Official Ranking System Discussion and Theories

Yes you can get shotguns by ONLY PLAYING SOLO.

Not true, a few of my friends had made new accounts played motd and buried mp. Within 4 games they were both on shottys. No solo play involved!

You read that wrong they were simply saying mplay isn't required to get shotgun rank, not that it was only possible with solo play.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I write here for the first time.

I'm performing some experiments to clarify the emblem system. In the experiments, I have obtained a result. The growth of emblem is different between Survival mode and Grief mode. I have already reported it to viewtopic.php?f=137&t=33098

1. When a new account is played at only Grief mode, the emblem is not grown.

2. The emblem is changed from single bone to shotguns suddenly, when the fully-grown account is played only one time at Survival mode.

3. When the account is Shotguns emblem, the emblem is not changed by increasing DOWNS.

Now I'm investigating the boundary condition to the Shotguns emblem. I'll report it, when I get the result.

I'm glad if this is helpful for everyone.

Thanks BinSys, I had no idea you created another thread about this or I might have overlooked thinking its grief. But It will be wonderful to have you research on these ranking emblems. Thank you very much good sir.

Very welcome and thank you for your reply. I had thought that the emblem at Grief mode may be written at a category of Grief mode. I'm sorry for late report. ^^;

I got a clarity result that the emblem at Grief mode is changed from single bone to shotguns suddenly. By obtaining some other results, a mathematical analysys can be used. So it will be able to bring a clarity parameter for changing to the shotguns to us.

I'll report it, when I got the parameter.

Kills:111,808 (Something along these lines.)

Downs: 770 (Again, Something along this area.)

k/d: 1.464

Highest round in solo or co-op: Round 45 with 2 in Buried.

Emblem or Rank: Skull with dagger, 4 tallies.

I'm working on my shotguns. I manage 1-2 downs per game with 1500-2000 kills. I understand that this is a high ratio and have heard that you have to reach 1.50KDR to reach your shotgun emblem. Anyone know how true this is? I have been striving for them for about two weeks now and am making decent progress I'd like to think. I consistently make 30+ rounds in my games. Can you achieve shotguns when playing in custom games?

Kills:111,808 (Something along these lines.)

Downs: 770 (Again, Something along this area.)

k/d: 1.464

Highest round in solo or co-op: Round 45 with 2 in Buried.

Emblem or Rank: Skull with dagger, 4 tallies.

I'm working on my shotguns. I manage 1-2 downs per game with 1500-2000 kills. I understand that this is a high ratio and have heard that you have to reach 1.50KDR to reach your shotgun emblem. Anyone know how true this is? I have been striving for them for about two weeks now and am making decent progress I'd like to think. I consistently make 30+ rounds in my games. Can you achieve shotguns when playing in custom games?

AFAIK downs from Custom games, Grief, Turned does not go towards your rank. To get shotguns, play a lot of multi-player games and do good in every game regardless of downs. Some actions in your game credit you more than the negative credit you receive from going down.

Example: Staying alive through the round when your friends go down hald way during the game, Getting so many head-shots per round, Not going down for 10 rounds...

These are some educated guesses and from my experience.

I've also noticed that playing solo-online games to high rounds build your kills/down ratio and helps your rank.

Thank You Way2Go. Appreciate this information. I have just been playing custom games. Guess I'll start having to do some MP matches with some friends.

One more concern here: Does this rule only apply to the shotgun rank? Because I had ranked up solely by playing custom games with friends to achieve the skull with knife. Must be just shotguns can't be obtained in custom games?

Thank You Way2Go. Appreciate this information. I have just been playing custom games. Guess I'll start having to do some MP matches with some friends.

One more concern here: Does this rule only apply to the shotgun rank? Because I had ranked up solely by playing custom games with friends to achieve the skull with knife. Must be just shotguns can't be obtained in custom games?

No, if you ranked up to skulls in custom then you shd be able to rank up to shotguns as well.

I would say just play regular solo or with a team and avoid custom zombies(mainly easy) cause your rounds wont ever register. If you are getting 1500-2k kills a game im assuming that what high 30's? I read someone's post who was experimenting and said consistent high rounds plays a higher factor than kdr it was a very long post and detailed but I can't vouch for him.

I call bullshit on all of this. What is so secret about giving us the official information on how to rank up. Treyarch sucks ass. Until then, it's all speculation. :x

The people with shotguns on this forum: Did you play in public or custom? Custom games don't register rounds, but it registers kills. Shouldn't that be the focal point? I don't know. I'm just about to give up and say screw it.

I finally got shotguns a week ago with these stats.

Kills: 340000

Downs: 1965

HEADSHOTS: 104k

K/D: 174 ish

If you are around here, do not lose hope! You are very close now. A little more and you will be at the shotties rank. Also, i play custom games to get here.

This was also an experiment. Here was my starting point:

-89 k/d

-july 14

-5k kills a day or more with no downs

-if i go down, i should have 500 kills to counter it.

In the end, here is my stats

-174 k/d

-august 16

-2k kills in a game of buried when acquired.

-highest round 51 on die rise

-high headshots (over 100k)

-CO OP KD: 200

Heres my thinking: you can play all the custom games you like, but after that, you must go to a solo game and go far. This then registers you, kinda like a save point. Each time you solo, the game changes its data about you to fit your stats since the last solo game. From there, do well and you should get it soon.

I should also mention my co op k/d is 200. So that may or may not affect this.

Alright thats it from me. Good luck everyone and WATCH THOSE DOWNS!!!!

I finally got shotguns a week ago with these stats.

Alright thats it from me. Good luck everyone and WATCH THOSE DOWNS!!!!

Thanks for sharing. I have been on and off with my shotguns rank on ps3 as well. I lost it for some reason and I got it back after a high round on Buried that I got 2000+ kills and 3 downs later I think.

I am fairly confident that it is ONLY your co-op stats that count in acquiring a higher rank. That way your vs. stats are NOT counted in (grief and turned). So when figuring, check those... I am at 149.5:1 right now, if 150 brings it up to shotguns I'll update, or whenever / if ever it does.

Theres a lot to go thru but my accuracy is 1.54 on co-op. 1.51 global, but i think my vs. is .44, i never play grief, so i guess if i up my stats on grief it would give me the knife, the last few rounds i played i have gotten 54 and 58, and 40's on the last two before that. Do we know if grief makes difference?

• Administrators

Theres a lot to go thru but my accuracy is 1.54 on co-op. 1.51 global, but i think my vs. is .44, i never play grief, so i guess if i up my stats on grief it would give me the knife, the last few rounds i played i have gotten 54 and 58, and 40's on the last two before that. Do we know if grief makes difference?

I've had my shotguns since last November, I played zero vs until about a month ago. So it's not a factor.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd been stuck on knife for ages so I started a new account quite recently to see if I could get shotguns, it took me about 3 weeks. I played mostly solo, highest round I got to would have been about 45ish. I didn't play any grief or turned, I actually ranked up in a custom game where I only got about 50 kills or so(I timed out). I think all the stats work together, as in they are compared with each other, so if you have this many kills you should have this many revives kinda thing. I say this because I thought I would have to get way over 10000 kills before I got shotties, so i think it's ALL a ratio thing, not just k/d. If I would guess the most important factors for ranking they would be k/d ratio, revives and accuracy. Here are my stats directly after getting shotties..

• 2 weeks later...

I have just obtained my shotgun rank tonight while playing Origins. No glitches, no cheats, just BALLS. Oh yeah, I feel very accomplished after such hard time and effort put into them. I am at a 1.70.4 KD ratio with a mark of 160,900+ kills and 944 downs. You DO NOT need to play in public matches to reach the rank. I have only played in custom matches on Easy since day one of BO2(Usually just my boyfriend and I. No need to play solo at all.) and have got them.

As far as how I've gotten them; I manage a 1,000 kill range with minimal downs for the most part(0-1 on average) as for the KD aspect of it. The funny thing is though, Is that when Origins first came out, I gave up on trying to get them because I would go down fairly often. A good 4 downs with like 50-150 kills. I think that as long as you maintain high kills each game, You will get there. Maintain an average of 900-1,000 kills every game and you will be boosted real quick. Don't glitch folks. It isn't cool and you obviously suck if you do. I say this because I know that a lot of people out there probably do glitch. Not on this board, but in the world. :roll:

I was so angry last night. I had gotten them last night, but due to me getting disconnected from LIVE for sign-in status changed bulls***, I had lost everything. My stats for that game didn't register at all, so I had lost them. Played again tonight and obtained them back. PLayed a couple of short games before the big one. I went down 3 times total tonight, one for each game, but still managed to get them. It could be that I needed something else in order to get them apart from the KD ratio. Maybe I needed distance travelled...(Origins is a good map for that stat.)

Headshots- 51% of my total kills

Accuracy- .85%

Kills: 160,900+

Downs: 944

Deaths: 300-400?

KD Ratio: 170.4

All Other Stats: 1,000+

Good luck to all of you out there trying to get them. Just keep playing your best in all areas of the game and you will see the results. It's difficult to tell exactly what is needed to get them because Treyarch are tools and don't inform anything on any section on the ranking system. So stupid!

• 4 weeks later...

I made a video documenting my stats with a friend to prove that k/d is not the only factor to rank up as it was thought.

way2g00's K/D: 21960/129 = 170.23 Rank : Shotties

Friends K/D: 21140/93 = 227.31 Rank: skull & dagger

As you can see my friend has a relatively higher k/d than me and still has a skull and dagger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQrOErNMzI

I have also updated the original post with what I think is happening with rank after Jimmy's tweet mentioning rank versus downs in low rounds and high rounds.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Assuming your kills are 155,000 on the nose your k/d  would be 163. Shotguns are normally obtained between 200-220 range. I got mine around 212 so I guess that's where the others factors come in so play. So the bare minimum you would need is 35,500 more kill with no additional downs (good luck with that).

Assuming your kills are 155,000 on the nose your k/d would be 163. Shotguns are normally obtained between 200-220 range. I got mine around 212 so I guess that's where the others factors come in so play. So the bare minimum you would need is 35,500 more kill with no additional downs (good luck with that).

At least I know where to start.

I have seen people with Shot guns at <150K/D radio. Has it been generally proven that 200+ is to obtain, but what is the number to maintain to stay at shot gun? I was too lazy to go through 24 pages of theories and guesses without much facts. You could understand that.