Official Ranking System Discussion and Theories

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm certain you can drop well below the 200 mark without loosing rank. A friend of mine was as low as 140 from playing a ton of grief and still had not lost rank.

People who think that it is k/d are only tallying the co-op k/d and not the versus k/d, so if your friends k/d is as low as 140 from playing Grief, he is tallying the two stats together. If you tally only his co-op stats, he will not be as low as 140.

Still... if what Jimmy says is true, then k/d is nothing to do with it. It is all down to high rounds with no lower round downs.

That being said, I have seen too many people rank up at the 170 k/d mark to just dispell it. Jimmy has been wrong about his own game in the past after all.

Who do I need to sleep with to get some shot guns?

Got knife at 8500 kills and 30 downs.

Now nearly doubled my kills with 2 more downs but stuck on knife.

One user previously got shot guns at 10000 kills and 50 downs.

Why am I getting no love? None of my stats were glitched or hacked.

2rz9kzq.jpg

• Administrators

What have your match statistics been, Jay? If you have the tendency to down anywhere below Round 10 of a given game, your "rank score" becomes handicapped. So you could have 500 kills in a game with two downs in, say, Round 4 and 7. While that's an average 250 Kill/Down ratio, you still went down rather early in the game. Because of that, it negatively impacts your overall rank score so you won't rank up as fast as if you only went down beyond Round 10.

Tl;dr: Avoid downing early in the game as much as possible. It's okay to get several, several downs past Round 15 but any less will definitely keep you from ranking up even if it's only 1 or 2 downs.

This is just basing off what Jimmy Z tweeted.

Try getting to Round 30 flawlessly with randoms. Low round downs will curse your rank. Don't worry so much about kills. I'll attach my quote from page 1.

Category Detailed Description

Downs Survive 5 rounds without a down past Round 15 to get a A.

Survive 20 rounds without a down to get a distinction.

More than three downs per round gives you D.

Rounds Survive 5 rounds or less in a game, you get D.

Survive 20 rounds or more to get B.

Survive 30 rounds or more to get A.

Head shots Get a total of 500 head shots per game to get a distinction.

Earn 115 head shots to get a B.

You get a B for having 15 or more revives in a game.

Revives

Get three or more revives at any round past 20 and then clutch the same round to get a distinction.

Big spender You get a B for spending 30,000 or more per game.

Quit midgame You get a D if you quit the game after getting a kill.

Kills Get a total of 500 kills or more to get B.

Get a total of 1000 kills in a game to get A.

Get less than 10% of team kills in any round past 15 you get a D.

Distinction A+ and D's can only be earned once per category.

Any other grade can be achieved more than once.

A+ 40 points (Distinction)

A 25 points

B 10 points

D -10 points

F -100 points

Note: 3 D's will earn you a "F".

"F" will leave you bankrupt and give you a total of -100 points for that game.

Grief and turned stats will not be accounted for Ranks.

So lets take some test cases:

Case 1:

Player A joins a public game and these are his stats.

He survives 26 rounds, 4 downs( round 3, 5, 24, 25) 254 head shots, 12 revives, 800 kills and spends 50,000 points.

1. Downs: Total 4 downs, Survived 5 rounds without a down past round 15 twice (15-20, 20-25).

He will earn 2 'A's.

2. Round: Survived 20+ rounds earns one B

3. Head shots: Has more than 115 head shots earns one B

4. Revives: No grades earned.

5. Big Spender: Earns B here for spending more than 30k.

6. Quit midgame: 0 N/A

7. Kills: Earns one B for 500+ kills.

Total : 2A + 1B + 1B + 1B + 1B = 2A + 3B = 2 * 25 + 3 *10 = 50 + 30 = 80 points.

Let's say you need an average of 100 points or more for shotguns.

50 points or more for knife.

25 points or more for skull

10 points or more for crossbones

Case 2:

Player B joins a public game and these are his stats.

He survives 36 rounds, 34 downs( round 20, 27, 33(10 downs inactive),34(5 downs inactive),35(7 downs inactive),36(10 downs inactive, trolled by teammates) 474 head shots

, 12 revives, 2500 kills and spends 50,000 points.

1. Downs: Total 34 downs, Survived 5 rounds without a down past round 15 twice (15-20, 21-26).

He will earn 2 'A's.

Has more than 3 downs per round, gets a D. (Round 33)

Survive 20 rounds without a down, gets a distinction. (1-20)

2. Round: Survive 30 rounds or more, gets A.

3. Head shots: 115 head shots earns B

4. Revives: No grades earned.

5. Big Spender: Earns B here for spending more than 30k.

6. Quit mid game: 0 N/A

7. Kills: Get a total of 1000 kills in a game, gets A.

Get less than 10% of team kills in any round past 15, gets D.

Total : 2A + D + A+ + A + B + A + D = 4A, A+,1B, 2D = (4*25) + 40 + 10 - 20 = 130

Point calculation and rank determination

Let's say you need an average of 100 points or more for shotguns.

50 points or more for knife.

25 points or more for skull

10 points or more for crossbones

Conclusion:

This is a theory and the numbers are made up. I am definitely not certain about some things (like D grades and distinctions) but I believe I am right on target with downs and rounds. Basically not going down in the low rounds will give you better grades like A and that adds up to your rank.

You could do the same with solo, but solo is boring to you I know.

I agree with what way said, but I think it's also important to highlight that according to Jimmy, it isn't a sum of all activities, but more of a "what have you done for me lately" scenario.  I always like to mention that I ranked up to the knife less than a week after i had accidentally left my xbox on after a co-op game, and kept getting put in games while i was at work.  K/D went down from almost 100 to like 65. Still ranked up less than a week later after no early downs solo games into the 30's on die rise and mob

Here is the puzzling part I'm struggling to comprehend.

Got knife at approx 8500 kills, 30 downs. Which is a good indication ilmy stats are working.

Afterwards I have had Die Rise round 40 flawless, Die Rise 30 flawless, Town 20 flawless, Buried Flawless. Although both downs were found 1 careless gaffes.

6000+ kills and numerous flawless high rounds and I get no respect.

I truly believe revives count 0 toward your rank. I have more than 5 R/D and still no respect. My other account 3000+ revives on imbeciles, still no respect.

I think they hate me.

The only thing I can say here Jay is, you and I like most other (better than average) people, we have acquired several downs in process of learning when the maps came out fresh. I literally had a ton of downs playing solo and truth be told I never cared for it. I restarted hundreds of times after a down testing few strategies with or without jugg. This actually affected our rank negatively so much that you have to work extra extra hard to get to shotguns now. For me it is almost impossible and I got deranked to skull from knife recently on xbox. When I played on ps3, i.e. after a ton of experience from xbox, it was easy for me to not go down, so I never lost my shotties and also got very easy (like in a week). On XBOX I am never going to get it no matter how many flawless games I have. It is like a credit score.

Better try your luck on the 12 year old virgin.

The only thing I can say here Jay is, you and I like most other (better than average) people, we have acquired several downs in process of learning when the maps came out fresh. I literally had a ton of downs playing solo and truth be told I never cared for it. I restarted hundreds of times after a down testing few strategies with or without jugg. This actually affected our rank negatively so much that you have to work extra extra hard to get to shotguns now. For me it is almost impossible and I got deranked to skull from knife recently on xbox. When I played on ps3, i.e. after a ton of experience from xbox, it was easy for me to not go down, so I never lost my shotties and also got very easy (like in a week). On XBOX I am never going to get it no matter how many flawless games I have. It is like a credit score.

Better try your luck on the 12 year old virgin.

yeah same scenario for me, with the time I left my box on and got all those downs while my tv wasn't even on lol, add in to that when we very first found the quick revive persistent upgrade, not knowing downs could affect rank, i went down 34 times in round 1 on the lava so my buddies could get the upgrade thinking it was permanent lol

even with all that i still have an overall k/d of around 85 and a 116 if you exclude grief, but still I think the ship has already set sail on my ability to get to shotguns

• Administrators

I got mine back in tranzit. I had a similar k/d something like 500 or so, and had a knife. I played a lot of solo and would quit would I was bored. Then I got them around 25000 kills. Im not sure if that's the magic number, but I guess anythings possible. I see you play a lot of Die Rise so 5k should be one or two games worth of kills.

97pst3.jpg

Anyone else you know with 600+ K/D and 7+R/D but stuck on knife?

Where is the justice?

I do quit a lot in the mid to late teens to preserve the 0 downs, perhaps that contributes to it. This proves K/D isn't a big factor.

Oh yeah, that's exactly why... have to get recent high rounds to get promoted/stay promoted.  If you always quit out in the teens you'll likely avoid any progress

Journey to Shot guns is finally over.  It has been like waiting for that baby to come.  You know it will come, you just hope it comes at an convenient time.

21000 kills

33 downs

280 revives

Here is the puzzling part.

Got knife at 8500 32 downs 170 revives.

Since then

40 Die Rise 0 downs,

35 Die Rise 0 downs,

22 Town 0 downs,

22 Farm 0 downs,

22 Buried 0 downs,

as well as many other 0 down games.

at 20700 kills 32 downs 232 revives still knife.  But two more games earned me shot guns.

A game with Rissole in which we stood still and let zombies maul us on round 1.

A game on Farm I quit at round 11 after roughly 150 kills.

Like a highly anticipated movie with a stupid ending.

• Administrators

Like a highly anticipated movie with a stupid ending.

Welcome to the club, where you will be both admired and hated by the entire community. You can consider yourself a cheater, a god, a hacker, a master, a no life, a leader, and most importantly a glitcher. I got mine back in Tranzit, and this is all I've heard since.

Thank you Boomy.

Since getting shot guns I started playing MOTD.

Restarted quite often on round one either:

1. Key isn't by MP5

2. Nuke after 2x points when knifing 20 zombies

3. Nuke when feeding dogs.

After maybe 15 round 1 quits I found myself back to knife, even without any more downs and still holding a 700+ K/D.

Son of a bitch!

Thank you Boomy.

Since getting shot guns I started playing MOTD.

Restarted quite often on round one either:

1. Key isn't by MP5

2. Nuke after 2x points when knifing 20 zombies

3. Nuke when feeding dogs.

After maybe 15 round 1 quits I found myself back to knife, even without any more downs and still holding a 700+ K/D.

Son of a bitch!

i said this in my post earlier... its about high rounds.  just the kills and no downs isn't all. its about minimizing downs in early rounds and then getting to high rounds

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta say it's kinda funny to me seeing everybody make new accounts and quit out to preserve kd and not get shotguns because they don't realize it has nothing to do with their kd.

it's all about rounds

rounds rounds rounds

the only number you should be concerned with when looking to rank up is that big red one in the lower left of your screen!

• Administrators

gporter, on 06 Mar 2014 - 2:09 PM, said:

gporter, on 06 Mar 2014 - 2:09 PM, said:

I gotta say it's kinda funny to me seeing everybody make new accounts and quit out to preserve kd and not get shotguns because they don't realize it has nothing to do with their kd.

it's all about rounds

rounds rounds rounds

the only number you should be concerned with when looking to rank up is that big red one in the lower left of your screen!

That's incorrect, rounds factor into your ranking; but it is not the end all answer to achieving a higher rank. Most high round players have similar attributes (heaps of kills and limited downs in the early rounds). So from an outsiders perspective it would seem that is the key. A fellow slayer disproved this theory by getting to several high rounds without any kills (on buried). His rank did not budge. Several weeks later after achieving 20-25k kills he made max rank. There are many factors that create zombies rank, and a lone variable has yet to be proven.

right well you generally have to kill zombies to advance the rounds, and my guess is a certain number of kills are required to rank up... but to think you need to quit out instead of taking a down makes you no better than somebody who sits in walls and glitches ... just play the game and keep playing.. you will rank up if you advance to the high rounds more often, that much I do know.

Got my shotguns last march and have helped countless friends and random players rank up, it's really not as complicated as treyarch wants you to think.

High rounds

Low downs

(this generally comes with lots of kills)

It's about your kills and downs, possibly rounds but I cannot confirm that.

Those are multiplied (by 10000 I think it was) and added to (downs are subtracted from)  your 'score'.

I know this for a fact.

I imagine that if your total score (X) >= X needed for next rank, you'll rank up.

• Administrators

right well you generally have to kill zombies to advance the rounds, and my guess is a certain number of kills are required to rank up... but to think you need to quit out instead of taking a down makes you no better than somebody who sits in walls and glitches ... just play the game and keep playing.. you will rank up if you advance to the high rounds more often, that much I do know.

Got my shotguns last march and have helped countless friends and random players rank up, it's really not as complicated as treyarch wants you to think.

High rounds

Low downs

(this generally comes with lots of kills)

I would agree, I got mine running seemingly endless trains in the tunnel with the skull crusher. It was December following the games release. Aside from playing in excess; I have done very little to maintain rank aside from putting forth my best effort in the game. I have yet to de-rank. Which is surprising with the amount of challenges I do.

@slade lol what? so confusing

I'll just stick to the rounds per down theory

you want shotguns? go play die rise and pack the wall guns... get 1000 headshots and only a few downs per game, generally that takes you to about round 30+ with 4 players, most of the time somebody will quit before then though lol

lol what? so confusing

It actually makes a whole lot of sense if you break it down. (Let's give Rank the variable Z, score of each game = X, and your total score = Y)

Run BO 2 for the first time. Your total score (X) starts at 0. Imagine you need 1000 total for rank 1, then 3000 for rank 2, then 6000 for rank 3 etc. etc.

For each kill your score (Y) is increased, for each down it gets decreased.

At the end of each game, your kills and downs are both multiplied by the same variable (I think, not sure, this variable is the round you've made it to, I'll check on that), and then relatively added and subtracted to your score (Y).

Then your score gets added to the total score of your profile. (X + Y)

If (X+Y) > X Needed for Next Rank, then Z+1 (in english, you rank up)

It's like an RPG leveling-system, following basic logarithmic.

Treyarch just likes to mess with you so you think there's so much more to it.

[Probably way more complicated than it should be, but I'm a sucker for math]

I have yet to de-rank. Which is surprising with the amount of challenges I do.

To my knowledge, you can only de-rank if you play too many games where you have more downs than kills.

And you're not thaaaat bad, are you?  ;)

It's about your kills and downs, possibly rounds but I cannot confirm that.

Those are multiplied (by 10000 I think it was) and added to (downs are subtracted from)  your 'score'.

I know this for a fact.

I imagine that if your total score (X) >= X needed for next rank, you'll rank up.

definitely rounds.  case in point a few posts back someone claimed that to preserve k/d they would never go past about round 15  because of the risk of going down, and were confused why they never ranked up.

I'm pretty sure jimmy z already cleared this up, its avoiding downs in early rounds, and reaching high rounds whilst getting lots of kills.  jimmy z also alluded much much earlier that it was a "trail of breadcrumbs" if you will meaning its a picture of your most recent performances as opposed to your overall body of work. hence someone with a lot of overall downs could play well and reach max rank still.

obviously nothing is confirmed as fact, and it seems there are many different ways to skin this cat so to speak