunambula said:

What are you guys doing...???

Keyword is

Hide contents

Portal

The decoded message reads

Hide contents

The Giant is in France

cant work the first two letters have to be the highest letters in the keyword for it to work right and the devs do not work like a year in advance

• 1 month later...

Can anyone make sense of this crib described in the no1 notes link on the English wiki page

http://www.vectorsite.net/ttcode_04.html#m3

Also has anyone read the Literatur on the german wiki page there is a very interesting pdf there its hosted at the nsa so put your tinfoil hat on  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADFGX

This is also hosted at the NSA https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiN3ZKayfXKAhVB7BQKHTNVDz4QFggkMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nsa.gov%2Fpublic_info%2F_files%2FfriedmanDocuments%2FPublications%2FFOLDER_268%2F41784789082381.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE2Tv616lTQdYMfTZvdO_bsuWeHjQ&sig2=Mr7WsrDkXyZatwSkMWWQeg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RPsMuRf said:

If this code is what some of you say it is the that means that the giant map that we got is in France. sorry if I am wrong but didn't we already know that and why would this be on Mob of the Dead please respond.

If that is the message, it does not refer to the map in Black Ops 3. The Giant map included on Black Ops 3 is located in Poland. However, the giant is in France could mean that the giant robots built by the Germans are in France, specifically at Excavation Site 64. This would fit, seeing as both Mob of the Dead and Origins are in Black Ops 2. I'm still in doubt over that being the decoded message though.

It is NOT "The giant is in France" decoded with keyword "portal"  This IS NOT CORRECT.

I have fallen for this and sadly even supported it at a time, i was a fool. It does not work. It isnt even the right length message.

Anywhoo check out your other thread , its cleaner.

Keyword is supposed to not repeat any letters , but that doeant HAVE to be the case, with a repeated letter , one can lable the first E as E1 and the second E as E2 and then they will be effectively different letters.(E1 would then come before E2 alphabetically) ( I know this makes it even worse, but it IS possible) So maybe i will try Primis and decode, and some other possible key words that have repeat letters, problem is, if we still arent sure about the Polybius (the aphabetical grid) then even the correct key will still reveal jibberish.

You actually dont NEED to have a keyword without repeat letters,  for example lets use the keyword  DECODE , when we are writing out the jibberish underneath the colums D_E_C_O_D_E we will have to mark/remember which letter E is which, but one CAN do this, if you label the first E as E1 and the second E as E2, then when you need to re-arrange D_E_C_O_D_E alphabetically you can do so without messing up which E was which.

Hope that explains the repeat letters in the keyword thing.

, gotta take a break before writing the next part about 6 letter key, but similarly it is based on good logic , but not ironclad.

k, simplified short version ,

since it is written out in chunks of 6 letters , one might assume that it was arranged  6 columns, one column=one letter of keyword

(a bit more to it than that but thats the jist)

p.s. guys, if it does use the repeated letter technique , then the programs/websites we used will not work , and we have to write it out, ( not more than 10 min for the legwork once you get used to it) but with the polybius still in question i would feel hopeless even if i thought it was the right keyword.

I read the thread and im not long with ciphers...

But there are 11x6 and then 2 letters...

If they belong to the cipher  does it mean you have to read from right to left? Beginning from top right:

DG XG FF FG AF FG FG DD GG FF XX FF FG FG DF GF FG DF FF GG DF AA GF GF XD FX FX FG DX FX FF GG AF FA

@Nieno69 The first part of the decipher is to rearrange the columns into order. Because the message was not padded to make an equal length I am assuming that those columns with extra letters go in the first or second place. Above in my post 9th nov is all the combinations contained in two spoilers. There is also a zipfile  in an earlier post  that has these in separate files with frequencies. 

3 hours ago, Shootinfish said:

@Nieno69 The first part of the decipher is to rearrange the columns into order. Because the message was not padded to make an equal length I am assuming that those columns with extra letters go in the first or second place. Above in my post 9th nov is all the combinations contained in two spoilers. There is also a zipfile  in an earlier post  that has these in separate files with frequencies. 

Okok now I get it ?

So i clearly get the 6 letter thing and the 48 combinations...6 5/5 6 and permutation of 1 2 3 4... 

So the alphabet key is what is missing...

@Nieno69  Hopefully someone can confirm this but as far as i know the data i have provided is correct and these are the only possible combinations.
Also one of the devs posted that we didnt have the transposition key which is strange but maybe it contains clues to the alphabet key.
It seems somehow we are missing a step and trying to bruteforce the cipher which i think is possible but will take an organised attempt.
I keep going back to the MOTD number square I am sure it holds more data than has been found but i just cant find it

mAXB1Pm.jpg

1 hour ago, Shootinfish said:

@Nieno69  Hopefully someone can confirm this but as far as i know the data i have provided is correct and these are the only possible combinations.
Also one of the devs posted that we didnt have the transposition key which is strange but maybe it contains clues to the alphabet key.
It seems somehow we are missing a step and trying to bruteforce the cipher which i think is possible but will take an organised attempt.
I keep going back to the MOTD number square I am sure it holds more data than has been found but i just cant find it

mAXB1Pm.jpg

If you interpret the "A=" (left to the number square ) as alphabet =

You get MOBFT HEDAC GIJKL NPQRS UVWXY Z

Tried 24 combinations ...Dont get anything...

Also tried "a cat has lives" and "a ca has q lives" as alphabet key

Will try the other sentences which appear on the screen if I have time at the weekend...

Tried the normal abc....

I didnt get your last Post about that the bottom two and the top right square fill the top left? Can you explain this?

Archived