Denizens of the Forest theory.

OctopusChokeslam

Hello all! Longtime lurker and zombies player, Octopus Chokeslam here. I decided to refister an account so that I could post my current theory on Denizens of the forest and how this theory can impact the current storyline of zombies. Now I'd first off like to point out that these little monstrosities DO NOT seem to be zombies. I will list the reasons why.

Reason 1. No rotting flesh/Don't look dead at all

From what we've seen in all maps excluding NDU and Verrukt all the zombies seem to have a substantial amount of decomposure, which these creatures lack.

Reason number 2. No glowing eyes

Most creatures under the influence of a soul in the Aether will have glowing eyes, representing that they've been zombiefied, which these creatures lack.

Now my theory is that these creatures are actually Vril-ya and have been "awakened" so to speak by the large amount of nuclear damage on earth done by the missiles that hit earth, this theory is also supported by the fact that they come of the ground, they can fly AND their teleporting abilities. If this is true it will tie in with shangrila and richtofen in too many ways to count. Ending this post I will provide a few simple pictures of the creatures I've gotten off of google.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things to consider:

-The Vrill-Ya were described as at least human sized (larger I believe), walking on their two legs. These creatures are tiny, and seem to skitter along the ground. (haven't played it could be wrong).

-The Vrill-Ya carried around staffs that allowed them to control Vrill, and flew with wings that were mechanical.

-They were also described as having beautiful, sphinx-like faces, these things look more like the Gnarl from the Overlord series.

-I believe the Vrill-Ya would use the power of their staffs to attack people, seeing as they had the ability to "create or destroy", instead of simply clawing at your eyes.

-an probably be refuted more than my other points, but why would the Vrill-Ya feel the need to attack the survivors? Why not the Zombies? Why don't the Zombies attack them? The Vrill-Ya would probably destroy both the Zombies AND the humans if they decided to go on the warpath.

-The Vrill-Ya were also extremely intelligent, and jusging by these things and what they do, (again haven't played it) these things seem to have a bestial intelligence at best.

I just had a thought. We have never been 100% sure as to what were in those containers on Kino. These "denizens" seem like they would fit inside quite snugly.

That's quite intriguing actually. I'll get some pictures and compare.

EDIT: They are too tall, and the facial structure is different.

Some things to consider:

-The Vrill-Ya were described as at least human sized (larger I believe), walking on their two legs. These creatures are tiny, and seem to skitter along the ground. (haven't played it could be wrong).

-The Vrill-Ya carried around staffs that allowed them to control Vrill, and flew with wings that were mechanical.

-They were also described as having beautiful, sphinx-like faces, these things look more like the Gnarl from the Overlord series.

-I believe the Vrill-Ya would use the power of their staffs to attack people, seeing as they had the ability to "create or destroy", instead of simply clawing at your eyes.

-an probably be refuted more than my other points, but why would the Vrill-Ya feel the need to attack the survivors? Why not the Zombies? Why don't the Zombies attack them? The Vrill-Ya would probably destroy both the Zombies AND the humans if they decided to go on the warpath.

-The Vrill-Ya were also extremely intelligent, and jusging by these things and what they do, (again haven't played it) these things seem to have a bestial intelligence at best.

This doesn't have to go EXACTLY by the books interpretation of the creatures.

Not all zombies in modern media can run faster than a city bus, have glowing blue/orange eyes, are controlled by a nazi in a supernatural alien pyramid, and are created through a obscure element that only comes from meteors. If this should adhere too the the book then why not just go ahead and consider it canon? I'm not saying that you're not correct on a few things but what other explanation is there? This is just a theory

James C. Burns told us to look at the identical wounds in the backs of every zombie, as well as their collars. These imply that they were released from a hospital. This is also explained by the scrubs they wear. It doesn't seen like all of the people in a town would have identical wounds in need of repair do the most likely explanation there is that they were experimented upon.

Also we are pretty damn sure this takes place in Hanford, where parts of the manhattan project took place, which sets the scene for experiments. It seems the implication here is that zombies were captured and operated upon in a Hanford hospital it asylum in order to control cerebral function, thus trying to make a new super soldier army. This failed (naturally) resulting in the massive swarm of undead in the area being present.

But what else escaped from this hospital, asylum, or research lab? It seems the denizens were designed by the people operating near Hanford in order to act as a weapon alongside the undead.

Another idea this could tie into is the kino containers theory which leads to an even bigger theory.

Maybe the denizens were the monkey humanoid things in the kino containers, shipped out and used in new experiments. (it is possible the original implication is that the containers' occupants were intended to become nova crawlers since they are considered failed experiments and we're abandoned.) why would these be shipped from Germany to the USA? Either they were stolen, or maybe the implication is that Hanford and the manhattan project are directly linked to group 935?

But what do I know. I'm tired.

Some things to consider:

This doesn't have to go EXACTLY by the books interpretation of the creatures.

Not all zombies in modern media can run faster than a city bus, have glowing blue/orange eyes, are controlled by a nazi in a supernatural alien pyramid, and are created through a obscure element that only comes from meteors. If this should adhere too the the book then why not just go ahead and consider it canon? I'm not saying that you're not correct on a few things but what other explanation is there? This is just a theory

If we go by the logic that the Vrill-Ya don't have to go by how the Vrill-Ya are described in the original (and pretty much only) description of them, then we can pretty much say that the Vrill-Ya could be anything. Hell, the zombies could be Vrill-Ya, because that's how Vrill-Ya are in the zombies cannon. If they are something from another piece of literature, they should at least slightly resemble their original description in some form.

Also I don't see why you placed so much emphasis on it being a theory. It's a theory, so I'm placing evidence against it. If it doesn't hold up, then people should know that it is untrue.

Some things to consider:

Some things to consider:

-Humans did not slap passers-by.

-Humans did not scream randomly.

-Humans did not reanimate.

The idea is that these aren't regular Vril-Ya. But that they are mutated/zombified versions of them just like Zombies are to humans.

snip

The idea is that these aren't regular Vril-Ya. But that they are mutated/zombified versions of them just like Zombies are to humans.

It seems to me those would have to be some pretty freaking powerful mutations to affect such a powerful race with so many advanced ways to counteract and heal themselves and turn them into...that.

He stated in his original post that they were not zombies, for a number of reasons.

I believe the Vrill-Ya are simply too powerful and/or advanced to be affected this severely by whatever supposedly happened to them.

What did happen to them anyway? How were they mutated? Did 115 seep down through the Earth all the way down to Agartha and simply flood the place, eliminating any chance of dealing with the mutated/finding a way to reverse it?

Or was a being with almost godly power be captured from it's home in the centre of the Earth and subjected to human experiments? I don't think that could happen for quite a few reasons.

Denizen [ den-uh-zuh n ]

noun

1. an inhabitant; resident.

2. a person who regularly frequents a place; habitué: the denizens of a local bar.

3. an alien admitted to residence and to certain rights of citizenship in a country.

4. anything adapted to a new place, condition, etc., as an animal or plant not indigenous to a place but successfully naturalized.

Denizens of the Forest

Taken from this book -

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33516/33516-h/33516-h.htm#Page_51

Not really what were looking for but....

There are a lot of small creatures in folklore and media that resemble imps or goblins, take our friend Gnarl above, for example.

I will research imps, goblins, and the like, and see if I can find any similarities to these creatures, in terms of abilities, behavior, etc., and report back with my findings.

EDIT: Ok, so, Germanic folklore has a ton of tiny creatures that are all kind of related, but none that really seem to match our little friends here.

Some I have eliminated are:

Brownies: Tiny creatures that help around a house at night once the residing family are asleep.

Imps: Faeries that are constantly pulling pranks and practical jokes on people, mostly in the pursuit of fun. They are often portrayed as longing for human companionship. However, even if it found a friend, it would continue to play pranks on them. These jokes and pranks are rarely malicious in nature, but as you can imagine, are often annoying and quite the nuisance. No mention of flying or wings. (These are most likely a result of the imps gradual association with the Devil, and so would be portrayed with more demonic features.)

Goblins: Malicious faeries that are kind of like a meaner version of imps. They too play pranks and jokes on people. They are often described as the most repulsive of the faeries, actually resembling the DOTFs. Small, shriveled brown/grey skin. Large bulbous eyes, etc. They are however, not evil, (stated as "more annoying and obnoxious than truly wicked) and often will avoid killing people if they can.

Boggarts: are household spirits that cause misfortune, often causing milk to sour, dogs going lame, etc.

I KNOW that if the DOTFs are based on anything in mythology, they would be one of these related creatures from Germanic folklore and such. It's almost a freaking subspecies of mythological creature. I will continue my research tommorow.

Honestly, I think 3arc just designs stuff like this from a gameplay mechanic perspective, and then lets the community fill in how they fit into the zombies mythology. As in... they probably don't even know.

Hell, where did Samantha come from? A forum user interpreted one of the original zombies sound effects as the name "Sam", and the zombies team worked that into a story.

So the real question is... is 3arc writing the zombies story, or are we? Sometimes I think they just read fan "theories" and say "Yeah, that sounds good.... go with that."

This is nearly the exact thing I was thinking as I remembered this from shangri-la and the picture of these "denizens"

Altought the forehead is much larger on the skull, if these things aged completely i'm sure that those proportions would be similar. Who knows "Forest" may be a subtle hint from Treyarch that we've seen them in Shangri-La, although that is a jungle lol. :mrgreen:

-Blackopstiger/Jared

Honestly, I think 3arc just designs stuff like this from a gameplay mechanic perspective, and then lets the community fill in how they fit into the zombies mythology. As in... they probably don't even know.

Hell, where did Samantha come from? A forum user interpreted one of the original zombies sound effects as the name "Sam", and the zombies team worked that into a story.

So the real question is... is 3arc writing the zombies story, or are we? Sometimes I think they just read fan "theories" and say "Yeah, that sounds good.... go with that."

Lol exactly.

Btw, why they called "Denizens of the Forest"? Logical to call them "Denizens of the Fog" (but actually that not fog - it dust, so then "Denizens of the Dust") :roll:

Maybe there's a forest somewhere on the map that we haven't found yet because none of you are brave enough to venture out into the dust very far.

Imps & the Black Forrest.

I said this to Milo, they are demonic in nature.

Satan's minions.

Like I've been saying for a while, if you accept this as a fact not a theory, things get easier to understand.

Put yourself in the players shoes.

The world is on fire, zombies are everywhere.

Lava is flowing, lightning & thunder.

Then these little monsters start attacking you in the fog scratching your eyes out.

What would you call them...? Demons, monsters.

Then we have Treyarch's acknowledgement of the use of "Magic", Supernatural phenomena in action. Which has a very devilish satanic aire to it all.

Come on people 2+2 = the devils show right here.

They even told us this in Nightmare. I don't care what anyone says those songs are written for zombies. They contain clues aswell as outright confirmations.

Regards, Alpha.

"I was spawned from eternal night, by infernal rite, and I need your Carrion"

I don't know if I'm leaning towards them being Imps or Vril-ya OR mutants, my only problem with mutants is that the humans have obviously shrunken and learned how to fly, which doesn't seem scientifically possible considering the current tech in the Zombies universe