Praise For Black Ops II Story

Faust

Right off the bat here, I would just like to say how masterful I found the campaign mode in this game. The nonlinear story arch created a personal experience that I found amazing. I know this has been stated time and time again by sites that rate games like Black Ops II, but I would just like to deliver a personal statement by saying:

This has been the most memorable, and entrancing Call of Duty to date. From the bottom of my heart Treyarch, thank you.

PS...

Formal rhetoric aside... Chloe Lynch + Harper = Epic shipping... Pleaaaase let me have this piece of head canon.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself on the edge of my seat at almost all of the pivotal cut-scenes, the fast paced action had me full of adrenaline the whole time, and the story was absolutely mind-blowing.

Most of the decisions I made lead to very sad outcomes, but my god, this story was so amazing. Also, I don't think anything is ever going to beat the Menendez roid rage. I cannot wait to go back and play the campaign again for once. So many possibilities! :D

One of the best campaigns. No other CoD has made me hate the villain as much. Man I hated Menendez. And when Woods went to snipe Menendez, I knew straight away it was Mason. I shot the guards holding him first, but it failed me. Than tried to shoot that Noriega guy, but he was marked as an ally. Finally with no choice, whispered "Sorry Mason" (legit I said) and took the shot.

And than because it was Hudson being held captive made it worse (this part was vague, I still have to replay it to understand it properly). Than he said he had a family and Menendez slit his throat, that made me sad as well.

Than when I was playing as Farid in Yemen, I chose to kill Harper :( (I have no idea what the other choice would do, I assume the same situation). And than when Salazar betrayed us, than tried to shoot Karma ( :evil: ). Man that made me angry. Didn't kill Briggs (ran out of time because I couldn't decide, so Salazar knocked him out).

Mind you I was playing on Vet as well, so the Strike Force missions were near impossible. Only got the desert one done. I'm not sure how this will effect the story, but I'll find out.

The ending cutscene was so unexpected though. With A7X singing Carry On, Old Woods on drums, Old Menendez on guitar, Reznov in the audience, and Briggs dancing. It was quite amusing.

All in all, amazing! Stories that make you feel a ton of emotions are always the best, even if you don't want certain things to happen.

Anyone noticing a pattern though with protagonists dying? Dimitri, Mason, Hudson. Sad, but yeah. I wonder if David will share the same fate in 2 years?

I've got to say, I think BO1 had a better storyline. It was written like a true thriller novel. For this one I think Treyarch thought 'Oh shit, our other game was really popular!' and in MW style made a sequel. To their credit it was well written, shooting the bag with a man in it was gut-wrenching, and I grinned when I found out you didn't have to.

Despite it going against my vendetta against modern war games, I found it enjoyable. I just hope we don't have to see a 'Black Ops 3' in two years time. MW4 is a stupid idea as it is. I see it as a shame that they practically set up the sequel at the end, with all that Cordis Die stuff.

Treyarch could even break from CoD and Activision and make their own game, be it a FPS or a Zombie game. I'd love to see that!

^I agree with ust about everything you stated. I must admit, if someone was expecting a direct sequal to Black Ops, it would be a little disappointing. It jumped a gap of several years and left us guessing towards the meanings of the messages in the terminal. Dispite this though, I found myself not really caring, as the new story was just so much more engadging.

I've got to say, I think BO1 had a better storyline. It was written like a true thriller novel. For this one I think Treyarch thought 'Oh shit, our other game was really popular!' and in MW style made a sequel. To their credit it was well written, shooting the bag with a man in it was gut-wrenching, and I grinned when I found out you didn't have to.

Despite it going against my vendetta against modern war games, I found it enjoyable. I just hope we don't have to see a 'Black Ops 3' in two years time. MW4 is a stupid idea as it is. I see it as a shame that they practically set up the sequel at the end, with all that Cordis Die stuff.

Treyarch could even break from CoD and Activision and make their own game, be it a FPS or a Zombie game. I'd love to see that!

I don't think you'll have to worry about a sequel to Black Ops 2, games rarely (though sometimes they do) follow up to a game with multiple endings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

The controls are the same as Zombies and basically every CoD.

I don't like what they did with Jason Hudson. When he says to Woods he can't because he has kids, wow. Hudson never would of said that. That fact he was the mole? Yeah no. We aren't even given a full reasoning behind his motives (shame on Treyarch). Was David kidnapped during those 3 years? No. Was his family? Probably not, the CIA probably kept tabs on all it's members and their families. So why was he the mole? We'll never know (along with everything between the two games hinted at in the terminal) because everything had to focus on Raul Menedez.

BO1 Hudson never would have done the things that happened in BO2.

PS. I find Section to be the most boring generic protagonist in CoD. Only thing that makes him special is being Mason's son.

• 1 month later...

Spoilers, obviously.

I loved the branching storylines, but it could've been handled so much better. We don't really know the consequences of our actions. Kill Farid or Harper? DUH! Farid! Oh wait, I got the bad ending even though they gave me zero hint about it. I wonder how BO3 wiill handle it, considering the move from last gen to current gen. Will it have save files determine the status of the story? Or just make certain/most popular options canon?

David was a very boring protagonist that really held the story back. With Alex, you were actually invested in the story. What are those gosh darned numbers? Who are these interrogators? Why am I strapped in a torture chair?! With Davey boy, al lwe get is "my dad died, we gotta stop Menendez i guess". 

• 3 weeks later...

Good question... first, I hate that we didn't get any explanation of what happened to o4 after moon. (Except Richtofen if you did his side of EE through buried) next, the N4 story had so much potential, BUT because of the way we were left hanging with our 04 we as a community didn't give the N4 the chance they deserved imo. Because of the backlash it seems the N4 story was nixed. The story us long timers had come to love had no answers given. How we used to piece together the story (radios, ee, and character quotes to a lesser degree) were completely abandoned. We had one TV in transit. One tv in die rise, no story relevant in MOTD, and buried seemingly ended both N4 and o4 abruptly. Origins threw a wrench in all we have come to knowm maxis having his brain taken out? The 04 backstory of how they met completely changed. It was a disgrace story wise imo. Half assed amd rushed. I can accept it was a kids game all along. They have been hinting since Der reise. I just feel they got lazy and unimaginative with the story line.