Seemingly Random text, or an encrypted message?

On the "Instructions" sheet of MotD, there's a series of words, each six letters in length. The second I saw this, I instantly thought that it's gotta be an encrypted message. All encrypted messages require a cipher, which is basically the key to solving the cipher. Now, you'll notice that at the bottom, there's two letters: AF which stand out as they don't belong to any of the 6 letter series of words. I'm thinking that THIS is the cipher, however I haven't deduced what the specific key is to solving the encryption. Here's the series of jumbled words for you guys:

GFFAGF

GGDDGF

FFXXFF

FGDFFG

FDGFFG

FDGGFF

FGFGAA

FXFXDX

XFXDGF

FAGGFF

AF

First thing you should notice is that the letters are all in groups of 6, disregarding AF. If this truly is a encrypted message, it's safe to say that these aren't all 6 letter words but that the message has simply been divided in such a way to simply make it easier to read. Removing such spaces would leave us with

FFGXGDGFFAGFGGDDGFFFXXFFFGDFFGFDGFFGFDGGFFFGFGAAFXFXDXXFXDGFFAGGFF

AF

I haven't included AF as i don't believe it to be part of the supposed encrypted message. I'm no expert at encryption so Please let me know what you guys think of this, and if whether or not anyone wants to chase this theory with me. Thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird, I counted how many of each letter there were (A4 d7 F27 G16 and X7)

I googled each of them and found that they were all airplane models, steam train models, or both. I wonder if the airplane is going to have a steam powered engine!? I'll keep looking

I don't know what to make of this. I usually look for words, but the only word I see reading both straight and sideways is "FAG" strangely enough. :lol:

But, @jerzy777 maybe after you build the plane you have to enter 4,27,16,7, in a key pad or something to activate it. And it flys you away from the island, only to go as far as the Golden Gate Bridge.

I googled each of them and found that they were all airplane models, steam train models, or both. I wonder if the airplane is going to have a steam powered engine!? I'll keep looking

You could be onto something there.

He's changes it now, but didn't Jimmy Z have a link on his twitter bio to the Watt Steam engine (here I think - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_steam_engine) a little while ago. Hence the theory that we were going to England in some coal mines for the next map (which we now know isn't the case :))

You could be onto something there.

He's changes it now, but didn't Jimmy Z have a link on his twitter bio to the Watt Steam engine (here I think - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_steam_engine) a little while ago. Hence the theory that we were going to England in some coal mines for the next map (which we now know isn't the case :))

Yes he did! That's exactly why I thought it was too much of a coincedence

I think I did this right.

Warden isn't the right key. Following the steps in reverse from the Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADFGVX_cipher)

1. Put the letters at the top of the columns in alpha order.

A D E N R W

G F F A F G

G G D D G F

F F X X F F

F G D F F G

F D G F F G

F D G G F F

F G F G A A

F X F X D X

X F X D G F

F A G G F F

A F

2. Re arrange the columns so the key is spelt corretly

W A R D E N

G G F F F A

F G G G D D

F F F F X X

G F F G D F

G F F D G F

F F F D G G

A F A G F G

X F D X F X

F X G F X D

F F F A G G

A F

(The formatting isn't working right on the last line. A should be under A and F should be under D)

3. Use the 5 × 5 Polybius square to de-crypt message

UVQ

SUH

VVY

CSO

CFU

VFU

ALS

EKN

NCR

VQU

A

Its called a ADFGVX Cipher. It is very hard to decrypt. With 1.55 x e^25 combinations by using the 5x5 Alphabet square (without the keyword) key words go by XXYYYY the first 2 letters have to be higher in the alphabet than the last 4. for example "ABCDEF" If you've got any ideas for the keyword. Compile them here guys!

Its called a ADFGVX Cipher. It is very hard to decrypt. With 1.55 x e^25 combinations by using the 5x5 Alphabet square (without the keyword) key words go by XXYYYY the first 2 letters have to be higher in the alphabet than the last 4. for example "ABCDEF" If you've got any ideas for the keyword. Compile them here guys!

Do you think the ADFGX sequence, as headers of the rows and columns for the alphabet square, would change or would they generally remain fixed in the order of ADFGX?

Guess what I'm wondering is if the alphabet table would ever change layout, or if it was more common to keep it consistent.

But that doesn't quite work here, you can't have the same letter more than once in each row.

In our sequence of letters there are multiple repeats in each row:

W A R D E N

G G F F F A

F G G G D D

F F F F X X

G F F G D F

G F F D G F

F F F D G G

A F A G F G

X F D X F X

F X G F X D

F F F A G G

A F

Okay guys, has any tried to use the graph that's located on the sheet?

If you look at the bottom right, you can see a table. Here's a crude representation of what it says

A =(?) 13 15 2 15

6 20 8 5

4 5 1 4

1 2 3 4

MOB OF THE DEAD 1234 is what this says. Take each number and relate to the Alphabet. 13 - M, 15 - O, and so on

If you look at the bottom right, you can see a table. Here's a crude representation of what it says

A =(?) 13 15 2 15

6 20 8 5

4 5 1 4

1 2 3 4

MOB OF THE DEAD 1234 is what this says. Take each number and relate to the Alphabet. 13 - M, 15 - O, and so on

You got it just before I did! Now, does this somehow relate to the code above? And why is there 1234 underneath? Maybe we're supposed to arrange it in a certain way?

A =(?) 13 15 2 15

6 20 8 5

4 5 1 4

1 2 3 4

You got it just before I did! Now, does this somehow relate to the code above? And why is there 1234 underneath? Maybe we're supposed to arrange it in a certain way?

Do you know how to do a ADFGX Cipher? read this article http://science.howstuffworks.com/code-breaker4.htm